Hyperion Wharf Begins

jt04

Original Poster
Having joined in some of the light-hearted abuse here myself, I will step back to say in all seriousness that jt probably gets worse than he deserves at times.

But I also suspect he tries to set it up that way. If you read any thread like this, it usually starts off with him making some rather conventional claim (something that's at least debatable, if not necessarily true) while making sure to state it in as flamboyant and antagonistic a tone as possible. Essentially, what could be a point of fun discussion is presented as Received Wisdom which fools challenge at their peril. The result is what you see here. He tries to rub people the wrong way, essentially, and is rewarded (I suspect that is the right term) by having his claims subjected to more scrutiny than most people's would be. The "unwarranted" attacks give him a chance to assume the lonely martyr's stance and claim people are singling him out irrationally. Go a few rounds, nothing gets solved. Move process to new thread. Lather, rinse, repeat. The circle of life is complete.

Having observed how consistently he stays "in character" regardless of how well or poorly his statements fare in reality, I've concluded there's probably a good bit of Andy Kaufman-esque performance art at work here.

So while I occasionally rise to the bait (hey, it's all in fun!), I do at least recognize (what I believe to be) the inner workings of this dance we've all gotten so used to. :)

Are you refering to Andy Kaufman the comedic genius or Andy Kaufman the tram driver? It makes a difference. :cool:

jt04

Original Poster
Valid point. The lighting industry is really going through a big change that is showing up in real projects now, all due to the new LED fixtures for sale in commercial settings. They really can do neat things with them, as seen in the viewing areas of World of Color where ornamental Victorian themed fixtures turn into 21st century dazzlers that play a part in the show. Mickey's Fun Wheel also got a dramatic transormation when the 2001 incandescent bulbs were all swapped out with computer controlled LED lights that can change into a bajillion colors, for general atmosphere or as part of the World of Color show.

Your reference above jt at Miceage is for the new Disney Junior Live On Stage attraction at DCA that got a big facade redo and refurbishment as part of its 3 month winter closure to change to the new Disney Junior show.

They installed LED lighting on the marquee and entry area, and it does all sorts of patterns and tricks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0lvVfzJ8F0

Amazing video and what I think is the kind of thing that HW will be made up of. If common sense prevails over the budget cutters that is.

lebeau

Are you refering to Andy Kaufman the comedic genius or Andy Kaufman the tram driver? It makes a difference. :cool:

I was thinking more like Tony Clifton...

tony-clifton-andy-kaufman.jpg

lebeau

Glad somebody got that. :lol:

"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?" is a standard in the lebeau household. Right up there with "Good talk, Russ" and "So I got that going for me. Which is nice." Or perhaps my all-time favorite "You'll get nothing and like it!"

I know I switched movies on you in the last two. But they are in the same spirit.

Buried20KLeague

Amazing video and what I think is the kind of thing that HW will be made up of. If common sense prevails over the budget cutters that is.

:lookaroun

There is a distinct difference between going out on a limb and throwing crap on a wall to see what sticks.

You didn't really go out on a limb. You basically said "This is what should happen if things go well. This is what will happen if things go bad." I can do that too. If it thunderstorms tomorrow, people on campus will carry umbrellas and wear rainboots. If it doesn't, they won't.

You didn't really PREDICT anything.

Nice hedge. Goes well with all that grass.

Hahaha! Exactly! It's a go...unless it's not. It will making a killing...unless it doesn't.... :p

Hey, look. I'm 100% confident this will either happen, or not. Trust me.

But you'll still be expecting public apologies if one side of the coin you called both sides of lands face up, naturally. ;)

Still, a prediction of "this will either happen or it won't" just isn't very useful.

janoimagine

"Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?" is a standard in the lebeau household. Right up there with "Good talk, Russ" and "So I got that going for me. Which is nice." Or perhaps my all-time favorite "You'll get nothing and like it!"

I know I switched movies on you in the last two. But they are in the same spirit.

Good to know I am not alone.

The most common used one around my house is: 'I got robbed by a little old lady in a motorized cart." And "Fell of the Jet-Way again." or my personal favorite: "Man, you are one pathetic looser ... no offense ... No, none taken."

Mouse Detective

jt04

Original Poster
SPI blog has a new drawing that shows the new grassy area but interestingly shows the AC complex remaining.

But before anyone gets their hopes up, I contend these drawings are meant for the water district only and may be required by law. I think they are only meant to depict current conditions and not future growth. But that is just my opinion. To back that up they are saying that they heard the contracts are signed.

Over at the other place however, they have all drunk the grassy knoll kool-aid. What a bunch of lemmings. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Lee

Adventurer
Over at the other place however, they have all drunk the grassy knoll kool-aid. What a bunch of lemmings.

What Kool-Aid?
You mean they believe that the clubs are being replaced with grass and mulch?
How is that Kool-Aid when it's true?
:rolleyes:

flavious27

SPI blog has a new drawing that shows the new grassy area but interestingly shows the AC complex remaining.

But before anyone gets their hopes up, I contend these drawings are meant for the water district only and may be required by law. I think they are only meant to depict current conditions and not future growth. But that is just my opinion. To back that up they are saying that they heard the contracts are signed.

Over at the other place however, they have all drunk the grassy knoll kool-aid. What a bunch of lemmings. :rolleyes:

:lol:

0311+PI+PLANS+022.jpg

This is one of plans they posted, they do mention that the lower levels of the AC and BET NC will be demolished and it would make sense that the upper levels will be also.

I did not know that underneath the west end plaza was a maze of offices. It almost begs for a first person shooter PI level to be made.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
This is one of plans they posted, they do mention that the lower levels of the AC and BET NC will be demolished and it would make sense that the upper levels will be also.

I did not know that underneath the west end plaza was a maze of offices. It almost begs for a first person shooter PI level to be made.
The upper level will be held up by sky hooks. This will still allow sod and mulch to put underneath.:lookaroun

jt04

Original Poster
What Kool-Aid?
You mean they believe that the clubs are being replaced with grass and mulch?
How is that Kool-Aid when it's true?
:rolleyes:

The blog in question has heard otherwise and they believe the contracts are signed. The grass could have been planted to deter erosion into the lake as construction may still be a few months off. Remember, these drawings are specifically meant for water management agencies. And they have rules. Lots of rules.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom