How much of the DIS stock plummet is related to the parks? In particular, WDW..

Raidermatt

For all the complaints about the parks, from Wall St's pov they are doing fine. We may question the sustainability of their strategies, but as of yet they have not negatively impacted the stock price. Wall St actually likes it when you can raise prices and make more $'s. And they really don't give a rat's patoot about who is dressed like what in the parks.

So clearly the answer to whether the parks have anything to do with Disney's stock price issues is "no".

Wall St is particularly concerned about ESPN, ABC and Disney+ and that is the primary "drag" on the stock price. Hence Iger's efforts to sell these off or find partners willing to sink more cash into these laggards. The Studio isn't helping right now either, but most analysts consider this to be a high fluctuation business, so they don't seem to be TOO worried yet.

We have to remember that analysts pay very little attention to what we pay attention to. For good or bad, they are looking at certain metrics and do not get caught up in what they consider to be noise. Most of the time this serves them well. But when there really is a major shift somewhere, they can be late to the game. We'll have to wait and see if that is the case with the parks. Because if the park performance actually does begin to deteriorate, investors will be looking at an $80-something stock price as the good 'ole days.

TP2000

Actually…. Virgin! I enjoy celebrity as well though.

I've had excellent experiences with Viking. Classy, but not overly formal or stilted. Onboard lectures and amenities are perfection.

As an aside; I've found all the Viking cruises (river or ocean) I've been on so far have had a number of fellow gay or Lesbian travelers. By Day 2 or 3, there's often two or three tables of us at dinner who found each other as if by magic. 🤣 But never once any virtue signaling or cringey pronoun statements from the crew, which would be infuriating and/or uncomfortable for many. And because it's the 2020's instead of the 1970's, not a peep from our fellow straight travelers who seem happy to interact with any and all. It's all just seamless and normal on Viking. Exactly how it should be.

TP2000

That's bizarre, my experience with DCL has been exactly the opposite. We sailed in December 2020, April 2021, and July 2022 and it's one of the most "traditional" experiences I've had anywhere, Disney or otherwise. Everything was very "yes sir," "yes ma'am," pull out the chair and open napkins for the ladies, ladies order first, firm handshake and a "thank you" with the father at the end of the meal.
It is still is that way. The experience onboard doesn't have anything to do with the marketing survey they sent out. Let's not conflate the two. The marketing survey had absolutely nothing to do with the cruise.

That likely has everything to do with the staff themselves, most of whom are not American. In my non-Disney experience, ship service staff are often Filipino, South and Central Americans, and Eastern Europeans. All cultures that value good manners and traditional bearing, and have never been told that saying "Yes Ma'am" to a lady was somehow impolite.

Disney Cruise Line would probably have to go through at least a month of retraining and re-education to remove the cultural backgrounds from their international staff members before they ended up with the type of person who would ask a 14 year old girl wearing a pink sun dress what her pronouns are, or ask the obvious Dad sitting at the head of the table in the blue sport coat what his pronouns are. 🤣

TP2000

What about Disney getting into real estate development? They are developing a huge community in Rancho Mirage, California for the 55+. My parents lived in Palm Desert so I'm familiar with the area. I'm not sure if this is a good investment in this economic environment.

I have friends in Rancho Mirage who've been all over that topic. The reality is that Disney is simply licensing their name and their IP to a third party property developer to create that housing development. And Disney can walk away from it at any time in the future.

When the news broke out there, everyone was saying "Disneyland is building a new resort on Bob Hope Drive." o_O

But the reality is far different. Disney is only about as involved in it as they are the Disney Store toy aisle at your local Target.

TrainsOfDisney

I've had excellent experiences with Viking. Classy, but not overly formal or stilted. Onboard lectures and amenities are perfection.
Oh I do like the lectures! That’s something I wish Virgin would do, but in a cool way. That’s one of the things I miss when I cruise with them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
stock $83.68 ----they must be doing something right -----NOT
Sorry what California allows does not dictate what the rest of the country perceives as normal. That maybe Disney's problem.
Hey…relax…haven’t dipped below the 10 year mark yet…
1693529632765.png

…5 not looking so hot

1693529691171.png

…or the 2

1693529717938.png

Or the 1….

1693529744196.png

…come to think of it…check back with me in 2 weeks about the ten 😎

Miss Bella

That likely has everything to do with the staff themselves, most of whom are not American. In my non-Disney experience, ship service staff are often Filipino, South and Central Americans, and Eastern Europeans. All cultures that value good manners and traditional bearing, and have never been told that saying "Yes Ma'am" to a lady was somehow impolite.

Disney Cruise Line would probably have to go through at least a month of retraining and re-education to remove the cultural backgrounds from their international staff members before they ended up with the type of person who would ask a 14 year old girl wearing a pink sun dress what her pronouns are, or ask the obvious Dad sitting at the head of the table in the blue sport coat what his pronouns are. 🤣
English is the majority of the crew's second language. Getting the English pronouns correct is hard enough for them without confusing the issue. I'm just glad they don't call me Miss. Even in my 20's, I wasn't offended by being called Ma'am.

The pronoun thing is Western culture and mostly Gen Z. My kids are very used to being asked what pronoun they go by.

Miss Bella

I have friends in Rancho Mirage who've been all over that topic. The reality is that Disney is simply licensing their name and their IP to a third party property developer to create that housing development. And Disney can walk away from it at any time in the future.

When the news broke out there, everyone was saying "Disneyland is building a new resort on Bob Hope Drive." o_O

But the reality is far different. Disney is only about as involved in it as they are the Disney Store toy aisle at your local Target.
Good to know. I didn't know that. Either way, it sounds like a failure in this housing market. Disney will still be associated with it because their name is on it.

Tha Realest

I mean, who wouldn’t want to live in an overpriced and uninspired planned community brought to you by Gensler with tacky Disney accoutrements?
l

Cowboy Steve

As you may or may not have heard, DIS stock had closed today at it's lowest point in roughly 9 years at $82 a share.

If I remember correctly, in the last earnings call, theme park revenue was as high as ever but attendance was lower. However, we read complaints all the time of slow construction, bad maintenance, price gouging, lower quality products, no more originality / vision in crafting new experiences, bad CM treatment, etc etc.

In your opinion and your analysis, how much of the stock plummet has to do with the theme parks? WDW in particular since it is the worldwide hot spot compared to LA's Disneyland. Is it the only thing holding DIS from falling harder? How much longer do you think that'll last in the company's current direction?

Bonus challenge: Give us a bull case argument to invest in Disney right now lol

View attachment 739094
This is a powderkeg issue... with strong opinions all around. My opinion is it probably has little to do with the parks themselves. I would say the peeing match with Florida, the string of bombs at the box office, and the mass exodus of Disney+ subscribers are the main contributors. Disney as a brand has lost it's way worrying more about political issues than entertaining people.

Tha Realest

I don’t think the parks are a drag on the stock. Yet. I do think the softening numbers for reservations and attendance is slowing things, but the parks revenue is what’s keeping everything afloat. If that dips…

123mart123

I don’t think the parks are a drag on the stock. Yet. I do think the softening numbers for reservations and attendance is slowing things, but the parks revenue is what’s keeping everything afloat. If that dips…
Agree so far. But being the source of funds for the other parts of the business is hurting the parks. (eg all the cuts, nickel dining and price increases yielding an apparent negative guest reaction)

So…if LONG term viability of the company is to continue to flow cash from PR&E to other units, debt etc, then it will absolutely catch up to them.

Tha Realest

Agree so far. But being the source of funds for the other parts of the business is hurting the parks. (eg all the cuts, nickel dining and price increases yielding an apparent negative guest reaction)

So…if LONG term viability of the company is to continue to flow cash from PR&E to other units, debt etc, then it will absolutely catch up to them.
Oh I think it will, and I think it is. I also think the ATM is dwindling now, and D+ will not turn the profit we keep hearing they will next year. If trips slow down dramatically and D+ isn’t profitable next year, we’re in the $60-dollar price point territory

Miss Bella

I have no plans to go back to the WDW until they get rid of Genie+. It adds an extra 100 a day to our trip. I will still cruise on Disney. The Cruiseline is still a good fit for my family if the price is right on select cruises. Disneyland is also an option I am within a five-hour drive, and can stay offsite within walking distance using hotel points. It's a reasonable 3 day mini vacation.

The 7-day+ plus trip to WDW is off the table. The cost isn't worth it. When you can go to Europe for less money you know things are out of balance.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom