Haunted Mansion movie...WITHOUT EDDIE MURPHY!

lebeau

I was being a bit metaphorical. Times change, movie audiences change for better or worse. The magic happens in those rare instances a movie can transcend all the pitfalls. Ultimately though the blockbusters are aiming for the under 21 crowd. That is why a change was needed at Disney. And why Pixar has a great track record.

That has nothing whatsoever to do with Pixar's track record.

mrsdanalind

haunted mansion

Who is the hat box ghost? I've never heard of that one, the only one I can think of off the top of my head is Leota.
Dana from WI:confused:

devoy1701

If the movie's a Pirates-style smash, there could be other additions. But if the movie's a smash and the additions are well-done, who cares?

Getting upset about changes to the ride based on the announcement of a movie that may or may not ever be released is pretty silly.

everyone on this site reacts prematurely at times.... just look at the reaction that HP and FLE, and now Frontierland have had...

sheesh

Disneyson 1

The movie is going to have more than just one character...so saying that the only character they can add from the movie is Hatbox Ghost before you have seen the movie or the movie has even been MADE is a pretty bold and probably inaccurate statement.

Not saying they will add ANY characters...just saying that statement is wrong.

Very true, and perhaps I was to strongly worded, but from the fact that they make special mention of him in the article (remember, this is the first piece of information we've ever gotten of this movie), I assume he'll have quite a pivotal role in the movie.

I DO doubt that they'll add any other characters from the film, though, because Hatbox is the perfect character to add in that he won't cause fan arguments and may even improve the ride.

I'm not sure why Disney would add any other character, as that would more than likely spark a repeat of the PotC fiasco.

HM Spectre

Someone get Tim Burton on this. I would SO watch a Haunted Mansion movie by Tim Burton! :sohappy:

Burton is quirky and creative but Del Toro is also incredibly creative and is a better film maker overall. If you'd be excited to watch Burton put out a HM movie, wait until you see what Del Toro is capable of.

NMBC1993

Someone get Tim Burton on this. I would SO watch a Haunted Mansion movie by Tim Burton! :sohappy:

I personally think Del Toro would be a better match with a film about the Haunted Mansion, and that's coming from a huge Tim Burton fan. I personally think his last movie was just average (I hated Johnny Depp "hulking out" and becoming Mel Gibson from Braveheart) When you think of Del Toro you think of amazing creature design and strange characters which is what a film about the Haunted Mansion needs.

jt04

Burton already made Beetlejuice. Not the same, I know. But close enough. I'm more interested in what de Torro will do with it.

Agreed. Tim Burton needs to move on. Besides it appears he is doing Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp so that should be something else. :eek:

Testtrack321

I was being a bit metaphorical. Times change, movie audiences change for better or worse. The magic happens in those rare instances a movie can transcend all the pitfalls. Ultimately though the blockbusters are aiming for the under 21 crowd. That is why a change was needed at Disney. And why Pixar has a great track record.

Ah, sorry I read a little too literal meaning into what you said. Now I understand!

All they're doing is taking a good concept and expanding it into a story. I'm not sure what you find so wrong about that... at some point, everything just starts off as an idea to be built upon.

My core problem with the whole idea is that the HM works because it's illogical and mysterious. Adding story, names, and plot destroys mystery and confusion by default: story is explanation of what something is and isn't. The HM is such a great ride because nothing is stated. There's no rhyme or reason, the only implied statement in the whole attraction is the "My way" speech by the Ghost Host who implies that the hung body is his. Everything else falls under the trope of "it's scary and spooky stuff in a creepy house."

Nothing more, nothing less.

Ann.- Phantom Manor is, of course, the outlier here. Note also how in order to make up for the added story the visuals were made more gruesome and lost a bit of that mystery.

Disneyson 1

^Also, Madame Leota causes the spirits to be seen by "us mortals". The story of Constance, the bride, is also very clear that she executes all her husbands in order to gain their money. And of course the Hitchhiking Ghosts.

HM Spectre

My core problem with the whole idea is that the HM works because it's illogical and mysterious. Adding story, names, and plot destroys mystery and confusion by default: story is explanation of what something is and isn't. The HM is such a great ride because nothing is stated. There's no rhyme or reason, the only implied statement in the whole attraction is the "My way" speech by the Ghost Host who implies that the hung body is his. Everything else falls under the trope of "it's scary and spooky stuff in a creepy house."

I think that if they craft the story properly, it doesn't need to be something that ruins the mystery surrounding the HM. It's clear that Del Toro appreciates the foundation that has already been laid by the ride and usually, good directors will take from that and not create on their own, fill in the gaps or twist the original subject to fit their ideas. It's the same reason why the Hobbit project decided against filling in the gap between the Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings... it's dangerous territory to do that and it's best left alone.

I think the part they'll craft will be more about the human characters they introduce into the HM movie (if there even are any) but it's entirely possible to introduce those characters and yet keep the focus just as much on the HM itself and the mysterious/scary aspects of it as it is on the actors. If they do that largely use the new characters as a device to progress the movie through the mansion instead of explaining away everything about the mansion, I for one will love to see the finished product. As someone who has watched many scary/horror movies over the years, I believe it's entirely possible to do it and I trust that Guillermo Del Toro is more than capable.

jt04

Not a sheeple!

Ah, sorry I read a little too literal meaning into what you said. Now I understand!

Ann.- Phantom Manor is, of course, the outlier here. Note also how in order to make up for the added story the visuals were made more gruesome and lost a bit of that mystery.

I hate the word "outlier". Can we possibly swap it out for words such as original, unique, individual, free thinker, rebel, free spirit, diverse, non-conformist, free will, anti-group think, non-conformist or even freedom lover.

Outlier just does not work unless we are talking about Algore.

Disneyson 1

I mean, I wouldn't mind an explanation as to the connection of the Ghost Host, the hung man, the Hatbox, and Constance & Her Lovers, but other than that leave backstory alone, I think.

SirNim

I hope it'll be titled

The Haunted Mansion Too!

:lookaroun

But seriously. Very odd to return to a HM movie seven years later. That's a relatively short turnaround. Comically short, even. :lookaroun

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom