Harry Potter IS making a difference!!

S

stphnbogert

i think it probably has already gotten disney's attention. i honestly think that the next few years we're going to see some big changes. i think expansions at ak and dhs. and hopefully some updates at epcot and working on the pavilions that aren't being used.

_Scar

This can only do good for Disney and the Orlando area overall.

I say more competition... maybe we'll get a new land out of all this expansion of other parks :D

S

stphnbogert

yeah maybe updates on all parks (except mk since we're already getting the fle) and another theme park.

ABigBrassBand

To be honest, I think the only thing that Disney could actually gain steam with is a new park, because the rest doesn't seem to measure up in the eyes of the public to HPW.

SeaCastle

I guess flat attendance is better than declining attendance. How they don't have declining attendance in a recession and (by 2011) a four-year-long period of nothing substantial being added to the parks astounds me. I sincerely hope FLE isn't the only thing up their sleeve by 2012/13 otherwise they'll also have to go up against the rumored Harry Potter phase 2. Let's hope Disney provides more incentive for guests to visit their parks in the coming years.

Disneyson 1

Oh boy...

As much as this new financial report DEFINITELY has to do with some sort of embarrassment from Potter/general earnings/both, this won't likely do anything. If this doesn't have them paying attention, than I'm afraid nothing will.

The best thing they can do at this point is cash in on Tangled and add something with Rapunzel into the forest expansion. While this would be a fantastic idea, I highly doubt anything like this will indeed happen.

S

stphnbogert

i think disney has more to reveal...

1. Pleasure Island being redone
2. New Animation Resort
3. FLE
4. One Man's Dream expansion
5. Star Tours II

Disney might be pulling out all the stops in the next few years. We might see....

1. Animal Kingdom expansion/Yeti being fixed
2. DHS expansion (probably pixar expansion)
3. Epcot pavilions being used and updates to Universe of Energy and new country.

That all would def have people to extend their vacation so they can experience everything.

Andrew54

I think Disney has already put into action it's response to Harry Potter. But AK really would benefit from an expansion.

S

stphnbogert

ak and dhs would definitely benefit from an expansion. they should make the parks how you CANT ride everything in one day which makes people coming back to do it again.

MickeyMind

Original Poster
Oh boy...

As much as this new financial report DEFINITELY has to do with some sort of embarrassment from Potter/general earnings/both, this won't likely do anything. If this doesn't have them paying attention, than I'm afraid nothing will.

The best thing they can do at this point is cash in on Tangled and add something with Rapunzel into the forest expansion. While this would be a fantastic idea, I highly doubt anything like this will indeed happen.

I think adding more princess stuff is what will directly hurt them. It seems as though everything disney is doing now only caters to a certain age group. What made disney so successful is making rides and attractions mom and dad will love as well as jimmy the 14 yr old and sarah the 5 yr old.. They need to get back into the business of making quality, timeless attractions.

Take a look at the kind of movies disney animation has been releasing compared to pixar, Tpatf was made for little girls, while wall-e and up were movies made for the whole family. Both wall-e and up were way more successful than tpatf. FLE is the only big thing they're working on right now, and what does it consist of? MORE PRINCESS STUFF! Granted these are two timeless movies that they're making attractions out of, but they are still more geared towards little girls. The reason hp is so successful is because grown ups as well as kids are interested in it, and until disney finds things grown ups and kids will both be in to. People will be spending they're money elsewhere.

captainkidd

A.This is nothing unexpected.
B.Remember back in 1998 when Animal Kingdom opened? Attendance took off the first year, then leveled off.
C.The HP hype mahcine is going to subside in time. There is 1 new ride there. I don't see it as something people are going to continue to come back to see year after year. It's like a big budget movie on opening weekend.

That being said, Disney has responded with the Fantasyland Expansion. When that is done, attendance will boom at WDW. As for Universal, of course their attendance went up. The fact is, more people are still walking through Disney's turnstiles each day.

DTM93

I think working on Epcot and Disney's Hollywood Studios would be a good idea.
I think it'd be nice to put the pavilions all to use with new attractions/entertainment etc. I think that World Showcase is great the way it is at the moment aswell and with Cars 2 and Monsters Inc 2 on the way I think that Pixar Place will definitely/hopefully see a significant expansion.
Is it only me who things that Animal Kingdom is more than a day park? I just love the atmosphere and I think that park is brilliant, minus the carnival area.

Andrew54

It didn't hurt that they just released the last movie, which got all the HP hype going again. Same would be expected in DL if Radiator Springs is open before Cars 2 comes out.

S

stphnbogert

animal kingdom is a one day park but i think adding an austrailia or south america land would be great and to put an e ticket attraction in there.

ABigBrassBand

A.This is nothing unexpected.
B.Remember back in 1998 when Animal Kingdom opened? Attendance took off the first year, then leveled off.
C.The HP hype mahcine is going to subside in time. There is 1 new ride there. I don't see it as something people are going to continue to come back to see year after year. It's like a big budget movie on opening weekend.

That being said, Disney has responded with the Fantasyland Expansion. When that is done, attendance will boom at WDW. As for Universal, of course their attendance went up. The fact is, more people are still walking through Disney's turnstiles each day.
Sure, FLE will attract more visitors, but it certainly can't entertain anyone...plus, HP has another movie coming out in June, so the hype won't die out right away :shrug:

That said, Disney should work on a DAK expansion/DHS, or update FW.

Captain Chaos

I think Disney has already put into action it's response to Harry Potter. But AK really would benefit from an expansion.

We haven't seen Disney's response yet... FLE is NOT Disney's response to HP... And neither is the retheme of Pleasure Island to Hyperion Wharf...

Oddysey

Let me preface what I am about to say. I am a huge Disney Theme Parks buff, and snort my share of pixie dust yearly. However, I was able to ride Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey about two weeks ago for the very first time. In my opinion Disney has created nothing on par with this attraction starting with the queue and ending with the ride. I walked out of this ride and thought "this is what an attraction in the year 2010 should be like". It was absolutely amazing!

If US continues to add on to their park over the years, and it is similar to the quality of Harry Potter Land, then I think attendance may begin to shift in Uni's favor. Not anytime soon, but years into the future. When I was little my parents took me to Disney because it once amazed them, and they wanted to share it with me. I now go to Disney because it is nostalgic, and it also amazed me as a child. I will likely repeat the cycle of bringing my children to Disney (when my DW and I have them) the way my parents brought me, but I will also take them too US.

If I were a child now I would be much more amazed with HP than anything that is currently at Disney. As a result, there is a good chance that if I were born today, and US continued to expand using quality similar to Harry Potter, I would grow up nostalgic for US more so than Disney. I would then take my children to US, and they would repeat the cycle by taking their children.

In short, I hope Disney begins to innovate and raise the bar the way they used too. As it stands now Disney is still the better vacation destination, but if they stand idle, many years down the road, US will have a chance at taking a big bite of out of Disney's Theme Park market share.

Captain Chaos

Hopefully they aren't! :wave:

We have had the insiders on here telling us FLE was planned long before Potter... Pleasure Island's retheme has nothing to do with Potter, common sense tells us that...

Also, insiders have said Disney has Potter swatters planned, just waiting for the green light... I have a funny feeling the swatters will be stuck on amber or red for a long time though....

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom