If you could be a CM, would you?

If you had the once in a lifetime chance to be a CM, would you?

• Yes. In a heart beat. It would be a dream come true.

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • No. It would ruin too much of the magic.

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
So you admit you choose to keep the flesh on your face intact. Now we're getting to the bottom of the story. :hammer:
OK, I will fess up... My face is important to me. :p

That, and bleeding all over people seems to be a conversation-killer. :shrug:

Laura

Premium Member
Actually, that's not entirely true. I can't shave the beard off without ripping my face to shreds. If it were a matter of choice, then I would.

Sometimes you don't have all the answers. :shrug:

:lol:

I think he was speaking in general terms and not talking to you specifically.

*mediates* :lookaroun

Monty, perhaps you could work out a deal where you start every work day at the Harmony Barber Shop? :D

sbkline

Actually it does. Scarcity and difficulty make things special. Neither of those situations exist in this scenario. And there's no need to be "desperate" for something that is easy to get.

And that was my basic point in my long post earlier. For someone who lives in Illinois and can only come down to WDW every year or two, that makes a WDW trip, in a sense, scarce and difficult; it's not something that I can just get up and do on a whim anytime I want. It's somthing that I have to plan and wait for. And that's what makes it special.

If I lived down there in Orlando and had all that stuff right in my "backyard" so to speak, and if I had to see it everyday, then it wouldn't be special anymore. It would be like :"Okay, time to go to the Magic Kingdom again. So what...I've spent the past couple months there and it hasn't changed much."

That once a year opportunity to leave your home and your job behind and vacation at WDW is something special to me. Not special at all, in my opinion, if it BECOMES my home and my job. :shrug:

AREM

Original Poster
Then go apply and get a job there. Up and move to Orlando and just do it.

It's financially impossible right now. I'm quite far away from WDW, and I have several bills right now. I live with my aunt, who thankfully does not make me pay rent. If I were to add rent or a house payment onto my monthly bills, it would break me. I couldn't afford it.

So, the only thing holding me back is my car payment. Its my single biggest monthly bill. Once its paid off in a year, I'm off for Disney!!

luvlifeinfl

ok, well I am going to jump in.

1st-AREM, you stick to that dream, some have certain desires in their life and I have followed & chated with you on these boards and you are a person w/ with a big heart, it is a shame that you have others that what to be bashing of a simple question you had asked.

2nd- I have a friend that went through the college program a yr ago and I can tell you that they are selective of who they picked. I can say she was asked to return to help in costuming and she so loves her job.

3rd- I too would love to work at Disney. It might be a job of alot of sacrfice, but honestly I think that it would worth it at the end of the day. One other thing I want to mention is I had really thought of working for DVC, but my husband could not find a job, so we decided right now was not the best time.

PhotoDave219

It's financially impossible right now. I'm quite far away from WDW, and I have several bills right now. I live with my aunt, who thankfully does not make me pay rent. If I were to add rent or a house payment onto my monthly bills, it would break me. I couldn't afford it.

So, the only thing holding me back is my car payment. Its my single biggest monthly bill. Once its paid off in a year, I'm off for Disney!!

So sell it and pay off the loan and use the rest to buy a cheaper POS.

If you want to live your dreams, don't make excuses. FInd ways to make them happen.

WDWFigment

Can we also select the position in this hypothetical? If so, I would do it. If not, I probably would not.

If I could work as a photographer for Yellow Shoes, as in house counsel for the legal department, or somewhere in upper management, I'd do it. If we're talking as a frontline CM, no way. I would not work for that amount of pay. Even if we ignore the pay, I still think I'd be borderline on whether I'd do it. You all name the pros, but there are a lot of cons in being a cast member, too, besides just hurting the magic.

Mansion Butler

You all name the pros, but there are a lot of cons in being a cast member, too, besides just hurting the magic.
Of course there are cons. But for some of us they're outweighed by the pros. I truly love being front line, and while it's not where I intend to stay my whole life, I'm going to miss that part of the job when I move up in the company or somewhere else. There will be parts of it I won't miss, of course, but they're vastly outnumbered by the parts I will.

WDWFigment

Of course there are cons. But for some of us they're outweighed by the pros. I truly love being front line, and while it's not where I intend to stay my whole life, I'm going to miss that part of the job when I move up in the company or somewhere else. There will be parts of it I won't miss, of course, but they're vastly outnumbered by the parts I will.

Understandable, but what I mean is that when people here seem are weighing the pros against the cons, they're only considering some of the cons. I would just caution anyone considering dropping everything and going to work for the mouse to fully deliberate over their decision. It's a big one, and requires serious thought.

For many, I'm sure they will still determine it's the move they want to make, and the pros heavily outweigh the cons. More power to those people!

UrbanDonovan

I haven't heard anyone really say anything about the salary for a CM, which I have heard is rather on the low-end of the spectrum. Can't support a family with pixie dust, unfortunately.

agent86

If you want to live your dreams, don't make excuses. FInd ways to make them happen.

:sohappy: Exactly! Car payments, etc are "brick walls". I love what Randy Pausch said about brick walls... "They are there to give us the opportunity to prove how badly we want something. They are meant to separate us from the people who don't want it badly enough."

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
Can we also select the position in this hypothetical? If so, I would do it. If not, I probably would not.

If I could work as a photographer for Yellow Shoes, as in house counsel for the legal department, or somewhere in upper management, I'd do it. If we're talking as a frontline CM, no way. I would not work for that amount of pay. Even if we ignore the pay, I still think I'd be borderline on whether I'd do it. You all name the pros, but there are a lot of cons in being a cast member, too, besides just hurting the magic.
Beard notwithstanding, I wouldn't consider working as a CM until after I'm retired and have three pensions to live on. The money would never be my driving factor.

My current retirement plan is to sell my house here and use the proceeds to purchase a nicer vacation home in the vicinity of WDW. Then rent a small apartment here and become a Snowbird. Returning to Canada in summer long enough to maintain eligibility for Health Care and wintering in Florida. I'd hire a Property Manager to rent out the vacation home while I'm not there and see to taxes, maintenance and cleaning, funded by the rentals in summer. Living there with an AP in winter and returning here to do charity work in summertime strikes me as a nice balance. If I could throw in some work as a CM, I'd consider it.

AREM

Original Poster

I'm in no way making excuses. My last car was a POS, and I lived in fear of how long would the car last.

If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right. I want a somewhat nice, reliable car. Which is what I am paying off now.

Once again, other people are telling me what I'm feeling or thinking, or doing. I assure you sir, I am not making excuses.

And in regards to finding ways to work to make my dream come true, I got a second job so that I may pay above and beyond what my minimum monthly payment is for my car.

While you may be ok with diving a POS car, I am not. I have slightly higher standards than that.

Beleive me, I am far from just dreaming that one day I'll be a CM. I am working towards my goal.

AREM

Original Poster
"They are there to give us the opportunity to prove how badly we want something. They are meant to separate us from the people who don't want it badly enough."

First off, nice to see you back. :)

Second, I really like that quote. Alot, actually. Very inspiring!

WDWFigment

Beard notwithstanding, I wouldn't consider working as a CM until after I'm retired and have three pensions to live on. The money would never be my driving factor.

My current retirement plan is to sell my house here and use the proceeds to purchase a nicer vacation home in the vicinity of WDW. Then rent a small apartment here and become a Snowbird. Returning to Canada in summer long enough to maintain eligibility for Health Care and wintering in Florida. I'd hire a Property Manager to rent out the vacation home while I'm not there and see to taxes, maintenance and cleaning, funded by the rentals in summer. Living there with an AP in winter and returning here to do charity work in summertime strikes me as a nice balance. If I could throw in some work as a CM, I'd consider it.

I could see myself doing something similar (I've actually talked to Sarah about doing this in the past to assuage her desire to become friends with a princess last summer; to which she responded "retired age people don't get to be princesses"; to which I responded that she could be friends with the Fairy Godmother...she was not amused. Anyway though, I don't know why I limited this topic to the current time of my life). Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, actually. There are a number of roles I could envision enjoying at that point.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom