Got Your Insider Updates Right Here

S.E.A.

I agree in theory. Pirates is not something that should be overdone, wo knowsd if the movies will stand the test of time.

Star Wars on the other hand has survived that test for 30 years and it's still relevant, even if you despise the last 3 movies. It works, there's a TON of source material to draw from that is varied enough to let the imagination go wild. MGM is about MOVIES. Star Wars isn't merely a flash in the pan. Countless video games, novels & 6 movies exist. It's almost weird to think that there really hasn't been a TRUE Star Wars attraction to this day. Star Tours is a rather weak effort IMHO.

actually, it's not the Pirates movies that are the core of the Pirates craze, it's the whole idealism of the Piratical lifestyle that draws people in. I actually think it would make more sense to build a theme around something that spans different cultures the way Piracy does rather than a group of sci-fi movies that are still fairly new that they aren't as mythical as that of the lives of pirates. It's not the film franchise that makes Pirates more relevant and therefor more deserving of a land than Star Wars, it's the fact that it's based on stories and lore that are part of human history.

Kalikala

The Star Tours updates sound great! With Lucas being so in to cutting-edge technology, I'm a bit surprised they waited this long.

I do hope that they don't try to turn it into a more intense ride- with SW appealing to such a wide age range, I'd hate to see it become something that is too intense for a fairly large part of its demographic.

Since1976

I'm getting a strong BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE RIDE vibe from this. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed with that attraction at Universal. But then, it wasn't in 3D, and it was also already an old ride by the time I got on it.

I've been pushing for a more SOARIN'-type STAR WARS experience, but I guess this scenario (if true) is good enough!

WDWFREAK53

More or less, but not really anything to consider a major tracked attraction. Mostly, the track will be used for an increased feeling of motion (swaying from side to side, rather than just shaking) and such... At least, thats what I've had described to me...

Oh I know that it's not a tracked section that the vehicle will be moving along (like Spider-man) but I was just curious as to whether the track is actually going to be used for movement elements or just to move the simulator into it's "position" for the ride to take place.

WDWFREAK53

It certainly was (IMO) when the queue was plopped smack dab in the middle of the seas pavilion. :lol: :lookaroun

:zipit: :lol:

Waste of space you say? Isn't it one of the most well-received attractions in all of Disney?

(Or did you mean that the attraction was actually good...just the location was a waste?)

palmage

Where will the projectors be placed for sides?
The front screen is angled so you can project from under the cabin.
The sides would need mirrors unless your projecting from inside the cabin???

Imaginationeer

Grow up. He's an adult and makes his own choices. All these morons talking down to him need to get a freaking life. News flash--it's not your job to worry about his job security. It's your job to mind your own freaking business and not complain about everything that happens here. You have the right to not read. I have the right to read. The guy has posted a lot. Disney reads the forums. Therefore, they already know about it, and if they wanted to deal with it, they would have. If he is using sources, his sources are well aware of what he is doing. So get off of your soap box. Gloating about how you are an insider who chooses not to share is simply annoying.
Don't be so sure of yourself. You think it's all fun and games here, but peoples jobs are at stake, not just this guy, if he even really works for us. You shouldn't make such bold comments if you don't know who people are and the affects of their actions will be. Trust me, if it was just his job at risk, i wouldn't take the time to shoot down some inane comment.

ToTBellHop

Don't be so sure of yourself. You think it's all fun and games here, but peoples jobs are at stake, not just this guy, if he even really works for us. You shouldn't make such bold comments if you don't know who people are and the affects of their actions will be. Trust me, if it was just his job at risk, i wouldn't take the time to shoot down some inane comment.
if his sources keep feeding him, they aren't worried. As I said, Disney is well aware of this as it has been going on for weeks. Apparently, no one cares. Maybe this was even a planned "leak" to keep the fans on their toes. This guy gives very specific technical details but also withholds a lot--almost like a teaser.

And bold is my middle name...I've been making bold statements here since 2001. It's probably not going to change.
Where would you place the projectors?
in the rear, of course.

Gorjus

Trust me, if it was just his job at risk, i wouldn't take the time to shoot down some inane comment.

Please explain how what he is doing affects anyone's job security but his. I am not responsible for your actions, and you are not responsible for mine. Now Disney does seem to subscribe to the parental mode of punishing the whole family because one sibling wouldn't follow the rules. However, that is just adding more silly hoops to jump through to be sure everyone (read: the one slacker) is doing what they are supposed to. A whole department doesn't get fired because one person messed up.

Y'all are starting to sound like we need to get a ruler out to measure who has the biggest...role backstage in imagineering. There is room for everyone.

Pete C

I'm getting a strong BACK TO THE FUTURE: THE RIDE vibe from this. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I have to admit I wasn't all that impressed with that attraction at Universal. But then, it wasn't in 3D, and it was also already an old ride by the time I got on it.

I've been pushing for a more SOARIN'-type STAR WARS experience, but I guess this scenario (if true) is good enough!

Well they are about as similar as they are now...they are both simulators. BTTF is a room full of vehicles all facing the same screen. In Star Tours 2 each ride vehicle will have 3 digital screens in the vehicle. Next, ST2 will have all new ride technology with movement along some sort of track for even greater force simulation. ST2 will use an external IMAX DOME screen which is a wrap-around screen that seems like it will be used to simulate the atmosphere outside the ship or something. Finally, it's in 3D...like you noted. I don't really see how the two rides are similar outside of the fact that they are both simulators.

I don't really understand your argument about Soarin, because Soarin is already a LOT more like BTTF than this concept. Soarin is a bunch of ride vehicles all facing a large screen.

palmage

Well.. my DLP TV at home is only about a foot wide.. Shouldn't take up too much space. I don't know how it would hold up to the constant movement, though.

I did the projection for Wild Arctic and Akbar and we used split head projectors because the hardware couldn't take the shaking.

So again, where could you put the projectors?

sknydave

I just said it wouldn't be more than a foot deep. You think a ride vehicle isn't going to have more than a foot of depth to it?

I'm just throwing out ideas. I didn't claim to have blueprints to the frickin ride system

themarchhare

Waste of space you say? Isn't it one of the most well-received attractions in all of Disney?

(Or did you mean that the attraction was actually good...just the location was a waste?)

Here here - honestly it's really one of the great new things for disney to fully implement. It adds even more to the storytelling that disney is famous for in their rides.

And more specifically regarding Turtle Talk - (and you may or may not have been sarcastic) this "waste of space" is actually leaps and bounds ahead of a new "premier experience" in tommorowland. Just food for thought :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom