Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

Figment571

I'm interested to see how Uni actually upkeeps the Harry otter stuff, becasue, well they don't have a great track record.
It is interesting thought to see what JKR wanted with Disney and what she got with Disney, well at least what I have read about what she wanted.
I wonder if she she will be thrilled with it 10 years down the road you know.

captainkidd

IOA can probably beat any WDW park one on one once it gets HP, but WDW as a whole versus USF is WDW hands down, no questions better.

Except for those of us who couldn't possibly care less about Harry Potter.

I like Universal, but IOA could have a roller coaster that included a one-on-one with God, and it wouldn't be as good as any WDW park. Unless you're into thrill rides, IOA is about a 4 hour park. And if you want to do thrill rides right, you may as well just drive an hour south to Busch Gardens.

Disneyfan1981

Wow. Last time I went to Orlando I bought the "Quickpass" or whatever its called and did both IOA and the original Universal Studios in one day, from opening to closing. That's the plan for Harry Potter when it opens, one day at IOA (probably only there because the crowds will be horrendous) and then the rest of the vacation no matter how long the duration at WDW.

TP2000

I'm totally out of the loop on this Potter craze. I've seen snippets of one of the movies I think, (British kid in dorky glasses with wizard powers) but I don't know anything about the franchise and it just doesn't interest me. And junior high kids like reading the books? Or something like that? If it has kids reading, it must have merit.

That said, I find it hard to believe the opening of some of the land without any new rides will have any impact on Disney attendance. I'm sure it will be a nice thing to stroll through for people who were already going to Universal, or it may drive some attendance from Potter fans who otherwise wouldn't have been in Orlando. But it won't drain away any measurable attendance from the WDW parks.

I liken it to New Orleans Square opening in 1966, and Pirates of the Caribbean opening in 1967. Walt had a fun little dedication ceremony with the then mayor of 1966 New Orleans in July '66. But since Pirates wasn't ready yet, it was just some shops and restaurants except the Blue Bayou. Pirates of the Caribbean finally opened in March, 1967 with the Blue Bayou as well, and that's when attendance went through the roof and everyone was talking about the fantastic new pirates ride at Disneyland.

It seems Universal Orlando is about to do the same thing by opening up a newly built land of shops and restaurants, with the big new ride still behind walls and not opening for another 9 months.

sweetpee_1993

Wow. Lots of fuss over the HP park, huh? I don't think it will impact WDW hardly at all. As someone else pointed out, a lot of HP fans are saving to go to the HP park when it opens. These are people who are saving with the intent of going to that park. They weren't planning to go to WDW. Doesn't seem like WDW is losing anything there. I think people who want to go to WDW will and those who don't won't. I just don't see it having a big impact. :shrug:

I read all the HP books and loved 'em but I'm not at all interested in going. Personally, I don't find enough excitement in a park that is simply incorporating rides that used to be part of their "sister" parks and opening MagiQuest which is something I can do at other locations besides Orlando (I did it already in Myrtle Beach). The few new attractions that are going to open aren't enough to entice me to sacrifice a day of my trip to WDW. In fact, I've never even given any thought to going to US or IOA. I love roller coasters but, again, there's not enough out there to entice me to give up even a day of WDW. I realize that's just my opinion because it seems lots of folks enjoy going to those parks. I just wonder what percentage of the WDW guests think the way I do. :shrug:

sweetpee_1993

I'm totally out of the loop on this Potter craze. I've seen snippets of one of the movies I think, (British kid in dorky glasses with wizard powers) but I don't know anything about the franchise and it just doesn't interest me. And junior high kids like reading the books? Or something like that? If it has kids reading, it must have merit.

That said, I find it hard to believe the opening of some of the land without any new rides will have any impact on Disney attendance. I'm sure it will be a nice thing to stroll through for people who were already going to Universal, or it may drive some attendance from Potter fans who otherwise wouldn't have been in Orlando. But it won't drain away any measurable attendance from the WDW parks.

I liken it to New Orleans Square opening in 1966, and Pirates of the Caribbean opening in 1967. Walt had a fun little dedication ceremony with the then mayor of 1966 New Orleans in July '66. But since Pirates wasn't ready yet, it was just some shops and restaurants except the Blue Bayou. Pirates of the Caribbean finally opened in March, 1967 with the Blue Bayou as well, and that's when attendance went through the roof and everyone was talking about the fantastic new pirates ride at Disneyland.

It seems Universal Orlando is about to do the same thing by opening up a newly built land of shops and restaurants, with the big new ride still behind walls and not opening for another 9 months.

I know how you feel because all the hub-bub about HP used to grind on my nerves, too. When book #5 was released I had reached my breaking point. I was 29 years old working night shift. My 60+ crazy old lady boss (she called herself that) was reading that book and I made fun of her. The subject (wizards) didn't seem at all interesting and, come on now, they're children's books for crying out loud. She bet me that I couldn't read the 1st three chapters of book #1 and put it down. So she brought me the book the next night. Over the next 2 weeks I was plowing through each book one after the other non-stop. Every book release after that I was pre-purchasing and read the 1st day or 2 it was out. Crazy, I know. HP isn't a kid's book at all. It's a well-written, insanely imaginative story that took 7 books to tell. Give it a shot. You never know. And I can say that honestly because I used to think the exact same thing you said. :wave:

I do, however agree with everything you said about the park. I love HP but don't see anything interesting enough to entice me to give up a day of WDW bliss. :animwink:

Duckberg

HP big DEAL???

I've never read the books, seen a couple of movie clips. That's it! Still feel That WDW will make out OK. Duckberg :cool:

jonnyc

I would really like to see an average family do both Universal parks (including every attraction and show) in one day without Express Pass.

I agree, even with an Express Pass i think it would be a very very full day.

I've never read the books, seen a couple of movie clips. That's it! Still feel That WDW will make out OK. Duckberg :cool:

You should defaintely try the books they are an excellent read, Wizards and the like are not something i would normally be into but i read the first book to see what the fuss was about and i got hooked.

I locked myself away and read the final book on the day of release. (mainly because i knew my friends would tell me what happened if i spoke to them :lol:)

(British kid in dorky glasses with wizard powers)

I only need the wizard powers and i'm there!

majortom1981

hmm

Honestly this is not as big of a deal for disney as people make it.

Who in there right mind comes to orland and ONLY goes to universal? Disney is big enough that the Harry Potter thing i nUniversal could get Disney more guests. They would come to orland for Harry Potter and then go to disney for a couple of days.

Also Isuspect that once the movies are over universal might be in trouble with all that money they are spending.

Duckberg

Hp

Also I suspect that once the movies are over universal might be in trouble with all that money they are spending.[/quote]

Earlier this year there were posts here @ WDW Magic that Universal was in financial trouble. Is HP their last ditch effort to make the Universal park profitable? Duckberg :veryconfu

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The first phase of the Wizarding World of Harry Potter is now expected to arrive December 1st 2009 with phase two (Hogwarts Castle and the e-ticket) opening Spring/Summer 2010!
That was always the plan.... depending on who you talk to summer for the attraction could be a little optimistic though.

Olijimcha

I hope the RRR & the Harry Potter experience is a roaring success, imo it would be the best thing that could happen in the Orlando area.
The family & I love WDW and have a great time there, but on our last visit for the 1st time I noticed a kind of tiredness about the place, not the staff or service more the parks in general. Disney's authorised ideas & the execution of them needs a little kick up the backside and there's no better way for that to happen than for someone else to steal the plaudits for creativity, quality & the show that goes with it - all the things Disney are supposed to be the best at.

RiversideBunny

Anything that helps reduce the crowds at WDW is a welcomed happening.
Over the last few years there has been no traditional slow period.
Wall to wall guests has become the normal state in the Disney parks, compared to the reasonable crowds that used to be there.

If Harry Potter at Universal can suck up a lot of the visiting muggles then it's a good thing. Expeloramus !

:)

whylightbulb

That was always the plan.... depending on who you talk to summer for the attraction could be a little optimistic though.
I really don't think summer of 2010 is overly optimistic. Granted the "Test Track" curse, as I've been calling it, has been plaguing this project since its inception. Many of the same mistakes are being made here that I saw at Test Track. If the same attitudes continue to prevail then we could very well end up beyond summer. The reason I've been saying that we won't go that long is because there are solutions to the current issues at hand and People are starting to listen. There is a good chance these solutions will be implemented and we'll be well on our way to an early summer opening.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The reason I've been saying that we won't go that long is because there are solutions to the current issues at hand and People are starting to listen.
Good news. Some peeps seem to know people are listening, some don`t.

jonnyc

Who in there right mind comes to orland and ONLY goes to universal? Disney is big enough that the Harry Potter thing i nUniversal could get Disney more guests. They would come to orland for Harry Potter and then go to disney for a couple of days.

I agree, by no means are people going to stop going to Disney, I think the effect it will have is that people may spend 1/2 days at Universal/IOA instead a 1/2 days they would normally spend in the world.

Although i'm sure a lot of familes who stay for 7 days or more would do this anyway?

hrcollectibles

I would really like to see an average family do both Universal parks (including every attraction and show) in one day without Express Pass.

Well depending on when you go I have been to Universal where the longest wait was 20 minutes for the incredible Hulk. I don't think, and this is my opinion, that every family that goes to any theme park will try to do every attraction there is. Due to the fact that not everyone wants to experience the same things. I think its great that Universal is finally updating one section of their park. And yes I will go to Islands of Adventure to check it out. But I do not see this as THE thing that will make Universal the most popular theme park in Orlando. It will be a great revenue stream for them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom