Harry Potter is arriving sooner than expected. What does this mean for WDW?

The Conundrum

Original Poster
Let's face it, Rowling didn't want to work with Disney anyway. She would have made a mess in her pants if Disney buckled to her outrageous demands.

Completly untrue.

Rowling was very much willing to work with Disney but overtime became frustrated with Disney's mandate to build everything on the cheap plus Eisner kept sticking his nose in saying that instead of putting Potter in the parks it should be used as "indoor entertainment centers" in countries like Malasyia and Japan.

There is even a rumor that Eisner basically told Rowling Disney would pay her for the theme park rights simply to sit on them just to prevent the competition from getting them!

BTW, Universal and Disney for a time were also actively lobbying the Tolkien estate for the theme park rights to LOTR. Disney stoped after they acquired the Narnia franchise and Pirates of the Caribbean turned out to be a hit. Not sure what happeend between Universal and Tolkien Estate though. Maybe a LOTR attraction with walk around charecters will be Universal's next major project :D

Horizonsfan

G-Force - Rotten Tomatos: 20% approval; Critic Average: C; Yahoo Movies: B; IMDB: 4.9/10
Harry Potter - Rotten Tomatos: 83% approval; Critic Average: B+; Yahoo Movies: B+; IMDB: 7.8/10;

Just trying to balance it out...

jt04

G-Force - Rotten Tomatos: 20% approval; Critic Average: C; Yahoo Movies: B; IMDB: 4.9/10
Harry Potter - Rotten Tomatos: 83% approval; Critic Average: B+; Yahoo Movies: B+; IMDB: 7.8/10;

Just trying to balance it out...

You are actually making my point and don't even realize it.

Harry Potter made 159.7 million in its first five days :) still a long way to go too.

NOBODY thinks g-force will beat potter's totals.

That is not Potter's real problem.

CAPS for emphasis only. :wave:

jt04

Completly untrue.

Rowling was very much willing to work with Disney but overtime became frustrated with Disney's mandate to build everything on the cheap plus Eisner kept sticking his nose in saying that instead of putting Potter in the parks it should be used as "indoor entertainment centers" in countries like Malasyia and Japan.

There is even a rumor that Eisner basically told Rowling Disney would pay her for the theme park rights simply to sit on them just to prevent the competition from getting them!

BTW, Universal and Disney for a time were also actively lobbying the Tolkien estate for the theme park rights to LOTR. Disney stoped after they acquired the Narnia franchise and Pirates of the Caribbean turned out to be a hit. Not sure what happeend between Universal and Tolkien Estate though. Maybe a LOTR attraction with walk around charecters will be Universal's next major project :D

Disney did not aquire the Narnia franchise. They only had distribution rights for the films and a mutual agreement for the static walk throughs to display props. I can't imagine the negotiations that must have taken place to have the witch character appear in the first walk through.

As for LOTR at Uni, it will never happen.

krankenstein

Disney did not aquire the Narnia franchise. They only had distribution rights for the films and a mutual agreement for the static walk throughs to display props. I can't imagine the negotiations that must have taken place to have the witch character appear in the first walk through.

If Narnia would have been as successful as Eisner had hoped, Disney had more planned.

jt04

If Narnia would have been as successful as Eisner had hoped, Disney had more planned.

Disney only had distribution rights. They were never sold the movie rights. Yes, Disney and the film makers were going to release all the movies but it was not to be. I think the new movies will be much better off for it. Time will tell.

Dawn Treader started filming this week!

mraw

Please forgive me for not reading every post in this thread, and I apologize if I'm repeating something mentioned earlier, but "... the Half-Blood Prince" premieres in IMAX 3D this Wednesday, and that's what kept me from seeing the movie thus far. There's a chance that revenue could increase based on that.

_Scar

Please forgive me for not reading every post in this thread, and I apologize if I'm repeating something mentioned earlier, but "... the Half-Blood Prince" premieres in IMAX 3D this Wednesday, and that's what kept me from seeing the movie thus far. There's a chance that revenue could increase based on that.

very true.

testtracker

Completly untrue.

Wasnt Eisner long gone when potter land was being auctioned?

Captain Chaos

Wasnt Eisner long gone when potter land was being auctioned?

Eisner left in 2005... As far back as 2003, the Universal Orlando president said Disney had wrapped up the rights to Potter for the theme park.

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/news/response.cfm?ID=1208

Now, I am not sure if Eisner meddled or JK was difficult to work with, probably a bit of both... At that time as CEO fe was very meddlesome... And ruined a lot of working relationships Disney had...

Captain Chaos

What I find funny about that whole thing is, if Disney did have the rights wrapped up as Universal Orlando's president said, in 2003, and yet Universal wound up with Potter after all, what went wrong??? Or did he really now know what he was talking about???

CaptainMichael

If I may break apart the bickering for a moment, there were some names trademarked for the WWoHP:

AttractionsMagazine.com said:
Some of the trademarked names are familiar: Three Broomsticks, Butterbeer, Ollivanders, Honeydukes, and Zonko’s. Those were all choices (some being winners) of past official polls for the Wizarding World of Harry Potter.

Beyond those, six more trademarks may point to other areas of the Wizarding World and could even be the names of the attractions within it:

- Most notably, the name “Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey” is filed under “Entertainment services in the nature of an amusement park ride.” It may be safe to assume that this will be the name of the large new ride that is being constructed in the back of the park.

- Likewise, listed under the same category are “Flight of the Hippogriff” and “Dragon Challenge,” which are likely going to be the new names for the existing Flying Unicorn and Dueling Dragons rides.

- Four other trademark names are also listed. “Owl Post” and “Dervish and Banges” are categorized as retail stores. “Hogsmeade Village” is listed as “Entertainment services in the nature of an amusement park attraction, namely, a themed area.” “Magic Neep” is categorized under “Restaurant services, namely, providing of food and beverages for consumption.”

Gives credence to the name "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey". Not sure where "Magic Neep" came from.

Captain Chaos

If I may break apart the bickering for a moment, there were some names trademarked for the WWoHP:

Gives credence to the name "Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey". Not sure where "Magic Neep" came from.

Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey??? Does sound like a title for one of the books... I like it actually... :)

Captain Chaos

I'm wondering if it's a "forbidden journey" because muggles aren't allowed in Hogwarts.

:shrug:

By the way, I received all 7 of the Potter books in the mail today... I shall begin reading them tonight...

Also, CaptainMichael, do you have any idea about what I posted above??? I been searching online and only come up with the link above saying Disney had secured the rights... I am really wondering what went wrong if that was the case...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom