If you could be a CM, would you?

If you had the once in a lifetime chance to be a CM, would you?

• Yes. In a heart beat. It would be a dream come true.

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • No. It would ruin too much of the magic.

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

Cindy'sBruno

my dh is about to start school towards his bachelor degree in managment/hospitality. hopefully will finish in two years. it is his dream to work for wdw. always has been but he also has me and our one year old daughter to provide for as well. we look over all our options in everything. one day i hope that we can afford the cost of living there so that he can fullfill his dream. i was born in orlando and pretty much all my family lived there at some point in their lives so i know how hard it is to actually "afford" to live there. it will be tough but if it is only you it will not be so hard. keep pushing toward your dream and possibly one day it will come true!

Phonedave

Beard notwithstanding, I wouldn't consider working as a CM until after I'm retired and have three pensions to live on. The money would never be my driving factor.

My current retirement plan is to sell my house here and use the proceeds to purchase a nicer vacation home in the vicinity of WDW. Then rent a small apartment here and become a Snowbird. Returning to Canada in summer long enough to maintain eligibility for Health Care and wintering in Florida. I'd hire a Property Manager to rent out the vacation home while I'm not there and see to taxes, maintenance and cleaning, funded by the rentals in summer. Living there with an AP in winter and returning here to do charity work in summertime strikes me as a nice balance. If I could throw in some work as a CM, I'd consider it.

Thats sort of along the same lines I would consider.

1) WDW would have to pay me a LOT more money than a front line CM makes in order to entice me at this point in my life.

2) I don't think I could be a front line CM for more than 6 months or so. I would have to move up. I am just not comfortable in a "follower" position. I enjoy responsibility and the ability to lead teams and make decisions. I think being a worker drone, even in retirement, would bore me quickly.

3) At this point in my life, it does sound plesant to be able to winter in Florida and spend some time as a CM. However in reality it would be even more plesant to winter in Florida, and not have to work at all. Instead spend my time doing the things that interest me, on my schedule.

-dave

LudwigVonDrake

I would say No. You don't get paid enough to deal with some of the nonsense you get from guests (especially Tour Groups :lol: ) I'll take my "shot" of Magic once a year, thank you.

Laura

Premium Member
2) I don't think I could be a front line CM for more than 6 months or so. I would have to move up. I am just not comfortable in a "follower" position. I enjoy responsibility and the ability to lead teams and make decisions. I think being a worker drone, even in retirement, would bore me quickly.

That's a good point I hadn't considered. Not to mention if you became a CM after retirement (which is what I've always thought of doing), you'd probably be bossed around by some young kid, which would make it all the more annoying.

TurboCaroline

Is it 5:00 yet?
Beard notwithstanding, I wouldn't consider working as a CM until after I'm retired and have three pensions to live on. The money would never be my driving factor.

My current retirement plan is to sell my house here and use the proceeds to purchase a nicer vacation home in the vicinity of WDW. Then rent a small apartment here and become a Snowbird. Returning to Canada in summer long enough to maintain eligibility for Health Care and wintering in Florida. I'd hire a Property Manager to rent out the vacation home while I'm not there and see to taxes, maintenance and cleaning, funded by the rentals in summer. Living there with an AP in winter and returning here to do charity work in summertime strikes me as a nice balance. If I could throw in some work as a CM, I'd consider it.
So when are you going to retire? I'm sure you are counting down the days..:)

Wilt Dasney

For those of you considering waiting until you join the Geritol set to become CM's, seasonal might be something worth looking into. There are people who maintain their status with a couple of weeks' worth of shifts per year. Just enough time to think "I'm working at Disney...cool!" without giving monotony and frustration a chance to set in.

Laura

Premium Member
For those of you considering waiting until you join the Geritol set to become CM's, seasonal might be something worth looking into. There are people who maintain their status with a couple of weeks' worth of shifts per year. Just enough time to think "I'm working at Disney...cool!" without giving monotony and frustration a chance to set in.

Yup that's my plan. Assuming I still live near a Disney by then.

Actually I don't need to wait till retirement. I just need to wait till my kids are old enough to stay home alone.

Tinkrbell

Ive done the cp for 9 months, seasonal for 5 months now. Its really not that bad, at least working in costuming isnt. Ive been home since may, planning on going back in January to work for a few days to keep my status, then the cp again next fall, hopefully leading to something full time.

luvlifeinfl

I genuinely hope you feel that way. I don't think I will ever point with one finger ever again, to be perfectly honest. And more than anything, I hope it doesn't ruin your magic. Mine hasn't been ruined, I actually respect the magic more because I know how hard it is to make.

A big thing is also your industry. I'm in hospitality and it's not just something I am doing, just because. It's my major. My future. It's a lot to me and I don't want to do it in that capacity. There are so many great things that I have learned, but I want to apply them else where. You may feel the same once you get there, but I hope that you are happy. It is where dreams come true, after all...

DisneyChik,

I am so happy you are getting the experiance, it is the greatest thing in life to have and I also appreciate your honest approach to it. I also see that the postion you to be a great person in in this field of employment.

I just read a book called Creating the Magic by Lee Cocker well, if you have the time read it, it was a eye opener that the magic all starts with us, not the situation starting the magic. I think it will give you ideas on when you advance in your career to make it the best experiance for you & the service you are providing.

agent86

hey arem....i wonder if agent looks like the trolls you see in the movies? :) lol.

There has been some discussion over what constitutes a "personal attack". This is a good example of one. It is not in any way related to the topic we're discussing, nor is it simply an example of disagreeing with my point on something.

Chrononymous

I would love to work there.

I have worked at other theme parks, and I know how cool it is to share what you love about a place with someone else.

I just don't want to move to Orlando to do it. But then maybe one more Midwest Winter will change my mind!

ShadowWind

I think the magic would wear pretty thin for me if I worked there as a ride operator/food service person where I would be dealing with the crowd all of the time. But if I had a backstage CM position in perhaps reservations or Imagineering (programming AA figures), I would jump at that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom