How much of the DIS stock plummet is related to the parks? In particular, WDW..

thomas998

I'm a little late to this party, but here are my (somewhat conspiracy?) responses to some above topics...

Disney has proactively alienated itself from a lot of people. I have a mixed politics family, and a mixed politics friends group, and there are more than ever that hate Disney. Like, wacky level hate. Now, I'm not saying who is right and wrong, but I am saying that seems like a lot of unnecessary Hate. Hate is not a good thing for your brand.

Any economic recovery will not be enjoyed by the rank-and-file Americans. like trickle-down has taught us, only the top 20% (10%?) will enjoy it. A little bump up to the economy is not going to get regular people back to the park. This is assuming this is even a problem; the last few times I was at the park, they were busting at the seams with seas of people.

Oil prices? I have lots of opinions on this, but let's just say my electric car is great. Runs on coal I suppose, lol, and there is no shortage of that. ...and U.S. Powerplants are uber efficient. Less emissions running my coal car than running a gas vehicle. ....overall, after 5 years. Lithium batteries are stinky to make, but break even after 4-5 years. I do advise everyone who has 2 or more vehicles in their home fleet, get an electric. I've had one brand or another for the last 10 years.

Our biggest powder keg in this country is not energy prices, food prices, or even car prices. It is housing prices. The 1% are mercilessly stripping the wealth from the middle class by shifting ownership from commercial to residential real estate. Good luck making a trip to WDW when you have a $4500 mortgage. Housing prices up 300%. Income up 8% (for the first 80%)? Yeaaaaaaaa, that's not sustainable. I am of course referring to housing markets where there are jobs. Sure, you can still get a good deal out in the hillbilly woods, but that's not what the populace needs. I mean, I would like a house out with the hillbillys, but that's not the point.

Some of this is fact, some opinion, some conspiracy, all mixed together. Don't take anything for fact without integrating your own observations. :p
Charging your car from empty using coal power puts the equivalent co2 in the air as 4 gallons of gasoline in a car. So in that respect if your goal is reducing co2 you are ahead... the place where you fail is the mining for lithium to make the batteries. It doesn't just require insane amount of energy to mine, but also takes up lots of water... worst of all it is done in countries where they don't really give a flip about the environment so in the end you probably screw up the world more with a EV than you would in an efficient ICE car. Best proxy for determining the amount of resources used to make a car is the price of the car excluding any tax subsidies. Given EVs cost more than ICE that gives a good idea of the greater resources that go in on the front end.

The biggest failure of Disney is they should have paid attention to Michael Jordan when was getting hit up to endorse political candidates... He wouldn't do it because he knew endorsing one side or the other would only alienate half his fans... Disney should have understood that. Now they face the same problem Bud Light faced... They upset one group and if they backtrack they upset the other group they were trying to court... damned if they do and damned if they don't. We've all seen how Bud light has killed itself with no real hope of recovery... that is where Disney is headed if they don't do something drastic like dump Iger and any agenda pushing Board members. I still have shares of Disney but I sometimes think I probably should have dumped them when Disney started marching down the virtue signaling path.

John park hopper

As far as lithium is concerned the US produces very little and relies on foreign countries to produce which adds to our trade deficit. But I guess that is okay let others destroy their environment the old NIMB-not in my back yard mentality

"Australia and Chile: Dominating Global Lithium Supply
Australia and Chile stand out as the top producers of lithium, accounting for almost 77% of the global production in 2022.

Rank Country Mine production 2022E (tonnes) Share (%)
1 🇦🇺 Australia 61,000 46.9%
2 🇨🇱 Chile 39,000 30.0%
3 🇨🇳 China 19,000 14.6%
4 🇦🇷 Argentina 6,200 4.8%
5 🇧🇷 Brazil 2,200 1.7%
6 🇿🇼 Zimbabwe 800 0.6%
7 🇵🇹 Portugal 600 0.5%
8 🇨🇦 Canada 500 0.4%
🌎 Other countries* 700 0.5%
🌐 World Total 130,000 100.0%"

jloucks

The biggest failure of Disney is they should have paid attention to Michael Jordan when was getting hit up to endorse political candidates... He wouldn't do it because he knew endorsing one side or the other would only alienate half his fans... Disney should have understood that. Now they face the same problem Bud Light faced... They upset one group and if they backtrack they upset the other group they were trying to court... damned if they do and damned if they don't. We've all seen how Bud light has killed itself with no real hope of recovery... that is where Disney is headed if they don't do something drastic like dump Iger and any agenda pushing Board members. I still have shares of Disney but I sometimes think I probably should have dumped them when Disney started marching down the virtue signaling path.
pysdnga.jpg

Disstevefan1

Chapek knew this and when he tried to keep TWDC out of it, he was forced to make his now famous hostage tape and he got fired for his trouble.

Disstevefan1

Charging your car from empty using coal power puts the equivalent co2 in the air as 4 gallons of gasoline in a car. So in that respect if your goal is reducing co2 you are ahead... the place where you fail is the mining for lithium to make the batteries. It doesn't just require insane amount of energy to mine, but also takes up lots of water... worst of all it is done in countries where they don't really give a flip about the environment so in the end you probably screw up the world more with a EV than you would in an efficient ICE car. Best proxy for determining the amount of resources used to make a car is the price of the car excluding any tax subsidies. Given EVs cost more than ICE that gives a good idea of the greater resources that go in on the front end.

A trophy for each paragraph :)
Trophy.png
Trophy.png

Splash4eva

Chapek knew this and when he tried to keep TWDC out of it, he was forced to make his now famous hostage tape and he got fired for his trouble.
He was not forced nor was TWDC forced. They chose to cave like other companies did on some of these matters & now it has become part of the many issues they currently have small, medium & large….

Lilofan

You know when American beer quality is suspect when the Mexican beer Modelo took over the top spot over Bud Light.

Disstevefan1

He was not forced nor was TWDC forced. They chose to cave like other companies did on some of these matters & now it has become part of the many issues they currently have small, medium & large….
Chapek was forced because TWDC chose to cave and that is why we saw the flip flop by Chapek.
Initially Chapek wanted to stay out of it and was told to get in line with the "caved" Disney company.

Splash4eva

Yes and also the cast got very upset on this.
I dont know which cast you are referring to but ill say this and leave it here bc i dont want this to go off the grid & get back on this but there definitely were cast members that were not happy about the stance they took and the distractions it was causing….

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom