I have a Bone to pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

graphite1326

Original Poster
Like I have said before...if the fact that people using strollers and wheelchairs (whether they really need them or not) bothers you so much..you obviously have some underlying issues of your own that cannot be fixed on a Disney Forum.

I would hate to be on vacation with all of you people who complain about big kids in strollers and peopleon an ECVbecause obviously you are so worried about everyone else around you that you cannot focus on enjoying yourself.

Get a life!

:D

notice how we are just ignoring you now

jakeman

Or that ECVs shouldn't be allowed either.
Some are arguing for this though.

I also think we all understand there is abuse of the system, but I think that most of us realize that there is nothing that can be done that would either be: 1. Illegal or 2. bad for business.

What I take issue to is the argument that Disney should violate or require private medical information to determine who gets what services.

It would be interesting in discussing reforms of the system (for example your suggestion of overhauling the bus queue) that would limit abuse, but extremes in not only solutions, but of people who take advantage (either justified or not) of the system isn't a very interesting discussion (albeit juxtaposed as very entertaining to read and respond to, like one of those "When Animal's Attack" videos).

I don't think families need Sherman-class strollers and coolers in the parks. I also think there are some folks on ECVs that could stand to have a nice jog around the WS. With that said, I wouldn't want Disney to limit either in a way that would make either party feel like a second class guest.

Pepper's Ghost

Well said Jake, and I agree with you. I wouldn't mind seeing ECVs waiting in line for buses (not rides) with everyone else, but short of that, I can't see restricting the use of them in any way. In any case, until the abuse is curbed in some way, this will continue to be a nuisance to many, or even most. Keep in mind that abuse does not include those who really need them.

Dayma

I really wish people would read the posts before they add a comment here. That is what I said in the very beginning. The complaint was that older kids were still using strollers. 7,8,9 & even 10 year old kids.

Sorry it was not directed at you. It was directed at the thought of another Stroller thread. If you been on these boards for years you see alot of them :)

jakeman

Well said Jake, and I agree with you. I wouldn't mind seeing ECVs waiting in line for buses (not rides) with everyone else, but short of that, I can't see restricting the use of them in any way. In any case, until the abuse is curbed in some way, this will continue to be a nuisance to many, or even most. Keep in mind that abuse does not include those who really need them.
I would think that out of all the effects of the increase in strollers and ECVs the impact on transportation (especially ECVs) is the greatest.

I wonder if they track efficiency and if that value has decrease over the past few decades?

Not only do ECV decrease the amount of people the bus can carry, they also seem to greatly increase the load time.

I'm surprised Disney has not gone to a more modular design on their buses that can accommodate more ECVs than the current fleet.

fosse76

Personally, I do think that this is a problem that is somewhat within Disney's control (specifically TDO). I was at Disnleylad 5 days this year, and I think I saw maybe ONE ECV my entire trip. I visit countless theme and amusement parks, zoos and musems. WDW is the ONLY place where ECVs and strollers are completely out of control with usage. Exactly what is it about WDW that it is only a problem there?

Pepper's Ghost

It was directed at the thought of another Stroller thread. If you been on these boards for years you see alot of them :)

I'm newer to the boards too, so I've not yet seen this debate before. I guess that's how I got sucked in. :)

I think a misunderstanding and inability to articulate exactly what we think is the main problem for the debate. I don't think that people who are not abusing the system are defending those who do. And most of those who are annoyed by the situation don't mean that people with the need for these amenities should be denied them. I think the debate just festers and it's due to the inability for both sides to understand where the true issue lies.

It does make for some entertaining commentary back and forth as long as everyone is respectful. :)

jakeman

Personally, I do think that this is a problem that is somewhat within Disney's control (specifically TDO).
How exactly is it TDO's problem?

Perhaps it is more of the mindset of the guest.

Given that the same amenities are available at both parks, I'm not sure why evil TDO should be blamed for this one.

Pepper's Ghost

I would think that out of all the effects of the increase in strollers and ECVs the impact on transportation (especially ECVs) is the greatest.

I wonder if they track efficiency and if that value has decrease over the past few decades?

Not only do ECV decrease the amount of people the bus can carry, they also seem to greatly increase the load time.

I'm surprised Disney has not gone to a more modular design on their buses that can accommodate more ECVs than the current fleet.

EXACTLY! I'm totally with you there my friend. I don't get it either. Each hotel should have at least one bus that is made just for ECVs. They should make a bus that loads from the rear (let's keep the comments clean about that comment :)) and doesn't require a huge lift to be lowered and raised at a clip of a half inch every 5 seconds. It should just have a massive ramp in the back that lowers from it's upright position and would have a very gradual incline and the vehicles can just roll right up and be loaded one after another. And the bus should accomodate only one other standing passenger per ECV. Others in the group should wait in line with everyone else. That would solve so many problems. :hammer::sohappy:

WDWLOVER1957

In other words, Disney can block a 310 lbs person from bringing their 300 lbs ECV into the parks and provide them with a regular (lighterweight, non-motorized) wheelchair instead.

Right so a 310 pound guest comes and has only got one arm and no one to push them, Disney would refuse them entry, you need to really take a look around at Disney, no one knows what a persons illness is or how it affect them, so who are you to judge

Pepper's Ghost

How exactly is it TDO's problem?

Perhaps it is more of the mindset of the guest.

Given that the same amenities are available at both parks, I'm not sure why evil TDO should be blamed for this one.

Well, DL doesn't have the same transportation arrangement that WDW has, does it? It's been so many years since I've been to DL, so maybe I'm wrong. But the preferential treatment of ECVs in the transportation system at WDW breeds some of the abuse, doesn't it? Why do I, as a paying guest, have to accept and be content that some selfish people are going to abuse the system?

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Well, DL doesn't have the same transportation arrangement that WDW has, does it? It's been so many years since I've been to DL, so maybe I'm wrong. But the preferential treatment of ECVs in the transportation system breeds some of the abuse, doesn't it? Why do I have to accept and be content that some selfish people are going to abuse the system?

DL also doesn't have the size that WDW has, or the number of visitors. That many extra people, on EVCs, in strollers or wheelerchairs, is going to lead to a modicum of individuals "abusing the system." That still doesn't make it TDO's fault.

Buried20KLeague

If they did, they would be breaking about a half dozen laws, least of which would be ADA and HIPAA.

Why couldn't they require a doctor's note for ECV's or strollers over a certain age? That wouldn't violate anything. :shrug:

Abuse of the system has become rampant. That's a fact that no one can dispute, as stroller and ECV use has climbed hundreds of percent... WAY over what would be considered "normal".

Everyone gets so defensive on this topic. I don't get it. If you NEED to use an ECV or stroller, THEN THESE PEOPLE AREN'T TALKING ABOUT YOU. It's the people that abuse the system that are the issue.

A doctor's note would cut down on it quite a bit just as a deterrent, and would allow those that have a need for one of these to still use them with fairly little effort. Heck... Seems to me it would make it EASIER for those people because the walkways would be less crowded for them, making it easier to navigate said strollers and ECV's.

And even then, it would seem Disney couldn't enforce anything on third party ECV rentals and strollers brought from home... So there would still be avenues for virtually anyone that wanted to use these things... It would just mean a little more effort, which in and of itself would stop some people.

WDWLOVER1957

What's wrong with using a normal wheelchair?

you ever pushed one all day, talked to the back of the person in the chairs head, I have and while I didnt mind, my wife did, we couldnt have a proper conversation she couldnt hear me and vice versa, till you have had to do it day in day out, you have no right to even ask this question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom