Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Inspired Figment

I agree. However, he should still have a new and more likeable ride without the imagination institute plastered all over it. I believe there was an interview from Defunctland with Ron Schnider in it (the original Dreamfinder) and he also came up with a cool new take on the ride.

It would be where the guests wouldn't just go on a amazing journey into the imagination but would allow guest to become their own dreamfinders and create amazing things. It would would be in the spirit of the original but with a modern take on the idea. I love it. What do you guys think?
I personally don’t like it. If there’s no Figment or Dreamfinder characters. It defeats the point entirely. I felt the original ride was a perfect representation as is. It was timeless, perfectly classic Disney. I felt the way they introduced the characters and the way it was executed was perfect. All it needed was slight updates. New animatronics, updated effects, updated scenery, an updated science scene, and the finale redone with traditionally animated Figments as opposed to puppets, and presto. You’ve got an instant hit. I say, if they wanna do a brand new attraction starring Figment and Dreamfinder, put it in Magic Eye Theater

Last edited:

FigmentJedi

I personally don’t like it. If there’s no Figment or Dreamfinder characters. It defeats the point entirely. I felt the original ride was a perfect representation as is. It was timeless, perfectly classic Disney. I felt the way they introduced the characters and the way it was executed was perfect. All it needed was slight updates. New animatronics, updated effects, updated scenery, an updated science scene, and the finale redone with traditionally animated Figments as opposed to puppets, and presto. You’ve got an instant hit. I say, if they wanna do a brand new attraction starring Figment and Dreamfinder, put it in Magic Eye Theater
Actual appearances from Figment and Dreamfinder could very easily work with Ron's concept. Put them in the role of trainers showing you the ropes of Dream collecting and recombining and have them in vignettes that the guns can interact with.
Like imagine adding things into that mural Dreamfinder is painting or rescuing Figment from the book monsters.

The Duck

I've experienced all three versions of Imagination as an adult (yes, I'm old). I remember the first time that I saw the second version and it was a shock to the senses. What had been a beautiful, whimsical and magical attraction that filled people with awe, had been transformed into a boring, cold and lifeless shell of it's former self. Some scenes were almost eerie but in the end, ice cold and dead. The fact that it was considerably shorter than the original ride was actually a blessing. In spite of this, I quickly got back in line to see it again to make sure that I saw what I thought I saw. As far as the current version. It's only slightly better than the second one and that's not saying much.

Bender123

I've experienced all three versions of Imagination as an adult (yes, I'm old). I remember the first time that I saw the second version and it was a shock to the senses. What had been a beautiful, whimsical and magical attraction that filled people with awe, had been transformed into a boring, cold and lifeless shell of it's former self. Some scenes were almost eerie but in the end, ice cold and dead. The fact that it was considerably shorter than the original ride was actually a blessing. In spite of this, I quickly got back in line to see it again to make sure that I saw what I thought I saw. As far as the current version. It's only slightly better than the second one and that's not saying much.

The weird thing is tat the original was outdated only in its screen portions...It would have been fairly simple to update the science section with HD video of science stuff, update the ending "picture" for photopass and some other simple fixes. Its just so strange they spent far more to "upgrade" the ride to V2 when they could have spent far less to just fix the minor issues with the first.

Then there is the turntable...I know there were always tech problems with it, but could that have been rebuilt with more modern hardware and software?

Bocabear

If true that would be amazing! A ride about emotions? So much they could do with that, I hope this rumor turns out to be true.
I for one hope this rumor is only true in part... YES! create an attraction based on Inside Out...I know everyone is on board with this, but PLEASE put it in the Wonders Of Life pavilion and NOT in the Imagination pavilion...Overhaul Imagination and restore the Dreamfinder to his palace of Imagination...

montyz81

I suspect with today's technology, the turntable would be an easy thing to pull off.
To my point earlier, and strangely this came out today, here is how advanced turntable technology has become. Watch how the car is synced with the video:
The video synced with the rotating car is something they could easily do with this ride.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
I don't think they'd ever rebuild the old ride. Best we can hope for is a new ride with the same sense of wonder and whimsical feeling as the original, and starring DF and Figment.

MrWarners14

I totally get you on that. However, I can only imagine (no pun intended) how the Imagineers would handle a modern take on this attraction. It seemed like an interesting take on the idea but I would be open to others that capture the essence of the original in the modern day. Personally, I'd love Marvel to do something further with the Figment comics and adapt it with Disney into a new ride from there. That would make for great attraction material.

Christian Fronckowiak

In the Parks
Yes
I totally get you on that. However, I can only imagine (no pun intended) how the Imagineers would handle a modern take on this attraction. It seemed like an interesting take on the idea but I would be open to others that capture the essence of the original in the modern day. Personally, I'd love Marvel to do something further with the Figment comics and adapt it with Disney into a new ride from there. That would make for great attraction material.
Well the Marvel IPs ARE making their way into Epcot...

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Well, if you'll remember from @marni1971 's excellent tutorials, the primary technical challenge they faced in the original JII was keeping the hybrid omnimover cars synchronized with the rotating scenery in that opening sequence, which would be a piece of cake today with the trackless vehicles. So I could see a bit of a revision, with a circular drive and sequenced introduction, then a large open area in which ride vehicles would bounce from station to station in a seemingly random fashion, exiting through the recreation of the final Imagination Chorus sequence.

AJDMB05

The weird thing is tat the original was outdated only in its screen portions...It would have been fairly simple to update the science section with HD video of science stuff, update the ending "picture" for photopass and some other simple fixes. Its just so strange they spent far more to "upgrade" the ride to V2 when they could have spent far less to just fix the minor issues with the first.

Then there is the turntable...I know there were always tech problems with it, but could that have been rebuilt with more modern hardware and software?
I always thought it was considered costly and complicated in 1998 to fix the turntable scene. I'm not sure if I'm misremembering something, but I thought insurance and ADA compliance was a main reason for shrinking the pavilion's "show area" from 2 floors to 1 floor. They would have to move Imageworks, which was going to shrink the footprint of the actual ride anyway. The whole thing felt like a series of cost-cutting measures.

At the same time, Honey I Shrunk The Audience was popular and had only been opened 3 years prior. Maybe they just thought, the show is popular, we have to renovate the ride (it was ~15 years old at that time anyway), let's base it around our new popular show. Personally I always hated HISTA and thought it had very little to do with the Imagination pavillion. I would have loved to see a movie that was essentially Magic Journeys 2. In fact, I'd love to see them just remaster Magic Journeys and bring it back ala Captain EO in 2009.

MerlinTheGoat

Journey+04+Ride+Layout.jpg

Journey+33+with+Figment+2.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom