I have a bone to pick with a MVMCP "rule"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kelsybelle

So I just got in this morning from WDW (Sigh) Everything was great. ZERO crowd, great weather, good service all around - you name it. quote]

Glad you had a great trip...sounds like it was perfect!:)

As far as not having used the restroom before the non party guests had to be out of the park, well, lesson learned and a good thing for all of us to know because I wouldn't have given it another thought myself.
Sounds to me like you just encountered a cast member that was following the rules to a T and the rules were that the park was to be emptied of non party guests and that's that. With that being said, I think it would have been nice for you to be directed to one that you could have used.:)

Main Street USA

Obviosuly the OP had no intention of trying to cheat the system and was just enjoying herself at DW. The problem is the same one as always in public places-there have been other people who have tried to cheat the system and CM's have no way of reading minds and knowing which people are cheaters and which ones aren't. The few always ruin things for the many.
Bingo. Guess I should've read this page before posting myself!

Wilt Dasney

If I was in my local Pub that closes at 1:00 AM, and I lingered around until 1:15 AM and THEN asked if I could relieve myself, I'm sure they would laugh at me, throw me out and tell me to ______ in the parking lot. :lol:
Credit for sticking to your guns, but it really seems like apples and oranges.

If you're in a bar 15 minutes after closing, it's because you haven't gotten up and walked the 10 feet to the door. A theme park (especially one that allows people to enter ride queues right up to closing time) is a different animal entirely. It's entirely feasible to be inside the gates 15 minutes after closing with no "lingering" involved.

Beyond that distinction, though, is this one: How many of us expect Disney to set its level of customer service at the 'bare minimum' level that you'd expect from a surly barkeeper? If you're gonna claim to be the world's A-1 leader in customer satisfaction, then act like it and let a paying customer take a leak on his way out.

Timekeeper

If you're gonna claim to be the world's A-1 leader in customer satisfaction, then act like it and let a paying customer take a leak on his way out.

...preferably inside a restroom ... unlike Michael Eisner, who was known for "taking a leak" all over the Disney company :lookaroun

Hrudey3032

Credit for sticking to your guns, but it really seems like apples and oranges.

If you're in a bar 15 minutes after closing, it's because you haven't gotten up and walked the 10 feet to the door. A theme park (especially one that allows people to enter ride queues right up to closing time) is a different animal entirely. It's entirely feasible to be inside the gates 15 minutes after closing with no "lingering" involved.

Beyond that distinction, though, is this one: How many of us expect Disney to set its level of customer service at the 'bare minimum' level that you'd expect from a surly barkeeper? If you're gonna claim to be the world's A-1 leader in customer satisfaction, then act like it and let a paying customer take a leak on his way out.

Think about this.Epcot states it closes at 9P.M. yet that is when Illuminations begins.Also the walk from say China to the front of Epcot can take almost 30 minutes as it is a heck of walk. I agree people cheat the system but this is a bathroom were talking about.Had the CM allowed them to go one at a time this too may have kept the "possibility" of hiding from happening.

Scooter I have never been at a bar/restaraunt/shopping plaza that closes at the exact minute listed as long as someone is inside.If someone is purchasing a product they sure as heck wont turn them away.they would say finish up and then have a good evening.Like someone else said why if the park closes at 7 do the shops remain open? Because Disney wants every last penny they can get from you.

painter26

Not really my "two cents" but I read Jack's (from allears.net) review of this years MVMCP and below is a quoted paragraph.

"When I arrived at Main Street, I was amazed at how many people were lining the street waiting for the 8:15 parade. The Hub was also packed with people. This didn’t seem right to me. These special event parties usually aren’t this busy. I started looking for wristbands and found that many of these people did not have one. I suspect that a lot of these guests stake out a spot on the parade route at 7pm, rather than leave the park as they are supposed to. Once someone is sitting on the curb, I imagine it would be difficult for Disney to evict these guests. I struggled through the crowd and found a place in front of the castle for the show."

I'm not saying the OP planned on doing this, just that it seems like a lot do, according to Jack.

Todd L

It seems to me that the Cm's are dealing with alot of extra stress during these after hours partys and It sounds like this one was doing her job.

Im sure that 90% of the people who would ask to use a restroom on the way out would use the restroom and be on their way.

As always its the 10% that screw it up for the rest of us. You know the people who feel like they should be able to manipulate the rules and bend them until they get what they want.

What about the people who paid the extra money and play by the rules? I paid for 7 people to go to MVMCP and will not be too happy if I cant get a decent spot to watch the parade because non-paying party goers are taking up all the good seats. :xmas:

kimmychad

It seems to me that the Cm's are dealing with alot of extra stress during these after hours partys and It sounds like this one was doing her job.

Im sure that 90% of the people who would ask to use a restroom on the way out would use the restroom and be on their way.

As always its the 10% that screw it up for the rest of us. You know the people who feel like they should be able to manipulate the rules and bend them until they get what they want.

What about the people who paid the extra money and play by the rules? I paid for 7 people to go to MVMCP and will not be too happy if I cant get a decent spot to watch the parade because non-paying party goers are taking up all the good seats. :xmas:

and what about the party guests that are allowed in 3 hours before the party starts. as a day guest I don't appreciate the party people making my lines for the rides longer.

In effect statewide in Florida:

2000 INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE

403.6 Customer facilities. Customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities in structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization. Public toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with public toilet facilities and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 500 feet (152 m).

Unless the CM was directing you to an alternate within the 500 feet WDW is probably guilty of a misdemeanor.

Not unless your being on the private property herein justified trespassing because your allotted time in the park was up.

ArielLover

In effect statewide in Florida:

2000 INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE

403.6 Customer facilities. Customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities in structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization. Public toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with public toilet facilities and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 500 feet (152 m).

Unless the CM was directing you to an alternate within the 500 feet WDW is probably guilty of a misdemeanor.

If we are going to take a legal angle, I would argue that at closing time the park ceased to be a "public" space and therefore not covered under this code.

Wilt Dasney

Not really my "two cents" but I read Jack's (from allears.net) review of this years MVMCP and below is a quoted paragraph.

"When I arrived at Main Street, I was amazed at how many people were lining the street waiting for the 8:15 parade. The Hub was also packed with people. This didn’t seem right to me. These special event parties usually aren’t this busy. I started looking for wristbands and found that many of these people did not have one. I suspect that a lot of these guests stake out a spot on the parade route at 7pm, rather than leave the park as they are supposed to. Once someone is sitting on the curb, I imagine it would be difficult for Disney to evict these guests. I struggled through the crowd and found a place in front of the castle for the show."

I'm not saying the OP planned on doing this, just that it seems like a lot do, according to Jack.

This sounds like another good argument for closing the park to all guests an hour before the party, then letting in partygoers once the park is cleared. It sounds like the current system isn't all that favorable to day guests or partygoers.

Of course, it saves Disney from having to pay for an extra hour of labor, so at least somebody's getting something out of the deal.

Timekeeper

If we are going to take a legal angle, I would argue that at closing time the park ceased to be a "public" space and therefore not covered under this code.

So, the park "ceased to be a public space" for one individual but remained a "public space" for the thousands of other individuals? :ROFLOL:

Generally:

A lawful owner or occupant of premises, or one claiming title and rightfully in possession, may retain possession and use such force as may be reasonably necessary to prevent an unlawful entry, or to remove trespassers or intruders, where, according to some authority, such persons have been given, and have refused, a request or notice to leave. The same rule applies as to persons, originally lawfully on the premises, as by license or permission, who refuse to leave on request,and are given a reasonable time in which to do so.

Generally, in order to justify the use of force in ejecting a trespasser from defendant's premises, it should be shown that the defendant first requested the trespasser to depart and that the trespasser refused after being allowed a reasonable time to do so, as in the case of one originally on the premises by permission or license.

Tk

Bug715

Scooter I have never been at a bar/restaraunt/shopping plaza that closes at the exact minute listed as long as someone is inside.If someone is purchasing a product they sure as heck wont turn them away.they would say finish up and then have a good evening.Like someone else said why if the park closes at 7 do the shops remain open? Because Disney wants every last penny they can get from you.

Only the Main Street Shops stay open when MK closes on normal night and that is only for an hour later. Once the park has been "closed" for an hour the doors are shut and no more guests are let in.

This sounds like another good argument for closing the park to all guests an hour before the party, then letting in partygoers once the park is cleared. It sounds like the current system isn't all that favorable to day guests or partygoers.

Of course, it saves Disney from having to pay for an extra hour of labor, so at least somebody's getting something out of the deal.

Last year I was talking to a manager about how much work it took to look for wristbands and he said that the previous system of kicking everyone out then letting party people back in was a mess and way harder. How happy do you think guests would be that were at MK all day to be kicked out for an hour to hang out to be let back in for the party? I can't imagine the zoo out front of families trying to entertain the kids while the park is cleared out.

For those of you worried about getting a good spot for the parade because of the day guests who just stick around. Find a nearby cast member and they will ask them to leave. I have seen security called for guests who wouldn't leave.

Wilt Dasney

Last year I was talking to a manager about how much work it took to look for wristbands and he said that the previous system of kicking everyone out then letting party people back in was a mess and way harder. How happy do you think guests would be that were at MK all day to be kicked out for an hour to hang out to be let back in for the party? I can't imagine the zoo out front of families trying to entertain the kids while the park is cleared out.

A friend of mine just pointed all that out to me after my last post, and said she wouldn't even bother paying for the party if it worked that way...so I guess there's no perfect solution here. :shrug:

I'm still skeptical that people hiding out in bathrooms is such a big issue that they need potty bouncers, though. If somebody's hiding in a bathroom, they're not trying to sneak on rides or watch the parade. Once they come out, it seems like that would be the time for CM's and security to make sure they find their way to the front gate.

PeoplemoverTTA

How happy do you think guests would be that were at MK all day to be kicked out for an hour to hang out to be let back in for the party? I can't imagine the zoo out front of families trying to entertain the kids while the park is cleared out.

When went to MVMCP in 2004, guests going to the party were "held" in Tomorrowland while non-MVMCP guests exited. We were able to shop, visit attractions, and eat in TL during this time. CMs were checking wristbands very carefully. No one had to leave the park and come back.

I'm trying to remember how everyone knew to go to TL. I think they may have told us when they gave us our wristbands. There were CMs everywhere around 6 or so to let people know as well.

This worked out great, IMO, and I wish they would do it again. Being "stuck" in TL for awhile heightened the anticipation, yet we felt special because everyone else had to leave while we were having fun in TL and getting ready for the party. Literally, as we exited TL and went to Main Street, the park was empty, and it was "snowing" (if I recall, all the "good" effects didn't go on until 7)...very magical :).

Todd L

and what about the party guests that are allowed in 3 hours before the party starts. as a day guest I don't appreciate the party people making my lines for the rides longer.
Good point. So whats the answer then? Keep all the party guest in a roped off area within the Park and get everyone else out? What is the best thing to do? I mean it very clearly states that as part of the Mvmcp I have the right to enter the park 3 hours early. What about Mk day guest? Is it not clear to them that the park will close at 7 for the Party? I really dont know.

marypoppins68

I was a day guest at the MK this past Friday and they were having a party that night. There were signs at the TTC saying the MK would close promptly at 7pm. More signs again as we walked towards the entrance, and then I know there were at least 2 announcements made over the PA system that the MK would close promptly at 7pm. We arrived a little after 5pm just to see the castle lighting ceremony and we were definitely aware the park would close at 7pm.

WDW1974

I have tried to stay away from this thread, but the ... the ... 'what am I missing? do these people have a clue?!' vibe was just too tempting.

Let me set the record straight for those who will apparently justify Disney doing anything.

The CM was very, very wrong. Even if that 'decision' came down from management.

You don't tell a guest they can't use a bathroom whether the park is closed or not. You certainly don't tell a guest that when they're at said restroom and it is an open, functioning facility available to select park guests.

I have read a lot of crazy responses on Disney fan boards in my days, but anyone who wouldn't get why this is sooo wrong really scares me.

The fact is it goes against everything Disney is known for in customer service, not to mention just plain common sense.

Now ... if it had been me, I'd have marched over, under or through the CM to get into the restroom and then I would have gone to City Hall and made a very big complaint (and despite what some folks here might think, that almost never happens). You just don't tell someone, a paying guest, that it's time for you to leave. If you had spent an extra $55 you'd be welcome to urinate, defecate or go pick your nose in the restroom, but since you didn't you'll have to hold it until you exit the park.

Anyone who believes otherwise really needs a healthy reality check.

I have no doubt Disney is getting people sticking around (and yes, even hiding in the crapper as people are pathetic) in order to get to see a Christmas Parade that Disney holds hostage for the masses until Dec. 23rd or holiday fireworks that they do likewise (stuff that is FREE for all guests at DL with paid admission starting this week and USED to be likewise at the MK).

But that's not an acceptable excuse to tell people they can't use a restroom. Frankly, the only acceptable excuse is the facility is either unsafe or closed. Otherwise, you need it, you use it.

If Disney were so concerned about stragglers getting a 'free' glimpse of the Christmas entertainment that used to be free to all, perhaps Disney should go back to what it used to do. Instead of allowing party guests into the park as early as (is it 4 p.m. now?) late afternoon, they could simply do a labor intensive hard close at 6 and reopen at 7 or 7:30 for party guests.

That also would be a better show experience for day guests who can be made to feel 'less than' especially by their kids if they can't afford or won't pay for the extra hour 'party'. Nothing like being forced out like cattle while party-goers are entering and the PA is blasting announcements that tickets can still be purchased.

It's not very magical.

It's not very Disney.

It is very WDW management of the 21st century, however.

Now excuse me ... I need to use the restroom ... outta my way Mouse!!!!!

disney4life2008

I have tried to stay away from this thread, but the ... the ... 'what am I missing? do these people have a clue?!' vibe was just too tempting.

Let me set the record straight for those who will apparently justify Disney doing anything.

The CM was very, very wrong. Even if that 'decision' came down from management.

You don't tell a guest they can't use a bathroom whether the park is closed or not. You certainly don't tell a guest that when they're at said restroom and it is an open, functioning facility available to select park guests.

I have read a lot of crazy responses on Disney fan boards in my days, but anyone who wouldn't get why this is sooo wrong really scares me.

The fact is it goes against everything Disney is known for in customer service, not to mention just plain common sense.

Now ... if it had been me, I'd have marched over, under or through the CM to get into the restroom and then I would have gone to City Hall and made a very big complaint (and despite what some folks here might think, that almost never happens). You just don't tell someone, a paying guest, that it's time for you to leave. If you had spent an extra $55 you'd be welcome to urinate, defecate or go pick your nose in the restroom, but since you didn't you'll have to hold it until you exit the park.

Anyone who believes otherwise really needs a healthy reality check.

I have no doubt Disney is getting people sticking around (and yes, even hiding in the crapper as people are pathetic) in order to get to see a Christmas Parade that Disney holds hostage for the masses until Dec. 23rd or holiday fireworks that they do likewise (stuff that is FREE for all guests at DL with paid admission starting this week and USED to be likewise at the MK).

But that's not an acceptable excuse to tell people they can't use a restroom. Frankly, the only acceptable excuse is the facility is either unsafe or closed. Otherwise, you need it, you use it.

If Disney were so concerned about stragglers getting a 'free' glimpse of the Christmas entertainment that used to be free to all, perhaps Disney should go back to what it used to do. Instead of allowing party guests into the park as early as (is it 4 p.m. now?) late afternoon, they could simply do a labor intensive hard close at 6 and reopen at 7 or 7:30 for party guests.

That also would be a better show experience for day guests who can be made to feel 'less than' especially by their kids if they can't afford or won't pay for the extra hour 'party'. Nothing like being forced out like cattle while party-goers are entering and the PA is blasting announcements that tickets can still be purchased.

It's not very magical.

It's not very Disney.

It is very WDW management of the 21st century, however.

Now excuse me ... I need to use the restroom ... outta my way Mouse!!!!!

I completely agree with you!!! The fact that party guests can enter at 4pm (they can take up 3 hours of regular visitors time by making the lines longer at shops, rides and eateries. The thought of not being able to use the bathroom is downright shameful. I understand they block off the lands after a certain time but the bathrooms are a PUBLIC FACILITY. However, many people on here seem to argue that Disney is a privately ran place but not being allowed to use the restroom is ridiculous. Who knows if it would have been a major restroom use (you know what I mean), that would be very embaressing to a Disney guest. A lawsuit could claim humiliation and deny of use of public facilities. If a woman could sue McDonalds for millions of dollars for hot cofffe this lawsuit would be acceptable. You should have went to City Hall and complained or you should still write a letter to Disney headquarters. You spent your money to get into the park and you should be allowed to utilize the parks resources (especially the rest room)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom