Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

hokielutz

Not at all, Potter will stand the test of time.

You don't know that, but it sure is apparent that you want to believe that.
No one will know that answer until at least 2 years following the close of the last movie in the theaters (HP and the DH: part 2). Then you can start measuring fall-off in attendance and book sales to see where it really stands.

GothMickey

And I am not going to...Harry Potter HAS made $391 million. Why would you exclude money the film has made? It made the money. Bottom line. It's a total figure. G force has only made $31 million as a total. Plus, $222 million isn't that bad of a figure for two weeks for a North American release. Either way, to compare a movie about hamsters to Harry Potter is completely insane in the first place. It doesn't touch Potter. I don't see why we are still stuck on it 6 pages later. There is really no debate here. I post what I want. Either read it, or don't. No point in dragging it on and on and on...:snore:

Heed your own words please. You don't want it dragged out, but, you drag it out. All he was saying was you cannot compare 1 movie's intake of a worldwide gross and compare it to a movie which has not had its worldwide release yet. Compare domestic numbers, then, when G-Force opens worldwide, compare both.

Now, let's freaking move on from this idioitc debate. Geez, I feel like I am back in high school witnessing the jocks vs the preps.

GothMickey

You don't know that, but it sure is apparent that you want to believe that.
No one will know that answer until at least 2 years following the close of the last movie in the theaters (HP and the DH: part 2). Then you can start measuring fall-off in attendance and book sales to see where it really stands.

In reality, you have to give it more than 2 years. Give it 5 or 10, then see. In book sales and movie intake (obviously since there will be no more movies after 2011), yes, you will see a drop off. As far as the attraction goes, I don't think you'll see that huge drop off.

JustInTime

Heed your own words please. You don't want it dragged out, but, you drag it out. All he was saying was you cannot compare 1 movie's intake of a worldwide gross and compare it to a movie which has not had its worldwide release yet. Compare domestic numbers, then, when G-Force opens worldwide, compare both.

Now, let's freaking move on from this idioitc debate. Geez, I feel like I am back in high school witnessing the jocks vs the preps.

I was just responding to everyone else. Plus, how are you helping matters? :shrug:

P.S. I can compare what I want.

jt04

I think everyone is missing the point. Nobody thinks G-Force will outperform Potter. Totally different business model and intent for each project. The only point is that a low budget, poorly reviewed, project designed to appeal to a younger crowd beat Potter so early in Potter's release. That speaks for itself.

GothMickey

I think everyone is missing the point. Nobody thinks G-Force will outperform Potter. Totally different business model and intent for each project. The only point is that a low budget, poorly reviewed, project designed to appeal to a younger crowd beat Potter so early in Potter's release. That speaks for itself.

Jt, I get your point. 61% is a huge drop off. But, don't most movie drop off a lot in their second week of release? I bet you it will drop more this weekend with more new releases coming out. Such is the movie industry. And I will also bet you that Potter beats G-Force this coming weekend. But, why does it matter? Like I said, some people just enjoy different things.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What`s the point in arguing about what made what money?

The land is being built.

The ride is being installed.

It will be stunning.

End.

jt04

Jt, I get your point. 61% is a huge drop off. But, don't most movie drop off a lot in their second week of release? I bet you it will drop more this weekend with more new releases coming out. Such is the movie industry. And I will also bet you that Potter beats G-Force this coming weekend. But, why does it matter? Like I said, some people just enjoy different things.

You say you get my point and then go right back to the Potter vs. G-Force spin. I am not comparing Potter to G-Force. I'm saying that people are hungry for family entertainment as an alternative to Potter. G-Forces numbers make that very clear. I only wish Alvin and the Chipmunks or Kung Fu Panda had been released this year against Potter.

I think Potter largely succeeds through marketing and any well crafted alternative would prove that it's numbers are largely based on a well run publicity machine. It's an example of "Walmarting" that some accuse WDW of engaging in.

GothMickey

You say you get my point and then go right back to the Potter vs. G-Force spin. I am not comparing Potter to G-Force. I'm saying that people are hungry for family entertainment as an alternative to Potter. G-Forces numbers make that very clear. I only wish Alvin and the Chipmunks or Kung Fu Panda had been released this year against Potter.

I think Potter largely succeeds through marketing and any well crafted alternative would prove that it's numbers are largely based on a well run publicity machine. It's an example of "Walmarting" that some accuse WDW of engaging in.

Curious, why do you think Potter's marketing is an example of Walmarting? I am not knocking you, just wondering. And I wasn't still comparing the movies. I was trying to make a point that movies tend to take in less in their second weekend, thus allowing for others to over take it, and it doesn't reflect on anything about the movies.

As for Potter: I have read the books. I have seen all the movies. I own them on DVD. Potter is a fantastic story. I like it. I enjoy it. The ride sounds like it will be awesome.

Jasonflz

Here is my speculation. This is what happens with every kids movie so I don't get why everyone's busting a nut.

G-Force will definitely do great in opening weekend. T.V. promotion will get tons of happy go lucky kids to see the film right away. The second week rolls around, the film has a large drop-off.

G-Force will most likely be at #3 or 4 on the box office by next week and HP will most likely still be at #2. G-Force appeals to a much smaller crowd than HP. This happened with almost every kids movie like this that was released against a major film. (Unless it is Pixar, in which HP should be scared.)

jt04

Curious, why do you think Potter's marketing is an example of Walmarting? I am not knocking you, just wondering. And I wasn't still comparing the movies. I was trying to make a point that movies tend to take in less in their second weekend, thus allowing for others to over take it, and it doesn't reflect on anything about the movies.

As for Potter: I have read the books. I have seen all the movies. I own them on DVD. Potter is a fantastic story. I like it. I enjoy it. The ride sounds like it will be awesome.

I went to the last movie and was entirely underwhelmed. I've seen parts of several of the films on TV and have never understood the mania. They have decent special effects but nothing on the scale of LOTR. More comperable to the Narnia series. The characters are not compelling either. And I don't hear anyone refer to Potter as classic literature. I just don't get the attraction. So in my mind it has to be the marketing. It's state of the art marketing of a decent product that appeals to the masses but is not necessarily very compelling. In other words, "walmarting".

hokielutz

No one said it would be... And it won't be dead in 2011 and 2012 and 2020 for that matter... But, will it fade the farther away from the last movie we get, sure will.. it is inevitable... Everything fades... Something newer and better will come out and replace it as the next biggest thing... Doesn't mean Potter will die out completely, but it will fade in popularity, especially since JK said nothing more will be coming out... Maybe she changes her mind, maybe she doesn't... But if she keeps her word, then I don't see the current popularity staying at this level.. But that is my opinion, and I could be wrong...

Totally agree.

I've read all the books and loved them. I've seen all the movies to date, and the movies really help me see the scenes in the book play out.

(As an aside, the Half Blood Prince movie is currently tracking with less total tickets sold at this same point in time as did Order of the Phoenix.... even after a nearly one year delay to extend hype. That's a bit disturbing, and to get beat-out on its second weekend by Disney hamsters movie?)

getting back on track... popularity for Potter will begin to gradually fade after the movie and DVD releases are done, if no new material or spin-off series are created.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom