Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

RSoxNo1

So, we were debating going on December 1st and December 2nd for half days at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Then we decided to cut Islands of Adventure out of it because Potter wouldn't be open, and I'd be there with my 60 year old parents in December - meaning not a lot they'd do at Islands of Adventure (colder weather means no water rides).

Now I have no idea what we're gonna do.

JustInTime

So, we were debating going on December 1st and December 2nd for half days at Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure. Then we decided to cut Islands of Adventure out of it because Potter wouldn't be open, and I'd be there with my 60 year old parents in December - meaning not a lot they'd do at Islands of Adventure (colder weather means no water rides).

Now I have no idea what we're gonna do.

Well, I don't know if this is even offical yet.

SeaBreeze

I don't really put too much in opening dates until the attraction is actually open :lookaroun

Regarding what this means for WDW, as a Floridian who can easily daytrip down to Orlando I can say that I rarely pop over to USF. I'll go for HHN but in general, my day trips are to WDW. However, once WWoHP opens, I definitely will be checking out IoA and I imagine a lot of locals will be doing the same. I'm equal parts Disney nerd and Potter geek and I'm totally okay with that :lol: Not sure if it'll hurt WDW but it's definitely going to help USF

(And I've read Life of Pi:) )

EPCOT Explorer

I don't really put too much in opening dates until the attraction is actually open :lookaroun

Regarding what this means for WDW, as a Floridian who can easily daytrip down to Orlando I can say that I rarely pop over to USF. I'll go for HHN but in general, my day trips are to WDW. However, once WWoHP opens, I definitely will be checking out IoA and I imagine a lot of locals will be doing the same. I'm equal parts Disney nerd and Potter geek and I'm totally okay with that :lol: Not sure if it'll hurt WDW but it's definitely going to help USF

(And I've read Life of Pi:) )

Yeah, when WWoHP is open, I can see myself sacrificing a day (bai, DHS :lookaroun) and heading over to IoA for the first time. HP will require that.:lol:...I'm too big of a fan not to.

And life of Pi is fantastic.:D

color

A broom? There is really only one way to ride a broom without falling off...:lookaroun A broom sounds wrong...unless it's a HUGE broom that eveyone sits inside. Beside, how will handicapped people ride a broom?

And no more 'swival arms' as prevously reported?

Who says you're not going to ride in the car and on a broom...

Disney_Freak429

I have to make this Universal related joke since it's the first thing that came to mind when reading/hearing the word "not even the Magi can save you now":lookaroun:lol: Ok maybe it came off more funny in my head but I tired. As far as going you bet I'll be there & if I can get in dressed in a sweater vest,dress shirt/pants,& a tie of a certain color combo with a wand hidden in my pocket you bet I will give it a go. (what don't tell me I'm the only person who is above the age of 18 that will do this :lookaroun)

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Honestly, I think people who would typically spend 7 days in WDW will instead spend 5 days at WDW and 2 at Universal/IOA. Something similar along those lines will take place.

Edit: I do think USF will see an attendance spike. With the parks being as close as they are, people will be more inclined to purchase and use the park hopper, IMO.

Just to throw my two penneth into the hat . My DW and myself have been 9 times to the sunshine state and have booked to go again next year.Whilst we would normaly divide our time between the three major companies next year we will be doing Disney only for the very reason that HP world is opening...We wont be going back to US until all the wizarding Furore has calmed Down.Does anyone else think like this???
And yes the DW is a huge Potter Fan..Although she has recently been trying to get me to sparkle:brick:

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I think that is a big deal for Disney. Disney has tried for decades to keep visitors on Disney property without leaving to see what is outside. People might like what they see. That is a lot of revenue, even if only 20% of Disney guests visit HP for 1 day.

How many extra people will visit Florida to see harry potter and then spend some time at Disney.new stuff in the Area is always good for All the Major players surley?

_Scar

not at all. As someone said before, people from all over the world flock to WDW. If someone notices Harry Potter in the area and sacrifices one day of a five day vacation that is a 20% loss for Disney.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
not at all. As someone said before, people from all over the world flock to WDW. If someone notices Harry Potter in the area and sacrifices one day of a five day vacation that is a 20% loss for Disney.

I understand this but what of those people that come for HP and stay extra for Disney...

_Scar

Why would they stay extra for Disney. I bet they'd sacrifice another Disney park to go to Universal Studios when they see that huge new coaster :ROFLOL:

CaptainMichael

Lets say a family comes to Orlando for a week.. You can easily do both Universal parks in one day, Sea world in one day. That leaves 5 days to go to Disney....
I'd be surprised if the average family comes for a week. That really is a long time to be away from work, school, etc. Not to mention the cost.

And I think this is what you will mostly see... I don't think there is going to be this sudden shift in attendance at all... Sure, a spike in IOA's attendance, no affect on WDW's attendance, and maybe a slight decrease in USO's attendance... Remember, IOA and USO are two different parks...
Really? You cannot go to Universal Orlando and not do both. They are right next to each other and the park hopper is a great value. I doubt that most will walk through City Walk without looking at Universal Studios or picking up a map or noticing the bright red coaster right in their face.

Edit: I do think USF will see an attendance spike. With the parks being as close as they are, people will be more inclined to purchase and use the park hopper, IMO.
There's no doubt in my mind.

Nobody said it was going to be inside Hogwarts. That would be stupid. So, why don't you go ahead and give us a full report on the new land? I would love to know all the little details. I feel left out. So, besides well known info, what else can you tell us(skip the swival arm, thats old news)...
As of now, the only "new" ride is the attraction inside Hogwarts. Dueling Dragons ("The Dragon Task") and the Flying Unicorn ("The Flying Hippogriff")will undergo some thematic changes. Anything else would come in a 2nd or 3rd phase...if there is such a thing.

As far as going you bet I'll be there & if I can get in dressed in a sweater vest,dress shirt/pants,& a tie of a certain color combo with a wand hidden in my pocket you bet I will give it a go. (what don't tell me I'm the only person who is above the age of 18 that will do this :lookaroun)
Me too!

How many extra people will visit Florida to see harry potter and then spend some time at Disney.new stuff in the Area is always good for All the Major players surley?
Most posts that I've read on the-leaky-cauldron.org say that they're saving up money just to go to Universal. I think few even realize that WDW is in Orlando too. With posters on here throwing around vacation figures of 7 to 10 days, it seems people are forgetting the financial state most are in and how difficult a trip to Universal and WDW would be (especially for the hardcore Potter fan read: college age) Most would probably prefer Universal anyway seeing as WDW has given up on young adults and older families.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
I'd be surprised if the average family comes for a week. That really is a long time to be away from work, school, etc. Not to mention the cost.

Really? You cannot go to Universal Orlando and not do both. They are right next to each other and the park hopper is a great value. I doubt that most will walk through City Walk without looking at Universal Studios or picking up a map or noticing the bright red coaster right in their face.

There's no doubt in my mind.

As of now, the only "new" ride is the attraction inside Hogwarts. Dueling Dragons ("The Dragon Task") and the Flying Unicorn ("The Flying Hippogriff")will undergo some thematic changes. Anything else would come in a 2nd or 3rd phase...if there is such a thing.

Me too!

Most posts that I've read on the-leaky-cauldron.org say that they're saving up money just to go to Universal. I think few even realize that WDW is in Orlando too. With posters on here throwing around vacation figures of 7 to 10 days, it seems people are forgetting the financial state most are in and how difficult a trip to Universal and WDW would be (especially for the hardcore Potter fan read: college age) Most would probably prefer Universal anyway seeing as WDW has given up on young adults and older families.

7-10 days for universal..I like them parks but:eek:

CaptainMichael

7-10 days for universal..I like them parks but:eek:

You missed my point. I've been reading all the posts about people spending 7-10 days in Orlando (mostly in WDW)...I just don't see how it is feasible for the average American family or the Harry Potter fanbase to take such a long, expensive trip.

King Racoon 77

Premium Member
You missed my point. I've been reading all the posts about people spending 7-10 days in Orlando (mostly in WDW)...I just don't see how it is feasible for the average American family or the Harry Potter fanbase to take such a long, expensive trip.

My bad

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom