Haunted Mansion movie...WITHOUT EDDIE MURPHY!

jt04

I hope it'll be titled

The Haunted Mansion Too!

:lookaroun

But seriously. Very odd to return to a HM movie seven years later. That's a relatively short turnaround. Comically short, even. :lookaroun

Yeah, kinda like sending Spiderman back to high school. :shrug:

Or will it be Spiderboy this time. :rolleyes:

Martian Crab

I really WANTED to like the first movie. I took my kids to see it on its opening day; but it stunk! Eddie Murphy was annoying. The Ramsley character was obnoxious. And I hated how the house looked like no mansion from ANY park. In hindsight, I am glad this movie was a huge steaming pile because if it was popular I'm sure Disney would have shoved Eddie Murphy AAs into every Mansion like they did with Johnny Depp to the POTC rides. I also hate that lisping %!#%$$*, Wallace Shawn. Also, I don't think the Rick Baker zombies had any legitimate place in this movie, that aesthetic is too different from the Mansions in California and Florida and I felt it was out of place in this film. Rob Minkoff, you suck. You took something that had huge potential and made it into crap.

lebeau

Agreed. Tim Burton needs to move on. Besides it appears he is doing Dark Shadows with Johnny Depp so that should be something else. :eek:

That project has potential. I've never been a fan of DS (too young believe it or not). But vampires are hot. Depp and Burton are hot. I look forward to seeing it.

Xethis

Someone get Tim Burton on this. I would SO watch a Haunted Mansion movie by Tim Burton! :sohappy:
I am a huge Tim Burton fan, but after what he did to Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland I hope he never gets his hands on another classic again. He's far better at making his own classics: Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, etc. (and thats not a poke at Dragonrider 1227, just my thoughts). Burton is amazingly creative, and he has a gift for being one of the more prolific American fairy tale writers of the modern age. But again, he should focus on his own stories. In my opinion (and it's just that) when he uses pre-existing material, he falls short. His own ideas are always home runs. Yes, even Mars Attacks, lol.

As for the reboot of Haunted Mansion, I am more than excited.

As others said, I wanted to like the Eddie Murphy film so badly, but it just fell short. It had its moments and could have been worse, but not by much. The whole "butler did it" was old & tired, the mansions master wanting a bride was too like Liam Neeson's "The Hanuting", and Eddie Murphy took it from campy straight to cheesy. I like Jennifer Tilly as Leota, and Rick Baker's effects were a saving grace, as well as the nods to the ride, mostly. The singing bust on the luggage rack heading into the sunset was just too much.

As far as Del Toro handling it I think the film will be treated with a lot more respect and love, as he has a passion for it already. The depth he brought to Pan's Labyrinth was awesome to say the least, and I think his wanting to take the comedy out & stick closer to the 'mythology' of the ride is as good a starting point as anyone could ask for. I love the idea of showcasing the hitchhiking ghosts more, the hat-box ghost, and go more into the story of the black widow bride hopefully. Like someone else said also, maybe more of an insight into the hanging man, or where some of the other ghosts came from might be cool.

I for one am officially wearing my fanboy hat and will be watching this closely & suddenly don't feel nearly as bad about him leaving the Hobbit debacle.

muteki

The Haunted Mansion (the ride, that is) does have a plot, about the same as any other ride based on an original concept. What's there however is implied and not explicit, and is mostly reliant upon the observation skills/imagination of the rider to piece together. What is there is definitely plot, but to what degree and its interpretation is going to vary from rider to rider.

I appreciate the open-endness of the ride as much as anyone else, however a movie made just as vague would not make for a very good movie.

But seriously. Very odd to return to a HM movie seven years later. That's a relatively short turnaround. Comically short, even. :lookaroun

It's not a short turnaround if no one saw/remembers the first one :p

[And as much as I hate the art style of Tron Legacy, that trailer makes me really interested to see it.]

lebeau

I am a huge Tim Burton fan, but after what he did to Willy Wonka and Alice in Wonderland I hope he never gets his hands on another classic again. He's far better at making his own classics: Nightmare Before Christmas, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, etc. (and thats not a poke at Dragonrider 1227, just my thoughts). Burton is amazingly creative, and he has a gift for being one of the more prolific American fairy tale writers of the modern age. But again, he should focus on his own stories. In my opinion (and it's just that) when he uses pre-existing material, he falls short. His own ideas are always home runs. Yes, even Mars Attacks, lol.

I hated Mars Attaks. But other than that, I mostly agree with you. I liked Sweeney Todd though. And that was an adaptation. And his Batman films were all right. Even Sleepy Hollow had its fun parts.

I think part of the problem with Burton adapting other works is that it usually means it is a studio film. And that means his creativity gets reigned in. Or he's on a tight deadline. Look at the mess of Planet of the Apes. He stepped in at the last minute and you could tell.
[/quote]

As far as Del Toro handling it I think the film will be treated with a lot more respect and love, as he has a passion for it already.

That is an understatement! ;)

Evil Genius

I can't tell you how happy this news made me!

Del Toro is the perfect visionary/director to take on this project as his attention to detail, along with superb film making ability and creativity will allow him to really dig deep into the visiuals of the existing attraction and put his fantastic spin on them!

As far as the ride not having a true "story"...no it doesn't have a cohesive one. But I really don't think that has anything to do with the quality of a film based on the attraction. Or vice versa.

I'd go into a longer explanation to my reasoning, but I'm out the door in a few minutes and don't have time...maybe I'll revisit this post.

imagineer boy

I can't believe it, this news makes me so happy!!!!! :sohappy::sohappy:

And especially with Del Toro at the helm, there's no way this could go wrong.

I really WANTED to like the first movie. I took my kids to see it on its opening day; but it stunk! Eddie Murphy was annoying. The Ramsley character was obnoxious. And I hated how the house looked like no mansion from ANY park. In hindsight, I am glad this movie was a huge steaming pile because if it was popular I'm sure Disney would have shoved Eddie Murphy AAs into every Mansion like they did with Johnny Depp to the POTC rides. I also hate that lisping %!#%$$*, Wallace Shawn. Also, I don't think the Rick Baker zombies had any legitimate place in this movie, that aesthetic is too different from the Mansions in California and Florida and I felt it was out of place in this film. Rob Minkoff, you suck. You took something that had huge potential and made it into crap.

Agreed! I wanted to love the movie soooo much, but when the Nelly rap music started playing during the credits I felt like I had been slapped in the face!

And why Wallace Shawn?! He completely doesn't belong in a movie about the Haunted Mansion. And when he poorly delivered the Ghost Host's "There's always my way" line I felt so angry. :mad: :lol:

imagineer boy

I don't hate Wallace Shawn (he's the only voice for Rex in my mind) I just think he was extremely mis-cast in the movie. I remember watching it and thinking "what is the voice of Rex doing there?!" :lol:

Gosh I was so angry when the last HM movie ended up being a disapointment. I really hope this one works out.

lebeau

I don't know who that is.

Watch the Princess Bride. You'll thank me.

I don't hate Wallace Shawn (he's the only voice for Rex in my mind) I just think he was extremely mis-cast in the movie. I remember watching it and thinking "what is the voice of Rex doing there?!"

Gosh I was so angry when the last HM movie ended up being a disapointment. I really hope this one works out.

I barely remember the Murphy movie. I didn't want to see it. But my wife had it in her head her nephew would like it. (He didn't.) So we eventually had to rent it. At the time, I had yet to discover my love of WDW. So, I wasn't overly annoyed. Just bored.

imagineer boy

I remember what really ticked me off about the last version was how they kept going on about how there was a "curse" on the mansion. And they keep telling Eddie Murphey how to break it. What curse!? Who made this curse? How did this curse come about? Who made the rules for it? It annoyed me so much.

And then at the end the Devil appears and he's like "Oh yeah, might as well drag Ramsley to hell because he's evil and all. Could've done it years ago, but I didn't feel like it then. Oh well, down with me you go Ramsley!"

And seriously, how cliche is it to have the butler end up being the murderer!? That's like the revelation of any murder mystery novel.

I hated the last movie. Can you tell? :lol:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom