Hyperion Wharf Begins

flavious27

Weren't some of the Ridemakerz stores temporary pop shops for the holidays? the one at DTD in CA was like that at first, then they built a permanent store.

A trolley would be a good idea to help people get around DTD. Have it go to the parking lots no where near the Marketplace. and they probably should promote the ferry a bit more. Does it stop at PI/HW, or will it?

Also... it's not "if you build it, they will come." It should be: "if you build something good/decent/worthwhile, they will come." So the West Side probably does need more interesting offerings.

There was one outside Fredericksburg, near my in-laws, that was a regular store and it closed before the holiday season last fall.

Most of the stores that closed, closed in August and September.

lazyboy97o

I can see how much is selling with a new movie this year, the target near us has an aisle that has about 1/4 cars merch. I just don't see cars merch being sold as much after this year's holiday season.
You have the cause and effect reversed. The Cars merchandise is not popular because of Cars 2, Cars 2 is being released (and a year earlier than planned) and Cars Land is being built because of the continued popularity of Cars merchandise. There has not been a lull in sales so any drop in popularity after Cars 2 would be a very big anomaly that nobody else has expected.

flavious27

You have the cause and effect reversed. The Cars merchandise is not popular because of Cars 2, Cars 2 is being released (and a year earlier than planned) and Cars Land is being built because of the continued popularity of Cars merchandise. There has not been a lull in sales so any drop in popularity after Cars 2 would be a very big anomaly that nobody else has expected.

Who is buying any cars merch? Outside of seeing the toy aisle at target and stuff at the disney store, I haven't seen any cars merch in the last couple of years besides bed sheets. I have almost a 2 yo daughter, so we shop at kids' stores.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
From THR:

"Merchandise tied to the Cars franchise has generated global retail sales of more than $8 billion, Walt Disney said Monday. That makes it one of the company’s top franchises at what are now $2 billion in global retail sales annually.

Disney detailed the merchandise strength of Disney/Pixar hit Cars, which has grown its retail business since its launch in 2006, here on Monday as the entertainment giant unveiled what it expects to be its largest licensed film merchandise program ever for Cars 2.

In an event tied to Toy Fair, which opened here this weekend, Disney brought Cars 2 voice actors Michael Caine and Emily Mortimer to the stage to help unveil a line of more than 300 toys for the June 24 release. Over 200 million die-cast cars tied to the franchise have sold to-date, the company said."

So there you go.

lebeau

Who is buying any cars merch? Outside of seeing the toy aisle at target and stuff at the disney store, I haven't seen any cars merch in the last couple of years besides bed sheets. I have almost a 2 yo daughter, so we shop at kids' stores.

164539441_b541982f71.jpg

Do a quick Google search. Here's a link to get you started: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/disney-cars-has-crossed-8-99438

8 Billion (with a B) dollars!

The phenomenal success of Cars merch has been well reported. It's the reason for the sequel and the DCA expansion. There's no reason to think it will become less popular after the sequel than it was between movies.

Having a daughter (as I do) you may be out of the loop on Cars. But the success of the merch is a fact, not a matter of opinion.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
While I have daughters as well I have always loved toys, (shocking I know :D) and have always been surprised at how much there is of it and how often it is refreshed. I do not know who is buying it but I can say that it is a quick mover.

flavious27

While I have daughters as well I have always loved toys, (shocking I know :D) and have always been surprised at how much there is of it and how often it is refreshed. I do not know who is buying it but I can say that it is a quick mover.

Well if they are able to sell 8 billion worth of cars merch, that is pretty impressive. Is there like a huge cars merch following in russia, like how they love narnia?

I just don't believe that cars merch is going to be selling so well here in the states after the coming holiday season. I am a guy and had matchbox cars along with one or two rc cars and the electric track sets. I know that stuff sells but there is only so much licensed merch parents will buy and how long kids will want the same licensed merch year after year. I kind of think that the only licensed kids merch that sells year after year is for wwe and most of the buyers are not kids.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well if they are able to sell 8 billion worth of cars merch, that is pretty impressive. Is there like a huge cars merch following in russia, like how they love narnia?

I just don't believe that cars merch is going to be selling so well here in the states after the coming holiday season. I am a guy and had matchbox cars along with one or two rc cars and the electric track sets. I know that stuff sells but there is only so much licensed merch parents will buy and how long kids will want the same licensed merch year after year. I kind of think that the only licensed kids merch that sells year after year is for wwe and most of the buyers are not kids.
Do not forget that people are always making new kids and Cars is one of the few Disney franchises that appears predominately to boys. Also Disney has done a great job at keeping Cars fairly fresh with Mater's tall tales. I have no idea why Cars sells like it does but there is no reason to think that it will be slowing down in the near future.

wilsonhanks

Just look at all this stuff....I do have to add though, there is way too many "Cars" themed kid items and not enough non-Cars items....so part of the success has to also be from people who love disney , but are lacking other disney options ...

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...ey+cars&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

lebeau

That's the problem with making observations based solely on your own experiences/biases.

For one, there are lots of lucrative toy liscenses out there. Star Wars. Batman. Spiderman. WWE as you mentioned. Toy Story. Disney Fairies and Princesses.

The amount of ailse space Wal-Mart devotes to Cars should really have you rethinking your stance on the subject. You're just objectively wrong about past and present performance. And there's really no reason to think the immediate future would be any different. If anything, the second movie makes the future look rosier.

For whatever reason, you're missing something.

Wilt Dasney

I can attest that my 7-year-old nephew is a huge Lightning McQueen/Mater fan and has been for some time. Do with that single data point what you will.

inluvwithbeast

I can attest that my 7-year-old nephew is a huge Lightning McQueen/Mater fan and has been for some time. Do with that single data point what you will.

Little boys who have daddies or uncles or grandfathers who love cars seem to be picking up the Cars merch. My boyfriend and I are involved in the import car scene here in OKC. We've met several families and couples through car shows and clubs, and the people with young boys have lots of Cars merch laying around. My personal anecdote proves that Cars merch is popular too!

Wilt Dasney

Little boys who have daddies or uncles or grandfathers who love cars seem to be picking up the Cars merch. My boyfriend and I are involved in the import car scene here in OKC. We've met several families and couples through car shows and clubs, and the people with young boys have lots of Cars merch laying around. My personal anecdote proves that Cars merch is popular too!
:lol:

The plural of anecdote is data, after all!

2gether

Boys $$$

I can see how much is selling with a new movie this year, the target near us has an aisle that has about 1/4 cars merch. I just don't see cars merch being sold as much after this year's holiday season.

Disagree. My son is four and has been a constant pusher for Cars merchandise almost since birth. Every year for Christmas, birthday, etc. almost all he asks for is "Cars stuff". We were up playing in his room yesterday and I realized that he has 3 Maters, 2 Ramones, multiple Lightnigs, etc., and that is just the Matchbox size cars. Please note: child was not even born when the movie came out. If the shirts worn by other male children at his preschool are any indication, only the Packers (I am a Cheesehead) are selling more clothing to them than Disney, and 90% of it is Cars related stuff.

Cars merch. has sold at a steady pace ever since the movie came out. Not seeing it as a HUGE boon for Disney would be a mistake: I seriously doubt that besides the Princess and Toy Story franchises ANY Disney brand will make as much money in the next 5 years as Cars (although the Avengers franchise from Marvel will give it a run for its money. My son already loves Captain America and he won't be able to watch those movies for like 5 more years).

flavious27

Do not forget that people are always making new kids and Cars is one of the few Disney franchises that appears predominately to boys. Also Disney has done a great job at keeping Cars fairly fresh with Mater's tall tales. I have no idea why Cars sells like it does but there is no reason to think that it will be slowing down in the near future.

Well all we can do right now is wait and see. We also won't get a breakdown by disney that shows where and when their sales were.

flavious27

Just look at all this stuff....I do have to add though, there is way too many "Cars" themed kid items and not enough non-Cars items....so part of the success has to also be from people who love disney , but are lacking other disney options ...

http://www.walmart.com/search/searc...ey+cars&ic=48_0&Find=Find&search_constraint=0

0001291438204_300X300.jpg

All I can think when I see this is a child that is thinking "I am going to eat fast, then ________ fast, and do it all over again".

I do wonder what parents do with the car shaped beds when their kids outgrow them.

71jason

. If the shirts worn by other male children at his preschool are any indication, only the Packers (I am a Cheesehead) are selling more clothing to them than Disney, and 90% of it is Cars related stuff.

Walking around the parks on a regular basis, the amount of Cars stuff on little boys doesn't quite match the amount of princess stuff on little girls--but it's getting close. Funny how Disney spent years pushing Stitch as the new "boy" franchise (not to mention the Disney Heroes line that went straight to the outlet stores), only to have Pixar's "failure"* give them a franchise on a silver platter.

Of course, everything is cyclical, one of these years Lightning and friends will stop selling...but I think we are still years away from that. I think Cars 2 will explode at the box office, solid shot at #1 movie of the year.

*Disney fanboi/movie geek conventional wisdom, I actually put Cars in my top 3 Pixar movies.

wilsonhanks

Walking around the parks on a regular basis, the amount of Cars stuff on little boys doesn't quite match the amount of princess stuff on little girls--but it's getting close. Funny how Disney spent years pushing Stitch as the new "boy" franchise (not to mention the Disney Heroes line that went straight to the outlet stores), only to have Pixar's "failure"* give them a franchise on a silver platter.

Of course, everything is cyclical, one of these years Lightning and friends will stop selling...but I think we are still years away from that. I think Cars 2 will explode at the box office, solid shot at #1 movie of the year.

*Disney fanboi/movie geek conventional wisdom, I actually put Cars in my top 3 Pixar movies.

Cars has no chance of being number 1, now go get yourself another bear, or beer.

The Cars stuff is so prevalent because it cute and there aren't any other disney items to buy for boys........ People can call Cars merch successful all they want, but it's really the first non-failure....... Why was Disney dumb enough to feel a pirate or a crazy alien would make people shopping think it was "cute" to buy for their children? It's not the boys that are buying the items!! :eek::eek::eek:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom