How much of the DIS stock plummet is related to the parks? In particular, WDW..

Miss Bella

That's bizarre, my experience with DCL has been exactly the opposite. We sailed in December 2020, April 2021, and July 2022 and it's one of the most "traditional" experiences I've had anywhere, Disney or otherwise. Everything was very "yes sir," "yes ma'am," pull out the chair and open napkins for the ladies, ladies order first, firm handshake and a "thank you" with the father at the end of the meal.
It is still is that way. The experience onboard doesn't have anything to do with the marketing survey they sent out. Let's not conflate the two. The marketing survey had absolutely nothing to do with the cruise.

Disstevefan1

I think the stock price falling is mostly due to the failing movie business and failing D+

Folks want to pile on and say WDW attendance is down, but they are making more money so that's all that matters to the shareholders and the fact is and their theme parks and cruise ships businesses are actually making money.

CaptainAmerica

I think the stock price falling is mostly due to the failing movie business and failing D+

Folks want to pile on and say WDW attendance is down, but they are making more money so that's all that matters to the shareholders and the fact is and their theme parks and cruise ships businesses are actually making money.
Correct.

The appropriate answer to the question posed in the thread title is "none whatsoever."

If anything, Parks performance is what's propping the stock up from falling even further.

123mart123

Correct.

The appropriate answer to the question posed in the thread title is "none whatsoever."

If anything, Parks performance is what's propping the stock up from falling even further.
It’s the last statement that should matter to the parks and resorts fans. The parks are the source of funds. Not a strategic investment of capital to the Disney leadership. And things are strained financially Overall.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I wonder if there is any legs at all to the rumors/suggestions/theories of Disney spinning off the parks/cruise lines into a separate business... it seems like (at least for now), the studios and Disney+ are what are bring everything down...

Disstevefan1

It’s the last statement that should matter to the parks and resorts fans. The parks are the source of funds. Not a strategic investment of capital to the Disney leadership. And things are strained financially Overall.
Well, yes, the financial strain on the company will probably result in less money invested in WDW.

That said, it does not matter the offerings at WDW, folks show up and spend money anyway.

Miss Bella

I wonder if there is any legs at all to the rumors/suggestions/theories of Disney spinning off the parks/cruise lines into a separate business... it seems like (at least for now), the studios and Disney+ are what are bring everything down...
I read some financial articles about Disney stock today. None of them listed Disney as a buy, but there were some suggestions to break up the stock.

Fordlover

The massive sucking sound of a money hole that D+ is on the rest of the company. No dividend is also reflective of a company that is not performing well, and dissuades new/more investors. And I believe the political bruhaha just causes people to take sides and retreat further to the corners, rather than make a stronger entertainment company.
Disclaimer: I am a disappointed Disney stock holder.

Miss Bella

What about Disney getting into real estate development? They are developing a huge community in Rancho Mirage, California for the 55+. My parents lived in Palm Desert so I'm familiar with the area. I'm not sure if this is a good investment in this economic environment.

Disstevefan1

The massive sucking sound of a money hole that D+ is on the rest of the company. No dividend is also reflective of a company that is not performing well, and dissuades new/more investors. And I believe the political bruhaha just causes people to take sides and retreat further to the corners, rather than make a stronger entertainment company.
Disclaimer: I am a disappointed Disney stock holder.
The losses in D+ every quarter (because it was clearly communicated) could possibly be tolerated IF their movie business is not on track to lose 1 BILLION dollars at the box office for 2023.

123mart123

The more people I talk to about WDW more than in the past are saying we are done with WDW
Same here. Friends used to be so enthusiastic about Disney. While expensive it was always worth it. They’d even get others to go…now they are very anti Disney.
They are not bored or worn out…they feel Disney is taking advantage of everyone. And it’s so complex and stressful to go now.
‘funny, once that vacation pattern breaks, it seems to break hard…because it took a lot to break it.

thomas998

I’m not sure how long they glide on that. I’ve seen the vast majority of diehard lifelong fans comeback with zero desire to return over the last few years. So far, they have not - meaning they canceled future planned trips and haven’t gone during their typical seasonal trips. They are in a new ‘vacation pattern”.

worse, they are not evangelizing the brand at All. They are actually telling very negative stories of the complexity, nickel and dime-ing and lines.

This is anecdotal evidence at best. But I think Disney has broken a healthy customer lifecycle “model”. return trips matter….or at least a strong desire to go back Is part of the allure and positive evangelizing that surrounded the brand For decades.
I suspect that they decided returns don't matter that much anymore. And the reality is at some point they would be correct. Remember they have a finite supply of tickets or rooms for any given day... the population of the country/world is continuing to grow... When WDW was created the total population of the US which was their original market was only 207 million... today it's over 330 million and they now court lots of the international travelers... So if they never build new parks eventually they reach a point where they don't need return customers, just rope in some new rubes each day and fleece them for all they have.

thomas998

The birth rate has dropped…in the places where they have the money to blow on Disney parks.

Not a hard concept here.

If you’re saying “everytime someone doesn’t go to Disney, there’s 5 to take their place”

…ok…I’ve heard it. It’s being disproven right now…but it’s an oldie
The fact that the parks continue to churn out more revenue each year says otherwise.

WishIWasRetired

No…what is says is they’re dangerously coming close to breaking their parks model
With price increases…

So that’s the game.
You’re not gonna like if if they “win”…or “lose”

I agree the only reason the parks are making money is because they raised ticket prices, charge for genie plus charge for ILL while eliminating perks like Disney Magical Express and using the park reservation system to minimally staff the parks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I agree the only reason the parks are making money is because they raised ticket prices, charge for genie plus charge for ILL while eliminating perks like Disney Magical Express and using the park reservation system to minimally staff the parks.
I don’t think that’s really it…

But yes…they did all of that too

Splash4eva

I don’t think they force the issue lol. If you prefer not to answer you can simply decline. Why get so angry?
Maybe answering that way and Disney realizing that the Majority of their guests dont want to deal with this non sense they will open their eyes and realize what they need to do going forward…

KeithVH

Sometimes I think, at least with D+, it's a questions of good money after bad. You'd think "why spend money and then not release?". But, at least with Captain Nemo, that's happening. See this.

Kinda sad. I would have watched that. But with the butchering going on at D+ right now, we'll be dropping our subscription next month. If I didn't know any better, I'd say that type of thinking is picking up more steam as we go along.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom