Imagination Demolition?

PigletIsMyCat

I'm surprised that you are a Figment fan--I mean, if you only know this version. Tony Baxter said that the reason the original version had the long turntable sequence was to introduce the two main characters. Because the current version takes that out, I think if it was the only version I knew, I wouldn't have any idea who Figment was! But I guess he must make some kind of impression, if he has latter-day fans such as you...

Well, since I have 'a wonderful imagination', I can appreciate what Figment is. Even when Idle introduces him as 'Figment of imagination' I can see what the possibilities are beyond his role in the actual ride. Especially during the last show scene, when there are multiple Figments doing different things, most of which are fairly creative, I can see the ties between Figment and your imagination being a source of wonder and creativity.

I don't know what the after-ride area used to be like, but I feel that what they have now probably has something to do with how the ride is. While all the the photo-tinkering and music playing is fairly creative, it does seem to lack imagination. By introducing the Imagination Institute theme in the ride, it makes an easy jump to the after-ride area: the five senses are talked about during the ride, and you can do things that connect with or manipulate how you traditionally use your five senses, or what your five senses would traditionally interpret. If that makes any sense outside of my head!

What I'm saying is that yes, even without the original Figment, I see what he could have been and could be.

WDWFigment

Nothing to tell. I'm a bit out of the loop on this. I was only aware of minor refurb work going on at Imagination, not the beginning of a major overhaul.

Actually, I have't yet had time to confirm it, but I believe this may be much ado about nothing at this point. Time frames aren't matching up with what I was told in the past.

This is where my money is. No offense to other "sources" on this topic, but those "sources" have given us incredibly vague details of how a major refurb is coming "very soon" for the last two years. Even if they once knew of a plan to begin a refurb, I don't buy that they have any solid inside connections on this...or anything, really.

TOTGuy

This is where my money is. No offense to other "sources" on this topic, but those "sources" have given us incredibly vague details of how a major refurb is coming "very soon" for the last two years. Even if they once knew of a plan to begin a refurb, I don't buy that they have any solid inside connections on this...or anything, really.
True, and they told us that SSE was going to be a roller coaster, then tomorrow's child was coming back, then GMR was going to be a Villains CAVE ride. Take everything with a grain of salt until you hear it come out of Tony's mouth...
From a FWW CM's perspective we have had no indication that this infact anything other than a minor touch up including floor replacement. Managers say it is down for only a month.

Lee

Adventurer
From a FWW CM's perspective we have had no indication that this infact anything other than a minor touch up including floor replacement. Managers say it is down for only a month.

Looking more and more the case.
I didn't think the big refurb had snuck up on me, and word I get today seems to confirm that.

Brian_B

Why all the JIYI hatred? I love Eric Idle. I love Figment in his current incarnation. And, no, I never saw the 'old' Figment or Dreamfinder.
I find that these two contingencies usually go hand-in-hand around here. I have never seen someone say, "I hated the original, but WOW did they really improve it during the '98 refurb!" The folks who actually like the new one have nothing to compare it to, so it makes sense.

I know it's your opinion and you're entitled to it, but I guarantee that if you like this pathetic incarnation (sorry, but that's the way I feel, having experienced both many times), you'd have simply just been hog-wild delirious over the original. It was a special attraction with something new to see every time (just because there was so much detail).

Actually, my biggest fear is that since they're doing rehab work to the imageworks downstairs, "Demolition" refers only to maybe the tearing out of the current imageworks floor, so that it might be replaced with something less flimsy (so nerds like us won't go through the post show stomping on the plywood to find the old track bed)...

- Brian

rdour@techminds

I hate to bring this up, but I believe I must.

Described attractions are arriving at WDW this year. I had the amazing opportunity to test out the new system, and it was simply amazing. While you enter the building, your Disney provided PDA starts telling you details about the surroundings through your headphones. As you wait to get onto Imagination, you are told what the load area looks like. Then, the device keeps up, perfectly in sync, describing the attraction scenes in realtime.

A lot of work went into this, and more attractions do feature the system. I doubt a lot of people put years of their time and money into such a project just to have it torn down within a few months.

If any of you like binaural audio, check out my audio archive. My home page is temporary, I will work on it when I have time. Besides, you want the audio, so who cares what it looks like anyway.

http://www.ryandour.com/

Look for the Imagination binaural audio. Also, there is something really cool most of you will really like. Lets say it proves my statements. I want everyone who needs it to make sure and actually use the new system while you're at the parks. Disney has hit a home run with this one.

Captain Hank

Described attractions are arriving at WDW this year. I had the amazing opportunity to test out the new system, and it was simply amazing. While you enter the building, your Disney provided PDA starts telling you details about the surroundings through your headphones. As you wait to get onto Imagination, you are told what the load area looks like. Then, the device keeps up, perfectly in sync, describing the attraction scenes in realtime.

A lot of work went into this, and more attractions do feature the system. I doubt a lot of people put years of their time and money into such a project just to have it torn down within a few months.

If any of you like binaural audio, check out my audio archive. My home page is temporary, I will work on it when I have time. Besides, you want the audio, so who cares what it looks like anyway.

Look for the Imagination binaural audio. Also, there is something really cool most of you will really like. Lets say it proves my statements. I want everyone who needs it to make sure and actually use the new system while you're at the parks. Disney has hit a home run with this one.
Thanks for sharing! It seems to be a really cool service.

thedreamfinder

I'm hoping it's a major one. I miss the original ride, and I miss the Dreamfinder and how Figment was on that ride. I really don't think they would bring back that ride even though so many people loved it, but it would be nice if they added some of that back.

WDWFigment

I think I'm missing something. What you tested sounds like a device for the blind. What does that have to do with a new incarnation of JII coming to Epcot? Am I missing something?

Skip

I think I'm missing something. What you tested sounds like a device for the blind. What does that have to do with a new incarnation of JII coming to Epcot? Am I missing something?

I think he's saying that since they just developed this new audio system for the Imagination ride they wouldn't just go and change it upon completion, requiring a new audio set to be made...

...though I'm still hoping for a major refurbishment soon, the current version makes me want to :hurl:

-Skip

Disneykidder

Epcot really needs a "kid" factor like Figment. He is cute, sweet and sounds adorable. The Dreamfinder is overlooked by children but adults like him. Figgy is something else for kids to look at in Epcot because, let's be honest, other than Nemo/Crush, Honey I Shrunk and the character spot, there really isn't much for kids there. The Kidspots in the countrys are cool but it's not much. Figgy must stay so I am glad that I read your original post incorrectly. :)

WDWFigment

I think he's saying that since they just developed this new audio system for the Imagination ride they wouldn't just go and change it upon completion, requiring a new audio set to be made...

...though I'm still hoping for a major refurbishment soon, the current version makes me want to :hurl:

-Skip

Ahhh,

When he said, "Described attractions are arriving at WDW this year." I thought that meant the previously (in this thread) described attraction (new JII) was arriving at WDW this year. Not a system for describing attractions called "Described Attractions". Now it makes sense...

rdour@techminds

Yes, this is a system for descriptive audio for blind and visually impaired park guests. It is really amazing tech. The device is the same one you've all seen with the hand held captioning. The device has audio capability along with GPS. This makes for a great potential future for those of us who navigate the parks without any sighted assistance.

In my case, I navigated unassisted for a great vacation in December. Many challenges presented themselves along the way, but nothing was ever frustrating, dangerous, or overly confusing.

Ryan

I just joined because I just found out..

About what they did to JII!. I saw JII about 20 years ago, I never again saw anything like it, it did turn on my imagination!. I was doing some research about another ride that is supposed to be somewhat like JII but then I find out that Disney brass changed it!:mad: I'm sorry, but if I want to see black ceilings, flourescent light fixtures, purple and orange walls and hear ringing phones I will just to work at the hospital where I'm employed (It was built in the 70s when orange was all the rage). So I have a few questions:

I notice that the black ceiling is much lower than the building structure. Is is possible that the mural, at least some of the upper part, is still there? I can't believe they eliminated the mural, it had to be expensive then and will be more so now. It does seem like the present hallways are within the space of the original queue area.

Figment is the only part of the ride who is at all entertaining, but I agree, he is now a little obnoxious.

I have to ask this: When they come to the "Smell lab" is there actually a skunk smell emitted?:eek: What a great way to get people to ride through once and never come back!:(

Captain Hank

About what they did to JII!. I saw JII about 20 years ago, I never again saw anything like it, it did turn on my imagination!. I was doing some research about another ride that is supposed to be somewhat like JII but then I find out that Disney brass changed it!:mad: I'm sorry, but if I want to see black ceilings, flourescent light fixtures, purple and orange walls and hear ringing phones I will just to work at the hospital where I'm employed (It was built in the 70s when orange was all the rage). So I have a few questions:

I notice that the black ceiling is much lower than the building structure. Is is possible that the mural, at least some of the upper part, is still there? I can't believe they eliminated the mural, it had to be expensive then and will be more so now. It does seem like the present hallways are within the space of the original queue area.

Figment is the only part of the ride who is at all entertaining, but I agree, he is now a little obnoxious.

I have to ask this: When they come to the "Smell lab" is there actually a skunk smell emitted?:eek: What a great way to get people to ride through once and never come back!:(
Unfortunately, I only know the answer to the last question. It's not actually a skunk smell, and not really a good imitation. My dog has gotten up-close and personal with "black and white kitties" on several occasions, so I have a bit of experience with that particular smell. However, it does smell really bad.

Oh, and welcome to WDWMagic! :wave:

jt04

You forgot Stitch's burp smell, and the stink bug smell in ITTBAB not to mention being sneezed on in some other attraction I've forgotten. Now in my opinion one of these bits of humor would have been enough but to have all of these is too much. But evidently this appealed to Eisner's sensibilities as to what is funny so that is what they did. Hopefully there will be a trend away from this type of "humor" at Disney as Universal more than has it covered. Thank you, thank you very much.:D

Thurp

Unfortunately, I only know the answer to the last question. It's not actually a skunk smell, and not really a good imitation. My dog has gotten up-close and personal with "black and white kitties" on several occasions, so I have a bit of experience with that particular smell. However, it does smell really bad.

Oh, and welcome to WDWMagic! :wave:

I always think that the smell has some hint of coffee in it. Or at least it doesn't gross me out anymore ever since I noticed that. (Not a coffee drinker here.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom