If you could be a CM, would you?

If you had the once in a lifetime chance to be a CM, would you?

• Yes. In a heart beat. It would be a dream come true.

Votes: 101 83.5%
  • No. It would ruin too much of the magic.

Votes: 20 16.5%

• Total voters

agent86

If you don't currently have X, then X is scarce to you. Where you stand is based on where you sit.

That's not true at all. The simple state of not having something does not make it scarce. It simply means that you do not currently have that thing. It says nothing about how difficult it is to attain. Now if something is difficult for you to attain, then that too does not make it scarce if lots of other people are able to attain it. It simply means that you personally are not able to attain it. That's not the definition of scarce.

What used to make a job at WDW special was that lots of people wanted it but few could actually get it. Why? Because Disney was incredibly selective in their hiring standards. That hasn't been the case for a very long time though. It's true that it is more difficult to find a job nowadays. But that's happening everywhere, and is not something that is unique to Disney. So applying that logic, one could say a job at all is a special thing (which it is). But even in the absence of a recession, getting a job at Disney used to be a special thing because they only hired the best. Not so anymore.

WDW Vacationer

When did this turn in to a thread bashing AREM for not yet having acheived his dream. He has a lot of time...he is still young.

He simply asked a question...answer...disscuss...move on. No need to reach back to the OP and nit-pick.

You guys always make his threads a disaster.

PhotoDave219

I'm in no way making excuses. My last car was a POS, and I lived in fear of how long would the car last.

If I'm gonna do this, I'm gonna do it right. I want a somewhat nice, reliable car. Which is what I am paying off now.

Once again, other people are telling me what I'm feeling or thinking, or doing. I assure you sir, I am not making excuses.

And in regards to finding ways to work to make my dream come true, I got a second job so that I may pay above and beyond what my minimum monthly payment is for my car.

While you may be ok with diving a POS car, I am not. I have slightly higher standards than that.

Beleive me, I am far from just dreaming that one day I'll be a CM. I am working towards my goal.

I'm just sayin that if you have a dream, do whatever you can to go make it a reality.

Of course its not like they're actually hiring this week, so you're probably better off applying in a year anyways. Have you considered DCL?

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I could see myself doing something similar (I've actually talked to Sarah about doing this in the past to assuage her desire to become friends with a princess last summer; to which she responded "retired age people don't get to be princesses"; to which I responded that she could be friends with the Fairy Godmother...she was not amused. Anyway though, I don't know why I limited this topic to the current time of my life). Sounds like a pretty good plan to me, actually. There are a number of roles I could envision enjoying at that point.
And you're still alive? Amazing! :lol:

I've always thought of being on turnstiles at MK first thing in the morning, I've had some great conversations with CMs there while waiting for opening. My other choice would be singing Bass for one of the quartets on Main Street USA.

Me too. It's my favorite quote from the Last Lecture.
My absolute favourite quote from Randy's Carnegie Mellon Lecture is:

The slide said: "Have you figured out the second head-fake? This talk wasn't for you guys. It was for Dylan, Logan, and Chloe."

Verbally, he said: "Have you figured out the second head-fake? This talk is not for you. It's for my kids."

Wilt Dasney

That's not true at all. The simple state of not having something does not make it scarce. It simply means that you do not currently have that thing. It says nothing about how difficult it is to attain. Now if something is difficult for you to attain, then that too does not make it scarce if lots of other people are able to attain it. It simply means that you personally are not able to attain it. That's not the definition of scarce.

The post I was responding to was in response to the following: "Its easy to get hired by Disney, ok. Does it make it any less special to those of use who so desperately want to be there?"

Your reply was "Actually it does. Scarcity and difficulty make things special. Neither of those situations exist in this scenario."

The original question was on the legitimacy of perceiving a Disney job as special. Since "specialness" is an inherently subjective quality which exists purely in the eye of the beholder, the objective presence or absence of scarcity is irrelevant. All that is required is the perception of scarcity, which can arise from simply not possessing the object or position in question.

captain marvel1

I work at a Publix grocery store as a front end bagger. I would leave it in a heartbeat if i could ever get the chance to work for the greatest company of all time the Walt Disney parks it could be land or world at any location. I know in my heart my true calling is working for them. The thing thats stopping me is transportation I'm autistic and cant drive unless i have someone with me and i cant handle money real well. However i can clean the worst spills or do maintenance with the best of them. My parents lost their jobs twice once in California the other in Michigian so i do know a little something about magic and miracles now i live in Florida.

Mouse Man

To me being a cast member would be special. You see I love WDW and visit almost every year. I would love to make children and first time adults experience really enjoyable and exciting as the CM'S has done for me. WDW is just a magical special place that I never get tired of.

agent86

My absolute favourite quote from Randy's Carnegie Mellon Lecture is:

The slide said: "Have you figured out the second head-fake? This talk wasn't for you guys. It was for Dylan, Logan, and Chloe."

Verbally, he said: "Have you figured out the second head-fake? This talk is not for you. It's for my kids."

That was a good part too. In the book, he talks about how he had to convince his wife how important it was to him to do the lecture for that reason. But preparing for it was consuming all his time and eating into time that she and the kids could spend with him.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
That was a good part too. In the book, he talks about how he had to convince his wife how important it was to him to do the lecture for that reason. But preparing for it was consuming all his time and eating into time that she and the kids could spend with him.
Another minor point... They stopped calling the lectures 'The Last Lecture" before he did it. A point he bemoans at the start of his talk. :lol:

Mansion Butler

To me being a cast member would be special. You see I love WDW and visit almost every year. I would love to make children and first time adults experience really enjoyable and exciting as the CM'S has done for me. WDW is just a magical special place that I never get tired of.
Those first-time visitor pins always make me feel funny. It gives me a sort of thought process like "now I have to make sure you see why everyone else loves this place."

DisneyChik17

I am a frontline CM (I'll give you one guess as to what I do) and I can tell you that it is a double-edge sword.

It is awesome. I have had a great experience. I have met some very interesting people. I have made some serious magic for some folks. I get to go to the parks for FREE, whenever I have the time.

But, at the same time, I am so ready to be home. The money isn't good. The hours aren't great. Some places, the management sucks. I am lucky enough to have good managers, actually AMAZING managers, but that doesn't fix every little bad thing at work.

Financially, it's a burden. Time wise, it's inconvenient. Conditions wise, it is no better or worse than any other hotel/resort I have worked at.

Overall, it has been the best decision I ever made because I have grown and learned a lot about the industry and myself. I am ready to come back home and be normal and move on with my lessons.

Do I want to go back and work there full time? No. Will I maintain a status there? As a seasonal CM, most likely, for the perks. Because every once in a while, putting on that big smile, calling every little girl a princess, and having a little pixie dust isn't all that bad. :)

toetheline29

It is something I would like to do, and something that hopefully I will do. I'm hoping to do the College Program at some point here. Unlike what seems like most of the people who do the CP, I don't really want to work for Disney long-term, not in the parks or in upper level management. There's a lot of reasons for that, but part of it is definitely that I want to be able to maintain Disney as a vacation destination. I view the CP as a 6-month vacation to WDW. I know that's not what it is, and I know that I'll be working, but I'll get to be at WDW for months on end, and to me that's pretty cool. I think it'll give me a good taste for what working there is like, and should meet my Disney fix at least for a little bit. But if I were to make Disney my career... I wouldn't be able to vacation there. Even though I could still visit, it wouldn't be the same and I wouldn't want to give that up long term.

AREM

Original Poster
I am a frontline CM (I'll give you one guess as to what I do) and I can tell you that it is a double-edge sword.

It is awesome. I have had a great experience. I have met some very interesting people. I have made some serious magic for some folks. I get to go to the parks for FREE, whenever I have the time.

But, at the same time, I am so ready to be home. The money isn't good. The hours aren't great. Some places, the management sucks. I am lucky enough to have good managers, actually AMAZING managers, but that doesn't fix every little bad thing at work.

Financially, it's a burden. Time wise, it's inconvenient. Conditions wise, it is no better or worse than any other hotel/resort I have worked at.

Overall, it has been the best decision I ever made because I have grown and learned a lot about the industry and myself. I am ready to come back home and be normal and move on with my lessons.

Do I want to go back and work there full time? No. Will I maintain a status there? As a seasonal CM, most likely, for the perks. Because every once in a while, putting on that big smile, calling every little girl a princess, and having a little pixie dust isn't all that bad. :)

Calling little girls princess and little boys prince, pointing with two fingers, telling people what time the 3 o'clock parade is......I want to do all that!

And while, like any job, this one would have its stressful times, I still think that, at the end of the day, I would be one happy and lucky guy. :wave:

rct247

Like DisneyChick said, the job has lots of pros and cons, but if you look at it the right way, the pros will always outweigh the cons.

Oh and being a custodian does take a bit getting used to, but as long as you look at all the magic you get to make, the cleaning up messes are nothing!! Great job!

TheBeatles

The way I see it...

If you really want to see WDW from all angles, do the College Program. You see both sides of what working for Disney is actually like. Some days I had the awful end, most days I had the wonderful end.

Your location plays a big role in how you feel, but the people around you are what make or break your spirit.

AREM, I admire your passion for WDW, but I've also got to point out the validity of those who oppose your view. If you have any questions and want honest answers of what the CP was like, feel free to PM me.

Disney is a strange company to work for and try to advance in. You can approach it multiple ways, but determining which direction to take is hard.

DisneyChik17

Calling little girls princess and little boys prince, pointing with two fingers, telling people what time the 3 o'clock parade is......I want to do all that!

And while, like any job, this one would have its stressful times, I still think that, at the end of the day, I would be one happy and lucky guy. :wave:

I genuinely hope you feel that way. I don't think I will ever point with one finger ever again, to be perfectly honest. And more than anything, I hope it doesn't ruin your magic. Mine hasn't been ruined, I actually respect the magic more because I know how hard it is to make.

A big thing is also your industry. I'm in hospitality and it's not just something I am doing, just because. It's my major. My future. It's a lot to me and I don't want to do it in that capacity. There are so many great things that I have learned, but I want to apply them else where. You may feel the same once you get there, but I hope that you are happy. It is where dreams come true, after all...

DisneyChik17

AREM, I admire your passion for WDW, but I've also got to point of the validity of those who oppose your view. If you have any questions and want honest answers of what the CP was like, feel free to PM me.

Disney is a strange company to work for and try to advance in. You can approach it multiple ways, but determining which direction to take is hard.

I feel the same general way. PM me also, if you would like, I'm in it right now and would love to share my experiences, thus far.

AREM

Original Poster
Sure, if you guys would like to PM me any useful tips or info about being a CM, that would be great! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom