Incredibles to replace COP?

Thiger

COP could be easily plussed.
They could add amazingly realistic animatronics and new scenes and boom. If they are going to take it out, it should go to the smithsonian.

Despite the lack of lines COP is holy ground and to take it out completely is to clear cut a huge chunk of Disney culture.

Besides, there are a ton of other rides that need plussing in MK: speedway, Country Bears, PPS (or, where they need to make the new 20K) etc

pax_65

As much as I hate to admit it, it seems like nothings sacred in Walt Disney World

If Walt Disney was alive today, he'd remind us we always need to keep moving forward. The park is not and was never intended to be a museum to itself. When Disneyland and WDW opened, they were showcases for the most imaginative, inspiring and technologically advanced entertainment possible at that time. When a ride is no longer particularly imaginative, inspiring, or technologically wondrous, it should be updated or replaced. It's NOT enough for a ride to bring you nostaglic warm feelings.

* Mr. Toad was a simple "funhouse" type ride using 1950s-era technology. Pooh is an upgrade in almost every respect and is enjoyed more by young children today who know and love the characters.

* 20K was groundbreaking when it opened, but it became less exciting as the years went by. I never experienced crowds there in the early 90s, even at peak times. The ride itself required so much maintenance that it just didn't make financial sense for them to keep it open. For most people, it is not missed.

* I remember Horizons very fondly. However, recently I found a video of the ride online and found it surprisingly boring - almost preachy. It was actually a fairly long ride. I only remembered the coolest parts I guess! Plus the building was literally falling down and I don't think repairing it was possible (or at least financially reasonable.) In any event, Mission Space is a tremendously exciting ride, using technology to amaze and inspire us (as long as you don't barf).

* Wonders of Life is a great concept. I hope Disney gives some thought to it, there is so much emphasis on healthcare in our world today I'm sure Disney could get a good sponsor for the attraction. But the whole thing would need to be redone - Body Wars made more 3D, more immersive. Making of Me scrapped (cute but so outdated, and a difficult concept to execute), Cranium Command redone in some way to allow more audience interaction and/or participation, or just scrapped in favor of a different health-based attraction. There's so much they could do about taking care of your body, living longer healthier lives, etc. Disney spends so much time talking about the power of the human spirit.... this pavillion could look at what happens when the human spirit is directed toward the human body.

* Delta Dreamflight was a fun ride, but Buzz Lightyear just BLOWS it away. Not even close. And while your point about Pixar movies eventually getting dated is valid, Buzz is so well executed that it will continue to be popular long after "Toy Story" is forgotten. In fact, it will be a sort of trivia question, like "What movie is Splash Mountain based on" is today.

* Mission to Mars was THE single worst Disney ride I've ever been on. For those who don't remember, you sat in a circle. A voice announces that you're on the way to Mars and the floor and seats vibrated. The technology was so rudimentary. The concept was essentially the same as Mission Space but the execution is not even in the same league. Now I'm no great fan of Stitch (I preferred Alien Encounter), but the execution is kind of cool and the younger kids seem to really like it.

* I think you may have a point about Timekeeper vs Monsters Inc., as Timekeeper was a great show. But the thing was practically empty. Nobody knew what it was, there was no compelling reason for anyone to ride it. Interestingly, I think the technology used in Monsters works much better in Turtle Talk with Crush. But Monsters usually has a good crowd and Timekeeper didn't. So it's hard to argue with that.

* The Carousel of Progress is one of my favorite Disney rides. But even I can see it's outdated. It needs a MAJOR rehab at minimum, or perhaps better still a total reworking of the concept to make the experience more immersive and involving - maybe go outside the kitchen to truly experience what life is like in 1900. Drive into town! Wouldn't that be cool?

I've said for years that Disney should create a small attraction showing the history of WDW - old photos/films of the parks under contruction, interviews with Walt, Roy and others involved in the creation of the parks, etc. For a time they had something like this in the "Town Hall" building inside Magic Kingdom's entrance. Maybe they could even set up some kind of virtual reality thing where you could "ride" World of Motion, Carousel of Progress, Mr. Toad, 20K, Horizons, Dreamflight, Mission to Mars, Captian EO, etc. and even cartoon-generated "rides" of attractions that were planned but never built!

I think no matter how we feel about these rides, most of us here would check that out!

Jon

MKCP 1985

Raise your hand if you buy a ticket to the Magic Kingdom just to experience the Carousel of Progress.

keep them raised . . . the men in the white suits with the special jacket are coming to see you. :lol:

Honestly, worse things could happen than closing CoP, and what museum would take it? The thing is huge!

Spend some money, put a new attraction in there, and if it doesn't work - close it and try again. Walt Disney World, like Disneyland, is not supposed to ever be finished. Part of the allure is knowing that if you don't visit for a couple of years, there will be some new things to enjoy, as well as some enduring classics. CoP is okay, but it is no Haunted Mansion or Small World! :p

DisneyDefenders

Make everyone happy...

The attraction itself currently says that the family has undergone changes over the years...so why not just change the family to the Par family?

The attraction could show you how the many generations of Pars have lived and helped to save the world from peril over the years with the various super powers they each have.

leobloom

Walt Disney World, like Disneyland, is not supposed to ever be finished. Part of the allure is knowing that if you don't visit for a couple of years, there will be some new things to enjoy, as well as some enduring classics.

This mantra about DL/WDW "never being complete" gets tossed around a lot. Yet what would happen if WDI decided to tear the castle down and put up a new icon? Granted, they tinker with the castle with Xmas lights or with the decorations for the DL's 50th or the hideous pink birthday cake for WDW's 25th. But if WDI decided it was a good idea to tear down the castle and put up a new icon, I doubt we'd hear too much from people about the parks "never being complete". The MK wouldn't be itself without some things. I'm not sure COP is one of those. But I get tired of reading the completion mantra.

Also interesting: Most of the people who spout the "Walt said the parks would never be complete" are the same people who say "We shouldn't ask ourselves what Walt would do." So which is it? Should WDI use Walt's philosophy as a guide or shouldn't they?

The fact is Disney makes a lot, not all, of its money off nostalgia. If they deviate far enough from what people associate with the MK, they won't be creating attractions that will last for generations. With a few upgrades, HM and POTC have been entertaining people for roughly 40 years (going back to their debuts in DL). Can you imagine Buzz Lightyear staying in the park another 30 years? Or Monsters staying around another 40?

The problem with incessant change in which nothing is off limits is eventually it results in a park in which the guest won't get into the nostalgic frame of mind that makes Disney different from its competitors.

MeTa

As much as I love the CoP and make it a point to go every trip I dont see this changes as bad. Thats prime realestate. Hopefully they cazn move som of the AA's somewhere aas a tribute to one of walts creations though.

leobloom

This mantra about DL/WDW "never being complete" gets tossed around a lot. Yet what would happen if WDI decided to tear the castle down and put up a new icon? Granted, they tinker with the castle with Xmas lights or with the decorations for the DL's 50th or the hideous pink birthday cake for WDW's 25th. But if WDI decided it was a good idea to tear down the castle and put up a new icon, I doubt we'd hear too much from people about the parks "never being complete". The MK wouldn't be itself without some things. I'm not sure COP is one of those. But I get tired of reading the completion mantra.

Also interesting: Most of the people who spout the "Walt said the parks would never be complete" are the same people who say "We shouldn't ask ourselves what Walt would do." So which is it? Should WDI use Walt's philosophy as a guide or shouldn't they?

The fact is Disney makes a lot, not all, of its money off nostalgia. If they deviate far enough from what people associate with the MK, they won't be creating attractions that will last for generations. With a few upgrades, HM and POTC have been entertaining people for roughly 40 years (going back to their debuts in DL). Can you imagine Buzz Lightyear staying in the park another 30 years? Or Monsters staying around another 40?

The problem with incessant change in which nothing is off limits is eventually it results in a park in which the guest won't get into the nostalgic frame of mind that makes Disney different from its competitors.

nibblesandbits

I liked COP when I rode it, but it is one of those rides you ride once and that is it. I am for getting rid of it but only if they put it in a museum or move it to another Disney park like Paris or Hong Kong.
That's exactly what I was going to say.

I'm a COP newbie. (Relatively speaking). I hadn't ever seen COP until my trip in 2005, and had never even heard of it until I came on these message boards in 2003. Which brings me to my first point of COP...while it does pull in some crowds, it may have the potential to pull in more, even left in the state that it's in. How, you ask? By simply putting the attraction on the map! Many people don't even know it exists b/c it's not listed on the map, which is what a majority of non-Disney fanatics go by. Therefore, when they pass it, they look at their map and think, hmmm...it's not listed, must be closed. And don't even try to see the attraction. (Even when they might see people standing up in line.) So, without me finding out about the attraction on these boards, I would have been among the ignorant who had no clue that the attraction was there and would have just thought it was "another building". There for decorative purposes.

And we even have Disney fanatics coming around asking if it's still open all the time! If even Disney fans don't know, then there is a problem and it should be rectified.

However, I have gone on COP and loved it. Yes, it is a tad outdated and I would like to see them update it, rather than take it out. But, if they feel the need to have to take it out, my hope is that they don't simply distroy it and instead take it to another park that may benefit. (Although, now that I think about it, this ride is all about american innovations, so it might not have the same effect. The ride is as American as apple pie, at least in it's current state).

All I know is I would be extremely disappointed if the attraction was taken out in favor of some "fad." IE a movie like the Incredibles, which I didn't really care for or something else that isn't really original. (And I'm one who tends to like the movie tie ins. But I think if they did a movie tie in in this spot, it would upset me greatly. I can't put my finger on why, but I don't believe that a movie tie in should be built upon the spot where there was once such an original attraction).

However, if it is indeed the ride's time, I will be very disappointed, but I will will understand why it had to go. I just would have wished it didn't.

RSoxNo1

Before I touch on Carousel of Progress I should touch on tommorowland as a whole. Tomorrowland is an interplanetary convention center per the dialogue on the TTA. That's where the sci-fi theme comes in, Monsters Inc Laugh Floor and Stitch's Great Escape fit in to this theme. However, I do think Monsters Inc would be better suited to go in Pixar Place when it opens up. I don't see it happening, but they moved Turtle Talk upstairs so I wouldn't be surprised (just my own musings, it has no basis in fact).

As for Carousel of Progress, I agree with Lee - it's living on borrowed time. To revamp an animatronic driven show would be very costly. They did it with Pirates of the Caribbean, but that ride wasn't as poorly received as Carousel of Progress. I don't think simply fixing the final scene is the answer here. I think they need to revamp the entire show. Otherwise you're going from 1940 to the future - that doesn't really work.

RiversideBunny

They need to spruce up the outside entrance to CoP. It is very plain.
Right now CoP could easily be mistaken for a maintenance building instead of an attraction.

A lot more people would ride it if it looked inviting.

:king:

comics101

Which brings me to my first point of COP...while it does pull in some crowds, it may have the potential to pull in more, even left in the state that it's in.

How, you ask? By simply putting the attraction on the map! Many people don't even know it exists b/c it's not listed on the map,

And we even have Disney fanatics coming around asking if it's still open all the time! If even Disney fans don't know, then there is a problem and it should be rectified.

Potential is the key word here. That's all the ride has been for the past 7ish years, Potential. As of right now, It's a great concept, but that's about it. I would assume the reason it's not on the map is because it's an embarassment to the park in it's current state. I have to wonder if Disney's just letting it sit and fall apart so they have a reason to close it and maybe the fans won't get too upset. I think you give a good poing with the Disney fans not knowing though. I think everyone on this forum knows that in it's current state it's a waste of space. As of right now it's just a bunch of happy memories, and that's the reason I continue to go on it whenever I'm down there.

To revamp an animatronic driven show would be very costly. They did it with Pirates of the Caribbean, but that ride wasn't as poorly received as Carousel of Progress. I don't think simply fixing the final scene is the answer here. I think they need to revamp the entire show. Otherwise you're going from 1940 to the future - that doesn't really work.

It would be costly, but does anyone else agree with me when I say it seems the use of animatronics is almost like a dying art? Disney just doesn't make attractions like they used to, and as fun as Sorin' and Monster's are, for me they aren't as magical bc they don't give you the same feeling an attraction like COP or GMR do. It really is a shame IMO

Anyway, fixing the final scene certainly wouldn't solve all of the attractions problems, but it would be a start. I think fixing the scene would work just as well as it does now. It already jumps from the 40's/50's to the future...

nibblesandbits

22 ft. Yeti, anyone?
agreed, and the Yeti was an incredible AA! :D

However, I do have to agree with Comics101 too in the fact that while Disney is making amazing new AAs, as can be found in the Yeti and Stitch, they seem to be making fewer and fewer new attractions that encompass AAs. And when they are, it seems like there's only one per new attraction, lately anyway.

DisneyGigi

I'm a COP newbie. (Relatively speaking). I hadn't ever seen COP until my trip in 2005, and had never even heard of it until I came on these message boards in 2003. Which brings me to my first point of COP...while it does pull in some crowds, it may have the potential to pull in more, even left in the state that it's in. How, you ask? By simply putting the attraction on the map! Many people don't even know it exists b/c it's not listed on the map, which is what a majority of non-Disney fanatics go by. Therefore, when they pass it, they look at their map and think, hmmm...it's not listed, must be closed. And don't even try to see the attraction. (Even when they might see people standing up in line.) So, without me finding out about the attraction on these boards, I would have been among the ignorant who had no clue that the attraction was there and would have just thought it was "another building". There for decorative purposes.

However, I have gone on COP and loved it. Yes, it is a tad outdated and I would like to see them update it, rather than take it out. But, if they feel the need to have to take it out, my hope is that they don't simply distroy it and instead take it to another park that may benefit. (Although, now that I think about it, this ride is all about american innovations, so it might not have the same effect. The ride is as American as apple pie, at least in it's current state).

All I know is I would be extremely disappointed if the attraction was taken out in favor of some "fad." IE a movie like the Incredibles, which I didn't really care for or something else that isn't really original. (And I'm one who tends to like the movie tie ins. But I think if they did a movie tie in in this spot, it would upset me greatly. I can't put my finger on why, but I don't believe that a movie tie in should be built upon the spot where there was once such an original attraction).

However, if it is indeed the ride's time, I will be very disappointed, but I will will understand why it had to go. I just would have wished it didn't.

It is listed on the map that we got in Feb/March and on the one from September. (2007) (Number 42)

nibblesandbits

It is listed on the map that we got in Feb/March and on the one from September. (2007) (Number 42)
Hmm...all be darned. I just looked at my map from Sept and it was listed there too. I retract my statement about it not being on maps. I do know for a while it wasn't listed though.

PLTram

Yeah, why don't they just create an attraction based on "Song of the South?" Inconceivable!*

*You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

I 'keep using that word?' This was the first time I used the word in this thread. I do not think you know what you are talking about.

BTW:

incredulity

Main Entry: in·cre·du·li·ty
Pronunciation: \ˌin-kri-ˈdü-lə-tē, -ˈdyü-\
Function: noun
Date: 15th century
: the quality or state of being incredulous : disbelief

I'm incredulous because The Incredibles came and went 3 or 4 years ago. I took my then 3 year old son to see it. He was mildly amused by it, bought an Incredibles lunchbox and never mentioned it again. From my anecdotal viewpoint, I don't see any of my kids' classmates or friends running around with Incredibles tshirts, nor do I see them on sale at Wal Mart, nor do I see any prominent displays of Incredibles toys at the toy stores lately, nor have there been any kids trick or treating as Incredibles characters at my door in the last 3 years or so. Other than reading about the Incredibles here on this Disney-centric site, I don't believe I have seen any lasting impact of this movie on the popular culture. That's why I am incredulous that they would consider theming a ride (probably not to open until 2009 or so) based on this movie.

And yes, The Incredibles grossed 200+ million at the box office. That puts it at No. 131 on the all time adjusted top grossers according to boxofficemojo, well behind such classics as "Gremlins" and "Spiderman 3."

netenyahoo

I'd like to see COP moving back to DL when the contracts Disney has with Microsoft, etc in Innoventions is up. COP could be updated with some new technology too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom