I have a Bone to pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepper's Ghost

I find this objectionable.

strollers.jpg

3056822947_be98b66e9a.jpg

I don't necessarily find it objectionable, but I'd say it's definitely a nuisance to other guests. Not only to non-stroller using guests, but for those families with younger kids and kids with special needs. Those poor folks have to go swimming through this sea of strollers to find theirs. I feel even more sorry for those people because I can do my best to go around them. They have no choice but to go into the stroller abyss.

And someone else said that the park was built to cater to "families" and if you object to strollers then you have serious issues. Ummm, that's a good way to muddy the waters for the sake of your argument. I'll say it again since this part of the argument keeps getting lost.... those who object don't object to the use of strollers for families in general. Some of us however feel that the overuse of gargantuan strollers can be annoying.

I never had the opportunity to enjoy the parks before the massive increase in the use of strollers, but from what I've heard here from those who have witnessed it, "families" were able to get along just fine without them before. So why are kids these days so desparately in need of strollers compared to many years ago?? And what caused the need for strollers to increase so incredibly much? I don't know the answers to those questions, but I think those answers could clear up the debate pretty easily. Perhaps the answer is that families take longer trips these days than they did years ago. That might makes sense. Your kids are getting dragged around the park for 8 days instead of 3 or 4 days when there were only 2 parks, so they get tired more quickly. Or perhaps the increase is due to the reasons already stated in this thread which includes laziness and selfishness. It's probably a combination of those two reasons and many others.

I don't expect Disney to fix this issue though. It's a cash cow for them. And unlike boom boxes, bicycles, rollerblades, etc., I don't feel that strollers fits into the category of what should not be allowed, and to try to limit them in size would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

Yeah,I see the strollers AND the fat adults with their fat kids....I just have become immune! No way I would EVER allow myself to become that way as an adult!
Jim

graphite1326

Original Poster
I don't necessarily find it objectionable, but I'd say it's definitely a nuisance to other guests. Not only to non-stroller using guests, but for those families with younger kids and kids with special needs. Those poor folks have to go swimming through this sea of strollers to find theirs. I feel even more sorry for those people because I can do my best to go around them. They have no choice but to go into the stroller abyss.

And someone else said that the park was built to cater to "families" and if you object to strollers then you have serious issues. Ummm, that's a good way to muddy the waters for the sake of your argument. I'll say it again since this part of the argument keeps getting lost.... those who object don't object to the use of strollers for families in general. Some of us however feel that the overuse of gargantuan strollers can be annoying.

I never had the opportunity to enjoy the parks before the massive increase in the use of strollers, but from what I've heard here from those who have witnessed it, "families" were able to get along just fine without them before. So why are kids these days so desparately in need of strollers compared to many years ago?? And what caused the need for strollers to increase so incredibly much? I don't know the answers to those questions, but I think those answers could clear up the debate pretty easily. Perhaps the answer is that families take longer trips these days than they did years ago. That might makes sense. Your kids are getting dragged around the park for 8 days instead of 3 or 4 days when there were only 2 parks, so they get tired more quickly. Or perhaps the increase is due to the reasons already stated in this thread which includes laziness and selfishness. It's probably a combination of those two reasons and many others.

I don't expect Disney to fix this issue though. It's a cash cow for them. And unlike boom boxes, bicycles, rollerblades, etc., I don't feel that strollers fits into the category of what should not be allowed, and to try to limit them in size would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

I have to agree with you. This problem will not be fixed. I just wanted to vent a little on this subject. I have been going to WDW for years and this trip has been the worst for strollers.

As for the people who commented in this thread, that they are going to use strollers. Almost all of you had young children and should use a stroller, and this is fine. Just take note the next time you go of all the older kids in strollers who can walk fine, making it more difficullt for you.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I always enjoy these stroller threads.

My personal opinion as I have stated a few times is, strollers are terrible. Kids can walk. If your kid is too fat/lazy to walk then leave them home. If they are too little to walk, then get a stroller. The stroller problem stems from people not being willing to give them up as their kids get older. There should be a steady amount of strollers year over year. As some kids get older and leave the strollers behind more young children need them. But now, the older kids are not giving them up. Instead of kids needing strollers till they are 4, they are staying in them till 8, effectively doubling the amount of strollers in the parks.

And yes, the vast seas of strollers do negatively impact many guests experiences.

Evil Genius

Krack's Disney Stroller/ECV fix:

1. No motorized transportation.

Disney can't do this due to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

They can state what sort of transportation is permissable...i.e. no personal Segues, but they cannot stop the use of ECV's altogether.

Mickey is King

Yup, in this day and age, kids are as lazy as ever.

I have to blame cable and video games.

While true, there has to be boundries with childeren.

Really, parents are to blame for the laziness of our childeren.
And the society we have created for ourselves in this country (U.S.A.). - On demand, we wanted it yesterday, and oh yea, it has to be easy or we won't do it. :veryconfu

I am not against strollers. I'm not even complaining about getting bumped into by a stroller. I think it's unfair to so many people put a perfectly healthy child who is too big for a stroller into one. Again, as I wrote before, I saw a girl, approaching five feet tall, slumped in a stroller in the World Showcase at opening. I personally thought it made both her and her father look stupid. She was just plain spoiled. And, it was a rented stroller. It's unfair to the folks that legitimately need to rent a stroller, when one is taken by a junior high school aged kid. It's unfair to those who need to park a stroller near an entrance, for a small or disabled child, and can't get close because unnecessary strollers are taking up that space. If your kid fits into/needs a stroller (Maggie's Mommy, I'm looking at you), then that's understood! No one is telling you that's not OK. It's not OK when needless traffic is caused by people renting them for healthy/not disabled kids over 5 feet tall, and clowns who want them to push around their purses and purchases. I love how these threads turn into a total mess.

Krack

Disney can't do this due to the Americans with Disabilities Act.

They can state what sort of transportation is permissable...i.e. no personal Segues, but they cannot stop the use of ECV's altogether.

They can ban the use of an ECV where the combined weight of the vehicle and the rider exceeds 600 lbs - I bet that would eliminate 95% of the WDW usage.

Dayma

Another stroller post? Really? :brick:

With that being said. Strollers for kids are a must. I think you can argue at what age they don't need them but 6 and under I think it's viable.

Evil Genius

They can ban the use of an ECV where the combined weight of the vehicle and the rider exceeds 600 lbs - I bet that would eliminate 95% of the WDW usage.

No they can't as it would be construed as discrimination. You do understand that some people's weight issues aren't just because they're over eaters don't you?

I'm just finding some folks in this whole stroller/ECV debate to be embarrassingly judgemental.

graphite1326

Original Poster
Another stroller post? Really? :brick:

With that being said. Strollers for kids are a must. I think you can argue at what age they don't need them but 6 and under I think it's viable.

I really wish people would read the posts before they add a comment here. That is what I said in the very beginning. The complaint was that older kids were still using strollers. 7,8,9 & even 10 year old kids.

cdunbar

Would you like Disney to get hit with a discrimination suit? I know I wouldn't. I think you need to think before you post things like that, because people sometimes have weight issues that are not due to over eating, but instead do to thyroid issues or other medical conditions like polio or physical handicaps which keep them from doing light exercise that keep most people fit.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
No they can't as it would be construed as discrimination. You do understand that some people's weight issues aren't just because they're over eaters don't you?

I'm just finding some folks in this whole stroller/ECV debate to be embarrassingly judgemental.

Well, considering the source here can be often beneficial......

Krack

Would you like Disney to get hit with a discrimination suit? I know I wouldn't. I think you need to think before you post things like that, because people sometimes have weight issues that are not due to over eating, but instead do to thyroid issues or other medical conditions like polio or physical handicaps which keep them from doing light exercise that keep most people fit.

The Americans with Disabilities Act explicitly states that business have to provide access to "common wheelchairs". It defines a common wheelchair to be "a mobility aid belonging to any class of three or four-wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed for and used by individuals with mobility impairments, whether operated manually or powered. A "common wheelchair" does not exceed 30 inches in width and 48 inches in length measured two inches above the ground, and does not weigh more than 600 pounds when occupied."

In other words, Disney can block a 310 lbs person from bringing their 300 lbs ECV into the parks and provide them with a regular (lighterweight, non-motorized) wheelchair instead.

Evil Genius

The Americans with Disabilities Act explicitly states that business have to provide access to "common wheelchairs". It defines a common wheelchair to be "a mobility aid belonging to any class of three or four-wheeled devices, usable indoors, designed for and used by individuals with mobility impairments, whether operated manually or powered. A "common wheelchair" does not exceed 30 inches in width and 48 inches in length measured two inches above the ground, and does not weigh more than 600 pounds when occupied."

In other words, Disney can block a 310 lbs person from bringing their 300 lbs ECV into the parks and provide them with a regular (lighterweight, non-motorized) wheelchair instead.

Is this issue really worth this sort of heartache? I mean seriously if all it takes are strollers and ECVs to get you this riled up then I think we may be looking at some deeper seeded issues.

No matter how you interpret the act the fact remains that Disney would be opening themselves up to so many lawsuits it wouldn't be funny! The one thing I think Disney does better than perhaps any other business is accomodate guests with special needs be them mobility, dietary or anything else. I think they should be praised for it.

cdunbar

Is this issue really worth this sort of heartache? I mean seriously if all it takes are strollers and ECVs to get you this riled up then I think we may be looking at some deeper seeded issues.

No matter how you interpret the act the fact remains that Disney would be opening themselves up to so many lawsuits it wouldn't be funny! The one thing I think Disney does better than perhaps any other business is accomodate guests with special needs be them mobility, dietary or anything else. I think they should be praised for it.
Agreed 100,000%

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

But haven't you forgotten the motto so prevalent around here: "It's all TDO's fault!" :hammer:

Evil Genius

What's wrong with using a normal wheelchair?

What if you're touring on your own and don't have someone that can assist you on a traditional wheelchair? Or those that are with you are unable to assist?

I'm not saying there isn't abuse, however this is a situation where if Disney were to start being more discriminate it would create a very slippery slope.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom