Rumor Inside Out to Replace Journey into Imagination with Figment?

RobotWolf

Not this again? It's been discussed for years and years about how a trackless ride system needs a solid flat surface in order to work. Imagination doesn't have that.

I don't believe it has been implemented, yet. But I'm almost positive that one of the main patents for the technique specifically mentions graded surfaces.

I'm not saying it'd work at IMAG with the "And what about science ..." drop (Does it still exist?). Just saying flat is not an absolute requirement. It just has limitations on how much of a slope the vehicle itself can handle. Raven's main point stands. I'm just adding detail on the trackless system itself.

Something else that would be a supreme pain to implement trackless would be filling in the trough for the existing track.

Having said all that, given an appropriate surface, the Mystic Manor story and layout could be copied almost one for one. Lord Henry Mystic becomes Dreamfinder. And Albert becomes Figment. Change the Manor itself into the Dreamport. And keep the ride experience almost identical.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I don't believe it has been implemented, yet. But I'm almost positive that one of the main patents for the technique specifically mentions graded surfaces.

I'm not saying it'd work at IMAG with the "And what about science ..." drop (Does it still exist?). Just saying flat is not an absolute requirement. It just has limitations on how much of a slope the vehicle itself can handle. Raven's main point stands. I'm just adding detail on the trackless system itself.

Something else that would be a supreme pain to implement trackless would be filling in the trough for the existing track.

Having said all that, given an appropriate surface, the Mystic Manor story and layout could be copied almost one for one. Lord Henry Mystic becomes Dreamfinder. And Albert becomes Figment. Change the Manor itself into the Dreamport. And keep the ride experience almost identical.
The pavilion itself isn’t the issue. There’s a flat concrete base in there. The undulating track bed would need to be taken down to the base level.

Same for trackless - in itself it isn’t a problem. Motors are strong enough to handle a small grade. The problem is fail safe automatic brakes strong enough to kick in should the ride E stop on a gradient.

Last edited:

trainplane3

I just saw the video someone posted- i'm going to have to watch it tonight! I more or less like it because of Figment (not really quality), and the song. This is one of the few attractions I really am sad I missed- my first visit to WDW was 1987, but 1 day at Magic Kingdom only (I was 5...) and my next visit was January 2005...some time had passed, as had a ton of other attractions :(
I personally enjoy the music from the original ride more then the current one as well. While the new songs are good, there's something that sounds too "perfect" (clean? synthesized?) with them. Especially the finale in the current one. I think the marching band version of it (in the old version) is much more enjoyable. It's not in your face and it has a nice charm to it.

But for sure, watch the video. And then watch Martins Journey into YOUR Imagination next just so you can see how much of a step down it was and what they had to work with for the current version.

WDWTank

I hate to say it...But, The only other way to get Figment back to the masses of Kids in a better way......Would have to go the Disney Junior route. Using the ideas of Imagination and a way to explore the world around you would better benefit the idea of Figment in his original form being a dragon of "Child-Like" Wonder in his world of "Figonia" Which he created in the Educational short "Would you Eat a Blue Potato?" Even doing 11 min segments during the day or whenever on the 24 hour channel it would at least get him out there to help the ailing pavilion for a turn around....I am just surprised that Disney has Never gone this direction for the character..

Now that is the solution! :D

RobotWolf

The problem is fail safe automatic brakes strong enough to kick in should the ride E stop on a gradient.

That makes a lot of sense.

I wonder, if the downhill path were straight enough, maybe the vehicle could temporarily mount a set of roll-back dogs (like on a coaster lift hill) but backward relative to the vehicle's forward motion. They could be set to engage on E-stops and power disconnects. (Just spitballing)

crxbrett

The original was one of the best dark rides Disney's ever created. It would sit up there with HM, Horizons, and SSE (It's early so I probably forgot a couple other rides). Now? It's just bad. It can't compare to the original. If you like the current ride, the original would've blown your mind.

In his original form, he was child-like (without being annoying) and was curious about everything. The current version sets him up as a jerk. Well, a likable jerk I suppose.

Adding to what you already mentioned, other reasons I would say why the original was so much better was it was quite a bit longer, had a lot more scenes, the music & score were better and the scope and detail in the sets/scenes was much more grand. Some of the rooms in the original were amazing and had so many different things happening. There was a very good amount of kinetic energy and creativity in the original. The new one feels somewhat cramped, empty and bare compared to the original.

matt9112

giphy.gif

Well grab up a seat and enjoy Martin's tribute video of the original version and the original Imageworks.

I just watched this....on my TV with a few beers. what the hell happened! how on earth did we end up with whatever the **** ride I have gone on inside? it looks like they reused the ride cars (and destroying the high capacity nature) and replacing a wonderful masterpiece with god only knows what. whoever did this should be in prison. whoever decided what we have now is a good idea is an awful human being.

I feel offended that I am thesame species as a person who allowed this pavillion to get to this point. God I thought epcot was magical when I was younger....I don't know what magic is.

that is all.

trainplane3

I just watched this....on my TV with a few beers. what the hell happened! how on earth did we end up with whatever the **** ride I have gone on inside? it looks like they reused the ride cars (and destroying the high capacity nature) and replacing a wonderful masterpiece with god only knows what. whoever did this should be in prison. whoever decided what we have now is a good idea is an awful human being.

I feel offended that I am thesame species as a person who allowed this pavillion to get to this point. God I thought epcot was magical when I was younger....I don't know what magic is.

that is all.
I posted it a few posts up but watch part 2. It's very short and for good reason! But Martin got a hold of the source audio for the ride which is honestly great and makes it well worth the watch (at least to Epcot music nuts like me):

Did you ever ride that work of art? Could you imagine the sheer disappointment ~7-8 year old me had when I rode it? Could you imagine the other very unhappy people in my train? Obviously WDI didn't imagine anything at all. We waited about a 1/2 hour for it. This was soon after it opened. I remember asking "why did they ruin it?" to my parents. They obviously didn't have an answer but they were speechless as well. It honestly made me think Disney just didn't care anymore. I got that same feeling when WoL closed.

FigmentJedi

I posted it a few posts up but watch part 2. It's very short and for good reason! But Martin got a hold of the source audio for the ride which is honestly great and makes it well worth the watch (at least to Epcot music nuts like me):

Did you ever ride that work of art? Could you imagine the sheer disappointment ~7-8 year old me had when I rode it? Could you imagine the other very unhappy people in my train? Obviously WDI didn't imagine anything at all. We waited about a 1/2 hour for it. This was soon after it opened. I remember asking "why did they ruin it?" to my parents. They obviously didn't have an answer but they were speechless as well. It honestly made me think Disney just didn't care anymore. I got that same feeling when WoL closed.

Imagine JIYI being part of your first trip to Disney World after some occasional encounters with the character in souvenirs at your cousin's house or reading about the original in stuff like a 1996 Birnbaum's Guide, the local library's copy of that 1982 Making of Epcot book, and an 80s-era Epcot map your parents saved in a scrapbook from a trip years before you were born, which you looked into because WDW Inside Out really got you intrigued by the idea of the Disney Parks. Like you see all this stuff about a fun ride with a cool dragon, but you end up greeted by a Condescending Middle-Aged British Man who tells you that you suck. And then you discover what that thing you were denied looked like in the form of some RealMedia video you find on the internet shortly after the damage control version that gave Figment the voice of your favorite Muppet opened.

Because that's my story.

Inspired Figment

My story is one day back in late 2012, I was looking up forgotten Disneyland attractions when Dragonrider’s 3 part Journey into Imagination ride through came up in the related section. I clicked on it... and well, the rest is history. Being a native Californian and Disneylander, I never had any prior knowledge of Figment or that ride as a child. But that didn’t stop me from becoming a fan. I fell in love with the whole concept, the scenery, the music, and the characters. As time went on I started to do a lot more research about the attraction, how it changed, etc.. and I eventually went to Epcot and experienced the current attraction in July 2013. Needless to say I was also disappointed with the changes. Later on in 2014 I eventually met and spoke with Tony Baxter himself at a Marvel Disney Kingdoms: Figment hardcover signing event and he spoke to me for a while about the development of the original ride and how much it meant to him and we both agreed that the current 2002 one was a huge disappointment. But yeah.. anyway, I’ve been rallying for the original to return ever since I first discovered it. Hopefully one day Disney finally delivers. Though I’m trying not to get my hopes up. Seems very likely with the push of Figment exposure in merch and events recently though... so you never know

Last edited:

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
The pavilion itself isn’t the issue. There’s a flat concrete base in there. The undulating track bed would need to be taken down to the base level.

Same for trackless - in itself it isn’t a problem. Motors are strong enough to handle a small grade. The problem is fail safe automatic brakes strong enough to kick in should the ride E stop on a gradient.

Also not a problem brakes of this type are used on industrial production lines,

The cylindrical portion on the rear is the brake, The brake engages when the motor loses power and disengages when motor starts.

1522172088738.png

brb1006

That version got so much backlash that there was websites that were made such as "Save Figment" if my memory is corrrect and another site similar to savetoad.com for the original attraction both made between 1999 till 2002.

brb1006

Imagine JIYI being part of your first trip to Disney World after some occasional encounters with the character in souvenirs at your cousin's house or reading about the original in stuff like a 1996 Birnbaum's Guide, the local library's copy of that 1982 Making of Epcot book, and an 80s-era Epcot map your parents saved in a scrapbook from a trip years before you were born, which you looked into because WDW Inside Out really got you intrigued by the idea of the Disney Parks. Like you see all this stuff about a fun ride with a cool dragon, but you end up greeted by a Condescending Middle-Aged British Man who tells you that you suck. And then you discover what that thing you were denied looked like in the form of some RealMedia video you find on the internet shortly after the damage control version that gave Figment the voice of your favorite Muppet opened.

Because that's my story.
I don't even want to imagine how you felt when you first visited Imageworks or seeing the Figment cameo near the end.

MrWarners14

At this point, I have a feeling Figment is here to stay. I hope I’m right.

I agree. However, he should still have a new and more likeable ride without the imagination institute plastered all over it. I believe there was an interview from Defunctland with Ron Schnider in it (the original Dreamfinder) and he also came up with a cool new take on the ride.

It would be where the guests wouldn't just go on a amazing journey into the imagination but would allow guest to become their own dreamfinders and create amazing things. It would would be in the spirit of the original but with a modern take on the idea. I love it. What do you guys think?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom