Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

The_CEO

I really don't see why people are so concerned for Disney over Universal's expansion. "What does this mean for WDW?" It doesn't really mean anything, Universal isn't opening up a third park.. Just a very well planned expansion that will hopefully, for Disney's sake draw crowds away from the parks for awhile and let them "invest". *Cough * Fantasyland Overhaul* Cough*.

jt04

I really don't see why people are so concerned for Disney over Universal's expansion. "What does this mean for WDW?" It doesn't really mean anything, Universal isn't opening up a third park.. Just a very well planned expansion that will hopefully, for Disney's sake draw crowds away from the parks for awhile and let them "invest". *Cough * Fantasyland Overhaul* Cough*.

If Disney doesn't "invest" Universal will begin to really hurt them. Heck, if Disney doesn't invest, Gatorland will start impacting their gate.

goreesha

Harry Potter at Universal is actually going to make it more likely that we'll visit WDW more often. My wife is a huge Harry Potter fan. She is reading the book series for the third time, currently. On the other hand, she is only a moderate fan of WDW (I am the resident fanatic). Now she has extra incentive to go to Orlando, but we're not going to go down there and skip WDW to see Mr. Potter and pals. We'll just tack on an extra day or two.

The point is, WDW is going to get more of my money next year thanks to Harry Potter.

whylightbulb

I wish I could tell you my sources. Lets just say I have been working extremely close with Universal Creative and Universal Engineering.
I'm not sure what some on the team are telling you but nobody that I know of, including Mr. C., is willing to say for sure that the ride will be delayed that long at this point. I have seen similar issues on various projects and I'm now starting to see a turnaround in attitudes which makes me optimistic for a summer opening, maybe even sooner. The main thing I'm concerned about is whether we'll ever be able to sign this over to operations without us babysitting it. This is by far the most technically advanced theme park attraction built to date. All you people that are dismissing it as just another Universal ride are going to be pleasantly surprised once we unleash this puppy on the theme park world.

CaptainMichael

All you people that are dismissing it as just another Universal ride are going to be pleasantly surprised once we unleash this puppy on the theme park world.

I cannot wait!

If Disney were building the WWoHP, the people on this site would be estatic, but since it's Universal, it's "no big deal", "won't be well maintained", and "just a fad".

SirGoofy

I cannot wait!

If Disney were building the WWoHP, the people on this site would be estatic, but since it's Universal, it's "no big deal", "won't be well maintained", and "just a fad".

Yup, it's amazing how close minded people can be. If this exact same expansion was coming to DHS, people would be wetting themselves over here.

sweetpee_1993

Its not a whole park, its a land. That's been pointed out on these forums more than once. Its no different than Disney making Carsland for DCA. I'd put money on Harry Potter being more timeless than Cars. In the end it really doesn't matter, what matters is the attractions and their quality. Everyone still seems to love all the attractions at Disney from movies that were released 30, 40, 50 and more years ago.

Edit: You did get that those pictures are from a carnival, right? Its a joke.

I guess that goes to show how much I've read up on the HP park thing. Busted and oh-so guilty! :lol: I was under the impression it was a full park of sorts from way back when I read the 1st press releases. It makes more sense as a land vs. it's own entity. Oh well. Spanked and I deserve it. I can admit it and I'm totally woman enough to own it (and/or enjoy it, take your pick). :zipit: Moving on...

Still not feeling that an added "land" at a Universal park will change all that much for WDW. People who want to go to Universal enough to give up a day of their Disney vacation and spend the extra money will still do so and those who aren't interested enough to give up Disney days won't. I don't think that will change with this addition for Universal's park. Also, I can't imagine that people who are planning vacations will choose an entire Universal vacation package staying on that property, etc. over a WDW vacation package, etc. because of the Harry Potter thing. I don't feel it will be a situation where a family who would have gone to WDW will change their destination to Uni thus taking away business from Disney. I know better than to never-say-never but I don't think it will be so many people that it makes a big difference for WDW. Universal may add business but I don't see that business being taken from WDW. It's just increased interest in their park(s) for now. I wish them every success.

Oh yeah! I just remembered! I *have* been to Universal. Sorta. Hubby & I went to City Walk in '99. I guess that's the experience that impressed upon me the total lack of motivation or interest in anything further into the Uni properties. Overall it was very much not my cup of tea. :hammer:

Lee

Adventurer
All you people that are dismissing it as just another Universal ride are going to be pleasantly surprised once we unleash this puppy on the theme park world.
Likely true....but I'm going to need to see some art/plans before I say for sure.:lookaroun

sweetpee_1993

Yup, it's amazing how close minded people can be. If this exact same expansion was coming to DHS, people would be wetting themselves over here.

I wouldn't say I'd wet myself but I'd be more interested and excited at the prospect of something different to see if it were part of the WDW parks. My point is that for me, and this is strictly for me, as much as I love the Harry Potter books and have enjoyed the movies with my family the addition of the themed land isn't enough to make me feel motivated in any way to spend additional money to buy tickets to that park (I'm a FL Seasonal passholder) and arrange transportation via cab, shuttle, or car rental (we fly down & use ME). It's just not something I would be interested in doing. Now to go to Discovery Cove, heavens YES! I've never done that before and would think that experience with my family would be completely worth the added expense... :cool:

If others are excited for the HP thing then I'm happy for them. I'm glad everyone has happy places to go enjoy themselves. That's wonderful. The OP asked if people thought the HP addition would have a huge impact on WDW and my feeling is no. I've used myself as an example and described my feelings pertaining to this topic because I can't speak for others. I'm not bashing Uni, tho. Also, there might be a biased audience in this forum considering it's "wdwmagic". :p

_Scar

I wouldn't say I'd wet myself but I'd be more interested and excited at the prospect of something different to see if it were part of the WDW parks. My point is that for me, and this is strictly for me, as much as I love the Harry Potter books and have enjoyed the movies with my family the addition of the themed land isn't enough to make me feel motivated in any way to spend additional money to buy tickets to that park (I'm a FL Seasonal passholder) and arrange transportation via cab, shuttle, or car rental (we fly down & use ME). It's just not something I would be interested in doing. Now to go to Discovery Cove, heavens YES! I've never done that before and would think that experience with my family would be completely worth the added expense... :cool:

If others are excited for the HP thing then I'm happy for them. I'm glad everyone has happy places to go enjoy themselves. That's wonderful. The OP asked if people thought the HP addition would have a huge impact on WDW and my feeling is no. I've used myself as an example and described my feelings pertaining to this topic because I can't speak for others. I'm not bashing Uni, tho. Also, there might be a biased audience in this forum considering it's "wdwmagic". :p

You'd be missing out on the 2 dark rides in the world and tons of other top quality rides. And I still like US better :D! You're missing out. At least try it.

whylightbulb

Likely true....but I'm going to need to see some art/plans before I say for sure.:lookaroun
LOL you missed the one night I posted with a new avatar and then quickly changed it back. I'm not saying it was concept art for the HP ride but maybe it was:zipit:

whylightbulb

..the addition of the themed land isn't enough to make me feel motivated in any way to spend additional money to buy tickets to that park (I'm a FL Seasonal passholder) and arrange transportation via cab, shuttle, or car rental (we fly down & use ME). It's just not something I would be interested in doing.
perhaps that is because you don't know enough about the land to get excited about? I wish Universal would begin a marketing campaign to build anticipation further for what will be a spectacular experience.

_Scar

perhaps that is because you don't know enough about the land to get excited about? I wish Universal would begin a marketing campaign to build anticipation further for what will be a spectacular experience.

Do you work at Universal? When is Rockit going to be up and running for the public?

Computer Magic

I dare say that during the course of any given day, 20% of guests staying on Disney property probably leave property anyway, so where is the difference???

Again, if people are staying 5 days or longer, the chances of them staying on Disney property the entire time are slim to none... So those 20% are already leaving properrty for a day, maybe two... The only difference is, instead of spending the day in Orlando, at the cost on a beach, or shopping in some Florida malls, they are going to Universal...

I don't find it surprising at all... Most people take a week off from work for vacation.. There is no reason to think, other than their financial burden, that they won't spend at least 5 days in Orlando... During the summer there is no school and the summer is when most people take their vacations from work.. So, that isn't an issue...

I speak for myself on this... yes, I can go over to USO and NOT do both... I am not to fond of Universal proper.. And the only think I care for in IOA is the Spiderman ride... And a family with little kids may see that new red coaster realize their children can't go on it... Then, they don't go... Especially if those kids want to see Potter again...

Yes, there are families that do stay 7 to 10 days... Some people CAN afford it, believe it or not... Every October I go for 10 days... And I stated during those 10 days, not every day is spent on Disney property... My belief is a lot of college age people/young adults do go to Disney and still have fun... And I believe most visit both parks... I don't think that will change all that much... Except for those new college grads who sadly cannot find employment in this economy.... Then, they shouldn't be going to either park anyway....

1 or 2 days at the most....

I know I can go for 10 days.... And I did say I believe a lot of families go for 7days as well... Granted, there are plenty that only go for 4, maybe 5 days... Those are the families Disney needs to keep on property... But, the 7 to 10 day vacationers will spend at least 2 or 3 days off property anyway....

2 days is all you need really....

Last time I went, last year actually, I spent about 30 minutes in USO before bolting from the place.... I had reasons though, which I went into once, and won't get into again...

Anything that gets kids reading today has merit....

Exactly... I worked with and know plenty if people who have gone to Orlando for 7 days, and have taken a day or two to see Universal and Sea World, but spent the remaining time in Disney... I really don't think you'll see much of a sway from this thinking at all.. it is the weekenders that may not spend any time in Disney, or a handful of locals....

This points to the fact that people just cannot and will not ride certain attractions... I go on everything, thrill rides included.. But I have friends in the Orlando area who refuse to go on any kind of thrill ride... Harry Potter won't make Universal the most popular park in Orlando... Not by along shot...

Teens and college age people go to Universal already anyway, so what's the difference??? :shrug: I don't understand why people think they don't go now... They do.... And you know what??? They will go to Disney too.. So, this really isn't going to be a huge blow, if any, to Disney...
Only Disney know for a fact how many people leave Disney. However, just by entering the park, the ticket is used. If they stay on property, the hotel is paid. The only known fact, is Disney wants you to stay within Disney and spend your money on them. Disney wants that monopoly on your money. In competition, you don't want your competitor getting your money or advantage. You don't want to open the door as the guest might like what they see. No good can come from it as Disney sees it.

Now as a consumer you love competition, it drives quaility. We got DHS because of UNI. We get rumors about AKL, FL, and others because of HP.

whylightbulb

I saw it. And it was spectacular.

I actually think it was my fault it was taken down!:lol::lookaroun
It really wasn't your fault. I had planned on putting up a teaser for a very short time just for fun. You have no idea how much I want to spill the beans regarding this ride! It has been both amusing and frustrating looking at all the posts dismissing this ride. Those that claim they aren't interested enough to spend $70 or whatever it is for admission to see this ride clearly don't know what they are saying no to. I wish I could tell them!!!

Computer Magic

I'm hearing an interesting point about Disney moving away from older families/couples and setting their sites on girls and young families. I'm not if that is true or not, but if it is, that is a big mistake by Disney. Who has more disposble income, young familes or older couples. I know I have spent more in Disney as I get older. I would say at least double my cost today vs my very first trip and I have no kids. Now do I spend the same as a family of 4 with 2 girls, I don't know...

I remember the 90's Disney looking at newly married couples spending the honeymoon in Disney...That is were we ended up and look where it brought me. I will say, I have been looking at other vacation destinations lately.

Captain Chaos

Only Disney know for a fact how many people leave Disney. However, just by entering the park, the ticket is used. If they stay on property, the hotel is paid. The only known fact, is Disney wants you to stay within Disney and spend your money on them. Disney wants that monopoly on your money. In competition, you don't want your competitor getting your money or advantage. You don't want to open the door as the guest might like what they see. No good can come from it as Disney sees it.

Now as a consumer you love competition, it drives quaility. We got DHS because of UNI. We get rumors about AKL, FL, and others because of HP.

Ohh, I know only Disney knows for a fact how many people leave property... I was responding to people here using their 20% figure... I figure there are a lot of people who leave property.. Disney knows people will leave property... And sure, they will try to do what they can to keep them... Sometimes it works, most times, i dare say, it won't... There is just too much to do and see in the area... Again, the people who stay 7 days or longer, I believe, will leave property at least twice... Those who stay only 3 or 4 days, won't... And it is those people (the 3-4-5 day people) that Disney is going to have to keep on property somehow, instead of trying out the new HP area....

And as a consumer, I love competition... I love the fact Universal is finally doing something that seems to be worthwhile... I cannot get myself too excited over this though because I am not a die hard Potter fan... To me it makes no sense to get yourself overly hyped about something because, in the end, no matter how fun things are, there is going to be something that disappoints you.. probably something very small...

Do I want this to do good for Universal? Sure thing.. Cause then it may wake up the comatose mouse... Am I running to Orlando next year to see this new land?? No way!!!!! Will I try it out in 2011??? maybe...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom