Imagination Demolition?

goofyfan13

I'm thrilled about this news. I still vividly remember the opening scene with the Dreamfinder from when I was a kid. What a well done ride.

Brian_WDW74

Anyway, JI(Y)I is one spot where I think a sponsor is available whether Kodak or other. Maybe Energizer or Duracell could sponsor UoE and have sole right to sell their batteries in the parks.

Too late. Disney signed a deal with Spectrum Brands last month to make Rayovac the sole battery brand sold in all Disney theme parks and water parks in the United States. :)

msk0879

maybe just maybe they ll bring back captain EO that way we all can explain to our kids that michael o wait public forum ill be quiet now:zipit::zipit::zipit:

ImagineerAndy

Something I think noting is this new article, interviewing Tony Baxter of Wdi and the creator of JII.

"The ultimate challenge...was Spider-Man and its synchronized motion base with 3-D [filmed scenes]. We looked at that and we started experimenting. Now, we have something that goes beyond that--but we won't talk about it. [Baxter laughed as he made the last remark.]" From About Theme Parks

This is a big new technology something to rival Spiderman, he's not talking about TSM. And he has a deep fondness for JII and waxes lyrical about the changes in management at WDI.

Fuel for the fire?

PoTCGuy

To add, just watch this youtube video and see how elaborate the queue area was, the portal for the vehicles into the ride, and the first scene - all 10x better then anything in the current ride.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7nhEEBPnuro

And PT2 with some high quality video of some of the amazing effects (the painting effect is AWESOME)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=e9E4yNg_eFI

And pt 3: What about Science?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=vpSpNCg0MV8

All I can say is WOW! It's been so long since I saw the original, I forgot just how detailed it was! And no bad smells being sprayed at you either!

Thanks for posting Merf! And thanks for the original video Martin!

freakman

Get me the keys to the bouldover.....I will swing by Wonders of life while I'm at it....:p

Walt Disney
I do not like to repeat successes, I like to go on to other things.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
...Thanks for posting Merf! And thanks for the original video Martin!
You`re welcome :wave: Shame it is one of my embarrassing first versions - thankfully I`ve improved my skills since then! The latest, far higher quality and longer version is of course available for free at the usual places ;)
ImagineerAndy said:
"The ultimate challenge...was Spider-Man and its synchronized motion base with 3-D [filmed scenes]. We looked at that and we started experimenting. Now, we have something that goes beyond that--but we won't talk about it. [Baxter laughed as he made the last remark.]" From About Theme Parks

This is a big new technology something to rival Spiderman, he's not talking about TSM
Interesting. It`s known that the Spiderman motion base overtook the EMV motion base as state of the art, and nothing has quite matched it since. Yes, Poohs Honey Hunt in Tokyo advanced certain technologies but isn`t a true motion base.

The original JII ride system was, like all the original Futureworld ride systems, far ahead of its time - cutting edge, and much like Test Track was a little too far ahead. The main problems were never fixed, just removed (see Turntable interlock issues parts 1-10) though with todays technology it`d be easy to overcome. As I mentioned earlier the original rotating Flight to Imagaination show scene chasis is still in the building, but will never rotate again. This is pure speculation but it wouldn`t be difficult to remove it and install a new one. Also, once again, it`d be easy to replicate the experience in other ways with todays technology.

Like Adam said it isn`t so much if, but when. This project has been on and off for a few years, and its budget raised, lowered and `borrowed`. All this may actually be a good thing in the long run otherwise we may already be complaining about a lame 4th version which just opened. Following the trend for the 3rd version of Epcot as discussed elsewhere the bar is raised and standards appear to be rising again. The main pieces needed for a knock-em-dead version to end all versions are now available. We just need to hope they are all used to complete the jigsaw. Initial indications are very promissing.

TheBeatles

The original JII ride system was, like all the original Futureworld ride systems, far ahead of its time - cutting edge, and much like Test Track was a little too far ahead. The main problems were never fixed, just removed (see Turntable interlock issues parts 1-10) though with todays technology it`d be easy to overcome. As I mentioned earlier the original rotating Flight to Imagaination show scene chasis is still in the building, but will never rotate again.

Martin, how did this scene work?

SGT623

Something I think noting is this new article, interviewing Tony Baxter of Wdi and the creator of JII.

This is a big new technology something to rival Spiderman, he's not talking about TSM. And he has a deep fondness for JII and waxes lyrical about the changes in management at WDI.

Fuel for the fire?

That would be sweet, but I really think he was hinting at Star Tours 2.0

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Martin, how did this scene work?
In a nutshell:

There was a large rotating chassis (not a true `turntable`) with 5 identical showscenes arranged like a sliced piece of cake. Each scene had the suspended DreamCatcher, rear projection backdrop lighting, audio systems and visual effects (smoke, strobes etc.) - think of it like a fairground carousel suspended from above.

The ride track surrounded this for about 340 dgrees, with the entry and exit sections side by side. The ride system was a computer controlled Omnimover, with groups of 4 ride vehicles attached to each other making up a `train`. At load and unload the `trains` formed a continuous chain of vehicles, but as they left unload would accellerate slightly and thus split into groups of 4. As they reached the Flight to Imagaination scene and made the turn onto the circular track the Omnis would rotate 90 degrees right on their motion base, facing the rotating show scene. The speed of the train was adjusted to match the rotation and the vehicles would physically lock onto the rotating base ring - much like load at Kali River Rapids. For the next 2 and a half minutes or so the vehicles travelled locked to the rotating show scene, pointing sideways - though guests had no idea they were still moving. To them it seemed they were standing still, as did each guest watching each of the 5 show scenes. A unique way to present a `static` presentation to each guest at the same time in an Omnimover attraction.

Problems arose with the interlock of the ride vehicle and show scene. Cars would jam, not lock correctly, slip - all sorts of issues with the speed and pacing of the cars. Sometimes the attraction would cascade, sometimes force a 101 and restart, and on more than one occassion - after hours - empty cars derailed. There was also an issue with timing the cars, once bunched up again, to pace the original unload speedramp. This was removed not long after opening and a static floor replaced it. Cars also had difficulty in resuming their (variable) speed and spacing on a restart. The show scene issues were never fully resolved, and the idea eliminated in 1999. The rotating chassis was left intact, but bolted down and had various utilites run through it and supports driven through it for the current load area.

Today the ride system is still in use complete with rotating ride vehicles, and using the original idea of a train, but load and unload is static and using a fewer ammount of cars the vehicles are dispatched at longer intervals to enable a single showscene to be watched static throughout the attraction. The bunching of trains is eliminated too - todays attraction always has the groups of 4 cars separated. When one train reaches its next showscene all the other trains in use should be doing so too elsewhere on the track. Occasionally you`ll be stuck at the end of a showscene before moving on; this is Imaginations creep mode, usually waiting for a load or unload issue to be resolved since if one train stops in the attraction all the other trains have to too to keep the same spacing.

Also worthy of note is how much the `travelling sideways` concept is used today - but sadly to enable showscenes to be built on only one side of the track. By its very nature stopping to look at one side of the track means there are large empty spaces behind the riders view on the other side of the track. Only transition scenes have scenery on both sides of the track. And no, there are no original set pieces left behind curtains or similar. Very few 1983 items remain and those that do are more technical in nature.

When you think about it the 1999 to present day system is still quite remarkable. It`s just a shame it is on a curtailed track.

TestTrack

You`re welcome :wave: Shame it is one of my embarrassing first versions - thankfully I`ve improved my skills since then! The latest, far higher quality and longer version is of course available for free at the usual places ;)
Interesting. It`s known that the Spiderman motion base overtook the EMV motion base as state of the art, and nothing has quite matched it since. Yes, Poohs Honey Hunt in Tokyo advanced certain technologies but isn`t a true motion base.

The original JII ride system was, like all the original Futureworld ride systems, far ahead of its time - cutting edge, and much like Test Track was a little too far ahead. The main problems were never fixed, just removed (see Turntable interlock issues parts 1-10) though with todays technology it`d be easy to overcome. As I mentioned earlier the original rotating Flight to Imagaination show scene chasis is still in the building, but will never rotate again. This is pure speculation but it wouldn`t be difficult to remove it and install a new one. Also, once again, it`d be easy to replicate the experience in other ways with todays technology.

Like Adam said it isn`t so much if, but when. This project has been on and off for a few years, and its budget raised, lowered and `borrowed`. All this may actually be a good thing in the long run otherwise we may already be complaining about a lame 4th version which just opened. Following the trend for the 3rd version of Epcot as discussed elsewhere the bar is raised and standards appear to be rising again. The main pieces needed for a knock-em-dead version to end all versions are now available. We just need to hope they are all used to complete the jigsaw. Initial indications are very promissing.

Marni...you mention four versions. Now I have been to DW plenty of times but I can only seem to count three...which am I missing:

JII: Obviously...the original and unmatched
JIYI: Go through lab, leave unsatisfied
JIYIwF: Go through lab, explosion figments everywhere, still leave unsatisfied(but at least better)

hack2112

Marni...you mention four versions. Now I have been to DW plenty of times but I can only seem to count three...which am I missing:

JII: Obviously...the original and unmatched
JIYI: Go through lab, leave unsatisfied
JIYIwF: Go through lab, explosion figments everywhere, still leave unsatisfied(but at least better)
Martin was stating what might happen if a fourth version was opened by now, but without the proper funding and backing.

In a nutshell:

There was a large rotating chassis (not a true `turntable`) with 5 identical showscenes arranged like a sliced piece of cake. Each scene had the suspended DreamCatcher, rear projection backdrop lighting, audio systems and visual effects (smoke, strobes etc.) - think of it like a fairground carousel suspended from above.

The ride track surrounded this for about 340 dgrees, with the entry and exit sections side by side. The ride system was a computer controlled Omnimover, with groups of 4 ride vehicles attached to each other making up a `train`. At load and unload the `trains` formed a continuous chain of vehicles, but as they left unload would accellerate slightly and thus split into groups of 4. As they reached the Flight to Imagaination scene and made the turn onto the circular track the Omnis would rotate 90 degrees right on their motion base, facing the rotating show scene. The speed of the train was adjusted to match the rotation and the vehicles would physically lock onto the rotating base ring - much like load at Kali River Rapids. For the next 2 and a half minutes or so the vehicles travelled locked to the rotating show scene, pointing sideways - though guests had no idea they were still moving. To them it seemed they were standing still, as did each guest watching each of the 5 show scenes. A unique way to present a `static` presentation to each guest at the same time in an Omnimover attraction.

Problems arose with the interlock of the ride vehicle and show scene. Cars would jam, not lock correctly, slip - all sorts of issues with the speed and pacing of the cars. Sometimes the attraction would cascade, sometimes force a 101 and restart, and on more than one occassion - after hours - empty cars derailed. There was also an issue with timing the cars, once bunched up again, to pace the original unload speedramp. This was removed not long after opening and a static floor replaced it. Cars also had difficulty in resuming their (variable) speed and spacing on a restart. The show scene issues were never fully resolved, and the idea eliminated in 1999. The rotating chassis was left intact, but bolted down and had various utilites run through it and supports driven through it for the current load area.

Today the ride system is still in use complete with rotating ride vehicles, and using the original idea of a train, but load and unload is static and using a fewer ammount of cars the vehicles are dispatched at longer intervals to enable a single showscene to be watched static throughout the attraction. The bunching of trains is eliminated too - todays attraction always has the groups of 4 cars separated. When one train reaches its next showscene all the other trains in use should be doing so too elsewhere on the track. Occasionally you`ll be stuck at the end of a showscene before moving on; this is Imaginations creep mode, usually waiting for a load or unload issue to be resolved since if one train stops in the attraction all the other trains have to too to keep the same spacing.

Also worthy of note is how much the `travelling sideways` concept is used today - but sadly to enable showscenes to be built on only one side of the track. By its very nature stopping to look at one side of the track means there are large empty spaces behind the riders view on the other side of the track. Only transition scenes have scenery on both sides of the track. And no, there are no original set pieces left behind curtains or similar. Very few 1983 items remain and those that do are more technical in nature.

When you think about it the 1999 to present day system is still quite remarkable. It`s just a shame it is on a curtailed track.

WOW, very interesting info there, thanks!

Seems like everytime I ride it, I always get stuck in between rooms or stuck in the sound room and get the beejesus scared out of me or my head hurting from me slapping my ears in a hurry to cover them, only to be too late because the timing is off. Nonetheless it's a very unique ride system and your explantation was very informative.

ImagineerAndy

That would be sweet, but I really think he was hinting at Star Tours 2.0

Yeah I think you may be right, but if the technology were anything like CAVE it would be transferrable. I do know that Tony will oversee the JII rehab and he will want something much better this time.

Epcot82Guy

I have long thought that a revamped version of the original using the trackless technology would be an amazing feat. I couldn't think of a better attraction to utilize some of those effects.

It will be interesting to see what comes down the pipeline.

Buried20KLeague

In a nutshell:

Martin, you never cease to amaze.

Buried20KLeague

Yeah I think you may be right, but if the technology were anything like CAVE it would be transferrable. I do know that Tony will oversee the JII rehab and he will want something much better this time.

I thought Tony had basically been put in charge of Disneyland projects overall, and with the re-org didn't have much to do with projects solely built for WDW... :confused:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom