Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

Bender123

Im still just amazed they have a wildly popular merch sales IP created for the parks and have not expanded it beyond Epcot. Figment is over 35 years old, at this point, is the character associated with virtually every Epcot festival and, despite the degradation he received via his currently awful ride, continues to be very popular.

Im so used to seeing the complaint that the parks are importing too much IP that its so strange to see Disney failing so hard to reverse that flow and export a known successful IP out of the parks.

pdude81

Im still just amazed they have a wildly popular merch sales IP created for the parks and have not expanded it beyond Epcot. Figment is over 35 years old, at this point, is the character associated with virtually every Epcot festival and, despite the degradation he received via his currently awful ride, continues to be very popular.

Im so used to seeing the complaint that the parks are importing too much IP that its so strange to see Disney failing so hard to reverse that flow and export a known successful IP out of the parks.
They have done it in the past with success; it's just odd that they haven't tried with this particular dragon

pdude81

Again, I agree but is that the Disney of today? No. It's IP based rides. We need to accept it and hope for the best.

That’s what they want you to say.

hlflfn648w501.jpg

FigmentJedi

The comic books have been strong sellers and very popular with kids at libraries and schools.

Kman101

That’s what they want you to say.

Maybe so.

But what can be done to stop it?

The mass public wants IP. They do. People are genuinely excited for Pixar Pier. For Guardians. For Tron. For Star Wars. People that aren't typical Disney parks fans. Not saying I entirely agree with the approach, of course.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Maybe so.

The mass public wants IP. They do. People are genuinely excited for Pixar Pier. For Guardians. For Tron. For Star Wars. People that aren't typical Disney parks fans. Not saying I entirely agree with the approach, of course.
And there’s many against what you mention. A lot of mass public doesn’t care what it gets so long as it’s "at Disney". Even then they don’t know what they’re getting but it must be good due to the brand.

It doesn’t excuse putting cross promotion IP where it’s not needed or doesn’t belong. If we were to follow the standards of old.

Last edited:

Kman101

And there’s many against what you mention. A lot of mass public doesn’t care what it gets so long as it’s "at Disney". Even then they don’t know what they’re getting but it must be good due to the brand.

It doesn’t excuse putting cross promotion IP where it’s not needed or doesn’t belong. If we were to follow the standards of old.

I never said I was for all them. Not sure why you needed to mention there's many against what I mentioned, I know that Martin :)

What's Rat, Mary or Tron cross-promoting? (meaning it's not some blatant shoving of IP like Nemo was, like Frozen was, like Guardians, Monsters in Tomorrowland, is so I don't lump it all together though I understand why some do)

It was a genuine question of 'what can we do'. Wasn't trying to be snarky :) Bemoaning on a message board that ideals from 1982 aren't upheld isn't going to change what they do. So I want to seriously know what can be done. Clearly they do what they want. There's nothing wrong with wanting to hold them to certain things but it seems stubborn at times and no one is willing to bend even the slightest.

It's not quite as simple as you lay out though (many actually do care, not that just that it's "a new ride at Disney", neither of us have scientific polling to back us up, personally, so neither of us can say what the mass public truly feels). And to be fair, it's your personal opinion on IP and where it's not "needed" or "doesn't belong". It's nice and all that World Showcase didn't have IPs or characters in 1982, I think it's fantastic they didn't, but in certain cases it's not realistic in 2018 (but I'm not saying everything should or needs to be IP, but I don't see why some of you hardcore purists can't meet in the middle on a few of these things, is it really fun to be so staunchly against something?).

The majority of guests, right or wrong, don't think like we do, and some of you make it seem 'wrong' to feel anything otherwise, who are we to tell someone how to enjoy or like the parks? It's really nothing to do about having a separate opinion in this case. But we're actually on the same page about the casuals being the problem, I believe, so that's why I genuinely asked "what can we do"? Hating IP for the sake of it isn't stopping it from coming, is it? I also understand some of it is Disney manipulating guests to accept and want IPs. I get the frustration over certain thing.

You realize many guests have no idea what Epcot could be or was, right? If a guest isn't educated, then how are they 'wrong' for wanting what they want?

I was pointing out crap like Pixar Pier asking what we can do to stop things like this but I get the usual response, lol. I guess my sincerity in the question was lost.

Last edited:

Kman101

RSoxNo1

Maybe so.

The mass public and the companies that feed them are risk averse. The mass public wants quality, but they gravitate towards familiarity because they understand it.

draybook

Get your pitchforks and torches ready, but I just recently found out via a YouTube video that the "step-down" in the current Image Works used to be the turntable from the original ride. Mind... blown.

capsshield

The mass public and the companies that feed them are risk averse. The mass public wants quality, but they gravitate towards familiarity because they understand it.
no doubt about that but if the IP use contains quality you get a super success

A lot of times when I read these forums I read a lot of hate and disgust for IP's. Everything Disney does involves IP's. If you love Disney you really love their IP's. Even the countries in Epcot are IP's. They are Disney's version of those places.

I'll admit sometimes they put IP's together that feels like its a stretch to put them together, but they do have limited space, money and time to work with, and yes I know about the billions in profit they make every year.

They could have added Frozen to the Magic Kingdom when they were working on the Fantasyland expansion and replaced the speedway or Dumbo or even went further back, but they chose to add it to Epcot and that decision will probably make a lot more money for the company.

A lot of readers won't like this, but I don't think they should stop there either. Bring back an updated Snow White dark ride for Germany and a Pinocchio ride for Italy. Add a ride using the folk heroes of the united states behind the American pavilion on par with Splash Mountain, a Cave of Wonders in Morocco, a Mulan coaster in China, Coco in Mexico, India with the Jungle Book and change the name to The Discovery Kingdom. Then change the name of the studios to the Fantasmic Kingdom and the Animal Kingdom to the Wild Kingdom.

Come visit the four kingdoms of Walt Disney World.

And after saying all that I hope they continue to take chances and develop new IP's like the pirates, Haunted House, or Jungle Cruise.

I hope one day it takes two or three days to see each park because they are filled to the brim with IP's.

Remember every IP was once an original idea.

DreamfinderGuy

Get your pitchforks and torches ready, but I just recently found out via a YouTube video that the "step-down" in the current Image Works used to be the turntable from the original ride. Mind... blown.
This isn't 100% true, the turntable was split up to become queue, load, first scene (preshow, if you could call it that) and a small portion of the current Image Works (marked by the cylindrical pattern and a ramp, as you mentioned)

Higginbotham587

I never said I was for all them. Not sure why you needed to mention there's many against what I mentioned, I know that Martin :)

What's Rat, Mary or Tron cross-promoting? (meaning it's not some blatant shoving of IP like Nemo was, like Frozen was, like Guardians, Monsters in Tomorrowland, is so I don't lump it all together though I understand why some do)

This is actually my very first post having read Martin for years now. I for one see it the way you do Kman101.

Martin's point re Epcot is a lot stronger in Future World, which as originally conceived and implemented was an amazing idea and truly inspiring and educational. The World Showcase even as originally conceived is a bad joke -- the idea that Americans (largely Americans) should believe that the UK is anything like that pavilion, or that any of the countries are anything like those pavilions, is laughable from day 1 and the whole concept is sort of cheapening in my view. Therefore turning the World Showcase into a sort of awesome "International Land" extension of the Magic Kingdom where each pavilion is linked up with a Disney film that is based directly (Mary Poppins; Rat) or loosely (Frozen) in the same culture, is actually quite cool. And if there were space for this at the MK it would fit right in, and even as a blank slate idea sounds great. I can easily talk myself into thinking this is better than the original World Showcase concept.

So I end up basically agreeing with Martin that Guardians and Nemo are sad for Future World, but disagreeing that Frozen, Mary Poppins, Rat, are bad for the World Showcase.

Higginbotham587

no doubt about that but if the IP use contains quality you get a super success

A lot of readers won't like this, but I don't think they should stop there either. Bring back an updated Snow White dark ride for Germany and a Pinocchio ride for Italy. Add a ride using the folk heroes of the united states behind the American pavilion on par with Splash Mountain, a Cave of Wonders in Morocco, a Mulan coaster in China, Coco in Mexico...

And low and behold someone has said what I thought already. This is what I mean by International Land.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom