Incredibles to replace COP?

djkidkaz

Why do you all complain about them promoting their movies? Isn't that the whole reason the different lands were created by Walt in the first place? Each land would help to promote a certain brand of Disney movie. I think the issue we have now is that those categories are not what they used to be. Does anyone watch westerns anymore? NO! So how do you update Frontierland? Your average kid doesn't want to see a ho-down. Tomorrowland which everyone loves to complain about. What else is Disney to do to it? Sci-Fi movies aren't popular anymore either. So they are stuck having to populate it with the closest thing, aliens like Stitch, or a futuristic monster city being run on laughter. And why do people keep referring to Tomorrowland as Pixarland? Monsters Inc is the only attraction that is Pixar. If your going to complain about something REALLY not fitting into Tomorrowland, its the Speedway. I'd rather see the Speedway go than Monsters Inc. For all the complaining that goes on, maybe you should add your input on what YOU would do to fix the situation.

MDAY

I'm with Walt

IT's a classis to say the least. We visit it everytime we visit. I can't think of the magic kingdom without it.

I also am so glad the peoplemover is in tomorrowland. We recently went to DL and saw the remnants of what was there version just rotting there. So sad.

Why do you all complain about them promoting their movies? Isn't that the whole reason the different lands were created by Walt in the first place? Each land would help to promote a certain brand of Disney movie. I think the issue we have now is that those categories are not what they used to be. Does anyone watch westerns anymore? NO! So how do you update Frontierland? Your average kid doesn't want to see a ho-down. Tomorrowland which everyone loves to complain about. What else is Disney to do to it? Sci-Fi movies aren't popular anymore either. So they are stuck having to populate it with the closest thing, aliens like Stitch, or a futuristic monster city being run on laughter. And why do people keep referring to Tomorrowland as Pixarland? Monsters Inc is the only attraction that is Pixar. If your going to complain about something REALLY not fitting into Tomorrowland, its the Speedway. I'd rather see the Speedway go than Monsters Inc. For all the complaining that goes on, maybe you should add your input on what YOU would do to fix the situation.

Stitch's Great Excape was based in present day Hawaii, not the future.

Monsters Inc. took place in present day, not the future.

And The Incredibles..I don't know. It took place in present day, but what does having super powers have to do with the land of tomorrow?

Disney is relying more on their movies than on pure imagination for their rides. The Time Keeper was purely imaginative, Carousel of Progress was purely imaginative, hell, even TTA is imaginative! The problem is that Disney is putting rides where they don't belong. That's why people are complaining.

darthjohnny

And The Incredibles..I don't know. It took place in present day, but what does having super powers have to do with the land of tomorrow?

Stitch is an alien from space. Space=one of the main themes of Tomorrowland. The ride also incorporates teleportation (a sci-fi theme).

Monster's Inc. performs in the Tomorrowland Expo Center and transports you from Tomorrowland to Monstropolis, ergo, it doesn't take place in TL.

The Incredibles live in a very retro-futuristic world, so I would say it could fit in Tomorrowland. Plus, add new technology to the mix (like the Incredi-car), it would also go with TL.

djkidkaz

Disney is relying more on their movies than on pure imagination for their rides. The Time Keeper was purely imaginative, Carousel of Progress was purely imaginative, hell, even TTA is imaginative! The problem is that Disney is putting rides where they don't belong. That's why people are complaining.

Right but Stitch is an alien and aliens are "Sci-Fi", which loosely fits a Tomorrowland theme.

The version of Monstropolis in the Monsters Inc. ride is supposed to be a Monstropolis city of tomorrow where the energy is powered by laughs and not screams anymore. Again, loosely holding onto a Tomorrowland theme.

And I can compare the final scene in COP where the kid is using virtual reality headsets to humans having super powers. 20 yrs ago, a virtual reality headset would have been thought of as total fiction. Something out of a sci-fi movie. Who's not to say in 20 yrs. that humans won't find a way to inject people with "super powers"? Super powered steroids to be able to lift a couch on your own (ala Incredibles )? A chip imbedded in your brain that allows you to turn on the lights in your house just by thinking about it?

I mean, where do you draw the line between what is acceptable as Tomorrowland and what is not? If its revealed in 10 yrs that aliens are going to be visiting our planet, then Stitch will fit into Tomorrowland perfectly. We're all assuming thats not going to happen, so an alien in Tomorrowland is not acceptable to us as a vision of the future, but in reality, none of us know.

gsimpson

I hope they don't get rid of the theater-go-round, I do hope they update or replace the show that is hosted in the theater-go-round. If they don't update the COP show itself, they could replace it with a Meet the Robinson's tie in (if they must connect to a movie) which at least has a vague connection to the future but keep it in the theater-go-round format. I hate to see unique venues go the way of Horizons.

I don't think they actually moved COP, just the sets. The building in WDW is not the same building they had in DL, that building is still there and being completely wasted with a flea market, I mean Innoventions. What a waste of a theater.

polarboi

CoP is, and has been for the longest, living on borrowed time.

It's a shame, really, because CoP is a pretty cool attraction, if only the final scene could be updated to reflect either: a) present day; b) a realistic future; or c) an actual point in the past. As it is, it's a hokey vision of the future that is hopelessly stuck in the past, and that damages the appeal of the rest of the attraction.

Unfortunately, CoP's real problem is the rotating building. Safety issues + impatient guests leaving in the middle = lots of problems, leading to more impatient guests, frustrated CMs, and an overall bad show.

I hate to see it go because I think it could still hold up as a modern attraction with some updates and a little TLC, but I've known for a long time that it was a lost cause.

A shame, yes. But it's time to move on, I'm afraid.

-p.b. :cool:

darthjohnny

Unfortunately, CoP's real problem is the rotating building. Safety issues

I heard this was one of the main reasons they closed it in Disneyland. Someone got hurt while trying to change rooms while the ride was rotating. Though if this is true, I can't explain why they just moved it to WDW.

But it sounds like it could be true (people do crazy things) and it isn't a liablity Disneyland would want to deal with.

comics101

Yeah, this is really another Mr Toad situation waiting to happen. Nobody cares, guys. COP is hopelessly outdated. It is dead space. If you want to waste your time trying to save this attraction, go ahead. But to do so, I fear, will just marginalize the voice of the hardcore fan in the eyes of Disney's upper management. Fight the fights that are worth fighting. SpaceShip Earth - worth it. Country Bears Christmas - nobody cares. Space Mountain - worth it. Carousel of Progress - nobody cares.

P.S. People like Pixar.

I love Pixar, but I love COP more. I may not be in the majority with that, but... That said, I think we all know and agree COP could be so much more. It should be an E-Ticket attraction, and as much as I love it, and as much as it kills me to say this, perhaps it is best that it's closed and replaced with something better if they don't update it. The only problem is, I'd assume it'll probably close down and be replaced with some sort of a trend, or it'll be used for storage or something...

djkidkaz

I love Pixar, but I love COP more. I may not be in the majority with that, but... That said, I think we all know and agree COP could be so much more. It should be an E-Ticket attraction, and as much as I love it, and as much as it kills me to say this, perhaps it is best that it's closed and replaced with something better if they don't update it. The only problem is, I'd assume it'll probably close down and be replaced with some sort of a trend, or it'll be used for storage or something...

Maybe they could turn it into that ride at the carnivals called the Gravitron. Where everyone gets stuck to the wall while its spinning. Except they could keep the scenes and music in tact.

Tomorrowland presents: COPitron

DisneyGigi

Most non-WDW freaks like ourselves don't. Just asked my roommate, she looked at me like I was crazy. Most people know the song "It's a Small World;" It's part of our popular culture.

My kids would not know IASW or CoP songs if it were not for WDW and I would think that they are who WDW has in mind for the future..... DS & DD love CoP but hate IASW & Jungle Cruise.

Enigma

Account Suspended
Well... :lookaroun :lookaroun :lookaroun

Although C.O.P. will be closed soon...

It will not be replaced with some Incredibles thing...

If it MUST be a cartoon tie-in...I guess Meet The Robinsons would work best but that movie floped so I dunno. I'm hoping for a nonmovie tie-in.

EPCOTCenterLover

I think Iger is doing a GREAT job- especially after the last 5 years of Eisner's reign. Just looking at the theme parks and decisions made like DCA 2.0 and the refocus of Epcot and DHS gives me alot of hope for the future. DL (my home park) has never looked better (the Tomorrowland mess aside) and felt more vibrant.

Re: Carousel of Progress- I really like this show, but even I was bored my last time on it. There is no way you can put this and It's A Small World in the same category. I do not like the cartooning of Tomorrowland- not even Buzz, although I enjoy the ride, but if that is the direction Disney is going with MK's Tomorrowland, I say Incredibles fits way better than Monsters.

I think Carousel will be replaced with a flying saucers type ride, however.
Just one man's opinion...

Rufus T Firefly

I heard this was one of the main reasons they closed it in Disneyland. Someone got hurt while trying to change rooms while the ride was rotating. Though if this is true, I can't explain why they just moved it to WDW.

Actually, a CM was crushed by the rotating building. But, I don't believe that was the reason it was moved to WDW.

dxwwf3

CoP is, and has been for the longest, living on borrowed time.

:brick:

After looking at what they did for Disneyland's Enchanted Tiki Room (really made me jealous), it really bothers me that the Carousel of Progress and the Country Bear Jamboree can't get similar attention in Florida. It almost seems that Disney is methodically trying to get me to spend less and less time in Tomorrowland :ROFLOL:

jmvd20

Actually, a CM was crushed by the rotating building. But, I don't believe that was the reason it was moved to WDW.

CoP had already been removed from Disneyland when that incident happened. I think it was 73 or 74 that the worker was killed, it was in the same building that housed COP but it was transformed into America Sings.

disneypearl

Wow....how sad this would be if they actually did close COP. I do not believe that this will happen. At least I am not allowing myself to believe it. This is one of my favorites because it was something that Walt created. It also has such a positive outlook on every generation and future generations. I leave the COP with a smile and a song in my heart. Afterall, there is a great big beautiful tomorrow. :eek:

Horizons1986

So, is it going to close in '08, or not?

From the looks of it some people have a pretty strong impression that it will close for good or be replaced or something, but no one has given a straight answer.

I hope it does not close and just gets a minor update!:)

chinitopoop

wdw still has sooo much land to build on, i hate to see the classic attractions being taken out just to be replaced by some cheap pixar movie tie-in, i mean how many "classic" disney attractions does mk have?...not that much, i hate the people who say mk is a museum, cuz its not, and even if it is, there is still something to be said than being that its one of the most highly visited parks in the world

Expo_Seeker40

No duh the CoP doesn't get alot of people on it!

The attraction was built to house vast amounts of people at the NY World's Fair. A new theater becomes available every 4 minutes and can hold over 200 people!

The attractions sits in a boring and unassuming building in the corner of tomorrowland. The attraction has no sponsor, no major advertising, nada.

It's not the ride's fault, it's the way Disney has taken care of the ride.

The ride is not just a Walt Disney created ride, but also a World's Fair legacy and one of the few Disney rides to be moved from one Disney park to another.

The ride wasn't moved from California to Florida because people hated it. Walt Disney himself on the wonderful world of color said all of his world's fair attractions would have a PERMNANET home at Disneyland.

A copy of Great Moments with Mr. Lincoln was already there. It's a Small World came to Disneyland in 1966. The Huge Magic Skyway attraction was going to occupy the land that now houses space mountain and the once original location proposed for adventure thru inner space.....but with no sponsorship from Ford, and the high costs of shipping every show scene back to california, Disney only had the famous dinosaur scene come to california. T

The Carousel of Progress moved to FL because Disneyland has so many repeat visitors. They see the same thing over and over. GE and Disneyland execs were not happy with GE advertisement and the message the ride was trying to get across. Rather than scrap the ride...they invested in moving it to Florida because they knew it would do better.

And it did. With an updated show, new song, etc, the CoP did have long lines in the 70s and early 80s.

Over the years the lines have gotten shorter.

CoP does stick out in a tomorrowland of a random indy speedway and stitch and monsters. The CoP should either be moved to a more appropriate place or sold to an entity than can maintain the ride.

I am no big fan of the current version of the CoP, but the CoP does have a rich and historical past, if you were to exclude cinderella's golden carousel, the CoP is the oldest attraction in all of WDW.....that being the first three show scenes.

The ride is unique, creative, and immersive, it's just needs TLC and a good fix-up, not a demo permit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom