Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

Testtrack321

They hope....

I'm on his side. I call wishful thinking on most of that. We had vertical construction of Hogsmeade start not too long ago. I'd say they'll do an Everest: hope and pray for a Dec open, but it won't actually happen till early 2010. Don't even get me started on the new rides yet though.... that has to be a bit off!

JROK

If they do a stage show, I hope they don't use characters from the book (except MAYBE Voldemort). It just would be too difficult to get good lookalikes for most of them

EDIT
Then again they could always use this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtwLc8i2wNI

I'm pretty sure I read that JKR didn't want any of the characters from the books to be in the parks as live characters in a meet and greet aspect, so I imagine the show will be, "I'm Professor XYZ and I'm here to do magic."

As far as the MagiQuest goes, at MagiQuest in Myrtle Beach they have several different groups you can join and then build and decorate your wand. There are also several wand styles to choose from as well as clothing options and such. Every few months they introduce new pieces as well so I can see them introducing special limited edition wands and all that money making jazz too. I'm just hoping that like once a year they update the scavenger hunt through the park so annual passholders can experience new things. I can see the MagiQuest competing with the Kim Possible attraction at EPCOT.

And now for the phased opening, if you remember EPCOT opened in phases, so it's nothing new and I think it's way better to open part of it than to keep it closed till everything's ready. At least this way people can walk through there during their busiest time of year (Xmas).

StageFrenzy

I'm pretty sure I read that JKR didn't want any of the characters from the books to be in the parks as live characters in a meet and greet aspect, so I imagine the show will be, "I'm Professor XYZ and I'm here to do magic."

As far as the MagiQuest goes, at MagiQuest in Myrtle Beach they have several different groups you can join and then build and decorate your wand. There are also several wand styles to choose from as well as clothing options and such. Every few months they introduce new pieces as well so I can see them introducing special limited edition wands and all that money making jazz too. I'm just hoping that like once a year they update the scavenger hunt through the park so annual passholders can experience new things. I can see the MagiQuest competing with the Kim Possible attraction at EPCOT.

And now for the phased opening, if you remember EPCOT opened in phases, so it's nothing new and I think it's way better to open part of it than to keep it closed till everything's ready. At least this way people can walk through there during their busiest time of year (Xmas).

That and buy all the mechandise

tahqa

I dunno about this... I saw the Hogsmeade area last weekend and I don't think they're far enough along for a December opening. And the delay of the Rip-it roller coaster over at USF doesn't give me much hope for their general ability to open anything on time. Remember. last summer the Simpson's ride was delayed by a couple of months also.

Disneyson 1

All the kids? You better believe I will be buying myself a wand the first chance I get. I wonder what core will choose me...?

:D
^I know. I wonder if you can use other MagiQuest wands from other locations? And what about bosses? The original MagiQuest has bosses at the end of big quests, which unlocked a "special power" to use in duels against other players ("Magi"). I wonder how they'll do it with so many players? Multiple screens and boss rooms in secret places, I guess.

Here's a video of the basic idea of MagiQuest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdFUaSwSd0

The game involves you buying a wand and completing quests that, when completed, give you a "rune", a stone that gives you a "power". You must start at a quest station (a screen that you choose quests and adventures from, check your game time at, check out the gold you've saved up, and can view the items that you still need to collect in a particular quest.), where an on-screen wizard gives you general clues.

You follow your miniature pamphlet that has rhyming riddles that tell you where to look for things. When you've "collected" all of the items, you must find one more thing: an interactive "on-screen" character who is also somewhere hidden (A tree spirit, a gargoyle, an owl, dungeon slime, etc.). You get a clue to find this as well. If you've found all the items, then the creature will give you congratulations and give you your rune. If not, you're told to go back and find the missing items.

For adventures, you're told a story (Find the Pixie's Crystal, Defeat the Dragon, Return the magic jewels to the Princess, etc) and, without any written clues and only a first clue given by the wizard, you go off in search of clues/items/characters/etc. For example, if battling the Dragon, the story is that it's been stealing people's gold and terrorizing people. You need to find it and stop it. You must first find the first piece of the code to "open the portal" to the Dragon's lair. You're told to find the first piece of the clue in a certain area (they tell you where), and you go to the area. You see the board in the designated area and you wave your wand. With your "reveal the invisible" rune, the message telling you where the next board is "appears" and a symbol is shown to you. You go to the other 2 boards and, with the full sequence of symbols, you find the Dragon. You must enchant the crystal outside of the cave to find out if you're allowed inside. If you are, the crystal turns green. If not, it turns red, which means you've missed something. You enter the code that you saw earlier into the arch around the "portal" and, when the code is correct and you cast at the "Portal Rune" symbol on the side of the arch, you move on. You enter the Dragon's lair (he's projected) and in front of you is a board with pictures of a couple of spells. The Dragon has a dialogue and then he starts to attack. You cast your wand at the "protection" spell and fire it at the Dragon. A light shines on you and when he shoots fire at you, you take less damage. You then shoot the dragon with a freezing spell when his discolored scale is shown, then hit him with the ice arrow to inflict damage. This continues until someone loses all their health. If you lose, you must get back on line for the Dragon, but if you win you get a Dragon Rune, used for summoning the Dragon in duels against other "Magi".

Oh! Here's something that you can expect in Jurassic Park:

http://www.discoverycube.org/exhibit.aspx?q=11

It's made by the MagiQuest company, and some Adventures include nursing a baby Triceratops and defeating a Tyrannosaurus.

EpcotServo

Here's a video of the basic idea of MagiQuest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TdFUaSwSd0

Hailed by Critics!

"
40% Increase in Parking Revenue in 4th Quarter."
-Jim Steekman, Warsick NJ Funmallatorium

"Franchising rates very reasonable."
-
Magiquest CEO, Alek Donavitz

"Has tremendously increased attendance."
-
Owner of Phil's Family Pizzeria in Derby, Colorado

"Tax deductible, given proper circumstances."
-Jimmy Goldovitz, MagiQuest Attorney

"Certified building inspected, renew in 2012"
-Nevada Buildings Commission

"The Two-for-one Mug and T-Shirt deal is unparalleled."
-Arizona Parent's Daily Magazine, Summer Fun Review 2006

The guests agree!

"Worth the money."
-
William Eaton, 43

"You never catch the Dragon."
-
Kirk Mahooney, 8

"Is that the thing that opened down at West Towne Mall?"
-Anonymous

"Makes me want to Wizard."
-Fallon Richards, 12

"I was able to get out for a cigarette, I approve."
-Jenna Mahooney, 38

Call 1-470-6784, Extension 42 for Franchising Opportunities TODAY!

(Ask for Ted)

:lol:

JustInTime

I'm with them. The sooner I get to ride that thing, the better.

And it's not a flying car, as far as I know.:)

Well, the flying car is long rumored. It wasn't untill Uni had the poll on the site that people started to question it. I think it was, "which dragon would you rather ride"...or something like that. Some peole even think it's going to be a Buckbeak ride...

Jasonflz

Well, the flying car is long rumored. It wasn't untill Uni had the poll on the site that people started to question it. I think it was, "which dragon would you rather ride"...or something like that. Some peole even think it's going to be a Buckbeak ride...

Wasn't there concept art released featuring the cars?

Overall, I doubt this will effect Disney in the slightest. The people who go to Disney will continue to go and the HP fans will head to Universal. I have to admit though, this seems like a really promising project and should beat anything that Disney has come out with for a while. It seems very ambitious.

JustInTime

Wasn't there concept art released featuring the cars?

Overall, I doubt this will effect Disney in the slightest. The people who go to Disney will continue to go and the HP fans will head to Universal. I have to admit though, this seems like a really promising project and should beat anything that Disney has come out with for a while. It seems very ambitious.

I think so. I would personally rather ride the Weasley car than a dragon...

hrcollectibles

IMO just ONE atttraction @ Universal does not trump the overall attraction to WDW. I'm still putting my poker chips on the MOUSE! Duckberg :D

Exactly... I think all this Hub bub that Disney should be worried.. I mean yes Universal will see a spike in attendance.. But One land does not a theme park make.... Lets say a family comes to Orlando for a week.. You can easily do both Universal parks in one day, Sea world in one day. That leaves 5 days to go to Disney....

krankenstein

Exactly... I think all this Hub bub that Disney should be worried.. I mean yes Universal will see a spike in attendance.. But One land does not a theme park make.... Lets say a family comes to Orlando for a week.. You can easily do both Universal parks in one day, Sea world in one day. That leaves 5 days to go to Disney....

I would really like to see an average family do both Universal parks (including every attraction and show) in one day without Express Pass.

_Scar

I would really like to see an average family do both Universal parks (including every attraction and show) in one day without Express Pass.

Agree. I'm doing it with Express Pass this year for one day in both parks and I think it will be the most cluttered day. There is really that much to do and see. USF should not be taken lightly. I;m a huge Disney fan, but I'd be willing to sacrifice a Disney day for an IOA day.

Captain Chaos

Actually, I think you'll see less people going to Universal Studios and a slight increase over at IOA... I don't think the studios proper will see any spike in attendance... And if that winds up being the case, then it is doable in 1 day... But, how many of those people will still take two days and spend them both in IOA checking out Wizarding Worlds majority of the time they spend there??

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom