Hyperion Wharf Begins

Krack

From personal experiences I saw the pre and post turnstile safety differences.

Ah yes, those roaming gangs of 14 year old boys texting each other and trying to get 15 year old girls to talk to them. I encounter those safety concerns every time I go to the local mall's food court. It's horrifying.

Irie

I won't address the safety concerns b/c I stopped going to Pleasure Island before the turnstiles were taken away (read: we had children and stopped going). However, the first time my wife and I went to WDW together was 1996. The vacation planning video from that year touted PI as an adult playground. That was the main allure of the area. I know PI was very enjoyable when you did not have packs of kids running around. Anyone under 21 was with an adult and you did not see many due to the age rerstrictions in the clubs. The whole feel of the place had to change once you let non-adults roam freely.

njDizFan

I don't think anyone here is privvy to the P&L statement for the former PI. But something as popular as the Adventurer's club shouldn't have to consistently bring in double digit returns. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. The value the AC added to it's rabid fanbase should have been enough to keep it afloat.

I'm sure TWDC has to "subsidize" some of it's holding in order to give value to it's product name.

In a similar vein I was grocery store manager several years ago, and we added a food bar and a prepared food section which took huge losses in order to get people in to buy the $0.99 can of tomatos that cost us $0.25.

Lee

Adventurer
I used to make many of the same points and more and then I realized I was dealing with a cult and gave up.
Oh, that cult consisting of pretty much everyone but you?
Notice how rarely someone takes your side? It ain't because you're right.

It is amazing and I can't wait to see what they build.
As I keep saying, nothing is being built there. It is going to be nothing but a grassy area. That's better than a club, how?:brick:

I don't think anyone here is privvy to the P&L statement for the former PI. But something as popular as the Adventurer's club shouldn't have to consistently bring in double digit returns. Sometimes you have to give a little to get a lot. The value the AC added to it's rabid fanbase should have been enough to keep it afloat.
It boggles the mind how much guest goodwill they have squandered over this whole thing. I'll never look at the company the same way again.

fyn

Name one thing they did to fix it....
Nope. Pure fiction.

And sir, please refrain from using Walt's name in the same sentence as closing the AC. That is blasphemy. Walt knew Show comes before Efficiency, and that it ain't all about the money.

Closing the AC is pure stupidity, and demonstrated TDO's disgusting slavery to the bottom line at the expense of guest happiness and Disney magic.
Everyone involved should be immediately sacked and reduced to begging for food by the roadside.

It's probably worth noting that this thread keeps conflating the closing of Pleasure Island, and closing down the Adventurer's Club. While they're certainly related, they're not the same thing. I haven't seen anyone claim the AC wasn't worth keeping open, heck I haven't seen anyone claim it was less than a stellar experience. The problem is that, outside of the AC, TDO had every reason to close PI. Attendance during most of the year was in the tank, and as other people mentioned the decision to remove the turnstiles absolutely had a negative impact on the street atmosphere. It just wasn't an appealing place to go anymore, and the AC (and to an extent the Comedy Club) was seen as an oasis from the hoodlums hanging out there.

It really sucks that the AC (as it stood in PI) is the collateral damage here, but the problem was big enough to warrant it. I also wouldn't be surprised to see the AC return in some form (at least, that type of experience) in the next few years.

Lee

Adventurer
It really sucks that the AC (as it stood in PI) is the collateral damage here, but the problem was big enough to warrant it.
I disagree.
Roving bands of armed mutant thugs, intent on robbing and pillaging everything in their path, wouldn't be enough to warrant closing the Club.

The collateral damage here is HW. The loss of the Club will forever taint it with the stink of loss and failure. Nothing is worth that.

fyn

I disagree.
Roving bands of armed mutant thugs, intent on robbing and pillaging everything in their path, wouldn't be enough to warrant closing the Club.

The collateral damage here is HW. The loss of the Club will forever taint it with the stink of loss and failure. Nothing is worth that.

Ah. I see. At least now I know where your (ir?)rationale is coming from. :p

Figment1986

...BTW, 2 clubs at Citywalk are closing after this summer to be replaced by upscale DINING from 3rd parties.. Just thought you should know that Disney isn't the only one changing these things around.. So is Uni..

:shrug: I have not heard that rumor till now... whats going on?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, because Virgins corporate restructure has ANYTHING to do with TDO..

West Side phase 2 has not moved forward because r&d determined that FAMILIIES couldn't get easy enough access to West Side via PI as it was.. and most were staying in the marketplace area.. the new path SHOULD help with that mental barrier..
And martin, sorry for picking on your here.. i just hate the midset in general.. it's not just you..
No worries.

TDO took the cheap route. Instead of the larger, long term masterplan they had they took the easy route. One that could backfire as big as Flamingo Crossings. That`s why I`m mad. No wonder people lost jobs. Shame because as always it isn`t the real culrpits.

SeaCastle

No worries.

TDO took the cheap route. Instead of the larger, long term masterplan they had they took the easy route. One that could backfire as big as Flamingo Crossings. That`s why I`m mad. No wonder people lost jobs. Shame because as always it isn`t the real culrpits.

Can the long term plans still happen or did HW effectively kill it?

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
As for the pictures, that is the best and most well placed expansion pad I ever ever seen on Disney property away from the MK area. It is amazing and I can't wait to see what they build.

The new path will open up the entire area and people will be amazed at the dynamics of DTD in the future. It will exceed all expectations if the new offerings are compelling enough. I don't think the can spend too much and not see a great return.
Seriously?

Here is the new Adventurers Club. I kid you not. Don`t ask. Just be annoyed.

Attachments

• S&M.jpg
    S&M.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 439

Krack

Seriously?

Here is the new Adventurers Club. I kid you not. Don`t ask. Just be annoyed.

Hey, who doesn't go to WDW to look at grass? As Lee pointed out, the ability of modern-day TDO to squander goodwill built up over 40 years as quickly and as relentlessly as it does is staggering.

NiarrNDisney

Wow there's a lot more space there than I had originally thought!

So this area is suppose to be the park/outdoor amphitheater?
Isn't there going to be a small bar built here as well?

~Edit~ I attempted to post the second pic from another person post but as per usual it didnt work for me : (

jt04

Original Poster
Wow there's a lot more space there than I had originally thought!

So this area is suppose to be the park/outdoor amphitheater?
Isn't there going to be a small bar built here as well?

~Edit~ I attempted to post the second pic from another person post but as per usual it didnt work for me : (

The big area of dirt will feature a new restaurant if the rumors are true. The artist concepts seem to confirm that. The new park/amphitheater will be rather small and close to the new paridiso restaurant. The former service area between Raglin and Portofino wiill be a pedestrian walk with small shops lining the walkway. There is a round area protruding into the lake that may be for the rumored lighthouse.

No word on if/when the AC building complex will be removed. My guess is this is just the start of a multi-year redesign of all of DTD including the West End. But I think it is undeniable it has now entered the construction stage.

And as I have said numerous times, the AC seems like a perfect feature for the revitilized area and it and the comedy warehouse would offer great content to guests in the future. I don't understand why they were closed unless Disney has bigger plans for the AC theme.

SeaCastle

Just to clarify...the "seed and mulch" area isn't even planned as future expansion. It's simply that. The grassy knolls of Hyperion Wharf will remain as grassy knolls for years to come, perhaps decades.

MAF

JT also claimed that the mine train ride in FL wasn't happening and the cottages were definately coming. He also guaranteed that the high speed rail was a definite as well. :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom