How much of the DIS stock plummet is related to the parks? In particular, WDW..

MickeyLuv'r

I agree the only reason the parks are making money is because they raised ticket prices, charge for genie plus charge for ILL while eliminating perks like Disney Magical Express and using the park reservation system to minimally staff the parks.
Just back...and I have partly come to accept G+, sorta.
I was able to even get decent food a few places. (Steakhouse 71, Trattoria del Forno, and Yak & Yeti)

But a few things really rubbed us the wrong way. the problems with how the parks are currently run runs deeper.

On our HS morning, we had an hour to kill before 1st and 2nd G+. We got in line for MMRR. Posted wait was 40minutes. ACTUAL wait was more than DOUBLE that, and NOT because the park was crowded. The wait was that bad because the staff just did not take anyone from the standby line. It was really bad. When they did let anyone in, it was ONE family at a time. G+ users were streaming in, no wait, with gaps, but non-G+ was ignored. It would have only taken a slight adjustment in ratios to get the line moving.

Because the line was SO insultingly slow, we nearly missed our G+. When we got in line, we thought we'd safely arrive for the START of our G+ time window, that's why we picked MMRR. Ugh. I have come to really dislike HS in the age of G+.

On our last day, GoG went down, but there was no announcement for at over 25minutes. We had no cell reception, but WDW kept letting people enter the queue, so it was a little hard to tell what was happening. Sometimes the ILL lane moved, so it looked like maybe the ride had restarted. We were mid-way through the Virtual Queue line, so we had no good option. We had no idea when the ride would restart, no easy way to exit, etc. We had to step over hundreds of people to exit the queue. When we did leave, on the way out they scanned our bands and gave us an ILL, but we had no way of knowing when they started issuing them. Our day would have been signifincantly better if they had immediately announced that we could leave with an ILL to return.

I can accept paying for G+ and to stay onsite when the parks deliver. What gets my goat though is when I jump through all the hoops, but the parks do not deliver what they sold us. IMO, that the killer part of highly monetizing ride queues. People want what they pay to have.

(Uni also had a fail because both Hagrids and Velicoaster wore down for the duration of Early entry hour. Uni did not open anything early to replace them, so it was get up early wait in the hot sun for ride that is not open. Not a fun way to start the day!)

Last edited:

thomas998

No…what is says is they’re dangerously coming close to breaking their parks model
With price increases…

So that’s the game.
You’re not gonna like if if they “win”…or “lose”
If they tripled the prices, lost enough visitors that they only achieved the same revenue as the previous year it would be a win. Lower usage would mean less wear and tear so less maintenance costs, lower visitors means you need fewer cast members, lower food costs and other consumables... It would be a win if they had fewer customers and the same revenue... so having fewer customers and more revenue is a win.

Miss Bella

Just back...and I have partly come to accept G+, sorta.
I was able to even get decent food a few places. (Steakhouse 71, Trattoria del Forno, and Yak & Yeti)

But a few things really rubbed us the wrong way. the problems with how the parks are currently run runs deeper.

On our HS morning, we had an hour to kill before 1st and 2nd G+. We got in line for MMRR. Posted wait was 40minutes. ACTUAL wait was more than DOUBLE that, and NOT because the park was crowded. The wait was that bad because the staff just did not take anyone from the standby line. It was really bad. When they did let anyone in, it was ONE family at a time. G+ users were streaming in, no wait, with gaps, but non-G+ was ignored. It would have only taken a slight adjustment in ratios to get the line moving.

Because the line was SO insultingly slow, we nearly missed our G+. When we got in line, we thought we'd safely arrive for the START of our G+ time window, that's why we picked MMRR. Ugh. I have come to really dislike HS in the age of G+.

On our last day, GoG went down, but there was no announcement for at over 25minutes. We had no cell reception, but WDW kept letting people enter the queue, so it was a little hard to tell what was happening. Sometimes the ILL lane moved, so it looked like maybe the ride had restarted. We were mid-way through the Virtual Queue line, so we had no good option. We had no idea when the ride would restart, no easy way to exit, etc. We had to step over hundreds of people to exit the queue. When we did leave, on the way out they scanned our bands and gave us an ILL, but we had no way of knowing when they started issuing them. Our day would have been signifincantly better if they had immediately announced that we could leave with an ILL to return.

I can accept paying for G+ and to stay onsite when the parks deliver. What gets my goat though is when I jump through all the hoops, but the parks do not deliver what they sold us. IMO, that the killer part of highly monetizing ride queues. People want what they pay to have.

(Uni also had a fail because both Hagrids and Velicoaster wore down for the duration of Early entry hour. Uni did not open anything early to replace them, so it was get up early wait in the hot sun for ride that is not open. Not a fun way to start the day!)
At Disneyland on July 5, there was an hour where 8 attractions were down at once. At WDW last year 5 times we were in line for a ride and it went down. I don't recall this ever happening 3 years ago.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
If they don’t take anyone from the standby line now…it’s being done to sell lightning with less attendance

You can’t really argue it.

And how do they know that would work? The disastrous fp+

I told everyone that sucked for operational reasons…this is “legacy suck” based on it

Last edited:

Miss Bella

Sometimes I think, at least with D+, it's a questions of good money after bad. You'd think "why spend money and then not release?". But, at least with Captain Nemo, that's happening. See this.

Kinda sad. I would have watched that. But with the butchering going on at D+ right now, we'll be dropping our subscription next month. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that type of thinking is picking up more steam as we go along.
I subscribed to get a discount at WDW and then dropped it. There really wasn't anything on there that interested me. I'd probably do the same if we ever go back to WDW. The best room discounts are now tied to being a Disney+ subscriber.

In fairness though I can't find much on Netflix or Prime that interests me either. I just canceled HBO Max. I used to binge-watch Netflix shows all the time. I haven't done that in the last two years.

We got rid of Cable a year ago so I don't even watch the news anymore. I'm not disconnected from what goes on in the world I just prefer the Internet, you tube. rumble, X, and podcasts on those platforms.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I subscribed to get a discount at WDW and then dropped it. There really wasn't anything on there that interested me. I'd probably do the same if we ever go back to WDW. The best room discounts are now tied to being a Disney+ subscriber.

In fairness though I can't find much on Netflix or Prime that interests me either. I just canceled HBO Max. I used to binge-watch Netflix shows all the time. I haven't done that in the last two years.

We got rid of Cable a year ago so I don't even watch the news anymore. I'm not disconnected from what goes on in the world I just prefer the Internet, you tube. rumble, X, and podcasts on those platforms.
You basically just described Hollywoods worst nightmare🤪

Fordlover

DIS stock's PE is 66.
To reach a normal PE the E has to triple, or the P has to drop another 60%. Possibly a little of both.
Wait for the next 5 trillion stimulus package before buying as that explains the recent high stock price.
Any predictions on how much lower can the stock price go before the revolving door in the C suite turns again? Not that doing so will fix the stock price, but man anyone who bought near the peak of 190 has got to be pizz'd off (as Sirwalter would say). I predict the return of the dividend will only help a tiny bit.

MickeyLuv'r

At Disneyland on July 5, there was an hour where 8 attractions were down at once. At WDW last year 5 times we were in line for a ride and it went down. I don't recall this ever happening 3 years ago.
Wow! Eight is pretty crazy! I do recall attractions going down in the past, but not at the current rate of them going down, except new attractions. Test Track, Mission: Space, Rise, Gringott's, Hagrid's, all went down while we were in line for them when they were new.
I also got stuck multiple times on Splash, which was well-known for having reliability issues for quite a while.

MickeyLuv'r

If they don’t take anyone from the standby line now…it’s being done to sell lightning with less attendance

You can’t really argue it.

And how do they know that would work? The disastrous fp+

I told everything that sucked for operational reasons…this is “legacy suck” based on it
I'd almost say it is more than that too.
Inflated standby lines hide how empty the park really is, and how few attractions HS has. WDW wants to sell G+, but they also need people simply to BE in HS. Not only does HS lack rides, IMO it lacks non-rides reasons to be in the park, IMO.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I'm not sure what you meant by that. I did not make up the survey Disney sent to me. As I stated the food and service was not up to par.

Food quality has declined a little (just my opinion, not everyone will agree) but the menu's are stale, and you will find your servers practically begging for 5-star ratings while not providing 5-star service due to being stretched too thin because they have to attend to more tables than pre-Covid (aka. Staffing problems). There are still stellar meals to be found on-board in the regular dining rooms (the filet mignon in 1923 on the Wish, for example), but they are fewer than in years past.

Miss Bella

Food quality has declined a little (just my opinion, not everyone will agree) but the menu's are stale, and you will find your servers practically begging for 5-star ratings while not providing 5-star service due to being stretched too thin because they have to attend to more tables than pre-Covid (aka. Staffing problems). There are still stellar meals to be found on-board in the regular dining rooms (the filet mignon in 1923 on the Wish, for example), but they are fewer than in years past.
Food is very subjective. I've never been wowed by cruise food, but it should be at least edible. We cruised on the Magic in Europe last year and the food was pretty good. I agree with you on the stale menus they really need to change it up.

I don't know if it still holds true, but the Dream used to be the training ship. If that's still the case they may want to rethink that if the Dream is going to be sailing the most expensive itineraries in Europe.

Prior to covid every time I got on a cruise I would see crew members I recognized and they recognized us. Post covid I've only seen one that was familiar and that was a head server from Turkey. I agree with you on the staffing issues it does feel different. Oddly I didn't get the excellent rating speech this cruise.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
With the expansion of the money supply, is a 60 PE the new 20 PE?

I hope not, most at least attempt to be fiscally responsible. The company I work for does make billions, but they also have a PE that's 25. It also has a market cap larger than DIS, but has a narrower focus not trying to be everything to everybody.

Miss Bella

She’s the best!! She was on our cruise in early March and was just an awesome entertainment host and tour guide. She got high marks and several mentions from us at the end of our cruise.
I really liked Tony from Spain, but he was soooooo 2019. I'm not sure he's still around. I did have a nice conversation with Olivia about laundry on the ship....and it turns out neither one of us packed enough knickers...so there you go. I can't look at my underwear now without calling them knickers.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom