Harry Potter IS making a difference!!

Lee

Adventurer
2013, NO ONE will talk about Potter. It'll be a bored island that loses it's excitement. Besides it losing it's excitement, FLE will then dominate and bring a ton of fans again.

Seriously? Not a chance.
By 2013 Potter will be nearly twice the size it is now (or well on it's way), and still rolling. FJ will still be a better attraction than anything Disney has built in the last decade, and Potter merch will still be selling like crazy.

FLE dominate? That's funny. FLE isn't going to dominate anything but perhaps the Guinness record for most strollers in one place.

GLaDOS

Seriously? Not a chance.
By 2013 Potter will be nearly twice the size it is now (or well on it's way), and still rolling. FJ will still be a better attraction than anything Disney has built in the last decade, and Potter merch will still be selling like crazy.

FLE dominate? That's funny. FLE isn't going to dominate anything but perhaps the Guinness record for most strollers in one place.

Very nice post, sir.:wave: Glad to hear the Potter expansion is still looking like a defiite.

FLE will be very nice, however. No doubt about that one.

slappy magoo

It's not drinkin any Disney Kool Aid. It's the fact that I feel how many people I know feel. Many friends I know aren't even big Disney fans enough to go to WDW as much as my family has. But they have all agreed, WDW is a much better park, that's well maintained, nicer cast members, more attractions, more stuff to do. I don't hate Universal at all, my whole family likes Universal. My Aunt said it was a good time. She, like all my friends and family, say Disney is superior. It will always be the superior park. That is why Disney is never rushed to top Universal. 2013, NO ONE will talk about Potter. It'll be a bored island that loses it's excitement. Besides it losing it's excitement, FLE will then dominate and bring a ton of fans again. Again, I will say, Disney does need updates (New section in AK, or HS. maybe just a couple new Big rides). But, It's still an awesome resort, and even when they aren't rushing to things, they still bring millions in every year. They will get to new things, just be patient!

If someone told me this post had been written by Lazlo Toth, I'd find it very easy to believe.
FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT! I'M WITH YOU!

Testtrack321

Of course! Kind of like when people will return to WDW when the Fantasyland Expansion is open. People flock to see new things.

Except that when people go to Universal for the first time, they will discover other, new to them, attractions. And that that point, Universal will gain some new followers. Not everyone of course, but they will gain new fans. Spiderman, Mummy, MIB, just to name a few, are excellent attractions on their own.

I don't want to make it sound like I'm a Universal fanboy. I love their product and I visit often.

But I want Disney to have some real competition and wake up. I'm a Disney fan, and the livelihood of my family comes in no small part directly from the mouse.

Yes, I imagine all the families looking for the Harry Potter park will be thrilled to see stuff based on old cartoon strip characters, Terminator, Jurassic Park, Woody Woodpecker, ET, and other relevant entertainment...

Dznycrzy

Isn't all this just the ebb and flow of this industry? One company looking to improve their business...the other company sees competition and improves their business. The process goes on and on. So what do you get? Better parks, more creative rides, more visitors,etc. In the end everyone benefits.

Is either company on their way out? No way! They are both just growing.

xsupaxmanxsfnex

Am I the only one that actually doesn't like Universal? I think their parks are pretty tacky and fall so short to other theme parks I've been to. Yeah, the Wizarding World is very new and exciting but the rest is only worth going to once for the coaster credits. Just didn't do much for me. I would much rather spend my money at Disney.

JustInTime

Just a my opinion on the Potter effect...

Almost 14 years later, this thing is NOT slowing down ANYTIME soon. A lot of people say it's too early to tell, but I consider the series a modern classic.

And I have heard from a few sources that the franchise will NOT be dying out anytime soon. I know for a fact that after Hallows part 2 comes out, WB will start re-releasing the films in 3D, starting with the 1st year. Perhaps with new footage. There are also talks of turning Beetle Bard in to a movie.

As for Rowling, she has publicly stated that she is fast at work on the "Hogwarts, A History" book...an ultimate collection of untold potter tidbits...

The Wizarding World will be expanded.

And finally, (who knows when) we will be getting Hogwarts Online. A Massive Multiplayer Online Game where you too can become a student at Hogwarts.

All of these things can EASILY carry the series into the nest 10 years and keep the spotlight on the series. But I really, really don't think it's gonna need it. It could hold it's own.

Wilt Dasney

I guess it's all about perception, but when I look at HP, I see all the classic elements of a timeless story. The series draws on a deep well of mythic allusions, and it's in no way a stretch to compare the storytelling to LotR or Star Wars in my mind.

For anyone who finds that hard to accept, check out Joseph Campell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" for a scholarly look at the ingredients that have defined epic storytelling since the beginning of civilization, and see how much of it pops up in HP.

Even though my own interest in the series has waned over time, I still don't see it as anything close to a "fad" franchise. I think HP will still matter 50 years from now. :shrug:

GLaDOS

Just a my opinion on the Potter effect...

Almost 14 years later, this thing is NOT slowing down ANYTIME soon. A lot of people say it's too early to tell, but I consider the series a modern classic.

And I have heard from a few sources that the franchise will NOT be dying out anytime soon. I know for a fact that after Hallows part 2 comes out, WB will start re-releasing the films in 3D, starting with the 1st year. Perhaps with new footage. There are also talks of turning Beetle Bard in to a movie.

As for Rowling, she has publicly stated that she is fast at work on the "Hogwarts, A History" book...an ultimate collection of untold potter tidbits...

The Wizarding World will be expanded.

And finally, (who knows when) we will be getting Hogwarts Online. A Massive Multiplayer Online Game where you too can become a student at Hogwarts.

All of these things can EASILY carry the series into the nest 10 years and keep the spotlight on the series. But I really, really don't think it's gonna need it. It could hold it's own.

Rowling has also recently said she has not in any way ruled out writing more books in the Universe, though they will not be about Harry. Still, she has recently said that she could write 3 more books, at least.

I guess it's all about perception, but when I look at HP, I see all the classic elements of a timeless story. The series draws on a deep well of mythic allusions, and it's in no way a stretch to compare the storytelling to LotR or Star Wars in my mind.

For anyone who finds that hard to accept, check out Joseph Campell's "The Hero with a Thousand Faces" for a scholarly look at the ingredients that have defined epic storytelling since the beginning of civilization, and see how much of it pops up in HP.

Yup. Very nice book there. And you're not stretching the truth by comparing them to Star Wars and LotR.

Just look at Harry's journey through the books, and Luke's journey to becoming a Jedi and fulfilling his destiny, and they're almost brothers from a different time and place.

JustInTime

Rowling has also recently said she has not in any way ruled out writing more books in the Universe, though they will not be about Harry. Still, she has recently said that she could write 3 more books, at least.

I almost added that. I saw that Oprah episode! ;)

Btw, If she does another 3, I would wanted one to be about the founders, one about his parents and I would want one sometime in the future when Magic folk live openly in the real world. I would love to see the global struggle with Wizard acceptance and the fight for equal rights.

GLaDOS

I almost added that. I saw that Oprah episode! ;)

Btw, If she does another 3, I would wanted one to be about the founders, one about his parents and I would want one sometime in the future when Magic folk live openly in the real world. I would love to see the global struggle with Wizard acceptance and the fight for equal rights.

Personally, I think she could easily write 6 books, and here would be my break down:

2 about Dumbloredore

2 or 3 about the First Wizarding War

And one or two about the founders of Hogwarts.

:D

JimboJones123

I'd rather they invest in the current parks. I don't think there's a demand for a new park right now.

Unfortunately there are so many problems for expanding the Animal Kingdom. The park is so well themed that any expansion would have to be a major one.
  • An expansion that replaces Camp Minnie Mickey would require the relocation of Festival of the Lion King
  • Access to the large expansion pad by Asia requires reworking of the Maharajah Jungle Trek and/or the Wildlife Express Train
  • Expansion near Finding Nemo the Musical requires moving an access road and/or demoing Dino-Rama

I thought the same thing when I read this. Fixing a major show element is something that should simply be done. It's not something that should be done to boost attendance.

I highly doubt Lego Land will affect Disney World at all.

If you want to call Harry Potter a "Flash in the Pan", you may be accurate from a merchandise standpoint. I don't think any franchise can maintain the pace of merchandise sales that IOA is pulling in at The Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Having said that, so much of that merchandise is Theme Park specific, and Disney has shied away from that in recent years. Much of the merchandise that's available in the theme park shops is generic merchandise that can be found in local Wal-Mart's.

From an attraction standpoint, I anticipate an expansion to IOA in the form of a Harry Potter expansion as well as the addition of another major franchise (Avatar or Lord of the Rings). If these expansions are anchored by attractions that rival the quality of Forbidden Journey as well as Theme Park exclusive merchandise Universal will become stronger. They recognized the need for change, and are starting to adhere to the John Lasseter mantra, "quality is a hell of a business plan."

This brings about what is actually needed in each of the parks. I've done lists like this before, but I'll do it again:

Magic Kingdom
  • Fantasyland Expansion was definitely needed. The fact that they changed out the Meet and Greets for a major attraction (Snow White) is a very good thing.
  • Snow White's Scary Adventures needs to remain as a location for a dark ride. Sure, I'd love for them to gut both SWSA and Winnie the Pooh to make a version of Pooh's Hunny Hunt, but realistically SWSA just needs to be rethemed to a new franchise
  • New Meet and Greets for the Princesses and Fairies. One possible location is the Fantasyland Skyway building
  • Expand the walkway between Fantasyland and Liberty Square
  • Re-work the layout for the Speedway, Convert to Electric Cars
  • Replace Stitch's Great Escape, and possible utilize additional space in either Merchant of Venice or Mickey's Star Traders
  • Make the Enchanted Tiki Room a Dinner Show
Epcot
  • Build off the beaten path Convention areas like Millinium Village so that prime real estate like The Odyssey and Wonders of Life can be better utlized
  • Close the Imagination! Pavilion and re-open with a brand new ride and ride system, ideally using the Hunny Hunt tech (are you noticing a trend here?)
  • Add a table service restaurant to The American Adventure pavilion that features specialties from all over the country (New England Clam Chowder, St. Louis Ribs, New Orleans Cajun Food, etc)
  • E-Ticket added to World Showcase
  • Replacement to Ellen's Energy Adventure and Wonders of Life
  • Ability to see end of ride videos of other vehicles during Spaceship Earth Descent. I'd also like to have Judy Dench's narration synced up properly for the grand reveal of planet Earth. On the Jeremy Irons narration he hit the line, "on this, our Spaceship Earth" right as the Earth was revealed.
  • File this one under never gonna happen: Change the entrance of Soarin' to somewhere between Canada and Showcase Plaza when Soarin' Over the World arrives. Also, if they can come up with a clearer video for Soarin' Over the World that would obviously be an improvement as well.
Hollywood Studios
  • Clearly define the "Lands" of the park
  • Pixar Place expansion is obvious, and likely already in the works with a Monster's Inc Coaster and Carsland expansion towards the end of the decade
  • Move "Pizza Planet" to Pixar Place
  • Honey I Shrunk the Kids playset changed to A Bugs Life playset
  • Removal of the Backlot Tour
  • Expansion of the Animation Courtyard, perhaps at the cost of the Animation Tour and Voyage of the Little Mermaid. There are expansion pads behind the Animation Tour building.
  • Connect the Animation Courtyard and Sunset Boulevard
  • Relocation/removal of the Hat
  • Replacement of Sounds Dangerous with a new concept by George Lucas to be part of new "land" Lucasland
Animal Kingdom
  • Re-location of Festival of the Lion King to Africa
  • New land on the Camp Minnie Mickey Footprint
  • Re-open Discovery River Boats with added show scenes.
  • Find a way to access this land behind Asia in a way that doesn't necessitate a ridiculous amount of walking. This may be the best spot on Disney World property for a World of Color type show.
  • If Maharajah Jungle Trek needs to be re-worked, the addition of Giant Pandas would be a huge boost to the park.
  • Replace Dino-Rama with either Australia or a legit expansion to Dinoland U.S.A.
Boy, that all sounds like a bunch of moving crap around just to spend money and move crap around.

Flip83

When most of you go take a vacation to Orlando. You're mostly in Disney. Every Family I know will take a Disney Vacation for a week and they go to US and or Sea World for a day. Most of the Vacation happens in Disney because they have so much to do. I'm not interested in most of what Universal offers. And even the good rides are cool, but nothing blows my mind. The bullwinkle log flume or whatever it is... Fun, but just look at the difference in detail from that to Splash Mt. HUGE. Universal is decent, but it will never EVER have a big enough impact to even dent WDW. Potter is huge, congrats for all the little dragon riding wizards out there.. But it will never be bigger then Disney. Get over it. Have fun on the..... Men in Black ride?

JimboJones123

It needs Beastly Kingdom, in my opinion. That could be a very effective response to Potter. I once thought Narnia could be too, but oh well...

They just made a very poor decision in making Narnia on a JRR level. An $80 mil budget for the first and $70 for the second instead of $180 and $225 AND keeping with Christmas releases would have produced a very quality product that may have only brought in $300 mil instead of $430 mil but cost $250 mil less.

Plus having an actual strategy for release like HP 1-7 instead of leaving audiences guessing which film was next.

What they should have done is an Animated Magician's Nephew release in between to continue the story. That book will never make a quality live action film.

Wilt Dasney

Potter is huge, congrats for all the little dragon riding wizards out there.. But it will never be bigger then Disney.
Whoa. A minute ago, we were discussing whether or not HP's popularity will disappear altogether in a few years. Now the yardstick for success is for a single land at Universal to become more popular than the entire WDW resort? Gosh, that bar moved fast. :lol:

RSoxNo1

Boy, that all sounds like a bunch of moving crap around just to spend money and move crap around.

Solid post - really contributing to the conversation.

Now to anyone that has said that Harry Potter is a fad, that is 100% ignorance. Sure, attendance will drop off from the ridiculous numbers it had this summer, but it will continue to drive the attendance at IOA for years to come.

In 1989 Star Tours was a revolutionary ride (1987 in California). Then Back to the Future came along a few years later. It didn't put an end to Star Tours, but it moved the simulator forward. Years later, other types of simulators became more popular within the parks. Personally, they've never been my thing, but I'd maintain that attendance at Star Tours has been the result of the Franchise moreso than the ride in recent years. Body Wars was a very similar ride, but lacked the staying power and as such has since closed.

Harry Potter as a franchise will not be a fad. The popularity of the ride may decrease if and when the next greatest attraction is created, but Disney hasn't announced anything in Florida that will rival this. From a pure dollars and cents standpoint, Carsland in California should match or exceed the level of detail of The Wizarding World, however the ride system being used is not new, it's just using an existing ride system and raising the bar on theming. That's not a bad thing at all, but I fear that Disney has been gun shy on investing in R&D for new technologies since Mission: SPACE didn't work out as well as they'd hoped.

We haven't seen Radiator Springs Racers. So it's possible that it could combine a variety of different elements like Spiderman or Forbidden Journey. it's possible that it is the next big theme park attraction and that Disney will have no choice but to clone it in Florida. I hope that's the case, I hope that the two companies try to one up one another and that Harry Potter is just the tip of the iceberg. I just think that realistically, it raised the bar so high that for the first time Disney is playing serious catchup.

JustInTime

But it will never be bigger then Disney. Get over it.

All we are saying is the Potter land is turning out to be a bigger threat than what Disney thought. And you are the one who said Harry Potter is a fad that will die out (you changed your tune). We are merely proving you wrong. This is not a discussion of weather or not Harry Potter is bigger than The Walt Disney COMPANY. Nobody has come close to saying that. It would be absurd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom