Hyperion Wharf Begins

Ignohippo

Um, they already have a ferry service that goes from near RC over to near HoB. I know that and have not been in awhile.

Damn, I've been there a million times and never seen it. If that truly does exist, they need to be promoting it a heck of a lot better than they do!!

lazyboy97o

No, not necessarily. If they are negotiating with a food vendor why would they want to release information that they had signed a contract with another food vendor that is a potential competitor? They wouldn't.
The presence of similar business ventures is a huge factor in determining the terms of a lease. Withholding that sort of information would be a huge bad faith move that would have teams of lawyers swarming for the chance to go after Disney.

Ridemakerz hardly counts as a true third party operator. Build-A-Bear Workshop is an investor in the company, but not its sole owner. They have three stores outside of the two Downtown Disney districts. The other way they are spreading across the country is through the new Disney Store format. Then today Screamscape reports that Sarge’s Surplus in Cars Land may be another Disney-connected Ridemakerz store. Ridemakerz is very much tied to Disney and "second party operator" is probably a better descriptor.

flavious27

The presence of similar business ventures is a huge factor in determining the terms of a lease. Withholding that sort of information would be a huge bad faith move that would have teams of lawyers swarming for the chance to go after Disney.

Ridemakerz hardly counts as a true third party operator. Build-A-Bear Workshop is an investor in the company, but not its sole owner. They have three stores outside of the two Downtown Disney districts. The other way they are spreading across the country is through the new Disney Store format. Then today Screamscape reports that Sarge’s Surplus in Cars Land may be another Disney-connected Ridemakerz store. Ridemakerz is very much tied to Disney and "second party operator" is probably a better descriptor.

I doubt they be opening anything past their last 5 stores. They were founded in 2007 and they have closed 9 stores already.

I don't see disney putting this operation in their stores, the market for cars merch is going to drop off in a year or so. that is if they do not make another pained sequel.

flavious27

Yeah, my idea for the "adult resort" was something for when PI was still there. The resort I'd build now wouldn't be "adult" but it would have much less child-oriented offerings than your ordinary Disney resort. It would also have a designated adults only pool area as well.

If PI were still there, my plan would have been to build one tower for adults only, and another for families. It would be the same resort, but the amenities would all be segregated.

Port-Orleans-Resort-Riverboat-Logo_small.png

I think that this would fit into that vision of yours.

lazyboy97o

I don't see disney putting this operation in their stores, the market for cars merch is going to drop off in a year or so. that is if they do not make another pained sequel.
Ridemakerz is already present in a few Disney Store locations and I think you are underestimated how much Cars merchandise is still selling

TP2000

As mentioned above, the lavish new Disney Stores opening up around the country all have Ridemakerz branded corners of the stores where kids can make their own Pixar-Cars themed vehicles. I've been to this new Disney Store concept several times in the Mission Viejo mall here in Orange County, and the Ridemakerz section is one of the most popular. And all they have is Pixar-Cars vehicles to make and personalize, there aren't non-Cars vehicles available in the Disney Store.

Ridemakerz section of new Disney Store locations
Ridemakerz-DanielWanderman.jpg
Ridemakerz-Cars-movie.jpg

If you haven't been to one of these radically updated Disney Stores, you really must go! They are so technologically impressive and cutting edge, it's fun just to wander through and feel like you just visited a theme park for 10 minutes.

Cars 2 arrives in theaters on June 24th. I imagine the celebrity premiere will be held at Disneyland earlier in June, with a preview nod to Cars Land opening next summer.

jt04

Original Poster
nooooo there was NO PROBLEM until the frickin west side was built as a knee jerk reaction to citywalk!

Eisner had a habit of responding this way to anything Uni did. Give Iger time. He will get to it. He is only one person.

Yeah, my idea for the "adult resort" was something for when PI was still there. The resort I'd build now wouldn't be "adult" but it would have much less child-oriented offerings than your ordinary Disney resort. It would also have a designated adults only pool area as well.

If PI were still there, my plan would have been to build one tower for adults only, and another for families. It would be the same resort, but the amenities would all be segregated.

I just think this would be repeating the same problems PI caused and would alianate families because sooner or later the areas would converge somewhere. FC is a perfect location for your idea. It is weird how a totally isolated PI type resort for only adults suddenly losses appeal to people. Very weird.

Damn, I've been there a million times and never seen it. If that truly does exist, they need to be promoting it a heck of a lot better than they do!!

It is a great experience at night. And if you have a good operator he will tell you some of the history of DTD. I suspect it will be even more beautiful when HW opens. Actually I know it will and I haven't been to DTD in a few years.:lol:

Thanks for the great information. I feel smarter now. :)

NoChesterHester

Eisner had a habit of responding this way to anything Uni did. Give Iger time. He will get to it. He is only one person.

Wait... What??? One man? What about the thousands of employees?

I really don't get what you are trying to say. As much as people want to credit/blame the CEO for every move the success or failure is largely due to the persons in the division leadership positions. Sure the CEO is responsible for them being in that position, but if you think Iger is setting vision for such things as Hyperion Warf... I don't buy it.

Rare to have a CEO as hands on as Eiser was. Toward the end of his career at the WDC it was to his detriment.

71jason

I realize its April Fools and that the claim Save Pleasure Island blog posted today is just a joke, But! It does bring up something that might be nice for DTD.
Honestly a nice breakfast place/24hr eatery would be a nice addition to the rest of the dining line up provided in DTD. I am pretty sure that after a night of drinking some people would like a place to get a bite to eat, not to mention the morning shoppers in the area and guests of the DTD Resorts may want another option or just a place to go before they start their day. Yes I am aware that all DTD resorts have some form of breakfast dining however as a person who has stayed at a few of them I am aware that they are pricey and limited in there offerings. So a place like an Ihop might not be such a bad idea. Thoughts? :shrug:

The original plans for PI included a 24-hour TGI Fridays. So yeah, not that far out of line from the original vision (which, of course, if no longer there).

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes

no I'm not saying time will fix anything. You stated PI was always a problem and I am correcting you. It was not a problem until West side was built. There was NO PROBLEM until then. PI gets all the blame when it is the West Side's poor planning that created the problem. Eisner killed his own baby

Weren't some of the Ridemakerz stores temporary pop shops for the holidays? the one at DTD in CA was like that at first, then they built a permanent store.

A trolley would be a good idea to help people get around DTD. Have it go to the parking lots no where near the Marketplace. and they probably should promote the ferry a bit more. Does it stop at PI/HW, or will it?

Also... it's not "if you build it, they will come." It should be: "if you build something good/decent/worthwhile, they will come." So the West Side probably does need more interesting offerings.

Mouse Detective

A trolley would be a good idea to help people get around DTD. Have it go to the parking lots no where near the Marketplace. and they probably should promote the ferry a bit more. Does it stop at PI/HW, or will it?

The current ferry follows a 3-stop circle route, Marketplace (adjacent Rain Forest Cafe) to West Side (adjacent House of Blues) to Pleasure Island (adjacent Paradiso 37) and then back to Marketplace.

NiarrNDisney

The original plans for PI included a 24-hour TGI Fridays. So yeah, not that far out of line from the original vision (which, of course, if no longer there).

Huh I didnt know that! Although why they would build another TGI Fridays so close to the huge one at the Crossroads shopping center is beyond me.

71jason

Huh I didnt know that! Although why they would build another TGI Fridays so close to the huge one at the Crossroads shopping center is beyond me.

In fairness, I'm not entirely sure the one in Crossroads existed in the late 80s when ideas were being tossed around.

flavious27

Ridemakerz is already present in a few Disney Store locations and I think you are underestimated how much Cars merchandise is still selling

I can see how much is selling with a new movie this year, the target near us has an aisle that has about 1/4 cars merch. I just don't see cars merch being sold as much after this year's holiday season.

As mentioned above, the lavish new Disney Stores opening up around the country all have Ridemakerz branded corners of the stores where kids can make their own Pixar-Cars themed vehicles. I've been to this new Disney Store concept several times in the Mission Viejo mall here in Orange County, and the Ridemakerz section is one of the most popular. And all they have is Pixar-Cars vehicles to make and personalize, there aren't non-Cars vehicles available in the Disney Store.

Ridemakerz section of new Disney Store locations
Ridemakerz-DanielWanderman.jpg
Ridemakerz-Cars-movie.jpg

Putting in this section makes sense now but will it be worth it when demand subsides and you still have one or two employees supervising a section that is not busy? When they remove it, then there is a good size hole in their newly redesigned store concept.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom