Got Your Insider Updates Right Here

cmatt

sweet - wdw 09 here cmatt comes :) taking a short visit to dlrp next year as ill need to wait untill im 23 to hire a car anyway :)

this pleases me - i wonder if there will be updates for disney too :)

cmatt

Upward facing IMAX HD? With the cabins having new projectors this would mean either an opening -or lack of- ceiling, just like the new Kennedy Shuttle sim. Or a transparent one....

I can`t figure out DTS over Dolby either; but remember THX is a standard, not a format. In theory it could be applied to DTS as well.

nahhh - there is alot of difference imho to dd and DTS - more for home cinemas mind you. I find DTS to be alot clearer and well defined, whereas DD is good - but it doesnt sound as bassy or as deep (i think thats my amp more then anything...) - alot of disney films carry both dd and dts.....

Not so for cinemas - infact having worked in a cinema and hearing both types of sound tracks (different movies of course)

i couldnt tell the difference :lookaroun

thx is a standard - one that i cant afford, alot of home av amps go through certification so they can sell that as a + :)

- my av receiver was only £450... :(

KevinPage

I guess this goes back to the Pirateland thing. Why do we need/want lands tied to specific franchises. That is HUGELY risky. It puts a lot of stock and takes HUGE $$$ to redo if it dies.

I would sooner see MGM turn into specific "Streets" as the land, each of which has a feeling. We have Animation Court (which Pixar is a natural extension of), City Street, Action Way, Sunset Blvd., Hollywood Blvd., and something around the lake. Under umbrellas like this, you can transition things in and out without having to completely rebrand the land. It's cheaper in the long run and allows for minilands without explicitly stating such (think the Pixar section of Animation Ct. or Star Wars area of Action Way)..

I agree in theory. Pirates is not something that should be overdone, wo knowsd if the movies will stand the test of time.

Star Wars on the other hand has survived that test for 30 years and it's still relevant, even if you despise the last 3 movies. It works, there's a TON of source material to draw from that is varied enough to let the imagination go wild. MGM is about MOVIES. Star Wars isn't merely a flash in the pan. Countless video games, novels & 6 movies exist. It's almost weird to think that there really hasn't been a TRUE Star Wars attraction to this day. Star Tours is a rather weak effort IMHO.

As burnt out as I am from SW from a movie/toy standpoint, I would LOVE to have a section of a theme park dedictated to it so hey don't have to squeeze 7,000 ideas into a pre/post show & queue.

If Star Tours was 1 ride within a slew of SW attractions, it would be fine and a nice diversion. But as the ONLY Star Wars ride, it comes off rather lame.

Dizknee_Phreek

Now that I mention it, I still haven't seen that Motors Stunt Show and probably never will. Such a shame that this area of the park will be wasted with that thing for the next many years as I can't see them getting rid of something they just built.

Dude, don't knock it till you try it. I'm totally anti-action movies. Hate them with a passion. In terms of "action" in movies, I prefer adventure. I was completely convinced watching LMA would be a waste of time, but the rest of my family wanted to see it and I really didn't have anything else to do (not to mention I hate feeling like I missed out on something, even if I hate it). I ended up REALLY liking it! I thought it was great and truly impressive! Give it a go! You might actually really enjoy it! (although, I HATE that they shortened the tour because of it....and, to me, they totally messed up that end of the street...I'm convinced they could've done it some other way).

Anyway, I agree with Epcot82guy about themed lands. Very risky. If they were to make a Star Wars land, it would be completely separate from the rest of MGM. Like, it just wouldn't fit in with the rest of the park, you know? And I know we now have a Pixar "area" (street, really), but....it still looks like it will have the MGM "studios" feel and not a complete "Pixar" themed feel.

Thelazer

:drevil: I think I might be able to explain the projection systems and give more detail.

We know that each simulator will have 5 screens, one in the front and 2 on each side. Those screens are fixed and will move with the cabin. These are 3D projections.

The cabins themselves will at some point sit under a dome. What appears is that the top or some portion of the cabin will open up to give the ability to look up into space. These are the projectors that will sit under or around the simulators and are totally independent of them.

Not the statement about DTS being used when hatches open and close. There will be some audio happening "outside" the cabin when these dome projectors are in use.

As far as the track, it would make sense that you might load into the cabin in one room, then the unit slides while its hatch is closed under the dome. At the right point then, the hatch opens and you’re looking out into space in 3d. The hatch then closes and you slide back to the load/unload area, or maybe another area?

Also note the word "Puppeteer" there will be some form of live interactive element to this.

Now the hard part is fitting ALL this into the existing area, as well as having enough room to pump thru the guests. This could be the potter swatter, heck this could be the Spiderman killer if done right... note the word “IF”

Enigma

Account Suspended
If they remove the roofs so yuo look up into space then it won't be that your in a spaceship anymore...doesn't relaly make sense...The interactive element sounds dumb.

cmatt

If they remove the roofs so yuo look up into space then it won't be that your in a spaceship anymore...doesn't relaly make sense...The interactive element sounds dumb.

and surely they would have to emulate a vacum? :confused:

and how can there be sound in space....?

so in theory they have DTS HD on mute :ROFLOL:

bauton

Dweeb alert!!!!

In the Star Wars Universe, they actually have some sort of force field technology that you can look outside of your vehicle without letting in the vacumm. Think back to first film and the hanger bay that the Falcon is in.

cmatt

Dweeb alert!!!!

In the Star Wars Universe, they actually have some sort of force field technology that you can look outside of your vehicle without letting in the vacumm. Think back to first film and the hanger bay that the Falcon is in.

NEEEEEERD! :lol: ;)

ReDisniey E-Dew

Account Suspended
Original Poster
Since Enigma's constant negativity is cute, and since Star Wars nerds will jump for glee, let me see if I can point you in the right direction on what we're trying to do:

- If you "land" somewhere, don't you think you'd like to pop the top and get a better look?

- If somebody is trying to commandeer your ship, wouldn't it be cool if they said, "Hey, you with the gold necklace - yeah you! Who's in charge of this vessel? You're in a restricted travel zone, you know that?" "Careful Dan, the little girl in the back looks like she might be reaching for a laser pistol."

Those aren't actual lines and they probably wouldn't even fit in the ride, but I use them to give you an idea of what we can achieve.

Main Street USA

The best news to me in any of this is the revamping of a classic....
Spaceship Earth. It's amazing to me that they've actually made the decision to go with keeping the original ideas and designs of Epcot Center instead if implicating new ones (which is CLEARLY the direction they were heading a few years ago.)

New LCDs? Awesome! Smoother ride? Oh yeah! Beautiful post-show? Can't believe it! No wand? Wow......just wow!

Happy day for me, and nothing but good news. Can't tell can you? ;)

hrcollectibles

That's all well and good, but it's still a stinkin' simulator when you get right down to it. Give me a moving ride vehicle through set pieces anyday over something that just sits there and moves back & forth. But it's hard to complain if it turns out to be good. No idea how these AA's will work or be implemented, I just can't get my mind wrapped around it.

When the heck are they just going to do a whole Star Wars section of the park? It's long overdo. And that's coming from someone who's burnt out on the whole SW thing after the last 3 movies and could care less about SW weekends or collecting any of the toys anymore.

MGM needs a Pixar area, Star Wars to make it worth housing ToT & RnRC. Too much stuff that is not repeatable: B&B stage show, Stunt Show (both) & Fantasmic (due to queuing up so far ahead). Now that I mention it, I still haven't seen that Motors Stunt Show and probably never will. Such a shame that this area of the park will be wasted with that thing for the next many years as I can't see them getting rid of something they just built.

Forget Star Wars I want A Spaceballs Section :)

bauton

Dweeb Alert Part II!!!!

Could Colonel Sanders be one of the characters?

cupanudles

ReDisniey E-Dew, is there some general timeframe that you can give us of when the installation of new rides such as Star Tours, Indy and Imagination pavilion will happen?

cmatt

Dweeb Alert Part II!!!!

Could Colonel Sanders be one of the characters?

heheh that would indeed be awesome :lol:

ReDisniey E-Dew : vacum, would of been better *kicks shin*

pfft imagineering indeed :animwink: :p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom