Hurricane Ian expected to impact Florida (updates and related discussions)

I have no idea what to do about our reservation/arrival on Sunday yet. We have Halloween party tix that it sounds like Disney will move ahead with so we are inclined to go. On the second half of our trip, we were supposed to be visiting family in Naples, but that looks unlikely right now. Even if we could make it from Orlando, I'm sure the infrastructure won't be fit for a family with small children.

ToTBellHop

I adore UO social:
1664485774708.png

Slpy3270

Punta Gorda got hit badly but hasn't suffered the kind of devastation Fort Myers Beach had. I guess the two had different hurricane-proofing strategies post-Charley.

donsullivan

Premium Member
Local governments can change that, by placing a moratorium on new builds. Barrier islands are called that for a reason. Some are also home to species that are put at risk by human development.
It will likely take a combination of local, state and federal to prevent that. The federal government has to stop giving them money to rebuild and the state and local need to be prepared for the firestorm when they refuse to let them rebuild in those areas. That has been a battle in coastal communities for decades. To date, nobody has been willing to take the political heat to stop the rebuilding

plutofan15

In your example EVERYONE who had a reservation was affected.

I think on these boards people forget there are many guests who can not afford to stay onsite and scrimp and save to take their family to WDW. One of our CNAs has a "trip of a lifetime" with one day at Magic, all she could afford for her family, so she really doesn't care "if she rides Soaring" as you so snarkly say.

Not everyone can switch their vacation time or add a day.

Disney gives their onsite guest extra magic, admission at Christmas etc but if they want to start "resort only" then get rid of the reservation system and require guests to stay onsite. Yes I get it, but I would assume if I have a reservation and they are open, I will get in.

Considering what is going on in FL with the flooding, storm damage, people being forced from their homes, homes being destroyed and people not all that far away getting hurt and dying, throwing a hissy fit because you can’t get to ride Soarin’ seems pretty petty and selfish to me.

Well according to this no one should be going to the parks in deference. IF Disney does limit to resort guests it will not be because of any consideration to the current situation. It will be because of staffing and I guarantee you they will let ANYONE in who has a ticket to Not So Scary tomorrow night, resort guest or not.

Consider the bigger picture and situation.

Consider your privilege
I have no idea if Disney is going to limit guests to on site only but they have done it in the past. Hurricane Floyd in 99 only Animal Kingdom opened to on site guests only. And they may have limited guests to using Disney transportation only so they did not have to staff toll booths, parking attendants or tram drivers. I could be mistaken on that. I know, they didn’t have a reservation system back them but reservations may not matter if not all the parks open. The fact that someone staying off site has a reservation is meaningless if they decide it is in the best interest to limit park entrance to on site guests only. Guest services is always available for complaints.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
It will likely take a combination of local, state and federal to prevent that. The federal government has to stop giving them money to rebuild and the state and local need to be prepared for the firestorm when they refuse to let them rebuild in those areas. That has been a battle in coastal communities for decades. To date, nobody has been willing to take the political heat to stop the rebuilding

Precisely. St. George Island was devastated after Dennis in 2005. Scraped the island clean, including demolishing a significant percentage of the sand dunes. 17 years later? Private homes stretch from one end to the state park at the other end. Not even Michael in 2018 slowed the construction.

Ayla

I learned from this storm that shelters ask you to bring three days of food for your family as well, which makes sense but I'd never thought of that before. So there's a financial barrier potentially too.
One emergency official TWC spoke to a few days ago when they were recommending evacuating (don't remember county) said the shelters provide food.

Rob562

Wait, did they really park that boat under the bridge? It looks like the fenders are out, which aren’t out in normal operation I don’t think. I mean, I’m sure they drop an anchor, but surely they have an actual dock to tie boats down to cleats?

The boat docks are out in the open near Royal Pacific, and the berths are pretty snug when parking two right next to each other. Parking at least some of them under bridges gives them more protection and minimizes bumping against each other in high winds.

Screenshot_20220929-171641.png

-Rob

hopemax

I believe I read an article where a few small communities were buying properties and leasing them back to the current owners. So elderly residents who have been there for years could stay, but prevent turnover, and would eventually be depopulated. But I can’t remember where I read it.

Ayla

From what I read and heard on the news whoever was under mandatory evacuation was given the opportunity to go to a free shelter. I believe even sheriffs were going door to door trying to get people out. I am pretty sure that someone wanted to have help they would get it. It comes down to people not wanting help. Not having the resources shouldn’t be an issue. The one woman who is all over twitter looking for her mom in FMB choose not to leave. She had her reasons. Bit home there are 800- millions. Mobile homes different demographic.
Oh yeah, they found her...'cause her daughter thought a woman who refused to evacuate just because should be every single search and rescue ops priority.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom