I have a Bone to pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krack

Perhaps you should ask the person being forced to make the decision that sort of question, instead of making assumptions on their behalf.

I would have no problem asking each and every person bringing an ECV into one of the parks (or trying to rent one) why a motorized cart is necessary, instead of using a manually propelled wheelchair. You may feel it's wrong to ask someone about their medical condition; I think it's wrong to let lazy people abuse the system and allow those with actual disabilities, injuries or medical conditions be unfairly lumped in with them.

The system is quickly getting out of control. People would ride golf carts around the parks if Disney would let them. At some point, you have to say enough is enough and institute some actual regulations.

maggiegrace1

Like I have said before...if the fact that people using strollers and wheelchairs (whether they really need them or not) bothers you so much..you obviously have some underlying issues of your own that cannot be fixed on a Disney Forum.

I would hate to be on vacation with all of you people who complain about big kids in strollers and peopleon an ECVbecause obviously you are so worried about everyone else around you that you cannot focus on enjoying yourself.

Get a life!

:D

jsteph

Well my daughter is 6, 52 inches tall and has a mild form of Cerebal Palsey. We will be using a double stroller for her and her little sister, 2 around this year in a double. However, next time she walks. I know it will be rough for her, but imo she will be too big for one. She actually is going to probably not like being strolled this year. But, because of her CP, I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

However, I am also take into consideration other people. You will never see me roll a stroller onto the Monorail for instance. Didn't do that the first year we took our daughter and I would not do it now. I always pay attention to where I am going as well. Never take the thing into stores or places to eat.

Sorry. Next time, we will have a single stroller. But this Sept we will have a double for the first time.

sublimesting

Has anyone ever stopped to consider the plight of us poor parents that have to use strollers for our kids?
Seriously.
My DW and I are used to zipping throughout the crowd and making it from one side of the park to the other in minutes. Now that we have to push a stroller we'll be forced to waddle behind people that barely know how to walk (stopping dead in their tracks, absent-mindidly wandering in circles, just plain walking super slow, walking 6 abreast clogging the walkway, entering a building and stopping in the doorway to have a look around, and my favorite: stopping abruptly and pivoting around 180 and begin walking all in one fluid motion of stupidity.)

I often wonder how many people that complain about being crushed by strollers are one of these stopping abruptly people.

Evil Genius

Well my daughter is 6, 52 inches tall and has a mild form of Cerebal Palsey. We will be using a double stroller for her and her little sister, 2 around this year in a double. However, next time she walks. I know it will be rough for her, but imo she will be too big for one. She actually is going to probably not like being strolled this year. But, because of her CP, I don't care what anyone thinks about it.

However, I am also take into consideration other people. You will never see me roll a stroller onto the Monorail for instance. Didn't do that the first year we took our daughter and I would not do it now. I always pay attention to where I am going as well. Never take the thing into stores or places to eat.

Sorry. Next time, we will have a single stroller. But this Sept we will have a double for the first time.

That is crucial! It isn't the over abundance of strollers to be concerned about. It's the people who simply are clueless as to the proper ettiquette when using one! We do all the stuff above as well. It's common sense! Or at least it should be.

Evil Genius

Has anyone ever stopped to consider the plight of us poor parents that have to use strollers for our kids?
Seriously.
My DW and I are used to zipping throughout the crowd and making it from one side of the park to the other in minutes. Now that we have to push a stroller we'll be forced to waddle behind people that barely know how to walk (stopping dead in their tracks, absent-mindidly wandering in circles, just plain walking super slow, walking 6 abreast clogging the walkway, entering a building and stopping in the doorway to have a look around, and my favorite: stopping abruptly and pivoting around 180 and begin walking all in one fluid motion of stupidity.)

I often wonder how many people that complain about being crushed by strollers are one of these stopping abruptly people.

THAT my friend is my biggest and ONLY pet peeve in the parks. The complete lack of proper human motor skills some folks posses!

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
I would have no problem asking each and every person bringing an ECV into one of the parks (or trying to rent one) why a motorized cart is necessary, instead of using a manually propelled wheelchair. You may feel it's wrong to ask someone about their medical condition; I think it's wrong to let lazy people abuse the system and allow those with actual disabilities, injuries or medical conditions be unfairly lumped in with them.

The system is quickly getting out of control. People would ride golf carts around the parks if Disney would let them. At some point, you have to say enough is enough and institute some actual regulations.

Because after all, it's TDO's fault that they allow every single person or family who asks to ride in an ECV, double stroller, or even single stroller. Because after all they should be asking for a full medical and criminal background check. Let's face it, that's the only way to truly weed out the undesirables and abusers of the system. :brick:

kaos

So ummm... can I bring a stroller for my 11 month old? AND-

CAN SOMEONE POINT ME IN THE DIRECTION OF THE STROLLER WITH THE KEG????

If you (and if you take offense to this than I am talking to you, and if you don't than I'm not) feel the need to be judge, jury and executioner of someone that you don't know's situation, whether it be health, financial, or otherwise, then you should also be the person(s) responsible for rectifying said situation.

If you see a mother struggling to walk up the ramp to Tomorrowland with her child in a stroller that appears to be perfectly healthy and the size of a 4 year old, for example, do you think that the mother really wants to be huffing and puffing and sweating in the 90's summer heat and humidity of WDW? Let's say that you see this, assume that the 4-year-old appearing child is perfectly happy and healthy. What do you do? Do you walk over to the mother and say "why don't you let your kid walk?" Do you walk over and offer to help (probably not since you despise others enjoying themselves), or do you come here to and complain about how some people just make it their business to ruin your day by pushing their child around in a stroller?

In my line(s) of work, I have seen people that require very little assistance, people that require the group to walk just a tad slower, and people that, visually, appear perfect but are in a wheelchair. I do not discriminate. Of course, I have the advantage of being empathic towards others situations, and know that diversity and hardship are all around. I see my son, and realize that he doesn't like being in the stroller, but he will be in one because right now he's only 7 months old, and as much as I LOVE having him wrapped around me, I cannot carry him all over, and he cannot walk or crawl all over to keep up with me just yet. I look at my nephew- 2 years old, walks, runs, but is still developing. Sometimes he's the kid that APPEARS well enough to walk but in a stroller, sometimes he's that kid that needs to be in the stroller because for every step me or my brother take, he takes three, and sometimes he's that annoying kid that is pushing the stroller because that's what he sees mommy and daddy doing. And I look at this, and just think to myself- this is how this individual is developing.

And finally- those of you out there that despise children, strollers, and/or the parents that bring their families and kids to WDW for a vacation, were you never in a stroller? Were you never that 3 or 4 or 5 or 6 year old that was being pushed by your parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles, in a stroller?

And my Jerry Springer final thought on this, and then I'm done-
Has anyone noticed the attendance numbers at MK and DHS lately? They are WAY up. And why are they way up? TDO has done the greatest job of marketing and advertising to the core group of that wonderful 29-39 demo- FAMILIES with more than one child! That's right! There are more strollers in the MK and DHS because there are more families with younger children taking that trip to WDW now than ever before! A family of 4, with Mom, Dad, the 5 year and the 2 1/2 year oldl can now go to WDW on a WDW Travel plan for right about $1800 a week!

So suck it up all of you stroller haters and remember- one day, you'll be the one pushing the stroller, and let's all pray that we're all the ones in our 90's that need that ECV or wheelchair to enjoy that trip to WDW...

jakeman

I would have no problem asking each and every person bringing an ECV into one of the parks (or trying to rent one) why a motorized cart is necessary, instead of using a manually propelled wheelchair.
Wow...just...wow. That is pretty sick, nosy, and all around disturbing.

No one should be forced to give up any medical information to attend a theme park.

Disney would have no reason to ask for this information.

If they did, they would be breaking about a half dozen laws, least of which would be ADA and HIPAA.

Who is going to run that risk and make that evaluation? A front line CM who may have only have a high school degree? Should Disney start posting physican at the wheelchair rental and conduct full physicals?

cdunbar

Wow...just...wow. That is pretty sick, nosy, and all around disturbing.

No one should be forced to give up any medical information to attend a theme park.

Disney would have no reason to ask for this information.

If they did, they would be breaking about a half dozen laws, least of which would be ADA and HIPAA.

Who is going to run that risk and make that evaluation? A front line CM who may have only have a high school degree? Should Disney start posting physican at the wheelchair rental and conduct full physicals?

Exactly HIPPA won't even allow a husband or wife for that matter to call and check on the others medical records you really think that HIPPA would allow Disney to ask that question? Get real.

jakeman

Exactly HIPPA won't even allow a husband or wife for that matter to call and check on the others medical records you really think that HIPPA would allow Disney to ask that question? Get real.
I've got to think that Krack is just trolling at this point.

It is such an outlandish stance to take.

I think most of us get annoyed at one point or another in our vacation because of strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs, drunks, FP idiots, DDP idiots, and a myriad of other types of people, but I also think that for most of us adults the annoyance last about 5 seconds because they are immediately impeding us and are forgotten about 5 seconds later.

We might even come here to vent about it (because really we know that Disney shouldn't/can't do anything about it), but...

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would want to deny access to a theme park based on their objective evaluation of their physical fitness.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

I think most of us get annoyed at one point or another in our vacation because of strollers, wheelchairs, ECVs, drunks, FP idiots, DDP idiots, and a myriad of other types of people, but I also think that for most of us adults the annoyance last about 5 seconds because they are immediately impeding us and are forgotten about 5 seconds later.

We might even come here to vent about it (because really we know that Disney shouldn't/can't do anything about it), but...

I can't believe that anyone in their right mind would want to deny access to a theme park based on their objective evaluation of their physical fitness.

images

cdunbar

He's got to be....

Here will this help get rid of him...

picture.php

Krack

There's nothing trolling about it; I'd actually prefer you not respond to my posts. I disagree with you - it's a free country, it is my right to do so.

The ADA only requires that businesses accommodate certain wheelchairs (ones within a particular set of dimensions and that weigh less than 600 lbs including the rider). I don't have any facts or figures, but if I had to guess, I'd say an awful lot of the ECV users are close to or exceeding that 600 lbs total weight. I would further guess that many of those people, if given the option of utilizing a manually operated wheelchair or walking would choose walking. This would go a long ways towards alleviating the abuse of the system.

If someone wanted to drive a golf cart around EPCOT, it would universally be regarded as ridiculous. But when that same person wants to drive a slow moped around the park, somehow it becomes outlandish to question this practice. I disagree.

If someone requires a wheelchair due to an injury or a disability (or even old age), that's different. But having people playing bumper cars in motorized vehicles because they are too lazy or too fat to walk is, in my opinion, (1) an abuse of the system, (2) unfair to those who medically require wheeled transportation, (3) negatively impacts the park visit of other guests, and (3) is potentially dangerous. The parks are simply too congested for it not to be dangerous.

I'm old enough to remember when it wasn't like this. Somehow, people managed to get around the parks in regular wheelchairs. One trip, I pushed my 80 year old grandfather around the parks in a wheelchair for a week (and he complained the entire time because he wanted to walk with his cane). On another trip, I walked around the parks for three days on crutches (having broke an ankle the previous week). However, I refuse to branded a troll because my opinion is not conventional wisdom - if you dislike my point of view, feel free to skip right by my comments.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
And yet with all of these fat, lazy, unindustrial slobs meandering through the parks Disney still manages to keep things moving along without medical notes or Secret Service background checks.

It's not opinions that bother people- it's the absolutism attached to them.

jakeman

There's nothing trolling about it; I'd actually prefer you not respond to my posts. I disagree with you - it's a free country, it is my right to do so.
As it is my right to respond. It's not my fault most of your positions can't stand up to a good logical pounding. There is an ignore feature if you no longer wish to see my replies.

...I don't have any facts or figures...
You should probably just put this as your signature.

If someone wanted to drive a golf cart around EPCOT, it would universally be regarded as ridiculous. But when that same person wants to drive a slow moped around the park, somehow it becomes outlandish to question this practice. I disagree.
No it's outlandish to request private medical information to make a moral determination on who should and should not have an ECV. That is what you have consistently suggested.

Krack, I understand that you think we all used to ride unicorns and fart rainbows at WDW, but can you fathom just for a minute that your way is pious, judgmental, absolutist, illegal, and least of all horribly, horribly bad for business?

Or is the preservation of what you remember WDW being 16 years ago so important, no other considerations matter?

Pepper's Ghost

I agree with this 100%. It's very usually a temporary annoyance that is forgotten moments later. The only time it's not forgotten that quickly is when I can still feel it in my ankle later that night or the next day.

The other time it's not forgotten too quickly is when I walk a little faster to be the 10th person in line to get on the bus, but I have to watch a dozen large groups fill 4 consecutive buses before I'm able to get on one because of ECVs. That annoyance sticks with me for about an hour give or take depending on how frequent the buses are. In any case, it doesn't stop me from having the right to discuss my point of view. It also doesn't mean I have deep-rooted personal issues other than not liking when people abuse the system.

In any case, some of you are still insisting that we are saying that strollers should NOT be allowed at all. Or that ECVs shouldn't be allowed either. It's not the needed use that we find to be a nuisance. It's the excessive abuse of the system. Some large families rent ECVs so that they can get on buses immediately without having to wait in line. I know that's not a large amount of people that do that, but when you see several large groups board buses in front of you while you've patiently waited for 45 mins late in the evening, that becomes annoying. I don't understand the defense of people that feel they are entitled to go to the head of the line? They just spent an entire day at a park, but they are unable to wait in line at the end of the day for a bus?

I don't think that medical records or anything of the kind should be required. What would make this whole situation a little more fair? When an ECV pulls up for a bus, the person in the vehicle waits in line with everyone else (seated in their vehicle of course). If they didn't get preferential treatment in getting first access to the buses, that might cut down on some of the abuse of the system. Unfortunately the way the waiting areas are currently roped, it would never work. And please don't argue that some people are in need to get to their hotel more quickly because those people just stayed at the park the entire day. Sitting in their ECV in line isn't going to be any worse than touring the park all day long. If they do need to get back more quickly, they should leave the park a little earlier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom