Hyperion Wharf Begins

Mouse Detective

SPI blog has a new drawing that shows the new grassy area but interestingly shows the AC complex remaining.

I think the drawing you're referring to shows all the changes on the eastern half of the island and none of the changes on the western half. But as the prior postings show, AC and BET which are on the western half, are coming down.

I can't picture how they're going to do this. If part of the lower level has offices that are to remain there and the two clubs which are on both the upper and lower levels are going to be demolished, where is the dirt and grass going and how are people going to walk by?

SeaCastle

The blog in question has heard otherwise and they believe the contracts are signed. The grass could have been planted to deter erosion into the lake as construction may still be a few months off. Remember, these drawings are specifically meant for water management agencies. And they have rules. Lots of rules.

SPI blog has a new drawing that shows the new grassy area but interestingly shows the AC complex remaining.

But before anyone gets their hopes up, I contend these drawings are meant for the water district only and may be required by law. I think they are only meant to depict current conditions and not future growth. But that is just my opinion. To back that up they are saying that they heard the contracts are signed.

Over at the other place however, they have all drunk the grassy knoll kool-aid. What a bunch of lemmings. :rolleyes:

:lol:

Not really...the plans that got posted on the South Florida Water Management District website were specific to designate what was for future use and what wasn't. The area by the Comedy Warehouse was specifically described as "Future Entertainment Parcel 2". The grassy knolls received no such designation. They're just grassy knolls.

Unless we're talking WAY down the road here, you probably won't be seeing development on the "seed and mulch" areas. If they were to be developed in the short term, they would have been labelled a "Future Entertainment Parcel", which is not the case.

Attachments

• hyperion.png
    hyperion.png
    205.5 KB · Views: 42

JustInTime

I will be glad when Adventures club has been torn down for about 10 years. Hopefully by then the constant complaints will be down to a more minimal amount. It's very, very sad that the Club is gone but this is getting old.

JustInTime

Oh, no....on the contrary.
I intend to get louder by the year!:D

Lee, I would expect nothing less from you! I was picturing your reply as I typed that. It's is truly sad but I can't see having this discussion over and over. We have literally had the same discussion for the past few years sine it was announced the club would close with no new developments. But I gotta love your spirit.

Krack

I will be glad when Adventures club has been torn down for about 10 years. Hopefully by then the constant complaints will be down to a more minimal amount. It's very, very sad that the Club is gone but this is getting old.

Haha - Horizons is gone 11 years now and the clamor to bring it back is probably greater now than ever. 8 years people have been asking for them to get rid of Stitch from Alien Encounter. 14 years on the original Tiki Room. 13 years on the original Journey Into Imagination.

When Disney botches something, the fanbase never lets it go.

lazyboy97o

The blog in question has heard otherwise and they believe the contracts are signed. The grass could have been planted to deter erosion into the lake as construction may still be a few months off. Remember, these drawings are specifically meant for water management agencies. And they have rules. Lots of rules.
Or they could just let the buildings sit there for a little longer. Cheaper and easier. All of those rules you mention are exactly why Disney would not want to quickly turn around on this.

TP2000

The blog in question has heard otherwise and they believe the contracts are signed.

So, I was in Downtown Disney Anaheim late this afternoon waiting for some family to meet for dinner, and I thought of this thread. There was a group of four suits walking from store to store and they came out of Vault 28 (expensive Disney boutique only in Anaheim) babbling excitedly to each other and headed towards D Street (also in Orlando) just as I walked in. Three of the four had Walt Disney World nametags on, and didn't quite look like locals.

I watched them as they moved through a rather crowded TrenD store and the Disney World guys and one girl were just besides themselves. They weren't looking at the products on the shelves so much as they were the people shopping there and three separate times I heard the guy who appeared to be at the top of the totem pole say "Great vibe!.... just a really great vibe here!". I say he was at the top of the totem pole because the other two Disney World suits were deferential to him, and would chime in with positive comments after every nice thing he said. The one suit with the Disneyland nametag was just sort of playing host and beaming at the comments. They were all dressed well, and were clearly in upper management or lower executive ranks.

I'm now kicking myself for not zeroing in on the names on their nametags, so that someone here might be able to identify who they might be in Orlando Downtown Disney management ranks. I was so proud of myself for spotting that their nametags were a bit different, and said Walt Disney World instead of Disneyland. :brick:

But...

It's interesting that Orlando management is out checking out what was a rather crowded and buzzing Anaheim Downtown Disney today. They really seemed to be jazzed about the "vibe" and "scene" at the hip Disney boutiques Anaheim has. I had to go on and meet family for dinner at the Grand Californian, but they were really fired up about Vault 28 and D Street. Interesting, don't you think?

Disney Vault 28 boutique at Downtown Disney Anaheim
P1-0002.jpg
Vault28_100806_AVP.jpg

NiarrNDisney

So, I was in Downtown Disney Anaheim late this afternoon waiting for some family to meet for dinner, and I thought of this thread. There was a group of four suits walking from store to store and they came out of Vault 28 (expensive Disney boutique only in Anaheim) babbling excitedly to each other and headed towards D Street (also in Orlando) just as I walked in. Three of the four had Walt Disney World nametags on, and didn't quite look like locals.

I watched them as they moved through a rather crowded TrenD store and the Disney World guys and one girl were just besides themselves. They weren't looking at the products on the shelves so much as they were the people shopping there and three separate times I heard the guy who appeared to be at the top of the totem pole say "Great vibe!.... just a really great vibe here!". I say he was at the top of the totem pole because the other two Disney World suits were deferential to him, and would chime in with positive comments after every nice thing he said. The one suit with the Disneyland nametag was just sort of playing host and beaming at the comments. They were all dressed well, and were clearly in upper management or lower executive ranks.

I'm now kicking myself for not zeroing in on the names on their nametags, so that someone here might be able to identify who they might be in Orlando Downtown Disney management ranks. I was so proud of myself for spotting that their nametags were a bit different, and said Walt Disney World instead of Disneyland. :brick:

But...

It's interesting that Orlando management is out checking out what was a rather crowded and buzzing Anaheim Downtown Disney today. They really seemed to be jazzed about the "vibe" and "scene" at the hip Disney boutiques Anaheim has. I had to go on and meet family for dinner at the Grand Californian, but they were really fired up about Vault 28 and D Street. Interesting, don't you think?

P1-0002.jpg
Vault28_100806_AVP.jpg

OOO I hope they would consider bringing Kitson and Vault they are both great stores. My friend has just reminded me that she would also like to see a Sephora like they had in Anaheim as well.

flavious27

No, I have to voice my displeasure over hyper waste the same way about philly live.

jt04

Original Poster

But...

P1-0002.jpg
Vault28_100806_AVP.jpg

Sorry I almost missed this. Isn't there a Vault 28 at the WDW Marketplace? I have not been in a few years? Great story and good to know they are looking to make the DTD area marketable to all ages and budgets. They are sitting on a gold mine and it sounds like some of them realize it even if the CEO thinks of it as a "shopping center". I still can't believe he said that. :lol:

I guess he does have a sense of humor. :lookaroun

jt04

Original Poster
Not really...the plans that got posted on the South Florida Water Management District website were specific to designate what was for future use and what wasn't. The area by the Comedy Warehouse was specifically described as "Future Entertainment Parcel 2". The grassy knolls received no such designation. They're just grassy knolls.

Unless we're talking WAY down the road here, you probably won't be seeing development on the "seed and mulch" areas. If they were to be developed in the short term, they would have been labelled a "Future Entertainment Parcel", which is not the case.

My theory is they would have never released the artist concepts if contracts were not signed. I think you are reading way too much into the drawings. You know, what I am always accused of. :lol:

lebeau

My theory is they would have never released the artist concepts if contracts were not signed.

That seems like a pretty huge assumption on your part. It seems to me they might release the artwork to attract renters.

Why do you they would delay releasing the artwork?

jt04

Original Poster
That seems like a pretty huge assumption on your part. It seems to me they might release the artwork to attract renters.

Why do you they would delay releasing the artwork?

They had just gotten burned doing this with FC. People may have lost their jobs over that. I can't believe they would make the same mistake twice.

Plus there is the touchy subject of making such an announcement and potentially infuencing the sale of DVC's at least partially on the news. Although it may be walking a fine line legally, it is at least potentially bad public relations.

Just my viewpoint of the situation.

Ignohippo

My theory is they would have never released the artist concepts if contracts were not signed. I think you are reading way too much into the drawings. You know, what I am always accused of. :lol:

If contracts were signed, you'd be seeing signs of construction, not just demolition. Disney would be doing everything in it's power to get that area filled as soon as possible. Every month Hyperion Wharf lays dormant is another month of losses in the hundreds of thousands. Unfortunately, I'd bet HW is still a couple of years away. For now, it'll be a pleasant area to stroll through (which is why they're tearing down the abandoned buildings and making green areas). They know that people don't want to walk through an abandoned area on their way from the Marketplace to West Side. The current demolition is nothing more than trying to make the area more appealing for people to walk through.

The rumor that Ridemakerz is temporarily moving into the (former?) Team Mickey space, so that it can then relocate into a carved up version of the old Virgin Store, also doesn't bode well for Hyperion Wharf. I'm sure Disney would be doing everything it could to woo them into HW if it were anywhere close to being ready to populate. It would also make more sense for RM to wait and make one move to HW than it does to move twice.

It sounds to me like they're going to do everything they can to get the West Side and Marketplace completely filled for now because those are the higher rent districts and they don't want to invest in the expense of infrastructure re-development for HW until the area is going to be filled with much more than just one or two tenants.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer

We are reading into official permit filings. You are reading into a vague drawing by an artist. You have to see the difference.

jt04

Original Poster
If contracts were signed, you'd be seeing signs of construction, not just demolition. Disney would be doing everything in it's power to get that area filled as soon as possible. Every month HW lays dormant is another month of losses in the hundreds of thousands.

The rumor that Ridemakerz is temporarily moving into the (former?) Team Mickey space, so that it can then relocate into a carved up version of the old Virgin Store, also doesn't bode well for Hyperion Wharf. I'm sure Disney would be doing everything it could to woo them into HW if it were anywhere close to being ready to populate. It would also make more sense for RM to wait and make one move to HW than it does to move twice.

It sounds to me like they're going to do everything they can to get the West Side and Marketplace completely filled for now because those are the higher rent districts. That would also leave the specific design for HW up in the air so that it could remain fluid for changes depending on interest later on – no reason to move a couple of tenants in there now, only to have them move later when larger tenants show interest. I'm also thinking they're not moving tenants into the area for now because they don't want to invest on infrastructure re-development until the area is going to be filled with much more than just one or two tenants.

This is all quite possible and your reasoning seems sound to me. I would just add though that the HD store is moving to the West End. So it could be that they are still prepping the 'island' to become a major construction zone. And I again heard the rumor about the AC complex coming down soon. Perhaps they want to finish all the removals before starting construction. Now we can only wait and see.

jt04

Original Poster
We are reading into official permit filings. You are reading into a vague drawing by an artist. You have to see the difference.

No, because Disney officials were rather specific verbally describing Hyperion Wharf and the way it would be presented with the lights and sound effects etc. And the amphitheater being installed sooner rather than later.

flavious27

they had just gotten burned doing this with fc. People may have lost their jobs over that. I can't believe they would make the same mistake twice.

Plus there is the touchy subject of making such an announcement and potentially infuencing the sale of dvc's at least partially on the news. Although it may be walking a fine line legally, it is at least potentially bad public relations.

Just my viewpoint of the situation.

fc?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom