Harry Potter IS making a difference!!

DisneyJoe

ALL of my clients that have made the side trip to Universal for a day or two said it (WWoHP) was really well done, and they enjoyed it completely - as well as enjoying other parts of Universal - but they have no desire to go back anytime soon - yet most are already planning their next Disney vacation.

Buried20KLeague

My aunt n uncle live right around there. They have lived there for 4 years. First 3 years they had a WDW Annual Pass. This year wanted to do something different with a Uni Annual Pass. My Aunt said she would never do it again. Most if her neighbors have warned her too, but she didn't listen. She said it became so old, so fast. They all LOVE harry potter books/movies. She said it was very cool looking, but they saw it a few times and was bored of it. Universal will never have the replay value that Disney has. We went last June, and after we went for half a day at Universal, we said "Ya know, I dont have to go there for 5 more years". It's boring. It doesnt have that Magical feel that Disney has. we can go to Disney twice a year, and we never get tired of it. So much more to do and see in WDW

This pretty much encapsulates why Disney isn't rushing to do ANYTHING these days. They know full well that people like this will keep coming, regardless.

This view is part of the problem.

Although I think it might be a "tall order" to believe that neighbors even warned her not to get a UNI AP.

"NO! The place is horrible!!! You won't have any fun at all!" :rolleyes:

I've got no problem with WDW trading off people's nostalgia TO A POINT. They've earned that. But the problem is they are relying more and more heavily on that, and less on innovation and new product. There will be a tipping point. And I'm wondering if we're getting close to it, as more and more people seem to wake up to reality.

parkgoer

To be honest, I think the only thing that Disney could actually gain steam with is a new park, because the rest doesn't seem to measure up in the eyes of the public to HPW.

I have similar thoughts as well. IMO Harry Potter has been huge for a while now. I don't think Disney has any single product quite as popular as harry potter. This is just my opinon too, but I feel Disney's strongest products right now are Toy Story, and maybe POTC, and I don't think either by itself is more popular that HP. I also think alot of the Disney popularity is marketing hype, whereas HP has die hard fans. If Disney really wants to steal the attention from HP, they need something to surpass it, and I don't think FLE will do it.

Buried20KLeague

I have similar thoughts as well. IMO Harry Potter has been huge for a while now. I don't think Disney has any single product quite as popular as harry potter. This is just my opinon too, but I feel Disney's strongest products right now are Toy Story, and maybe POTC, and I don't think either by itself is more popular that HP. If Disney really wants to steal the attention from HP, they need something to surpass it, and I don't think FLE will do it.

I think an entire Star Wars land would do it.

But it ain't gonna happen...

Thurp

The people who say they won't return to Universal is because they haven't built memories there yet. They don't have a major emotional attachment to the resort.

The more you go to a park, the more experiences and memories that you create. It's those memories, that nostalgia and fun times you remember that will make you want to come back. Heck, the latest marketing gimmick is based on that simple premise.

I'm just hoping that Universal continues to lure visitors back to their parks. Maybe a 2nd visit for Potter fanatics, maybe an expansion to the Potterverse. The more times people visit, the more that they will feel an emotional attachment to those parks.

Universal has shown what it can do, I just hope they don't stop. They need to build on this momentum.

And now I hope that Disney sees what quality does for the bottom line. They seem to have forgotten about it. And they will hopefully try to fight back.

And then guests will win.

Testtrack321

Only two things I believe to be true.

1.) More people to Orlando is better for everyone (maybe not BGT).

2.) People are going for Potter, not for Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios.

Other than that, lets hope Iger wakes up some and pushes through attractions and shows to really wow the crowd again.

Thurp

2.) People are going for Potter, not for Islands of Adventure or Universal Studios.

Of course! Kind of like when people will return to WDW when the Fantasyland Expansion is open. People flock to see new things.

Except that when people go to Universal for the first time, they will discover other, new to them, attractions. And that that point, Universal will gain some new followers. Not everyone of course, but they will gain new fans. Spiderman, Mummy, MIB, just to name a few, are excellent attractions on their own.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm a Universal fanboy. I love their product and I visit often.

But I want Disney to have some real competition and wake up. I'm a Disney fan, and the livelihood of my family comes in no small part directly from the mouse.

DisneyDad53

Keep in mind in the past few years, even though we have been experiencing a massive recession, Disney has been making massive expenditures. Spending in a recession is a lot cheaper than spending in a booming economy.
1. Purchasing Marvel
2. Going forward with 2 major expansions (Fantasyland in FL and California Adventure in California)
3. And lets not forget the research and development of the mostly unseen Billion-dollar Next-Get project.
4. Overhaul of the DIsney stores.

Good things are on the horizon. A competitor creating a great attraction doesn't pull people away from WDW so much as bring tourists to Central Florida, many of whom will also visit WDW.

That being said, the largest expansion in WDW history based around an omnimover of a 20 year old film is not necessarily the best decision in my opinion.

bjlc57

This pretty much encapsulates why Disney isn't rushing to do ANYTHING these days. They know full well that people like this will keep coming, regardless.

I've got no problem with WDW trading off people's nostalgia TO A POINT. They've earned that. But the problem is they are relying more and more heavily on that, and less on innovation and new product. There will be a tipping point. And I'm wondering if we're getting close to it, as more and more people seem to wake up to reality.

I can tell you this : the tipping point is upon us.. and two... No people WILL NOT KEEP COMING REGARDLESS.

there are numerous places that have gone out of business.

GIMBALS.. The Brown Derby... almost any of the original hotels in Las Vegas,

the list goes on and on..

this CAN HAPPEN TO DISNEY.. and if they continue on their current path,

IT WILL HAPPEN TO WALT DISNEY WORLD.

and one day, it will be an after thought.." Hey remember when we used to go to ........................."

this is one time not to defend the Rhelm.. this is getting to be the time to start calling for massive change , if not screaming for change ..

because if those go unheeded, the call for panic will be too late..

rpk4444

First and foremost, I love WDW and hope that HP is the wake-up call that Disney needs.
I do think that HP will eventually fizzle out. And I do think that Disney needs to fix the parks that they already have and not think about a 5th gate.

In my eyes the park that needs the most attention is DHS. It really doesn't have an identity anymore since it's not a working studio. Anything addd to Pixar Place would be great but, changing old attractions makes more sense. How old is the "Honey I shunk" series? I'm willing to bet that all of the kids that play in there daily have never seen any of the movies.
Also, get rid of "Sounds Danagerous". Does that connect with anyone? Even if it's open.
Maybe they are waiting for the "American Idol" series to tank (which it will) and they can use that whole area for a major attraction.

slappy magoo

Just wanted to say, I read each page of this thread, and each time I clicked to the next page, the ad at either the top or the bottom of the page was for Harry Potter at Uni...

clearly, if they need to advertise THAT much on a WDW site, it can't possibly be doing so well...

:ROFLOL:

epcotWSC

To me the two key parks that need work are DHS & Epcot. I think that AK doesn't have as big of an appeal as an amusement park as those two.

DHS has so much potential it's unreal. I wish that they'd realize it.

DisneyJoe

Just wanted to say, I read each page of this thread, and each time I clicked to the next page, the ad at either the top or the bottom of the page was for Harry Potter at Uni...

clearly, if they need to advertise THAT much on a WDW site, it can't possibly be doing so well...

If Google is serving the ads, they are based on the content of the pages, so that would be appropriate for this thread...

fosse76

As for Potter, I'm sure around the time FLE is ready to open Uni will unveil the plans for the PotterLand expansion. The Potter area will have longevity for 5-10 years and then it will die just like Jurassic Park unless more books/movies revive the franchise. Uni needs to be extremely careful or they may be putting too many eggs in one basket. In 15 years, they could be left with aging franchises (especially if Potter ends up being almost 1/3 of the park) and no Marvel in the parks.

Disney's signature attraction in the FLE is based on a 21 year-old movie. And ALL hype dies down. Jurassic Park is still pretty popular when I've been to IOA. It died only insomuch that Universal hasn't been great at upkeep.

Harry Potter is no Star Wars.
According to you. Harry Potter's lasting impact remains to be seen.

The sad thing is, Uni has done HP well while Disney is wasting their opportunity with Star Wars.
I agree. People on this site get giddy at nonsensical "fixes". The general public isn't going to know or care about the "new" Star Tours. A refurbed Space Mountain...even IF it had been completely re-tracked, isn't going to increase attendance (it might increase the lines at that attraction, but not the gate where it counts). Even the FLE pales in comparison to what Universal did with Harry Potter, though it's desparately needed.

I'm also surprised Uni isn't mirroring the Transformers attraction for their parks here in Florida. HP is great, but they need to continue to keep the parks fresh and diverse.
Do they have the license for Florida? I don't know if they should mirror it, but they definitely can do something.

MarkTwain

I can tell you this : the tipping point is upon us.. and two... No people WILL NOT KEEP COMING REGARDLESS.

there are numerous places that have gone out of business.

GIMBALS.. The Brown Derby... almost any of the original hotels in Las Vegas,

the list goes on and on..

this CAN HAPPEN TO DISNEY.. and if they continue on their current path,

IT WILL HAPPEN TO WALT DISNEY WORLD.

and one day, it will be an after thought.." Hey remember when we used to go to ........................."

this is one time not to defend the Rhelm.. this is getting to be the time to start calling for massive change , if not screaming for change ..

because if those go unheeded, the call for panic will be too late..

That's an alarming thought, but then I thought about Tavern on the Green, and realized you're right. :( What was once "the second highest-grossing independently-owned restaurant in the United States" (according to Wikipedia) and one of, if not the most iconic restaurant in New York City, declared bankruptcy last year and has since closed for business. That just shows that no business is immune to financial failure, no matter how successful... especially if that business continues to constantly raise prices despite a stagnant or declining product, or refuses to acknowledge the competition's increasing standards and popularity with new offerings. It certainly makes sense that more and more people, even the diehard fans, will gradually realize that WDW has not changed since their last visit, and will eventually discover and more frequently visit competition parks like Universal.

jmmc

I always find these kinds of threads interesting...

I'm very interested in seeing what the Harry Potter area of Universal is like. I am a big fan of WDW, but I'm sure when I next head to Orlando, I will go and see the mini-park and the ride. It looks to be very well done and I like the films. But I'm still going to return to Disney after that.

I believe that having some competition is not a bad thing. But I don't understand the people that start thinking if every single thing at Disney isn't better than everything at Universal, attendance will drop and Disney will be in big trouble. I don't know what kind of trouble. They're not going to shut down the park. You can still spend more time at WDW than you can at Universal. HP will be a draw but WDW is still going to be the king, even if they are, well less of the king... or make up an analogy better than my own. :)

I guess I'm just saying that a major new attraction that will draw people to Universal isn't some kind of disaster for Disney. Are we really thinking that once people visit there to see one new attraction, they'll decide to never go back to Disney?

Thrill

The last thing WDW needs is a new theme park. What they need to do is seriously invest in upgrading each park that they have now, creating new attractions and refurbing their current attractions. The fantasyland expansion is a great first start, but it will in no way fix the problems that they have. No more of this meet and greet garbage. Lets focus on creating exciting new attractions that have broad appeal.

I was going to say something like this, but it's easier to just quote it. XD

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom