If you could be a CM, would you?

If you had the once in a lifetime chance to be a CM, would you?

• Yes. In a heart beat. It would be a dream come true.

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • No. It would ruin too much of the magic.

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

Astro_Digital

You know for people that said yes being a cast member would be great. I have to ask have you ever watched the cast members?

They are sweeping grounds, putting up with 100s of hot and likely sometimes not very friendly tourists, stand hours listening to the same music over and over again.

Me I say at best it is just job, at worst it maybe a nightmare. I can not imagine for example standing in "It's a Small World" 8 hours a day 5 days a week.

Then you have the hours want to work for Disney, 9 to 5 Monday to Friday? Good luck I expect most CMs are required to work Christmas, hours like 4 to Midnight etc.....

agent86

Not that difficult to get hired

There was a time when Disney was extremely selective in whom they hired to represent them to the public. Not the case any longer. This is evidenced by the multitude of negative threads and posts on here, by current and former Disney CMs, about their jobs and particularly about the guests. So pretty much anyone who wants a job at Disney could get it if they really wanted it. Its not so much the "dream come true" that it used to be.

agent86

Maybe not for you, but for me, it is my dream. :cool:

I dream of the day I can join the ranks. I want to be there so bad, it hurts LOL

That's my point. There was a time when Disney was very particular about whom they hired and only a select few could get in. Not so anymore. Working for Disney is no longer something that a person "dreams" about, but it doesn't happen. It's easy to get a job there.

Now if you're talking about Imagineering, that's a different story. But working at one of the Disney theme parks is as easy as getting a job at McDonald's.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That's my point. There was a time when Disney was very particular about whom they hired and only a select few could get in. Not so anymore. Working for Disney is no longer something that a person "dreams" about, but it doesn't happen. It's easy to get a job there.

Now if you're talking about Imagineering, that's a different story. But working at one of the Disney theme parks is as easy as getting a job at McDonald's.

Unless you wear a beard...

AREM

Original Poster

Regardless of how easy it is to get hired on, its still a dream to alot of people here. Myself included. Its easy to get hired by Disney, ok. Does it make it any less special to those of use who so desperately want to be there?

Not in the least. :D

agent86

Its easy to get hired by Disney, ok. Does it make it any less special to those of use who so desperately want to be there?

Not in the least. :D

Actually it does. Scarcity and difficulty make things special. Neither of those situations exist in this scenario. And there's no need to be "desperate" for something that is easy to get.

Mansion Butler

Me I say at best it is just job, at worst it maybe a nightmare.
Speaking as a Walt Disney World Cast Member: it is not "just a job."

I can not imagine for example standing in "It's a Small World" 8 hours a day 5 days a week.
Small World is actually a decent role (except for the part where it comes with Peter Pan). You're not in IASW all day every day, though. It shares a complex with Peter Pan, and many CMs are trained at every attraction in Fantasyland and move around, keeping things fresh.

Then you have the hours want to work for Disney, 9 to 5 Monday to Friday? Good luck I expect most CMs are required to work Christmas, hours like 4 to Midnight etc.....
Depends. If you're pretty high in seniority in your area (which, frankly, with all the turnover doesn't take very long), you'll get hours pretty close to exactly what you want on the days you want.

AREM

Original Poster
Actually it does. Scarcity and difficulty make things special. Neither of those situations exist in this scenario. And there's no need to be "desperate" for something that is easy to get.

For those of us who don't live anywhere near Orlando, it does make it difficult.

I don't feel like you have a right to tell anyone else that there dream is worthless, or doesn't have any merit, or isn't special.

:wave:

Mansion Butler

There was a time when Disney was extremely selective in whom they hired to represent them to the public. Not the case any longer. This is evidenced by the multitude of negative threads and posts on here, by current and former Disney CMs, about their jobs and particularly about the guests. So pretty much anyone who wants a job at Disney could get it if they really wanted it. Its not so much the "dream come true" that it used to be.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. . . what?

It's easy to get a job there.
Tell that to all the people who can't get full time or even a job at all thanks to the hiring freeze.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Not difficult to shave a beard off though. It comes down to a matter of choice.
Actually, that's not entirely true. I can't shave the beard off without ripping my face to shreds. If it were a matter of choice, then I would.

Sometimes you don't have all the answers. :shrug:

Wilt Dasney

Actually, that's not entirely true. I can't shave the beard off without ripping my face to shreds. If it were a matter of choice, then I would.

Sometimes you don't have all the answers. :shrug:
So you admit you choose keeping the flesh on your face intact over a job at Disney. Now we're getting to the bottom of the story. :hammer:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom