Hyperion Wharf Begins

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
They can be seen at the SPI blog from a couple weeks ago. You might have to 'scroll back' to an earlier update on PI.
Have yet to see a picture with any kind of erosion barrier. How about you take a gander and point out what you are looking at.

jt04

Original Poster
Have yet to see a picture with any kind of erosion barrier. How about you take a gander and point out what you are looking at.

Must I? :lol:

That is a daunting task but I will try to find time later. Basically they put in a new "road" and staked that heavy duty black plastic barrier stuff along both sides. Then buried the bottoms of the barrier to prevent run-off. It is regularly seen on sites where erosion is a concern.

Gotta go :wave:

Lee

Adventurer

That is a daunting task but I will try to find time later. Basically they put in a new "road" and staked that heavy duty black plastic barrier stuff along both sides. Then buried the bottoms of the barrier to prevent run-off. It is regularly seen on sites where erosion is a concern.

As much as I hate to do jt's work for him....
IMG_8192.JPG

It's not a road, by the way. It's a pathway that for some strange reason cuts directly through the area where the amphitheatre was supposed to go. So much for that, huh?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

IMG_8192.JPG

It's not a road, by the way. It's a pathway that for some strange reason cuts directly through the area where the amphitheatre was supposed to go. So much for that, huh?

Well that is the reason I could not find an "expensive temporary erosion barrier" that you described. Those are neither erosion barriers or expensive. Those are called silt curtains and all they are designed do is prevent debris from a construction site from washing into the water or an adjacent site. They are required by code around any construction site. They cost around 2-4 cents per linear foot.

Thanks for the picture Lee.

WDWFREAK53

Well that is the reason I could not find an "expensive temporary erosion barrier" that you described. Those are neither erosion barriers or expensive. Those are called silt curtains and all they are designed do is prevent debris from a construction site from washing into the water or an adjacent site. They are required by code around any construction site. They cost around 2-4 cents per linear foot.

Yep, they put those silt curtains in when they dropped the new loam for my backyard to protect the wetlands. They didn't charge us for them. It's just like MY said...runoff from rain will erode the new loam so those curtains "catch it" so it doesn't disturb the protected area.

By "expensive temporary erosion barrier" I was expecting to see a rock wall or a wall of railroad ties.

lazyboy97o

Good to hear. I pointed out a couple times in this thread that the seed is likely mandated by environmental regulations because the area is so close to a natural body of water and erosion would be seen as a problem. I think this was confirmed because they have since created a dirt path for vehicles and they installed expensive temporary erosion barriers on each side of the new path. There is no way they were likely to complete a removal project one day and start construction the next. The removal crews had to have time to leave the area and the construction company will need to stage all of their equipment. All in an area still open for business with heavy vehicle and pedestrian traffic. It is also likely that companies like HD requested they be able too complete their move before the heavy construction starts.

I believe some of the doom and gloom people know this very well, but they will do anything to stir the pot and create the illusion of something that isn't. Some bitterness remains over PI's demise.

Hyperion Wharf is on the way. :)
Or we just know that this idea of the grass being temporary is utter bullocks. The buildings were not structurally unsound and any new construction would start immediately, not after some regulatory grass was planted and allowed to sit for some time. Its function for erosion control would also have been specified on the plans.

Buried20KLeague

I keep wondering though if management realized what an amazing piece of land that they have on their hands now that the clubs are gone and they have decided to invest a bit more in the area and some reimagineering is happening.

:rolleyes:

I recall back when the SM refurb began and word started to spread about the budget being cut, you surmised that it was most likely because money was being moved from the SM project to the upcoming FL project, and you were perfectly happy with it. On the contrary, not only was money apparently not moved from one project to the other, but the FL budget has already been slashed too. (This is an example of one of the many things you've been wrong about.)

What, in TDO's history of the past, say, 5 years... Makes you think that they might have actually gone back to the plans for HW and said "You know what... I just don't think it's enough. This location is just so spectacular that we need to really up the ante here."

Please. Like I said before, you taking the opposite view of common sense is getting tired.

And while I'm mentioning your early high praise of FL (at the cost of other iconic marquee attractions), I might remind you... I said that there was no way the new FL gets built the way it was shown. I was right.

Buried20KLeague

HA! :lol: That's great.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
IMG_8192.JPG

Well, we must sometimes do the work that others are incapable of doing themselves, no? :rolleyes:

menamechris

What, in TDO's history of the past, say, 5 years... Makes you think that they might have actually gone back to the plans for HW and said "You know what... I just don't think it's enough. This location is just so spectacular that we need to really up the ante here."

This is SO sad, but SO true... :cry:

Underwhelming is the word to describe just about anything from the last 5 years.

Buried20KLeague

Well, we must sometimes do the work that others are incapable of doing themselves, no? :rolleyes:

I'd bet it's not that... I'd bet that once he realized that those barriers might not be what he assumed them to be (meaning they didn't support his argument anymore), he "didn't have time" and had to "rush off".

It's getting predictable.

jt04

Original Poster
I'd bet it's not that... I'd bet that once he realized that those barriers might not be what he assumed them to be (meaning they didn't support his argument anymore), he "didn't have time" and had to "rush off".

It's getting predictable.

First someone said they are not erosion barriers but rather barriers to keep the soil from washing away. huh?:ROFLOL:

:rolleyes:

I recall back when the SM refurb began and word started to spread about the budget being cut, you surmised that it was most likely because money was being moved from the SM project to the upcoming FL project, and you were perfectly happy with it. On the contrary, not only was money apparently not moved from one project to the other, but the FL budget has already been slashed too. (This is an example of one of the many things you've been wrong about.)

Please. Like I said before, you taking the opposite view of common sense is getting tired.

And while I'm mentioning your early high praise of FL (at the cost of other iconic marquee attractions), I might remind you... I said that there was no way the new FL gets built the way it was shown. I was right.

Actually you are right in a way but as usual you have "reconfigured" the facts to fit your agenda. And then you stepped on the toes of the Skaggs defenders who have said he did not cut the FLE budget. Facts are stubborn things.

lebeau

Actually you are right in a way but as usual you have "reconfigured" the facts to fit your agenda. And then you stepped on the toes of the Skaggs defenders who have said he did not cut the FLE budget. Facts are stubborn things.

I've never heard anyone claim the FLE budget wasn't cut. :shrug:

Who are you referring to?

Buried20KLeague

So call me out to say I'm wrong... But then don't explain exactly HOW you believe I'm wrong. :confused:

I'm not sure what you're talking about with regard to stepping on anyone's toes.

You certainly never let facts get in the way of your agenda... Why hold others to a higher standard than yourself?

Lee

Adventurer
But jt....

Staggs didn't cut the FLE budget. Not as as head of P&R. That was done on Rasulo's watch, several years ago.
Actually, it wasn't "cut" at all. The project was scaled back before it ever even had an official budget.

Condorman

Why does everyone always blast TDO? Do you honestly believe they have the first and last say on their budget, distribution of revenue and long-term LBV investments? They answer to Burbank like any other division of TWDC.

Also, throw $300 million at DL or DCA and you will see a difference. Throw that much at WDW, and you get FLE -- a modest expansion in just one of four possible parks. TWDC would have to spend upwards of $2 billion: $500 million in each park to make all the necessary adjustments and renovations that everyone expects... and that's never going to happen. If you think they should be spending that kind of money, you don't know the first thing about corporate expectations, structuring or finance. The theme parks represent a fraction of their overall business model. It may be all you folks see, but Iger & Co. have many other obligations. Food for thought.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom