Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

Disorbust

I used the roads situation as an example of some of the problems which are occurring in the area. Staffing will more than likely be reduced and crowd control will be a consideration. Years ago we took a trip to Europe and had one day to visit Venice. We pre-purchased tickets to tour St. Mark’s Basilica. Turns out that the previous week there was some flooding in the square which caused cancellation of scheduled events, one of which was some large ceremony at the Basilica. The event was rescheduled for the day we were there and all tours were canceled. Of course we were disappointed but there was nothing we could do. Considering what is going on in FL with the flooding, storm damage, people being forced from their homes, homes being destroyed and people not all that far away getting hurt and dying, throwing a hissy fit because you can’t get to ride Soarin’ seems pretty petty and selfish to me. Consider the bigger picture and situation.

In your example EVERYONE who had a reservation was affected.

I think on these boards people forget there are many guests who can not afford to stay onsite and scrimp and save to take their family to WDW. One of our CNAs has a "trip of a lifetime" with one day at Magic, all she could afford for her family, so she really doesn't care "if she rides Soaring" as you so snarkly say.

Not everyone can switch their vacation time or add a day.

Disney gives their onsite guest extra magic, admission at Christmas etc but if they want to start "resort only" then get rid of the reservation system and require guests to stay onsite. Yes I get it, but I would assume if I have a reservation and they are open, I will get in.

Considering what is going on in FL with the flooding, storm damage, people being forced from their homes, homes being destroyed and people not all that far away getting hurt and dying, throwing a hissy fit because you can’t get to ride Soarin’ seems pretty petty and selfish to me.

Well according to this no one should be going to the parks in deference. IF Disney does limit to resort guests it will not be because of any consideration to the current situation. It will be because of staffing and I guarantee you they will let ANYONE in who has a ticket to Not So Scary tomorrow night, resort guest or not.

Consider the bigger picture and situation.

Consider your privilege

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The morning of H.Michael's dissipation, I thought for sure everything was going to be closed for the whole day. But, they opened up Disney Springs that evening and bussed Disney Resort guests there.

The flooded roadways may make that impossible today.
I think…possibly?…that this is the most significant rain event in recorded central florida history?

Not happening today

This is huge, the airport must have some big damage. Wow
It could be they need to access and check the runways. My gut feeling is if there is tons of flooding or excess water, the ground below the runways are comprimised and they need to handle landing jets at all weights. even if from above they are not flooded,, could be whats underneath an issue.. There is tons of water surrounding the airport during normal times..

could also be other issues still, maybe MCO is flooded..

peter11435

In your example EVERYONE who had a reservation was affected.

I think on these boards people forget there are many guests who can not afford to stay onsite and scrimp and save to take their family to WDW. One of our CNAs has a "trip of a lifetime" with one day at Magic, all she could afford for her family, so she really doesn't care "if she rides Soaring" as you so snarkly say.

Not everyone can switch their vacation time or add a day.

Disney gives their onsite guest extra magic, admission at Christmas etc but if they want to start "resort only" then get rid of the reservation system and require guests to stay onsite. Yes I get it, but I would assume if I have a reservation and they are open, I will get in.

Considering what is going on in FL with the flooding, storm damage, people being forced from their homes, homes being destroyed and people not all that far away getting hurt and dying, throwing a hissy fit because you can’t get to ride Soarin’ seems pretty petty and selfish to me.

Well according to this no one should be going to the parks in deference. IF Disney does limit to resort guests it will not be because of any consideration to the current situation. It will be because of staffing and I guarantee you they will let ANYONE in who has a ticket to Not So Scary tomorrow night, resort guest or not.

Consider the bigger picture and situation.

Consider your privilege
Look if staffing and other conditions limit the number of parks they can open and the capacity they can handle. They can and will limit to only resort guests, this should not be unexpected or shocking.

If WDW just closes parks reservations for new ones, they should be ok.. Has anyone been able to make a new reservation this weekend? Seeing airports are closed and the east coast is in IAN's path ( those driving wont) I can see many just cancelling.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I learned from this storm that shelters ask you to bring three days of food for your family as well, which makes sense but I'd never thought of that before. So there's a financial barrier potentially too.

That too. Not everyone who lives in this state is a wealthy retiree. Collier County got hit hard. Immokalee is home to lots of migrant laborers.

There are lots of barriers to people evacuating, and not just attitude.

Ayla

I-4 is closed for a short stretch until it drains.

Impact and damage is very hit and miss. I wouldn’t call it isolated but it’s not Armageddon everywhere.
No, it isn't, but stocking theme parks are not, and should not be, any kind of priority.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Although there is a difference between the small islands, and areas that are basically populated sand bars vs larger areas like Tornado Alley. Living "on the beach" has been a selling point for so long, it's hard for folks to give up on that dream. But with each storm, you wonder how sustainable and how long this "rebuild" strategy can continue.

Local governments can change that, by placing a moratorium on new builds. Barrier islands are called that for a reason. Some are also home to species that are put at risk by human development.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom