Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

krankenstein

Who in there right mind comes to orland and ONLY goes to universal?

I have, several times.

Well depending on when you go I have been to Universal where the longest wait was 20 minutes for the incredible Hulk. I don't think, and this is my opinion, that every family that goes to any theme park will try to do every attraction there is. Due to the fact that not everyone wants to experience the same things. I think its great that Universal is finally updating one section of their park. And yes I will go to Islands of Adventure to check it out. But I do not see this as THE thing that will make Universal the most popular theme park in Orlando. It will be a great revenue stream for them.

I don't think anyone in this thread has stated that it will make Universal the most popular park in Orlando. What most of us is saying is that it will have an effect on Disney in some shape or form.

Duckberg

Potter Crowd Control @ WDW

Anything that helps reduce the crowds at WDW is a welcomed happening.
Over the last few years there has been no traditional slow period.
Wall to wall guests has become the normal state in the Disney parks, compared to the reasonable crowds that used to be there.

If Harry Potter at Univiersal can suck up a lot of the visiting muggles then it's a good thing. Expeloramus !

:)

A GOOD THING Duckberg :sohappy:

Thrill Seeker

LOL! Very nicely done...

I doubt it will make Universal the most popular area in Orlando, but if it draws enough people away from Disney, they'll take notice. In fact, I'd say going to Disney on HP's opening day will be a good indication of whats to come...

EPCOT Explorer

That's a interesting point that Cap'tMike brings up, though...The demographic. This is going to attract a ton of Teens and College age people..and a more mature audience. What's Disney doing for that? PI?:lookaroun Fantasyland?:lookaroun

Mehtinks it's time to look at EPCOT....:lookaroun:D

sweetpee_1993

I don't know...those pics had a strong resemblance in style to the fun house/tractor trailer that comes to town with the little town festival every year. It's just airbrush.

I hadn't thought about what would become of this park after all the movies were finished, etc. Yes, the story of HP is timeless but it's just one story. Even the best story gets old after a while and people do lose interest as they move onto the next new and wonderful thing. That's a very good point. This is a park based upon one story, one series. It doesn't have the ability to be so diverse in story that it can appeal to a very broad range of guests who will have many different tastes. That's one of the great things about the Disney parks is that they all have ways of evolving, diversifying, and appealing to guests of all ages/interests as new movies or stories are brought to the mainstream while still embracing our beloved favorites. They have the advantage of utilizing multiple stories or movies to diversify themselves. I still don't see how HP's park can make that big of an impact on WDW in the short term and, after thinking about it like this, especially in the long term. :shrug:

WDWFREAK53

To be honest, I think it would be better for them to hold off and open it all at once.

Think about it...people go to the new "Potter-land" and they see the atmosphere but the two "weinies" aren't open. They've already experienced the atmosphere...so when the ride DOES open...it won't be as "WOW" to them.

marsrunner

I don't know...those pics had a strong resemblance in style to the fun house/tractor trailer that comes to town with the little town festival every year. It's just airbrush.

I hadn't thought about what would become of this park after all the movies were finished, etc. Yes, the story of HP is timeless but it's just one story. Even the best story gets old after a while and people do lose interest as they move onto the next new and wonderful thing. That's a very good point. This is a park based upon one story, one series. It doesn't have the ability to be so diverse in story that it can appeal to a very broad range of guests who will have many different tastes. That's one of the great things about the Disney parks is that they all have ways of evolving, diversifying, and appealing to guests of all ages/interests as new movies or stories are brought to the mainstream while still embracing our beloved favorites. They have the advantage of utilizing multiple stories or movies to diversify themselves. I still don't see how HP's park can make that big of an impact on WDW in the short term and, after thinking about it like this, especially in the long term. :shrug:
Its not a whole park, its a land. That's been pointed out on these forums more than once. Its no different than Disney making Carsland for DCA. I'd put money on Harry Potter being more timeless than Cars. In the end it really doesn't matter, what matters is the attractions and their quality. Everyone still seems to love all the attractions at Disney from movies that were released 30, 40, 50 and more years ago.

Edit: You did get that those pictures are from a carnival, right? Its a joke.

jt04

That's a interesting point that Cap'tMike brings up, though...The demographic. This is going to attract a ton of Teens and College age people..and a more mature audience. What's Disney doing for that? PI?:lookaroun Fantasyland?:lookaroun

Disney is brilliant targeting Potters weaknesses. And I have a feeling it's just step one in an overall strategy.

Teens and young adults don't have the disposable income folks that are more established do as a general rule. It's a move to keep the family on property longer. Remember, Potters signature ride and it's big draw is probably going to be height restrictive. So, does a family with younger children go all the way to Uni to look at fancy facades, or do they stay at Disney and enjoy all the cool interactive Fantasyland stuff designed just for them? :shrug: See?

CaptainMichael

Thanks Evan:king:

I think it's time to look at the Fantasyland update and make some changes (not so princess-centric), EPCOT needs an addition to World Showcase, Studios needs Indiana Jones Adventure, Animal Kingdom needs a Mystic Point/Mysterious Island/Beastly Kingdomme, and the Boardwalk needs an Adventurers Club:cool:

Its not a whole park, its a land. That's been pointed out on these forums more than once. Its no different than Disney making Carsland for DCA. I'd put money on Harry Potter being more timeless than Cars. In the end it really doesn't matter, what matters is the attractions and their quality. Everyone still seems to love all the attractions at Disney from movies that were released 30, 40, 50 and more years ago.

Exactly, and not only will Harry be more timeless than a land built to sell merchandise (Cars), there are more stories within the HP universe than Cars (even with the sequel). There is alot of potential for the WWoHP, especially as technology gets better. A quidditch ride or simulator almost seems like a must.

As for the multiple posts about Universal being inferior, etc. Get a grip. Both resorts (UO and WDW) have positives and negatives and things that the other could never offer. I believe Universal should be commended for at least trying to improve themselves and diversify their offerings to reach a broader audience. Disney, IMO is going in the opposite direction but is still a great place. Harry Potter is the biggest thing since Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and I don't think that should be overlooked.

As for the comment regarding maintenance, Universal attractions are generally kept up better IMO (and I'm not the only one who says that)

Captain Chaos

I think that is a big deal for Disney. Disney has tried for decades to keep visitors on Disney property without leaving to see what is outside. People might like what they see. That is a lot of revenue, even if only 20% of Disney guests visit HP for 1 day.

I dare say that during the course of any given day, 20% of guests staying on Disney property probably leave property anyway, so where is the difference???

not at all. As someone said before, people from all over the world flock to WDW. If someone notices Harry Potter in the area and sacrifices one day of a five day vacation that is a 20% loss for Disney.

Again, if people are staying 5 days or longer, the chances of them staying on Disney property the entire time are slim to none... So those 20% are already leaving properrty for a day, maybe two... The only difference is, instead of spending the day in Orlando, at the cost on a beach, or shopping in some Florida malls, they are going to Universal...

I'd be surprised if the average family comes for a week. That really is a long time to be away from work, school, etc. Not to mention the cost.

I don't find it surprising at all... Most people take a week off from work for vacation.. There is no reason to think, other than their financial burden, that they won't spend at least 5 days in Orlando... During the summer there is no school and the summer is when most people take their vacations from work.. So, that isn't an issue...

Really? You cannot go to Universal Orlando and not do both. They are right next to each other and the park hopper is a great value. I doubt that most will walk through City Walk without looking at Universal Studios or picking up a map or noticing the bright red coaster right in their face.

I speak for myself on this... yes, I can go over to USO and NOT do both... I am not to fond of Universal proper.. And the only think I care for in IOA is the Spiderman ride... And a family with little kids may see that new red coaster realize their children can't go on it... Then, they don't go... Especially if those kids want to see Potter again...

With posters on here throwing around vacation figures of 7 to 10 days, it seems people are forgetting the financial state most are in and how difficult a trip to Universal and WDW would be (especially for the hardcore Potter fan read: college age) Most would probably prefer Universal anyway seeing as WDW has given up on young adults and older families.

Yes, there are families that do stay 7 to 10 days... Some people CAN afford it, believe it or not... Every October I go for 10 days... And I stated during those 10 days, not every day is spent on Disney property... My belief is a lot of college age people/young adults do go to Disney and still have fun... And I believe most visit both parks... I don't think that will change all that much... Except for those new college grads who sadly cannot find employment in this economy.... Then, they shouldn't be going to either park anyway....

7-10 days for universal..I like them parks but:eek:

1 or 2 days at the most....

You missed my point. I've been reading all the posts about people spending 7-10 days in Orlando (mostly in WDW)...I just don't see how it is feasible for the average American family or the Harry Potter fanbase to take such a long, expensive trip.

I know I can go for 10 days.... And I did say I believe a lot of families go for 7days as well... Granted, there are plenty that only go for 4, maybe 5 days... Those are the families Disney needs to keep on property... But, the 7 to 10 day vacationers will spend at least 2 or 3 days off property anyway....

Agreed. Hell, we're starting off at Universal next month for 3 nights, anc only actually spending 2 days at the parks before heading to Disney.

2 days is all you need really....

Wow. Last time I went to Orlando I bought the "Quickpass" or whatever its called and did both IOA and the original Universal Studios in one day, from opening to closing. That's the plan for Harry Potter when it opens, one day at IOA (probably only there because the crowds will be horrendous) and then the rest of the vacation no matter how long the duration at WDW.

Last time I went, last year actually, I spent about 30 minutes in USO before bolting from the place.... I had reasons though, which I went into once, and won't get into again...

I'm totally out of the loop on this Potter craze. I've seen snippets of one of the movies I think, (British kid in dorky glasses with wizard powers) but I don't know anything about the franchise and it just doesn't interest me. And junior high kids like reading the books? Or something like that? If it has kids reading, it must have merit.

Anything that gets kids reading today has merit....

I agree, by no means are people going to stop going to Disney, I think the effect it will have is that people may spend 1/2 days at Universal/IOA instead a 1/2 days they would normally spend in the world.

Although i'm sure a lot of familes who stay for 7 days or more would do this anyway?

Exactly... I worked with and know plenty if people who have gone to Orlando for 7 days, and have taken a day or two to see Universal and Sea World, but spent the remaining time in Disney... I really don't think you'll see much of a sway from this thinking at all.. it is the weekenders that may not spend any time in Disney, or a handful of locals....

Well depending on when you go I have been to Universal where the longest wait was 20 minutes for the incredible Hulk. I don't think, and this is my opinion, that every family that goes to any theme park will try to do every attraction there is. Due to the fact that not everyone wants to experience the same things. I think its great that Universal is finally updating one section of their park. And yes I will go to Islands of Adventure to check it out. But I do not see this as THE thing that will make Universal the most popular theme park in Orlando. It will be a great revenue stream for them.

This points to the fact that people just cannot and will not ride certain attractions... I go on everything, thrill rides included.. But I have friends in the Orlando area who refuse to go on any kind of thrill ride... Harry Potter won't make Universal the most popular park in Orlando... Not by along shot...

Teens and college age people go to Universal already anyway, so what's the difference??? :shrug: I don't understand why people think they don't go now... They do.... And you know what??? They will go to Disney too.. So, this really isn't going to be a huge blow, if any, to Disney...

EPCOT Explorer

Disney is brilliant targeting Potters weaknesses. And I have a feeling it's just step one in an overall strategy.

Teens and young adults don't have the disposable income folks that are more established do as a general rule. It's a move to keep the family on property longer. Remember, Potters signature ride and it's big draw is probably going to be height restrictive. So, does a family with younger children go all the way to Uni to look at fancy facades, or do they stay at Disney and enjoy all the cool interactive Fantasyland stuff designed just for them? :shrug: See?

So you are saying HP is going to do nothing?:confused::rolleyes: I find that very hard to believe. Despite the age group this thing WILL be drawing people away. How can it not?

jt04

So you are saying HP is going to do nothing?:confused::rolleyes: I find that very hard to believe. Despite the age group this thing WILL be drawing people away. How can it not?

Not at all. I'm saying the FL refurb is a brilliant first step for responding to HP. I'm really wondering what age group will be restricted from the new HP mega ride. Obviously Dueling Dragons is rather restrictive.

Captain Chaos

Exactly, and not only will Harry be more timeless than a land built to sell merchandise (Cars), there are more stories within the HP universe than Cars (even with the sequel). There is alot of potential for the WWoHP, especially as technology gets better. A quidditch ride or simulator almost seems like a must.

Harry Potter being timeless is an opinion, not a fact, especially since we are still in the middle of all thing Harry Potter being released.. Let's see where the franchise is 5 -10 years when it is all complete... Maybe even 20 years... That isn't exactly timeless... it is true that even the most popular franchises lose their popularity over time... Potter will too... Something newer and better will replace it... Such is a fact of life... I am not saying Potter will die and fade into obscurity.. But its popularity will die down... a ton....

As for the multiple posts about Universal being inferior, etc. Get a grip. Both resorts (UO and WDW) have positives and negatives and things that the other could never offer. I believe Universal should be commended for at least trying to improve themselves and diversify their offerings to reach a broader audience. Disney, IMO is going in the opposite direction but is still a great place. Harry Potter is the biggest thing since Star Wars and Indiana Jones, and I don't think that should be overlooked.

As for the comment regarding maintenance, Universal attractions are generally kept up better IMO (and I'm not the only one who says that)

It isn't fair for you to tell people to get a grip... People are allowed to have their opinions, just like you... Just because someone feels Universal is inferior to Disney doesn't mean they are right or wrong... it is strictly their opinion and they are allowed to have it.... I visited both parks.. I had good times and bad times in both.... However, mostly bad times in Universal... So, based on my experiences, I can form my opinion that Universal is inferior... Granted, there are things I do like about Universal (Spiderman being one of them) and things I hate about Disney (Mission Space).... But, I shouldn't be told to get a grip cause I think Universal is inferior...

Captain Chaos

Not at all. I'm saying the FL refurb is a brilliant first step for responding to HP. I'm really wondering what age group will be restricted from the new HP mega ride. Obviously Dueling Dragons is rather restrictive.

I will tell you right now... Majority of the vacationers in Orlando... Those with kids... Sure, college aged people go away.. And sure, they WILL do both.... Especially when they get great deals on rooms in Disney for Spring Break... But, most College students don't go to Orlando for spring break anyway... And they still won't just cause Potter opens...

This is just like when IOA was opening.. The hype was unbelievable and what happened??? Not a dent in Disney's attendance... The same thing will happen here.. Maybe a small little decrease, if anything... Nothing to worry about... It isn't going to change anything in Orlando.. More people will still visit Disney.. IOA may see a little bump in attendance.... Nothing totally drastic... So all this hoopla will be for nothing again...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom