I have a bone to pick with a MVMCP "rule"

Status
Not open for further replies.

EPCOT Explorer

In effect statewide in Florida:

2000 INTERNATIONAL PLUMBING CODE

403.6 Customer facilities. Customers, patrons and visitors shall be provided with public toilet facilities in structures and tenant spaces intended for public utilization. Public toilet facilities shall be located not more than one story above or below the space required to be provided with public toilet facilities and the path of travel to such facilities shall not exceed a distance of 500 feet (152 m).

Unless the CM was directing you to an alternate within the 500 feet WDW is probably guilty of a misdemeanor.
:ROFLOL::sohappy:

WIN.

The point I made earlier was that they both tried to use the restrooms not just one of them. Makes it look like they would both try to hide and stay. They had enough time to ride Space Mountain but did not feel the need to go before but then both of them did. The CM was trying to do their job!!
Yeah, and he can still do it with courtesy and allowing people to have bodily functions.

Scooter

Remember, we're only hearing one side of the story.
This whole story seems kind of fishy to me.
I wish we could hear the Castmembers version of this whole scenerio.

jeffk410

haha

You were fully aware of the park hours and trying to take advantage of them.
When the park closes or switches to MVMCP Christmas hours, you should be out of the park. I don't see the problem here.
I'm sorry if castmembers didn't want you to use the bathrooms. It's their jobs to get you out of the park if you don't belong there.

People try to get away with a lot at Disney World. Not a day goes by where people don't pool hop or use Disney Transportation when they're not supposed to.

You abused the system and you got caught.
Are we, the ones who pay a hefty price for MVMCP and/or othere special Disney Events supposed to feel sorry for you?
Sorry..I don't think so

hmm this is kind of funny how you are being rude on a wdw board? if it were a ride i agree, but a bathroom? how come it is ok to stay in and shop then? try being a little nicer next time. I do see your point ,but the thread starter also has a point its a bathroom. No need to take it personally and freak out =[

the-reason14

The point I made earlier was that they both tried to use the restrooms not just one of them. Makes it look like they would both try to hide and stay. They had enough time to ride Space Mountain but did not feel the need to go before but then both of them did. The CM was trying to do their job!!

Ok, but even if they did, dont they have wristbands that they would need in order to stay? If so, then how would hiding do anything? They wouldve been in the park all that time and been denied for every ride or attraction they would have tried to enter.

Timekeeper

You should have relieved yourself right then and there...

...and then proceeded to guest relations to demand replacement clothing. :brick:

Who knows what the specific "rule" is, but we all know that rules are open to interpretation. We have people who argue the interpretation of a rule (law) all the way up to the Supreme Court, where two parties can express opposing views - and both be right. The "rule" is obviously not to clear the park of guests immediately at a particular time - because there are guests who are still waiting in attraction queues which may have wait times that hold guests in the park beyond specific times. If you get into the Space Mountain queue at 9:55 pm, and the park closes at 10:00 pm, I bet you (and every other guest) would be shocked if the ride vehicles stopped moving at 10:00 pm and everyone was asked to leave the building. Also, some guests physically take longer to move from point A to point B than others, such as elderly, small children, strollers, wheelchairs, etc. The point is, the rule is "flexible" and probably seeks to control guest flow as efficiently as possible; it is not a matter of snapping one's fingers and everyone vanishes. IF the rule does say something like "as soon as possible," a reasonable person would likely conclude that using the restroom does not contradict the policy. CMs must use their personal discretion the carrying out a rule or policy, which is why it can sometimes become an issue, but it's *personal.*

Consider this: If an individual entered the bathroom at 9:55 pm, and had a "situation" that required that individual to remain in the bathroom for 15 minutes (if you have ever eaten at Taco Bell, you will be able to relate to this hypothetical), and if the park closed at 10:00 pm, I highly doubt that a security CM would enter the bathroom and remove that individual from the toilet ...and if they did, the custodial CMs would likely not appreciate the resulting mess.

Rules are aspirational, as is good guest service. Each CM is left with their own style of execution. Casting is able to weed out most of the bad apples, but it is impossible to weed out all of the bad apples. CMs are, after all, human, just like you and me. And we've all had that long day at work. That's not an excuse for what you experienced, but it may help put it in perspective. The CM was probably not thinking about whether you would try to clime out the air conditioning ducts in the restroom and attempt to ride another attraction; as it is the job of the attraction greeter CM to filter out non-participating guests.

CMs, no matter how well intentioned, will vary in their execution of their job. You were probably more shocked because this is one of those "rules" that guests are generally not aware of - unlike other attraction guidelines that guests are put on ample notice of. You were exposed to this "policy" for the first time by the CM, and the CM should have been more sensitive to that.

You were frustrated because what you experienced was simply not "Disney-like," regardless of the CMs (presumably) good intentions to do their job. If Walt were standing there, my guess is that you would have been allowed to use the restroom.

The irony is that you probably would have been permitted to peruse the shopping facilities - and spend all of your cash - on Main Street for a good hour after closing time. Unfortunately, WDW doesn't make money every time you flush ...but if I know WDW, they're probably working on that.:lookaroun

Tk

Scooter

hmm this is kind of funny how you are being rude on a wdw board? if it were a ride i agree, but a bathroom? how come it is ok to stay in and shop then? try being a little nicer next time. I do see your point ,but the thread starter also has a point its a bathroom. No need to take it personally and freak out =[

I don't think I was rude.
Brutally honest, yes. A tad abrasive, maybe, but not rude.

Perhaps the OP should taken his complaint to Disney instead of a Dicussion board.
Thats the beauty of discussion boards, not everyone agrees with other peoples statements or thoughts.

Like someone eelse said, if you know what time the park closes, you should have gone to the bathroom and been out the turnstiles at closing time.
It's not rocket science. If the park closes at 7:00PM, then people should be out by 7:00PM

If I was in my local Pub that closes at 1:00 AM, and I lingered around until 1:15 AM and THEN asked if I could relieve myself, I'm sure they would laugh at me, throw me out and tell me to ______ in the parking lot. :lol:

NEmickeyfan

It seems to me that this whole thing has been totally blown out of proportion. I am guessing the CM was following directions by her managers. If she was rude, then that is another matter. But, it sounds as if he/she said the OP and companions would have to use another restroom on there way out. If it is an bathroom emergency, the guest can say so and I would like to believe an exception would be made.

It only makes sense to me that the plan is to get non-bracelet wearing guests to start moving to the front of the park so that they can then exit. I have no doubt in my mind that the OP was not being picked on, but it was a consequence caused by those who try to hide out in restrooms and outer regions of the park so they won't have to leave. To me, it's such a non-issue....no one was being punished or picked on. The CM was doing their job and those who needed a restroom were directed to one they could use on their way out.

Also, when I do pay amost 60 bucks to get into a ticketed event that is supposedly limited to a certain number of people, I do expect it to be just that. That is why I am paying the big bucks to be there. It is not a prvilege, it is just getting what you pay for. Those who want to spend the entire day at MK should plan to do so on non-event days. The calander on Disney.com can tell you exactly which days the events are scheduled.

Timekeeper

Like someone else said, if you know what time the park closes, you should have gone to the bathroom and been out the turnstiles at closing time.
It's not rocket science. If the park closes at 7:00PM, then people should be out by 7:00PM

Queue wait times are impossible to predict, with the apparent exception of the Tower of Terror, whose wait time is frequently posted down to the exact minute, 13. In order for guests to be "out by 7:00PM," WDW would have to:

(1) know exactly how long the wait time is,
(2) if the wait time is 37 minutes, then close the queue no later than 6:23PM,
(3) take into consideration the duration of the attraction,
(4) hope that the attraction does not experience any mechanical difficulties or other delays,
(5) predict how much time the guest will spend in the post-show gift shop,
(6) predict which guests will choose to purchase the on-ride photo,
(7) take into consideration the distance between the attraction and the turnstiles,
(8) and predict the speed at which the slowest guest leaving the attraction will walk.

If this sounds impossible, that's because it is. And that is why CMs are left to using their own discretion; because there is simply no way to take all of these factors into account. This is also why - at every theme park I have ever visited - it is the queue entrances that "close" at "closing time," and not the stretch of concrete pavement between the attraction and the turnstiles.

If guest flow was as cut-and-dry as you suggest, WDW could shut off the park lights at EPCOT at 9:00PM because the park closes at 9:00PM. There is a reason for why they don't.

EPCOT Explorer

Remember, we're only hearing one side of the story.
This whole story seems kind of fishy to me.
I wish we could hear the Castmembers version of this whole scenerio.
I really don't think that the OP would be complaining if their "plot" to get in failed:veryconfu:rolleyes:

The OP had a question complaint. I really think that is all.

scheat

Obviosuly the OP had no intention of trying to cheat the system and was just enjoying herself at DW. The problem is the same one as always in public places-there have been other people who have tried to cheat the system and CM's have no way of reading minds and knowing which people are cheaters and which ones aren't. The few always ruin things for the many.

lbrad

So I just got in this morning from WDW (Sigh) Everything was great. ZERO crowd, great weather, good service all around - you name it. EXCEPT for one thing which REALLY agitated me. Now, I'm not one to get upset over small, foolish issues. Not the type at all to stomp my feet when things don't go my way, but I couldn't help but get upset when me and my girlfriend were denied use of the restrooms last night on our way out of MK.

We were finishing up our day at the park and were trying to squeeze in as many attractions as possible before MVMCP got underway. We did not have tickets to the event, but were aware of MK's regular hours and of the fact that they would seal off the attractions from us regular folks, which is all well and good. No issue with that whatsoever. We were able to jump from the Haunted Mansion over to Space Mountain before the event got underway to end our night on a high note, but once we exited SM and attempted to use the restrooms near-by we were stopped.

"Do you have a wristband?"

Huh?! We need wristbands to in order to use the restrooms? Seriously? Are you kidding me?!

Neither one of us gave the woman an attitude, but we did tell her how ridiculous it was that we were being prompted for a wristband...unless, of course, the restrooms were filled with snow. :lookaroun All she could muster up was that the normal park hours had ended (by a mere 10-15 mins) and sent us off with a half-hearted "Have a nice night" Ugh.

Like I said, I'm on board with Disney reserving the attractions for an event for those who paid the extra dollars, but the restrooms? Come on. Would they deny a parent with a small child? How about an elderly man or woman? I was just baffled and extremely annoyed by the whole thing.

That's just not right...when you gotta go you've gotta go...potty that is!

happymom52003

I'm not taking sides here (in my opinion there is not enough info about the situation to judge the actions of the OP or the CM). I can actually see both sides.

But just to play devil's advocate (and this is not directed at the OP because I have no idea if he had an emergency)...If a CM is given the job to clear out a section of the park, what is so wrong with them directing guests to another bathroom? If it is not an emergency, why would it be a big deal to go to another bathroom? I'm sure the bathroom they were directing guests to was on the way out....one that guests would be passing by anyway.

Now on the other side, if it was an emergency and the guest felt like they could not make it to the other bathroom, then I would expect the CM to go ahead and let them use the one near by. If a guest was turned away from a restroom in that particular situation, then I could see that getting upset would be justified.

I know that if one of my kids had to go really bad, a CM would not be able to stop me! I'd much rather disobey a CM telling me I can't use a restroom because I don't have party tickets then deal with wet pants on the way back to the resort. But if I just wanted to make sure we went to the bathroom before being stuck in a long line for the buses, I'd have no problem going to the restroom I was directed to.

Timekeeper

... If it is not an emergency, why would it be a big deal to go to another bathroom? ... Now on the other side, if it was an emergency and the guest felt like they could not make it to the other bathroom, then I would expect the CM to go ahead and let them use the one near by.

That's exactly the problem. An analysis that differentiates between what is and is not an "emergency" is entering into muddy waters. Consider, for example, that company employees are trained to avoid asking a person with a disability and a service dog as to what their disability is. There is an appropriate presumption that is afforded to that individual.

Similarly, a CM should not engage in a discussion with a guest as to the extent of "how badly" a person has to use the restroom. There is a presumption that when an individual approaches a restroom, it is because they need to use it at that time, and not 10 minutes later. Whether it is to wash our hands of the countless germs left behind on the Spaceranger Spin laser guns, or because that emu leg from 35 minutes ago disagrees with our stomach, we usually do not walk into a restroom for no reason at all.

That presumption exists as a part of our culture, which is why - when another individual interferes with our personal need - we are turned off by that interference, or at least surprised by it, just as the OP was surprised to learn that his human need would have to wait, despite the available resource directly in front of him.

Raven66

We have an ADR at LTT at 7:40pm the night of a MVMCP. How will that work? And we don't have tickets to the event.

Bug715

We have an ADR at LTT at 7:40pm the night of a MVMCP. How will that work? And we don't have tickets to the event.

You should move it earlier or to another day. I don't think they will allow you in even if you mannage to stay in the park that late without a ticket.

SeaBreeze

I would call dining and ask them exactly that. I think you'll probably have to move it up to an earlier time or day. Someone on here might know for sure but in a case like this, it's usually best to go straight to the source.

kimmychad

the cm that made your adr should have advised you of a party that night and asked if you had tickets. but unfortunately, I doubt you'll be allowed to eat that late on a party date.

Raven66

She asked if we had tickets and I said no and then she asked if we wanted tickets and I said no thank you and she still set it up. Unfortunately, at the time that was the only day and time of our stay that was open. I guess I will give them a call and see what's what. Thanks everyone for the replies.

Main Street USA

OP,

Unfortunately, what the CM did was a direct result of people abusing the system and trying to hang out in the park to watch fireworks and the parade.

I don't think you were abusing the system at all, but because of the people that do, they have to draw the line somewhere. I guess that line is in front of the bathrooms, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom