How much of the DIS stock plummet is related to the parks? In particular, WDW..

Fordlover

I have no plans to go back to the WDW until they get rid of Genie+. It adds an extra 100 a day to our trip. I will still cruise on Disney. The Cruiseline is still a good fit for my family if the price is right on select cruises. Disneyland is also an option I am within a five-hour drive, and can stay offsite within walking distance using hotel points. It's a reasonable 3 day mini vacation.

The 7-day+ plus trip to WDW is off the table. The cost isn't worth it. When you can go to Europe for less money you know things are out of balance.
This is my perspective as well regarding WDW trips. Not going to happen until I see changes. The upside is it forces us to look at alternative vacation destinations, and we've enjoyed trips to places we wouldn't normally have considered, arguably enjoyed more than WDW trip, and had a more relaxed (restful) pace, and in all cases spent a range of money from equivalent money to far less.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
IMHO we're still doing multiple week vacations in WDW and don't see most of European destinations as a viable alternative (unless you're way off the beaten path), as your still immersed in inescapable crowds.

Miss Bella

IMHO we're still doing multiple week vacations in WDW and don't see most of European destinations as a viable alternative (unless you're way off the beaten path), as your still immersed in inescapable crowds.
I'm not sure what you mean by inescapable crowds. I've gone to Europe the last two summers and I haven't waited in line for anything. Museums can be crowded, but most of the time they are free or very cheap and I'm doing and seeing something new.

NickMaio

As you may or may not have heard, DIS stock had closed today at it's lowest point in roughly 9 years at $82 a share.

If I remember correctly, in the last earnings call, theme park revenue was as high as ever but attendance was lower. However, we read complaints all the time of slow construction, bad maintenance, price gouging, lower quality products, no more originality / vision in crafting new experiences, bad CM treatment, etc etc.

In your opinion and your analysis, how much of the stock plummet has to do with the theme parks? WDW in particular since it is the worldwide hot spot compared to LA's Disneyland. Is it the only thing holding DIS from falling harder? How much longer do you think that'll last in the company's current direction?

Bonus challenge: Give us a bull case argument to invest in Disney right now lol

View attachment 739094
I think their theme parks is the one thing keeping them a float.
Movies and ESPN are killing them.

Vegas Disney Fan

I found London unbearable last week, it was amazing walking around in the morning but by early afternoon it was wall to wall people everywhere we went, I loved London when we went in 2016 but this trip wasn’t nearly as fun due to the crowds.

Paris was just as incredible as I remembered though, it was busier than previous trips but not chaotic like London.

The highlight (by far) was Norway though, we spent hours just wandering around the little towns, hiking in the woods, hiking to waterfalls, etc… even Oslo was peaceful compared to London and Paris, I think Norway may be heaven on Earth and we’ll definitely be back to spend more time exploring it, Alaska first though, off the beaten path is definitely our preference also.

MAGICFLOP

This is my perspective as well regarding WDW trips. Not going to happen until I see changes. The upside is it forces us to look at alternative vacation destinations, and we've enjoyed trips to places we wouldn't normally have considered, arguably enjoyed more than WDW trip, and had a more relaxed (restful) pace, and in all cases spent a range of money from equivalent money to far less.
Yes, your sentiment is what too many others feel, not just the parks, but Movies, D+, ESPN ABC too.

Disney is in a world of hurt: Cable TV is dying and now a fraction of people have it, so that is killing ESPN and ABC viewership (throw in agenda as well) I cancelled DirectTV in 1995 when I found out $6 of my bill was for ESPN.

DIS stock has dropped their Market Cap to 146 Billion, if the M Cap drops below the sum of all their holdings, they could (theoretically) be bought and chopped up and sold off. Apple is sniffing around..

Jrb1979

Yes, your sentiment is what too many others feel, not just the parks, but Movies, D+, ESPN ABC too.

Disney is in a world of hurt: Cable TV is dying and now a fraction of people have it, so that is killing ESPN and ABC viewership (throw in agenda as well) I cancelled DirectTV in 1995 when I found out $6 of my bill was for ESPN.

DIS stock has dropped their Market Cap to 146 Billion, if the M Cap drops below the sum of all their holdings, they could (theoretically) be bought and chopped up and sold off. Apple is sniffing around..
Six Flags over Disney has a nice ring to it. Imagine MK with a bunch of exposed coaster track and screams filling the air.

Thepuma

I don't think the Parks have anything to do with Disney share prices going down...I only say that as the attendance in the parks isn't down- I see no evidence that it is.

What may be down is the restaurant and hotel booking side of things...but the parks are as busy as ever, so they are still coining it in on that side of things.

drizgirl

I don't think the Parks have anything to do with Disney share prices going down...I only say that as the attendance in the parks isn't down- I see no evidence that it is.

What may be down is the restaurant and hotel booking side of things...but the parks are as busy as ever, so they are still coining it in on that side of things.
It is impossible for an individual to know from observation if attendance is down. We do know they are offering resort discounts and potentially aren’t using some resort buildings, so resort bookings are likely down.

Nubs70

The parks have everything to do with the stock price... the parks are keeping the price where it is and not falling faster.

JusticeDisney

Six Flags over Disney has a nice ring to it. Imagine MK with a bunch of exposed coaster track and screams filling the air.
Why don’t you stop pretending that you are a WDW fan who is merely unhappy with how things are going and the current direction of the company? I mean, your exact quote to me was, “I just love watching the Mouse crumble.” It’s totally fine that you feel that way, but at least have the character to own that sentiment publicly and stop acting as if you think otherwise. There is nothing worse than a blatantly dishonest person.

ohioguy

Most of the issue is the loss of $$$ is due to streaming. All streaming services are suffering. This is why, across-the-board, you are seeing price increases everywhere. Even Apple finally caved and doubled their price.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Most of the issue is the loss of $$$ is due to streaming. All streaming services are suffering. This is why, across-the-board, you are seeing price increases everywhere. Even Apple finally caved and doubled their price.
So as long as debt laden masses of consumers pay increasing prices to the point they are as expensive -
Adjusted - as the cable packages they have gladly dumped…everything will work out peachy?

John park hopper

US government debt is at 33 trillion dollars (continues to print and give money away we don't have) and consumer debt is up from 16 trillion to over 17 trillion dollars so far for 2023. This level of debt IMO is unsustainable and the house of cards will eventually fall. When the house falls theme parks (WDW) will e the first to suffer. Possibly Iger sees this coming and is out to make as much money as he possibly can with his never ending price increases and skimping on upkeep and maintenance.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
US government debt is at 33 trillion dollars (continues to print and give money away we don't have) and consumer debt is up from 16 trillion to over 17 trillion dollars so far for 2023. This level of debt IMO is unsustainable and the house of cards will eventually fall. When the house falls theme parks (WDW) will e the first to suffer. Possibly Iger sees this coming and is out to make as much money as he possibly can with his never ending price increases and skimping on upkeep and maintenance.
Private debt is a TREMENDOUS problem for TWDC and specifically the parks…much more so than dusters can admit as it stands.

Government debt is a political football…so that’s not something that’s gonna go anywhere

Lilofan

He obviously is not enriching himself with shares in the company stock price. His net worth fell in recent years from $900M to his current $350M.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom