Incredibles to replace COP?

jmvd20

No duh the CoP doesn't get alot of people on it!

The attraction was built to house vast amounts of people at the NY World's Fair. A new theater becomes available every 4 minutes and can hold over 200 people!

The attractions sits in a boring and unassuming building in the corner of tomorrowland. The attraction has no sponsor, no major advertising, nada.

It's not the ride's fault, it's the way Disney has taken care of the ride.

The ride is not just a Walt Disney created ride, but also a World's Fair legacy and one of the few Disney rides to be moved from one Disney park to another.

The ride wasn't moved from California to Florida because people hated it. Walt Disney himself on the wonderful world of color said all of his world's fair attractions would have a PERMNANET home at Disneyland.

A copy of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was already there. It's a Small World came to Disneyland in 1966. The Huge Magic Skyway attraction was going to occupy the land that now houses space mountain and the once original location proposed for adventure thru inner space.....but with no sponsorship from Ford, and the high costs of shipping every show scene back to california, Disney only had the famous dinosaur scene come to california. T

The Carousel of Progress moved to FL because Disneyland has so many repeat visitors. They see the same thing over and over. GE and Disneyland execs were not happy with GE advertisement and the message the ride was trying to get across. Rather than scrap the ride...they invested in moving it to Florida because they knew it would do better.

And it did. With an updated show, new song, etc, the CoP did have long lines in the 70s and early 80s.

Over the years the lines have gotten shorter.

CoP does stick out in a tomorrowland of a random indy speedway and stitch and monsters. The CoP should either be moved to a more appropriate place or sold to an entity than can maintain the ride.

I am no big fan of the current version of the CoP, but the CoP does have a rich and historical past, if you were to exclude cinderella's golden carousel, the CoP is the oldest attraction in all of WDW.....that being the first three show scenes.

The ride is unique, creative, and immersive, it's just needs TLC and a good fix-up, not a demo permit.

Very well stated, however I must ask - Since when is it a good idea to apply logical arguments, thoughts, and ideas to a situation such as this? ... :D

Expo_Seeker40

Logic must be applied when we are discussing topics such as how Siemen and giant golf balls are related to each other, Churros, TTA love, and castle christmas lights. :lookaroun

MojoMax

Well throw me into the Please don't go CoP crowd. I wish it could stay and be given some needed TLC. If it must go I would think there is a good place for an updated version located in EPCOT in say an empty pavillion we see rotting before our sad eyes.....WoL!! Could be a nice fit....doubtful.....but nice!

ConnerLives

It's Staring Right at Imagineering's Face!

:hammer:Wouldn't it be more reasonable to Plus CoP using the Meet the Robinsons characters? I mean, think about it, a time machine storyline, new inventions every 20 years, Keep Moving Forward (or 'Round and Around, your pick), it's all there! If WDI can retheme Alien Encounter to Stitch and Timekeeper to Laugh Floor, the solution the CoP question is staring right back at them! It's just too perfect a chance to be missed.

"At last we will reveal ourselves to the Jedi. At last we will have revenge".:drevil:

PLTram

I have been a proponent of scrapping dozens of Disney rides in favor of new, cutting edge, technologically advanced rides and shows. I'd be happy to see them dump the Jungle Cruise, the chinzy funhouses (Snow White, et. al.), Country Bear Jamboree, Tomorrowland Speedway, Festival of the Lion King, Tiki Birds, etc. etc.

The only ride worthy of maintaining its legacy status, IMO, is COP, primarily because of Walt Disney's ties to it and becuase I think it still is relavent. Yes, it needs a new final scene, but it still conveys the same message that it did when I first saw it as a wee one at the '64 Worlds Fair. I'd be sad to see it go...

PLTram

Oh yea, I forgot to express my incredulity: "The Incredibles??!?!?!" A long forgotten Pixar near flop from 2004? Why not an "Old Yeller" attraction?

bigtotoro

Really, you are just being rude.. and very disrespectful... and very childish, how old are you anyway?

1. This was in response to a joking post suggesting that if Walt SHOULD rise up from the dead he would go directly to CoP. It was a joking response. Sarcasm, you know?

2. Name calling?

3. I personally like CoP. Really. I have enjoyed it almost every trip I've been. But, even the most PixieBlinded individual has to admit the fact that, in it's current state, it's time is WELL past. And let's say that WDW decides to throw a boatload of money at it to do a ground up refurb. Is it going to attract buzz? No. Is it going to attract lines? No. Know why? Aside from the people who frequent places like this, myself included, nobody cares. Seriously. It is completely irrelevant. Just because something has lasted a long while, does not make it a classic. Haunted Mansion? ICONIC! Pirates? Masterpiece. Carousel? Try this for an analogy, Pirates (ride) is to Pinocchio (movie) as Carousel (ride) is to So Dear To My Heart (movie)...or was that a simile...I forget. Well remembered and thought of by few, forgotten by most. Dead weight. Wasted prime real estate. It does not earn it's keep. How about MK's first true signature dining experience here? They surely don't have one for adults. This is the perfect place for it. And to the person earlier that suggested that World Showcase did not appeal to those under 30? Fair point. But, World Showcase pays it's rent in quality dining and shopping. It earns it's keep.

4. There's a fair amount of talk regarding the Pixar invasion and subsequent them deterioriation of the Tomorrowland theming as well. Again, fair point. But, why does no one have a problem with the Tomorrowland Speedway? 1960's style F1 replica racers did not even represent "Tomorrow" when they were rolled out 30+ years ago. Just wondering.

bigtotoro

Oh yea, I forgot to express my incredulity: "The Incredibles??!?!?!" A long forgotten Pixar near flop from 2004? Why not an "Old Yeller" attraction?
I'll respond with my own incredulity:
(taken from boxofficemojo.com)
TOTAL LIFETIME GROSSES Domestic: $261,441,092 41.4% + Foreign: $370,001,000 58.6% = Worldwide: $631,442,092
Also, the DVD sold 17.4 million copies domesitically in 2005 alone.

CThaddeus

Yeah, why don't they just create an attraction based on "Song of the South?" Inconceivable!*

*You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

Enigma

Account Suspended
I think you know my opinion about Robert Iger...

Having said that, somewhere in 2008, (while reburbing Space Mountain) C.O.P will be closed too, never being re-opened again...

(but the problem with the cryogenic cylinders underneath C.O.P. of "you know who" are still there) :lookaroun

I will bet you 100 smackaroos that C.O.P. does not close down for good in 2008.

XS-Spence

Having said that, somewhere in 2008, (while reburbing Space Mountain) C.O.P will be closed too, never being re-opened again...

(but the problem with the cryogenic cylinders underneath C.O.P. of "you know who" are still there) :lookaroun

I'm with Enigma on this one. It eats crowds, it's entertaining... I think it has as much chance of closing as Country Bears or Hall of Presidents. I'm willing to bet it has more daily riders than either of those.

Plus, if I remember right, Corrus was the one that said the old Millennium Wand at Epcot was "permanent" and would not be coming down for a very long time.

...and on that note, I'm going to make a bold-faced, totally baseless prediction. CoP will outlast the Hat at the Studios.

Disneyfanman

You know.....I have heard this news over and over, and I have accepted that COP will be gone sooner than later. But I think it's a mistake. WDW needs a constant flow of newer things, but one of the reasons that I continue to spend money and go back is the draw of the older things. My daughter (now 18) and I have been riding that thing for 11 or 12 years together, singing that song, and sharing the memories. My wife can join in with her bad back. My sons (21 and 14) enjoy it. It doesn't seperate us, it brings us together in a way that only Disney does on its attractions. That is the exact reason that we go to Disney every year and typically skip Universal. The show scenes have aged, but the spirit hasn't, and it could be great again with a little attention. It's presented as a "nostalgic" attraction and doesn't feel old. It feels right, like an old comfortable shoe. It's been running constantly the last 4 or 5 times that I have visited, and is always 3/4 full. Considering the people it moves through, I think it's doing OK. It and TTA are great ways to spend a hot afternoon in Tomorrowland for many people. So pulling it out would sadden me, and take away.....just a little bit, from the Disney "magic" for me. But I would still go to the World.

Matpez

So, is it going to close in '08, or not?

From the looks of it some people have a pretty strong impression that it will close for good or be replaced or something, but no one has given a straight answer.
I just wanted to answer you. You aren't being ignored, but you are reading a thread in the "News & Rumors" section.
Maybe none of us really knows, but we like discussing it.
:wave:

lilredfoxie

As much as I hate to admit it, it seems like nothings sacred in Walt Disney World, even popular rides like 20K and Mr Toad were removed with strange excuses, and Horizons and Wonders of Life as well were the victim of 'Disney doesn't wanna pay for it, so lets let it rot, then close it...'

I cant wait to see the day when those original pixar movies are old and dated just like honey i shrunk the kids, and then they'll realize that the whole pixar invasion was a bad idea. That Monsters Inc thing, I've watched the construction of it from here on wdwmagic, it doesn't seem all to exciting or interesting for that matter. You can put all the effects you want in something, if the story is lacking, the story is lacking. At least timekeeper was an immersive experience with a decent storyline. That theater seems like it took a step backward, not forward.

Buzz Lightyear shooting ride (not sure of the name) Is a little bit better, however I still have a soft spot for Delta Dreamflight, seems like that ride could have been modified for any airline to use, I wonder if back then Disney went looking for another airline to sponsor the ride.

As for alien encounter, I wasn't crazy about alien encounter to begin with, I was too young to remember Mission to Mars, but it seems like they coulda picked another planet and redid the interior to keep it running, that might have held for a bit, at least until Mission Space was built, for obvious reasons ;)

Shere_Khan

While I would miss COP, I would almost hope for a Meet The Robinsons attraction - let the family members take different sections of the stage with a Keep Moving Forward/Great Big Wonderful Tomorrow medley.

:hammer:Wouldn't it be more reasonable to Plus CoP using the Meet the Robinsons characters? I mean, think about it, a time machine storyline, new inventions every 20 years, Keep Moving Forward (or 'Round and Around, your pick), it's all there! If WDI can retheme Alien Encounter to Stitch and Timekeeper to Laugh Floor, the solution the CoP question is staring right back at them! It's just too perfect a chance to be missed.

Now those are two very good ideas! At least Meet the Robinsons revolved around Walt's vision. It uses a time travel machine to go into the future and the past so that definitely fits in with the theme of Tomorrowland. If there has to be a change to CoP I would hope they would think of this before a Pixar based attraction like Incredibles.

I don't want CoP to close at all, but I have to come to terms with the fact that it is outdated and not an attraction that draws crowds. Of course alot of us like it, but we are adults with wide attention spans who can sit through something educational and appreciate it. In fact my favorite part of the attraction is learning about things in the past and how we have progressed, rather then the ideas for the future. I don't have children so I am not sure how most kids react to this, but I can only imagine they are bored, as I was at the age of 10 on attractions like Hall of Presidents, etc. I am sure there is a fair share of kids who like CoP as well but whichever way Disney goes, there will people who are upset.
I hope it doesn't close, especially since I will not be back to the world until October of 2008 and I would at least like to see it one more time. If it closes though, I will still spend my money to go to WDW and so will everyone else I imagine.

I liked COP when I rode it, but it is one of those rides you ride once and that is it. I am for getting rid of it but only if they put it in a museum or move it to another Disney park like Paris or Hong Kong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom