Hyperion Wharf Begins

71jason

Cars has no chance of being number 1, now go get yourself another bear, or beer.

Potter 7.5 has a ceiling, same as the other HP movies; Transformers 2 was crap and audiences will remember that; PotC feels tired, I've yet to see it get a good reaction at previews. Kung Fu Panda 2 might take #1, slight chance Capt. America might take it if that film hits, but my money is on Cars.

The Cars stuff is so prevalent because it cute and there aren't any other disney items to buy for boys........ People can call Cars merch successful all they want, but it's really the first non-failure....... Why was Disney dumb enough to feel a pirate or a crazy alien would make people shopping think it was "cute" to buy for their children? It's not the boys that are buying the items!! :eek::eek::eek:

Good point. Although I hear some people like Pooh for really little boys.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Cars has no chance of being number 1, now go get yourself another bear, or beer.

The Cars stuff is so prevalent because it cute and there aren't any other disney items to buy for boys........ People can call Cars merch successful all they want, but it's really the first non-failure....... Why was Disney dumb enough to feel a pirate or a crazy alien would make people shopping think it was "cute" to buy for their children? It's not the boys that are buying the items!! :eek::eek::eek:

I agree with your statement about Cars not being the #1 movie of the year. This summer is packed with huge tent pole movies. I think Pirates will wind up being the #1 movie of the year, but Capt America and Harry Potter each will put up a good fight.

As for Pirates merchandise not being a money maker, you are wrong. It is not a Cars level success, but Pirates merch has taken in 1.6 Billion in revenue. So not too shabby there.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Potter 7.5 has a ceiling, same as the other HP movies; Transformers 2 was crap and audiences will remember that; PotC feels tired, I've yet to see it get a good reaction at previews. Kung Fu Panda 2 might take #1, slight chance Capt. America might take it if that film hits, but my money is on Cars.

Good point. Although I hear some people like Pooh for really little boys.

The final Harry Potter has a considerably higher ceiling then the ones preceding it. The main difference being, this is the end of the road. Repeat viewings will go way up. Some people who typically wait for the DVD to hit will not wait for this one. This is going to be a major event movie. The biggest franchise in movie history is coming to a close. And it is not a tired franchise. The movies have gotten continually better over time. This will be the biggest of the Potter movies.

wilsonhanks

I agree with your statement about Cars not being the #1 movie of the year. This summer is packed with huge tent pole movies. I think Pirates will wind up being the #1 movie of the year, but Capt America and Harry Potter each will put up a good fight.

As for Pirates merchandise not being a money maker, you are wrong. It is not a Cars level success, but Pirates merch has taken in 1.6 Billion in revenue. So not too shabby there.

1.6B is a success for a conventional brand....But not for one with the backing of Disney.....It was never a good fit, again the people buying the stuff want it to be "cute"..... Thats why pirates couldn't have success similar to cars.... I am really referring to the domination of the Disney brand by these products...

Pooh does work great for babies!!!!

71jason

The final Harry Potter has a considerably higher ceiling then the ones preceding it. The main difference being, this is the end of the road. Repeat viewings will go way up. Some people who typically wait for the DVD to hit will not wait for this one. This is going to be a major event movie. The biggest franchise in movie history is coming to a close. And it is not a tired franchise. The movies have gotten continually better over time. This will be the biggest of the Potter movies.

Way off-topic here, but so much better than the usual HW debate I can't help myself.

Every Potter film from Goblet of Fire on has made $290-$301 billion. Even with repeat viewings from the faithful, I don't see this one making much more than that--the people that are going to see this movie were definitely out for Half-Blood Prince as well, for instance. So while it will make a lot of money, don't see this hitting #1 for the Summer. (BTW, I didn't mean to imply I found this franchise tired...I actually consider 6 and 7.0 the best of the series.)

Pirates. Potential to be #1 in theory, but from the Super Bowl ad--in a room full of Disney fanatics--to previews--in the Pleasure Island 24--it just seems to be getting a lack-luster reaction. If it's as good as it looks, word of mouth might save it, but I think a lot of people were burned by PotC 3.

Capt. America. One I singled out as a potential spoiler. Trailer looks amazing, Marvel can make a successful movie. But no steampunk* movie has ever done anything but underperform--Wild Wild West, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Rocketeer, Sky Captain...it suggests audiences don't like their scifi in a historical context. And if Thor dissapoints, may reflect badly on Marvel. Or there may be superhero fatigue after Thor, Green Lantern and the X-Men.

Meanwhile, Cars reputation and fanbase has grown since release. It's a kids movie. It's Pixar. And the trailer gets genuine laughs, even from adults. I think it will be huge.

*-Is there a word for WW II-era "steampunk" yet? Seems like it should be its own little subgenre, this will be at least the 3rd major movie in it.

jt04

Original Poster
OK children, sorry to break up your happy thread drift but we have a new rumor in town.

Fireworks being added to the DTD experience nightly.

I wouldn't mind this but I fear some uptight busybody with a SS DVC would love such an opportunity to claim imagined pain and suffering due to loss of beauty sleep. I just can't see it happening.

My suggestions...

Bring in the earth globe from Illuminations

or

Add a light show to HW similar to the castle lights

or

bring over the electrical water parade from the MK area

or

have a new one custom made for DTD.

Any of these, just add music.

WDW1974

More bad rumors being spread, which others pick up on as fact, since there isn't anything at WDW to get excited about in 2009 ... oh wait, I mean 2010 ... oops, nope we're now in 2011.

Going to take my plush out and admire my lawn and wood chips and try and make a MAGICal Disney moment at home.

menamechris

I wouldn't mind this but I fear some uptight busybody with a SS DVC would love such an opportunity to claim imagined pain and suffering due to loss of beauty sleep. I just can't see it happening.

You seriously never went to Pleasure Island, did you?

My suggestions...

Bring in the earth globe from Illuminations

What for? To just spin it 'round and 'round for no reason?

Add a light show to HW similar to the castle lights

Huh? Christmas/Ice lights? On what?

bring over the electrical water parade from the MK area

That's just tradition to be on the SSL and BL. No way that will change. Nor should it...Why would they move something that has been clearly linked to MK and those resorts since 1971?

have a new one custom made for DTD.

Any of these, just add music.

The way the penny-pinching has been happening at WDW, I doubt anything will be added to HW that they can't charge money for...

jt04

Original Poster
You seriously never went to Pleasure Island, did you?

Saratoga Springs did not exist at the time

What for? To just spin it 'round and 'round for no reason?

It could be given seasonal applications and other features. See next.

Huh? Christmas/Ice lights? On what?

Castle-esque type lights. Use the imagination you were given.

That's just tradition to be on the SSL and BL. No way that will change. Nor should it...Why would they move something that has been clearly linked to MK and those resorts since 1971?

Cause it does not exactly draw huge crowds the way it once did. Everyone is at DTD!

The way the penny-pinching has been happening at WDW, I doubt anything will be added to HW that they can't charge money for...

Agreed in a sense. But if some sort of show was proven to keep guests around to do additional shopping, eating, drinking then it makes money indirectly. I am sure there are metrics. Many many metrics. :dazzle:

menamechris

Saratoga Springs opened in early 2004. Fireworks ran through 2005. Granted only a couple years of overlap there, but still. They won't do fireworks there again though, so it really doesn't matter.

As far as the other ideas - I still stand by that Disney seems to want as little involvement as possible with this project past building the infrastruture. They are not going to collect rent and dues from tenants just to pump it into entertainment offerings there. And quite frankly, they have no incentive to. If I hang out at HW and spend 5 hours and $1,000 one night, its not going to Disney - its going to those third party restaurants and shops. Disney won't care if its a ghost town as long as tenants are paying their rent. The trick for them now is to create something that will trick those third parties into thinking the place will be successful.

Wilt Dasney

If fireworks disturbing people were a concern for Disney, Disneyland would never launch any. The hotels on and off property can hear them loud and clear out there.

Or was the 11 p.m. timing more the alleged concern than the location? (I don't suppose it matters, since this discussion seems as theoretical as it gets.) :lol:

PalisadesPkteer

Well, since they are not ever going to put Lights of Winter back into EPCOT.

Maybe they could use them over at HW or DTD. Change up the music to suit the time of year etc. Better that than to sit around and rot away like they are now.

By the way, are they still sitting near the parking lot in bubble wrap?

menamechris

Well, since they are not ever going to put Lights of Winter back into EPCOT.

Maybe they could use them over at HW or DTD. Change up the music to suit the time of year etc. Better that than to sit around and rot away like they are now.

By the way, are they still sitting near the parking lot in bubble wrap?

Only problem is that would contradict their "the technology is out of date" claim...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom