Hyperion Wharf Begins

flavious27

No, not at all...

lights_of_winter_railing.jpg

What is this suppose to look like then?

flavious27

Something a tad more detailed than on your standard front yard at Christmas....

With some of the setups that people pull off, there is about the same detail. But what I mean is that the light technology looks the same as what my great grandparents were putting up in the 50's.

flavious27

I don't like the seed or the mulch. It's ridiculous that there were viable businesses shut down only to be replaced with seed and mulch.

Ditto.

No matter that they will build something on that land in 5 or 10 years, it is doubtful it will be the same as what was there before. PI was an unique area to not just a resort but unique in general. There really is not an area like it, one price admission to over a half dozen nightclubs.

NiarrNDisney

OK children, sorry to break up your happy thread drift but we have a new rumor in town.

Fireworks being added to the DTD experience nightly.

Any of these, just add music.

Well back in the day Pleasure Island would do a nightly New Years Eve fire works display. Honestly I am pretty sure those staying in the DTD hotels and nearby resorts would enjoy this so LETS BRING IT BACK!!!
Why Not?

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Wow i have finally made it to the end of this thread (so far)
the only concrete things to me seem to be
1. thats an hour and a half of my life i am not getting back
2.does anyone have any anadin?

:cool:

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
Way off-topic here, but so much better than the usual HW debate I can't help myself.

Every Potter film from Goblet of Fire on has made $290-$301 billion. Even with repeat viewings from the faithful, I don't see this one making much more than that--the people that are going to see this movie were definitely out for Half-Blood Prince as well, for instance. So while it will make a lot of money, don't see this hitting #1 for the Summer. (BTW, I didn't mean to imply I found this franchise tired...I actually consider 6 and 7.0 the best of the series.)

Pirates. Potential to be #1 in theory, but from the Super Bowl ad--in a room full of Disney fanatics--to previews--in the Pleasure Island 24--it just seems to be getting a lack-luster reaction. If it's as good as it looks, word of mouth might save it, but I think a lot of people were burned by PotC 3.

Capt. America. One I singled out as a potential spoiler. Trailer looks amazing, Marvel can make a successful movie. But no steampunk* movie has ever done anything but underperform--Wild Wild West, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Rocketeer, Sky Captain...it suggests audiences don't like their scifi in a historical context. And if Thor dissapoints, may reflect badly on Marvel. Or there may be superhero fatigue after Thor, Green Lantern and the X-Men.

Meanwhile, Cars reputation and fanbase has grown since release. It's a kids movie. It's Pixar. And the trailer gets genuine laughs, even from adults. I think it will be huge.

*-Is there a word for WW II-era "steampunk" yet? Seems like it should be its own little subgenre, this will be at least the 3rd major movie in it.

You nailed it with Cars being a kids movie. In my experience it has little to no pull with adults. It is widely described as Pixar's worst effort, and was not a major box office smash to start with. Global talleys leave it only ahead of Toy Story and A Bugs Life. Two movies that came out way before it, therefore skewing the Box Office gross numbers(Tickets being cheaper)

All three Pirates movies have made over 650 mill at the worldwide Box Office, and over 300 million domestic. That is significantly more then Cars made. You may be right that some people feel burned by Pirates 3. However, Johnny Depp is at the peak of his powers right now. Plus, the release date is allowing for a nice solid run before the next major Tent Pole.

On Harry Potter;

I think this will be the biggest of the bunch. It is hard to predict how much bigger it will be, but the fact is, no one will be waiting for HBO or DVD to see this. Everyone is going to be seeing this one in Theaters. Throw in the 3d surcharges, and you are looking at a much higher gross. I think anything less then 350 will be a disappointment.

I realize that cars has a huge following of little boys. But I do not think that will be enough to vault it past two franchises that have both been more successful historically. Add in all the other factors and it looks like 3rd place for the year is a best case. And quite frankly thats not so bad considering the competition.

lebeau

On HW: They may want to sign some rental agreements before they start shooting off fire works over grassy fields. Just sayin'.

On the summer movie prospects: It's too early to say for sure, but I'll edge out on the limb a little. In a crowded field, Cars is sure to do well. 300 million domestic seems like a sure thing. With 3-D tickets, maybe 350. But I don't think it will clear 400 like Toy Story 3 last summer unless everything else just completely under performs.

I think most of the super hero movies can expect to clear 300. But unless one of them is just a break-out, I don't see any of them doing Dark Knight numbers. There's bound to be at least one under-performer in there. I'm thinking it'll be X-Men.

Pirates is the clear favorite. With 3-D ticket prices and a rabid fan base, I think this one should do Pirates 4 numbers and clear 400. Hopefully they learned from the mistakes of the sequels and tightened up the story quite a bit. If not, it could possibly come in around 300 like 1 and 3 which would be a disappointment given the higher ticket price.

I see the last Harry Potter coming in around 300 same as all the others. It will be big, no doubt. But the films have been consistent. Even with a bump for being the last one, I don't see the last Potter performing that much better than the previous films.

There's a handful of spoilers that could tip the apple cart; Kung Fu Panda, Super 8 and Cowboys & Aliens... But I would be surprised to see any of them at the top of the summer heat.

Crowded summer. The only prediction I feel really safe about is that it will be bigger than last summer.

King Capybara 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Hi all, I'm new here as of last night, but have been lurking for almost a year. I'm not anyone special, I am just a fan who does know a few people who are very vaguely connected to WDI in Burbank. They never have good intel anymore for me. So basically I repeat what I've read on other forums posted by these people I personally know, and trust.
That said, it is strongly rumored out here in CA that props from Adv. Club will be used in the bar in the pool area of the Disneyland Hotel. Many CA APer's loved the AC at PI, and are sad it's gone, but glad pieces of it may show up at DLR.

If this is genuine and the props are being sent to other places in disney does this then put an end to the "Save The Adventures Club" so we can all get back to hating on Stitch/ The Hat ?????

Sits back with firesuit on and reaches for the marshmallows !!

jt04

Original Poster
Well back in the day Pleasure Island would do a nightly New Years Eve fire works display. Honestly I am pretty sure those staying in the DTD hotels and nearby resorts would enjoy this so LETS BRING IT BACK!!!
Why Not?

Hey I agree 100%. Best thing they could do.

jt04

Original Poster
SPI has declared that the former venue known as mannequins at the now defunct PI will be converted into a full service restaurant. While SPI usually has the latest and greatest on HW news. I'd say they are just a bit late with this revalation. Must be reality sinking in.

OK, if you will excuse me I have to get back to the Zumba party.

PalisadesPkteer

Only problem is that would contradict their "the technology is out of date" claim...

Yea, but it would fit right into the beginning of the electrical age theme they are apparently going to use for HW then wouldn't it!

Like I said, it would be better that they would at least be using LoW instead of just letting them rot away in bubble wrap! (Last info on here says they were near some road in bubblewrap. Is that still true?)

NiarrNDisney

SPI has declared that the former venue known as mannequins at the now defunct PI will be converted into a full service restaurant. While SPI usually has the latest and greatest on HW news. I'd say they are just a bit late with this revalation. Must be reality sinking in.

I saw this too and it made me wonder "Exactly how much space does one restaurant need?" SPI claims that not only would this third party take over Mannequins but it would also occupy 8 Trax and the soon to be empty Harley store. It seems to me that Mannequins alone has a ton of space why would this new restaurant need the other spaces? Whats going in there another Camelot dinner show Yikes! :eek: Whatever it is I'm guessing its huge and probably ridiculously themed too (T-Rex, Rainforest cafe). Maybe its that rumoured bowling alley that was onced mentioned somewhere here on these boards.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I saw this too and it made me wonder "Exactly how much space does one restaurant need?" SPI claims that not only would this third party take over Mannequins but it would also occupy 8 Trax and the soon to be empty Harley store. It seems to me that Mannequins alone has a ton of space why would this new restaurant need the other spaces? Whats going in there another Camelot dinner show Yikes! :eek: Whatever it is I'm guessing its huge and probably ridiculously themed too (T-Rex, Rainforest cafe). Maybe its that rumoured bowling alley that was onced mentioned somewhere here on these boards.

With that much space needed for a resteraunt, and with Disneys and Landry's partnership, maybe they are going to put in an Aquarium Resteraunt. Similar to the coral reef at epcot just much bigger.

NiarrNDisney

With that much space needed for a resteraunt, and with Disneys and Landry's partnership, maybe they are going to put in an Aquarium Resteraunt. Similar to the coral reef at epcot just much bigger.

Huh I didnt think of that! Landry's has one of those in here in Denver Colorado, its attached to our beautiful Aquarium. Lets just hope its not Chucky Cheese! :(

jt04

Original Poster

It is possible it could be like the Empress Lilly when it opened. It had several dining areas featuring different specialties and price points if I remember correctly. There could also be small live entertainment areas. The artist concept seems to show a small club over the current Harly shop. DTD does not have a higher end restaurant such as the EL used to provide. And because of the buildings location valet parking would be easier to facilitate. I'm sure this is one of the possibilities.

I have always thought the building could house an asian styled street food market with all manner of vendors that you might find in many cities of the far east. Asian style cuisine is almost non-existant at DTD.

I have always thought an aquarium styled restaurant could be perfect for DTD to complete the nautical theming of HW. WDW continually competes with other nearby locations (DAK vs. BGT for example) but they really don't have anything to compete with the coasts specifically. The aquarium restaurant could change that a bit.

Personally I would like to see the Coral Reef closed so that the pavilion could expand and possibly offer an e ticket experience. A similar restaurant in DTD could help make that a possibility.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member

Or perhaps they choose to wait until they have a better understanding of the facts. The blog states that not only will this new restaurant take up the place of Mannequins, but also parts of the old Harley Davidson and 8Trax as well.

It also noted that the odds of Silk Road being an entity at PI have fallen, as their Las Vegas locale has recently gone out of business.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom