Hyperion Wharf Begins

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Oh, I know all KINDS of people high up in the immigration department. Problem is, I can't tell you who any of them are. And I can only share parts of what they tell me with you.

SEE?!?!?!?!?!?!? Doesn't feel so hot when someone does it to YOU now, does it???

:lol:
That made me laugh :ROFLOL:

Lee; They couldn`t afford me. I`d want to do daft things. Like finish the PotC refurb. Plus what they did to Space Mountain. Update the COP. Refurb Energy. Open Life and Odyssey. Design Imagination 4. Get rid of the hat. Update the GMR.

Even my little things would be too much hassle like complete SSE, fix the light leaks in 180top, fix Dinosaurs CTX effects....

lazyboy97o

Club 33 is where the alcohol is served in DL and it wasn't opened until 1967. The park opened in 1955. So you're telling me that they weren't sucessful for those 12 years?
I was not specifically talking about alcohol, but the appeal and marketing to adults. Just look at all of the famous photos of Walt Disney showing off his park to world leaders and celebrities. Club 33 was considered a viable idea because adults already liked Disneyland and a special place within the park would be a good place to schmooze with business partners.

Also, while it was not located within the park boundaries, the adjacent Holidayland did serve alcohol. The area might as well have been in the park and people treated it as such, that being where they would get a drink while at Disneyland.

zulemara

In the Parks
Yes
I just don't understand why they can't put an eaterie that serves food during the day/early evening, then turns into a dance club at night and have it be 3rd party if they are so intent on playing landlord. sigh...

SeaCastle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE-2sqg6FDA&list=PL0EAFC797D5EFA651&index=46&playnext=2

I also saw a story from an Orlando affiliate (NBC I think) that said there will be 4 new restaurants
. No qualifier at all. They stated it as a fact and as if the leases are signed. My hunch is they are they just have chosen not to announce all the new tenants. I think though it is obvious Silk Road has signed. That is how these things work with all sorts of confidentiality agreements between parties etc.

Actually you can see the lighthouse which the insiders say will be a grill stand, a tented structure near the new amphitheater which also seems to be a quick service eatery and the new eatery in the closed down Mannequins. That leaves all the new storefront being created behind Raglin and the entire west side of the island where the AC, Soundsatge and CW are. I would assume some sort of eatery will be on that end of the island. Therefore that makes four. Simple deduction Watson.

As for lightbulbs, if you go to Miceage and check there monday resort update for DLR you will see a picture of some lightbulbs that were just installed at one of their minor attractions. I believe that this is a taste of what will be coming to HW. Can't wait for a video! So my prediction of over 8,000 lights could possibly be low.

Yes, everyone is going to Anaheim. As for me, the D23 Expo will send me on another trip to Vindicationland when once again I am proven right about Hyperion Wharf. :)

There are no plans indicating that an eatery will be built on the AdClub/BET side of the island, and you made an assumption that there would be a restaurant inside of Mannequins, which there is no solid information to indicate.

I'm very interested in seeing this press release. If you're capable of linking to a plethora of YouTube videos and SavePleasureIsland posts I'm sure you'd be able to find this Orlando affiliate story. :)

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
There are no plans indicating that an eatery will be built on the AdClub/BET side of the island, and you made an assumption that there would be a restaurant inside of Mannequins, which there is no solid information to indicate.

I'm very interested in seeing this press release. If you're capable of linking to a plethora of YouTube videos and SavePleasureIsland posts I'm sure you'd be able to find this Orlando affiliate story. :)

Selective amnesia works wonders.

worldfanatic

And any post of substance left this thread LOOOONG ago.

True, but when you go back to the beginning, there never really was any substance in this thread.
Just an opening comment about a change at Pleasure Island.....and then an overwhelming wave of and complaining about how the new plan is so lame.

I only wish to God you losers wouldn't show up and lurk around Hyperion Wharf once it opens.
But that's hopeless, you'll be there.........looking for things to cry about.

Mouse Detective

True, but when you go back to the beginning, there never really was any substance in this thread. Just an opening comment about a change at Pleasure Island.....and then an overwhelming wave of and complaining about how the new plan is so lame.
I only wish to God you losers wouldn't show up and lurk around Hyperion Wharf once it opens. But that's hopeless, you'll be there.........looking for things to cry about.

Name calling is undignified. We're entitled to our opinions that closing the clubs for what we're getting in place of them was a big mistake. It's up to Disney to wow us and so far they haven't come close!

You can see the lighthouse which the insiders say will be a grill stand, a tented structure near the new amphitheater which also seems to be a quick service eatery and the new eatery in the closed down Mannequins. That leaves all the new storefront being created behind Raglin and the entire west side of the island where the AC, Soundsatge and CW are. I would assume some sort of eatery will be on that end of the island. Therefore that makes four.

JT might actually be right about this. Going with information that the PI blog posted at various times-
1) The waterfront boat restaurant mentioned by Lee and later confirmed by the newspaper in Minnesota.
2) Some sort of bar with snacks adjacent the new waterfront show area.
3) A restaurant with a lighthouse design, pictured in the concept art. Not sure what it is but it could be a restaurant.
4) Silk Road inside Mannequins. It's in the concept art and they could not have used the name and logo of a legitimate company without its permission. Home of the $22 Breakfast Buffet.

draybook

I was not specifically talking about alcohol, but the appeal and marketing to adults. Just look at all of the famous photos of Walt Disney showing off his park to world leaders and celebrities. Club 33 was considered a viable idea because adults already liked Disneyland and a special place within the park would be a good place to schmooze with business partners.

Also, while it was not located within the park boundaries, the adjacent Holidayland did serve alcohol. The area might as well have been in the park and people treated it as such, that being where they would get a drink while at Disneyland.

Fair enough my friend.

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Name calling is undignified. We're entitled to our opinions that closing the clubs for what we're getting in place of them was a big mistake. It's up to Disney to wow us and so far they haven't come close!

images

It's better for all, really......

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
True, but when you go back to the beginning, there never really was any substance in this thread.
Just an opening comment about a change at Pleasure Island.....and then an overwhelming wave of and complaining about how the new plan is so lame.

I only wish to God you losers wouldn't show up and lurk around Hyperion Wharf once it opens.
But that's hopeless, you'll be there.........looking for things to cry about.

Interesting post Jeff...

ZHoyt

Man people are unfair in this thread. Saying a plan won't happen if the stock market crashes is an unreasonable hedge? How many times has this actually happened? How about the Pixar Place expansion that was shelved when the economy took its first major nosedive? Does that invalidate all of the people who said it was happening?

I don't come around here much, but as a casual observer, seems like people are just hating the messenger. JT's predictions come off as inferences from what information has been publicly released, not some vague secrete dossier stolen by a janitor. None of this claims are unreasonable. That doesn't mean they will happen, but it really comes off that people are either a) predisposed to dislike JT because of his history around here or b) still angry over PI/AC shutting down or both to really give any of this a fair shake. Certain rational posters excluded.

I will miss AC greatly, it was a wonder. Hope something gets done for it. But the rest of PI was a hot mess and had been for years. Hopefully HW turns out great and it isn't smoke and mirrors. Time will tell.

flavious27

No, sir.
Without the Club, Hyperion Wharf is (and always will be) a huge, steaming pile of monkey crap disguised as boring, unimaginative third-party shopping and dining.

Death to Landry's Landing and Monkey Crap Wharf!!!!:fork:
Fire all who are responsible for this nonsense!

agreed, is this tdo's solution to flamingo crossings staying at a standstill?

Wilt Dasney

Man people are unfair in this thread. Saying a plan won't happen if the stock market crashes is an unreasonable hedge? How many times has this actually happened? How about the Pixar Place expansion that was shelved when the economy took its first major nosedive? Does that invalidate all of the people who said it was happening?

I don't come around here much, but as a casual observer, seems like people are just hating the messenger. JT's predictions come off as inferences from what information has been publicly released, not some vague secrete dossier stolen by a janitor. None of this claims are unreasonable. That doesn't mean they will happen, but it really comes off that people are either a) predisposed to dislike JT because of his history around here or b) still angry over PI/AC shutting down or both to really give any of this a fair shake. Certain rational posters excluded.
Having joined in some of the light-hearted abuse here myself, I will step back to say in all seriousness that jt probably gets worse than he deserves at times.

But I also suspect he tries to set it up that way. If you read any thread like this, it usually starts off with him making some rather conventional claim (something that's at least debatable, if not necessarily true) while making sure to state it in as flamboyant and antagonistic a tone as possible. Essentially, what could be a point of fun discussion is presented as Received Wisdom which fools challenge at their peril. The result is what you see here. He tries to rub people the wrong way, essentially, and is rewarded (I suspect that is the right term) by having his claims subjected to more scrutiny than most people's would be. The "unwarranted" attacks give him a chance to assume the lonely martyr's stance and claim people are singling him out irrationally. Go a few rounds, nothing gets solved. Move process to new thread. Lather, rinse, repeat. The circle of life is complete.

Having observed how consistently he stays "in character" regardless of how well or poorly his statements fare in reality, I've concluded there's probably a good bit of Andy Kaufman-esque performance art at work here.

So while I occasionally rise to the bait (hey, it's all in fun!), I do at least recognize (what I believe to be) the inner workings of this dance we've all gotten so used to. :)

TP2000

In addition to all that, prior to Club 33's opening in early 1967, Walt had a private dining room in the back of the Plaza Inn restaurant at the end of Main Street USA. Walt entertained there regularly, and they routinely served alcohol there from a small bar.

Club 33 was simply a bigger and more lavish version of that private dining room Walt used in the 1950's and 60's. Walt also enjoyed a nice, stiff Scotch at the end of the workday up at his Studios, like many men still do. (I knew there was a reason I've always admired Uncle Walt so much!) Since Walt was not a teetotaler, his Disneyland apartment he stayed in overnight regularly above the Main Street firehouse probably wasn't a dry part of town either. :lol:

jakeman

But I also suspect he tries to set it up that way. If you read any thread like this, it usually starts off with him making some rather conventional claim (something that's at least debatable, if not necessarily true) while making sure to state it in as flamboyant and antagonistic a tone as possible. Essentially, what could be a point of fun discussion is presented as Received Wisdom which fools challenge at their peril. The result is what you see here. He tries to rub people the wrong way, essentially, and is rewarded (I suspect that is the right term) by having his claims subjected to more scrutiny than most people's would be. The "unwarranted" attacks give him a chance to assume the lonely martyr's stance and claim people are singling him out irrationally. Go a few rounds, nothing gets solved. Move process to new thread. Lather, rinse, repeat. The circle of life is complete.
That sounds eerily familiar in style...

draybook

In addition to all that, prior to Club 33's opening in early 1967, Walt had a private dining room in the back of the Plaza Inn restaurant at the end of Main Street USA. Walt entertained there regularly, and they routinely served alcohol there from a small bar.

Club 33 was simply a bigger and more lavish version of that private dining room Walt used in the 1950's and 60's. Walt also enjoyed a nice, stiff Scotch at the end of the workday up at his Studios, like many men still do. (I knew there was a reason I've always admired Uncle Walt so much!) Since Walt was not a teetotaler, his Disneyland apartment he stayed in overnight regularly above the Main Street firehouse probably wasn't a dry part of town either. :lol:

Private being the key word. It wasn't intended for the general public.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom