How much of the DIS stock plummet is related to the parks? In particular, WDW..

TrainsOfDisney

Disneyland has high prices and Genie too, however. Why isn’t attendance down at Disneyland?
Well for a start…. the quality hasn’t dropped the same at Disneyland imho. In fact, Magic Happens and Wondrous Journeys are the best parades / fireworks I’ve ever seen at a disney park I think. They just opened runaway railroad and the new toontown, they have everything back to pre-Covid. I don’t see closed restaurants and shops like in Florida. All the entertainment is out, characters, transportation like 2 red car trolleys and all the Main Street vehicles. It’s just the Full Disney park experience still.

Back to Anaheim…I haven’t followed the genie response there…but it’s been wretched in Orlando. But DL has maxpass to prepare them…

it doesn’t affect the wait times nearly as much because there are so many attractions. Rise of the resistance has been 45 minutes… that’s fine. I’ll wait 30-45 to ride Indy, runaway, rise, etc.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
it doesn’t affect the wait times nearly as much because there are so many attractions. Rise of the resistance has been 45 minutes… that’s fine. I’ll wait 30-45 to ride Indy, runaway, rise, etc.
…I’ll wait as long as the line is when someone wraps me in duct tape and drags me on kicking and screaming…

…cause I won’t have a choice 🤪

thomas998

Wow…your financial advisor live in your mirror, doesn’t he?

…might want to get your research team on that…
And you think we don't have new parents every year? You might want to think about that, only way you aren't getting new parents every year is if the birth rate drops and women decide to never have any kids... Surely you don't believe that, because if you do I have some swamp land to sell you.

Miss Bella

Really looking forward to it! Can I ask what ship you were on that didn’t meet expectations?
We were on the Dream in Europe. I've cruised 30 times on Disney and will say this is the first time I've had servers that I was disappointed in. Food is hit or miss on any cruise, but this was particularly bad. We also had a 24-hour period where no alcohol could be served. That was absolutely the biggest fail I've ever seen on a cruise. It had to have cost DCL a good penny.

Other than all that the cruise was fantastic as always. I don't think you'll be disappointed. You know how it is the more money you give a business the fussy you get and the higher expectations you have. That's pretty much where I am with DCL. Hopefully, they'll get back to where they were pre-shut down. In fairness, it's been less than a year since things have really got back to normal for cruises.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And you think we don't have new parents every year? You might want to think about that, only way you aren't getting new parents every year is if the birth rate drops and women decide to never have any kids... Surely you don't believe that, because if you do I have some swamp land to sell you.
The birth rate has dropped…in the places where they have the money to blow on Disney parks.

Not a hard concept here.

If you’re saying “everytime someone doesn’t go to Disney, there’s 5 to take their place”

…ok…I’ve heard it. It’s being disproven right now…but it’s an oldie

Chi84

Premium Member
We were on the Dream in Europe. I've cruised 30 times on Disney and will say this is the first time I've had servers that I was disappointed in. Food is hit or miss on any cruise, but this was particularly bad. We also had a 24-hour period where no alcohol could be served. That was absolutely the biggest fail I've ever seen on a cruise. It had to have cost DCL a good penny.

Other than all that the cruise was fantastic as always. I don't think you'll be disappointed. You know how it is the more money you give a business the fussy you get and the higher expectations you have. That's pretty much where I am with DCL. Hopefully, they'll get back to where they were pre-shut down. In fairness, it's been less than a year since things have really got back to normal for cruises.
No alcohol for 24 hours on vacation would probably be the end of me 😂

We’re going to be on the Fantasy in the western Caribbean and just can’t wait! First cruise ever.

Miss Bella

No alcohol for 24 hours on vacation would probably be the end of me 😂

We’re going to be on the Fantasy in the western Caribbean and just can’t wait! First cruise ever.
At 6 pm they blasted an announcement in all the rooms that wouldn't be serving alcohol for the next 24 hours because they weren't leaving Danish water. We were going from one Danish port to the other and it was against the rules....um OK.

It was obvious this came as a complete shock to the servers, bartenders, and guest services. No tips for the bartenders for 24 hours. My guess is Disney forgot to pay some customs fees or fill out some paperwork that would have allowed them to sell alcohol in Danish waters. If what DCL says is true what cruise line in their right mind would plan an itinerary where you couldn't sell alcohol for 24 hours that's a huge monetary loss. Needless to say, the ship was dead that night.

123mart123

I fully expect visitors to skip the return trips... but so long as you have new parents in the world that believe Disney is a right of passage for them, they will still have customers.
I’m not sure how long they glide on that. I’ve seen the vast majority of diehard lifelong fans comeback with zero desire to return over the last few years. So far, they have not - meaning they canceled future planned trips and haven’t gone during their typical seasonal trips. They are in a new ‘vacation pattern”.

worse, they are not evangelizing the brand at All. They are actually telling very negative stories of the complexity, nickel and dime-ing and lines.

This is anecdotal evidence at best. But I think Disney has broken a healthy customer lifecycle “model”. return trips matter….or at least a strong desire to go back Is part of the allure and positive evangelizing that surrounded the brand For decades.

Miss Bella

just curious…why?
We started when our kids were young. The kid's clubs are exceptional, and my kids loved it. The biggest reason is we get discounts on DCL that the general public doesn't get. Like you have said it always comes down to money. I could not afford 30 DCL cruises if I was paying full price.

I have found cruising to be the easiest way to travel as a family, especially in Europe. My youngest is now 19 and they still have activities for that age group. We have been very fortunate to have some amazing vacations on DCL. Will we continue to sail DCl as empty nesters? I'm not a very forward thinker, but my guess is once in a while, but not very often.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
We started when our kids were young. The kid's clubs are exceptional, and my kids loved it. The biggest reason is we get discounts on DCL that the general public doesn't get. Like you have said it always comes down to money. I could not afford 30 DCL cruises if I was paying full price.

I have found cruising to be the easiest way to travel as a family, especially in Europe. My youngest is now 19 and they still have activities for that age group. We have been very fortunate to have some amazing vacations on DCL. Will we continue to sail DCl as empty nesters? I'm not a very forward thinker, but my guess is once in a while, but not very often.
Totally understand that. Thanks for sharing.

My kids have spent about a year of their lives (I stopped counting…they’re in their mid teens) on the ground in Orlando. We had been on dcl prior to them so of course that’s where we tried about 10 years ago. It’s quality…but we didn’t find it perfect for the price (we had gone on RCCL a few times and celebrity prior). So we went on RCCL a couple of times and both we and they prefer it now that they’re older.
DCL at launch had a higher overall standard than the cruise operators…for 10 years…but I honestly believe they’ve fallen behind the last 10-15 because the others have built more impressive ships…particularly on the food front. Disney has done what I believe what they have done in Orlando with the newer ships: limited investment while pushing prices.

There really is a lot to like about RCCL and Norwegian…in particular…as a side by side comparison to DCL. Not perfect…tradeoffs…but the pricing isn’t comparable once you’re on the ships and the juju of “disney” doesn’t matter anymore.

I don’t talk dcl much here…cause I would get shouted down (and Deserve it alot…no illusions 😎)…but I always feel like it’s the “D” as 50% of the argument and we no longer owe management that. It’s not 1998 where our comp is the 1987 issue Kathy Lee Gifford carnival ships anymore.

Just my take…I’d still keep sailing…Disney or otherwise.

Last edited:

Miss Bella

Was there a choice for "We're normal people"?
I rolled my eyes at the pronoun and sexuality questions, but then when they started asking about what news websites you read it was very clear what data they were trying to ascertain.

I don't know why Disney just didn't keep doing what they've done for 50 years that made them so loved. They have always been inclusive without making a huge deal out of being inclusive. Now they've just started an unnecessary culture war.

If I was 25 years younger and just starting a family. I'm not sure Disney would be on my radar. Number one the cost and two I'm not sure my kids would be into Disney. My kids became enamored with Disney watching their movies. When was the last time Disney had a blockbuster animated movie? It feels like it's been a while.

John park hopper

Back in 1990 we planed a WDW trip for early June with my 2 young sons. Called reservations at that time for Dixie Landing and in the back of my mind I remember hearing some where that June was unofficial gay days. I asked the rep about it and she was reluctant to say one way or the other. After a while she admitted yes but that Disney did not sanction it and maybe I should chose another time. which I did. Seems Disney has done a 180 which is fine if that is what they want to do (private company) Many would like Disney to stay neutral and just provide the best entertainment for all.

Miss Bella

Totally understand that. Thanks for sharing.

My kids have spent about a year of their lives (I stopped counting…they’re in their mid teens) on the ground in Orlando. We had been on dcl prior to them so of course that’s where we tried about 10 years ago. It’s quality…but we didn’t find it perfect for the price (we had gone on RCCL a few times and celebrity prior). So we went on RCCL a couple of times and both we and they prefer it now that they’re older.
DCL at launch had a higher overall standard than the cruise operators…for 10 years…but I honestly believe they’ve fallen behind the last 10-15 because the others have built more impressive ships…particularly on the food front. Disney has done what I believe what they have done in Orlando with the newer ships: limited investment while pushing prices.

There really is a lot to like about RCCL and Norwegian…in particular…as a side by side comparison to DCL. Not perfect…tradeoffs…but the pricing isn’t comparable once you’re on the ships and the juju of “disney” doesn’t matter anymore.

I don’t talk dcl much here…cause I would get shouted down (and Deserve it alot…no illusions 😎)…but I always feel like it’s the “D” as 50% of the argument and we no longer owe management that. It’s not 1998 where our comp is the 1987 issue Kathy Lee Gifford carnival ships anymore.

Just my take…I’d still keep sailing…Disney or otherwise.
I totally agree. We sailed on Royal recently and the ship was by far the best ship we've been on. Don't get me started on how awful the Wish is. They are coming out with two more just like it? We only cruise Disney when there's a sailing that's discounted. I think you'll see less pushback from Disney cruisers in the future. Things are changing.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Not to be controversial, but I just returned from a Disney cruise. The first question on the marketing survey post cruise was what are the pronouns of everyone in your family. They also wanted to what news sources I read and listed an array of left and right leaning websites. How much money we made and our sexual preferences.

The food and service was the worst we’ve had out our 30 cruises. I was kind of shocked by the line of questions. It seems they are more concerned with pronouns than food quality.

I’m guessing their trying to feel out their customer base, but it was such an odd survey.
That's bizarre, my experience with DCL has been exactly the opposite. We sailed in December 2020, April 2021, and July 2022 and it's one of the most "traditional" experiences I've had anywhere, Disney or otherwise. Everything was very "yes sir," "yes ma'am," pull out the chair and open napkins for the ladies, ladies order first, firm handshake and a "thank you" with the father at the end of the meal.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom