Imagination Demolition?

Slowjack

Would now be a bad time to mention that I think Magic Journeys was awesome and a perfect fit for the pavilion?
Merf, I gotta say, Magic Journeys was so oddball I found it difficult to take seriously. I used to call it "A Boy's First Acid Trip."

Personally, I loved Captain EO--a reminder of a time when Michael Jackson was beloved, before he had changed his appearance and behavior beyond the point of being recognizably human. EO was really the only 3D at WDW that told a story and wasn't just a string of gags, the only one that had any sense of drama. Now, I'll admit that Magic Journeys was a better "fit" for the pavilion...but I don't really want to see it again.

Slowjack

Based on what you feel makes a good ride. Not everyone who goes to Disney gets to see a ride at every incarnation. I've only ever seen this JIYI, and I love it. From ride videos, I can see why people loved the last version too, but I can also see why Disney felt it needed updating. It's sad that they seem to have shortened the ride so much, and stopped using like half the building though. If they are going to do some major work, I hope they use the space they have and make a different show.
I'm surprised that you are a Figment fan--I mean, if you only know this version. Tony Baxter said that the reason the original version had the long turntable sequence was to introduce the two main characters. Because the current version takes that out, I think if it was the only version I knew, I wouldn't have any idea who Figment was! But I guess he must make some kind of impression, if he has latter-day fans such as you...

TOTGuy

The problem with this version of the institute is that it lacks heart and instead of Figment being a lovable dragon with very childlike innocence, he has grown up a bit and is an annoying dragon who acts like a spoiled 13 year old throughout the ride. Where Figment was once a heartwarming and lovable character, he has become a torture device.
I agree with you on that. I like the institute theme AND dreamfinder. I think Figment is kinda annoying in the new journey as opposed to the old one.

Watch I'll say that and get assigned journey for the summer!

Thelazer

Yea, I think there was a bit of the funny stuff going around when they thought up Magic Journeys... or, really most of the Imagination ride.

Then again... hell why not. Even it was werid, at least it was something.

Merf, I gotta say, Magic Journeys was so oddball I found it difficult to take seriously. I used to call it "A Boy's First Acid Trip."

Personally, I loved Captain EO--a reminder of a time when Michael Jackson was beloved, before he had changed his appearance and behavior beyond the point of being recognizably human. EO was really the only 3D at WDW that told a story and wasn't just a string of gags, the only one that had any sense of drama. Now, I'll admit that Magic Journeys was a better "fit" for the pavilion...but I don't really want to see it again.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I agree with you on that. I like the institute theme AND dreamfinder. I think Figment is kinda annoying in the new journey as opposed to the old one.

Watch I'll say that and get assigned journey for the summer!

I think that's mostly because our beloved Billy Barty passed away before they could record him recreating the original voice of Figment.

There's also a Valentine's Day pin at WDW with Dreamfinder and Figment. I was so excited to see Dreamfinder merchandise on property when I was down there less than 2 weeks ago.

This is ALL hopefully a sign of something wonderful looming on the horizon.

i dont know if anyone already said this (i didnt read every post) but the address on the file is 1991 Avenue of the Stars, Baylake, Florida. After a quick google search it shows that address right next to epcot basically confirming that it is definetly that Imagination. just thought id throw that in there lol

Enchantâmes

Based on what you feel makes a good ride. Not everyone who goes to Disney gets to see a ride at every incarnation. I've only ever seen this JIYI, and I love it. From ride videos, I can see why people loved the last version too, but I can also see why Disney felt it needed updating. It's sad that they seem to have shortened the ride so much, and stopped using like half the building though. If they are going to do some major work, I hope they use the space they have and make a different show.
It wasn't closed to update it, it was closed due to the contract with Kodak, ride system issues, and money issues. The current version is just a cheap excuse for time fill. I would kick Eric out myself if I could. :fork: (He is good with Monty Python as said before but seriously he needs to stay out of Imagination.)

As I said before, the Imageworks was only the beginning. This is the beginning of the end for the Imagination Institute. Let the carnage of the former pavilion begin as we prepare to make a triumphant return to the Dreamport... And no, I am not kidding.

But to the permit, this is for interior and exterior construction to the pavilion, but they aren't knocking down the whole pavilion. It is essentially the first in many permits to cover the work to be done.
Thank goodness! When I first read that, I thought they were tearing down the entire building ... pyramids and all. So the Dreamport with Dreamfinder is definately returning? SWEET! Disney has finally realized the grave mistake they made in the past. Hopefully we will finally have an Imagination attraction to be proud of.

TheBeatles

The original JII made the biggest impact on me when I was a kid.

Out of all the original EPCOT Center, JII is the most vivid in my memory.

FigmentJedi

I'm wondering how soon they're doing it... Because it may very well time out EXACTLY to the epilogue of my crossover story trilogy with Fig and DF getting the pavilion back in mid-'08.

TOTGuy

Crap this is what I get. I ask for an new attraction and they say either Nemo or Image. I told them I prefer Image and now it might be going away! Hmm, maybe I can convince them to put me on Soarin' instead...

Though just to keep you from getting your hopes up...at my last track talk they said Journey was going to be down just because it was getting a brand new floor while Image Works was being refurbed. Just throwing it out there...

CThaddeus

It wasn't closed to update it, it was closed due to the contract with Kodak, ride system issues, and money issues. The current version is just a cheap excuse for time fill. I would kick Eric out myself if I could. :fork: (He is good with Monty Python as said before but seriously he needs to stay out of Imagination.)

Cut the guy some slack. He didn't write the lame scripts for both attractions. He did the best he could considering what he had to work with. I, too, want Dreamfinder to return, but honestly, in the current incarnation of Imagination, he's the best part. Figment's voice is like nails on a chalkboard (reinstate Billy Barty's voice in version 4.0, please!) and he has lost much of his original "cuteness," the plot (such as it is) is weak, uninspiring, and incredibly unimaginative, and the visuals are about as exciting as Test Track's - lots of blackness with a set or prop here and there. If Eric Idle wasn't a part of the current attraction, I'd probably just skip it all together.

figmentmom

Magic Journeys was so oddball I found it difficult to take seriously. I used to call it "A Boy's First Acid Trip."

Magic Journeys was the STRANGEST thing in the parks! :ROFLOL:

I liked "Captain EO" a lot, too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom