Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

GothMickey

I went to the last movie and was entirely underwhelmed. I've seen parts of several of the films on TV and have never understood the mania. They have decent special effects but nothing on the scale of LOTR. More comperable to the Narnia series. The characters are not compelling either. And I don't hear anyone refer to Potter as classic literature. I just don't get the attraction. So in my mind it has to be the marketing. It's state of the art marketing of a decent product that appeals to the masses but is not necessarily very compelling. In other words, "walmarting".

I really have nothing to say to this. I'll just sit back and wait for the fireworks.

GothMickey

Totally agree.

I've read all the books and loved them. I've seen all the movies to date, and the movies really help me see the scenes in the book play out.

(As an aside, the Half Blood Prince movie is currently tracking with less total tickets sold at this same point in time as did Order of the Phoenix.... even after a nearly one year delay to extend hype. That's a bit disturbing, and to get beat-out on its second weekend by Disney hamsters movie?)

getting back on track... popularity for Potter will begin to gradually fade after the movie and DVD releases are done, if no new material or spin-off series are created.

Getting a bigger tub of popcorn. The fireworks will be bigger over this post.

hokielutz

In reality, you have to give it more than 2 years. Give it 5 or 10, then see. In book sales and movie intake (obviously since there will be no more movies after 2011), yes, you will see a drop off. As far as the attraction goes, I don't think you'll see that huge drop off.

I said that you can START to measure drop-off following the end of the release of Potter on the big screen.

After 2 years, the bloom will be off the rose, and promotions not related to the park will be gone, and the park opening hype may be at its end. Then you can start measurements. I'm not saying you will see a 5%-10% drop... but I am saying 2 years is the time it would be safe to start recording, and watching.

hokielutz

I plan on it. :lol: Just seeing how defensive they get in here, your post will really blow their lids.

I don't mean to start another debate between the two movies.... (now I see one was already had this morning because I have't gotten past the first 250 posts of this thread)... but I just find it strange that a 2-bit CGI animal movie about super-hero hamsters, that I did not consider to be much of anything than a B- movie for family fun, would sell more domestic tickets than Harry Potter in its second weekend. (even though G-Force is Disney, I don't plan on seeing it until it hits Netflix)

I know HP brooms the floor overall with the g-force squad, but whether its a product of the national economy or whatever... I couldn't see the blockbuster HP falling behind this movie in Domestic take for its #2 weekend.

GothMickey

I don't mean to start another debate between the two movies.... (now I see one was already had this morning because I have't gotten past the first 250 posts of this thread)... but I just find it strange that a 2-bit CGI animal movie about super-hero hamsters, that I did not consider to be much of anything than a B- movie for family fun, would sell more domestic tickets than Harry Potter in its second weekend. (even though G-Force is Disney, I don't plan on seeing it until it hits Netflix)

I know HP brooms the floor overall with the g-force squad, but whether its a product of the national economy or whatever... I couldn't see the blockbuster HP falling behind this movie in Domestic take for its #2 weekend.

Well, reading a movie fan message board, I can now understand the huge drop off. Had nothing to do with it being in its second weekend. I think it has more to do with a lot of people being very disappointed in it, therefore, not getting repeat viewings. You have to read what a lot of people are saying about it. I don't agree with them, but, hey, they are allowed their opinions. However, I do think the fact that there is a lot of disappointment in the movie, repeat viewings did not take place this past weekend.

jt04

It's because Universal got it. If Disney had the rights, jt would be praising it.

Not true Krank. I was happy when Rowling walked away. A part of me is also happy Narnia left Disney. That has been my biggest complaint against the current regime. Eisner, to his credit, understood Narnia's potential.

GothMickey

It's because Universal got it. If Disney had the rights, jt would be praising it.

Not just jt. A lot of people. I do recall several saying they hoped Disney didn't get the ride though. So, who knows. Personally, I don't care who got the ride. We should be able to enjoy it where ever it went, even 6 Flags. :lookaroun

GothMickey

Not true Krank. I was happy when Rowling walked away. A part of me is also happy Narnia left Disney. That has been my biggest complaint against the current regime. Eisner, to his credit, understood Narnia's potential.

Let's face it, Rowling didn't want to work with Disney anyway. She would have made a mess in her pants if Disney buckled to her outrageous demands.

JustInTime

I went to the last movie and was entirely underwhelmed. I've seen parts of several of the films on TV and have never understood the mania. They have decent special effects but nothing on the scale of LOTR. More comperable to the Narnia series. The characters are not compelling either. And I don't hear anyone refer to Potter as classic literature. I just don't get the attraction. So in my mind it has to be the marketing. It's state of the art marketing of a decent product that appeals to the masses but is not necessarily very compelling. In other words, "walmarting".

It's already classic literature. That is all I am going to say about this post.

GothMickey

It's already classic literature. That is all I am going to say about this post.

Um, no. You seriously have to stop propping this up to be bigger than it is.

Saying it does not make it true. Nor do books sold.

Just check any list of classic literature. Potter is no where to be found. Will it appear there over time? Who knows. But, as of now, it is NOT already classic literature.

Take them for what they are. The books are fun and a good read. But classic literature? Sorry, not yet.

Horizonsfan

Saying it does not make it true. Nor do books sold.

A classic book doesn't equal a good book.

As with any art form, judgement of what is good in literature is entirely subjective. Modern/New isn't always bad and Classic/Old isn't always good. This whole literature debate going on here is pointless.

As far as WWoHP goes, I'm already planning to spend a day or two at UO once the ride actually opens. I went to IOA in 2001 and was underwhelmed (though Spidy was incredible), I'm hoping WWoHP will completely change my feelings. While the planned FL refurb will be nice, as will a refreshed SM, WWoHP excites me a whole lot more.

GothMickey

As far as WWoHP goes, I'm already planning to spend a day or two at UO once the ride actually opens. I went to IOA in 2001 and was underwhelmed (though Spidy was incredible), I'm hoping WWoHP will completely change my feelings. While the planned FL refurb will be nice, as will a refreshed SM, WWoHP excites me a whole lot more.

I am always underwhelmed when I go to Universal and IOA. I skipped them this year because of that. However, I suck it up because I love the Spiderman ride. I am actually hoping that Wizarding World changes IOA in general. Hopefully this is the start of making the park better. The park as so much potential, but fails to deliver in my opinion. Potter should start changing that. And as long as the ride is open, I will spend just one day to go check it out in 2010.

epcot85

IOA can probably beat any WDW park one on one once it gets HP, but WDW as a whole versus USF is WDW hands down, no questions better.

I agree, but wouldn't it be cool if Disney would just throw the gauntlet down and recreate some things on the scale of DisneySea in Florida, Universal wouldn't have a chance at all...that would be it. Wishful thinking? Prob so..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom